++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #13,546 of 29,490
Hi, I'm planning to sell my Ultrasone Pro 750s and Buy a Pair of Bowers & Wilkins P5's.
The reason is I don't have any headphone amplifiers etc, and It sounds pretty good with my ipod, but not so much with my P67 motherboard's built in sound card. I'm thinking I bought a pair of headphones that are a tad more professional than my setup. I think it is recommended to have some kind of headphone amp or something to push these properly.

I'm thinking the B&W P5's should be more plug and play.
Any thoughts about this decision?

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #13,547 of 29,490
The title suggests this isn't for amps/sources but oh well. So after recently upgrading from my HD380 Pros to some DT770 32 ohms I was wondering if it would be worth the money to upgrade this DAC to something like a Fio e7? 

Here's a link; http://www.amazon.com/Tascam-US-100-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B002QQC1ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333223052&sr=8-1
ir

It's marketed as a beginners preamp for a Shure Sm57, which I bought it for initially, but it also doubles as a DAC/ headphone amp. Simple logic would say that a DAC for 80 like the e7 would be better than a pre amp/interface/dac that costs the same price. Any opinions? General advice with DACs? It might be worth mentioning that I'm in no way an audiophile and I won't drop more than a 100 on a DAC or tube amps, $500+ headphones etc. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #13,548 of 29,490
Can anyone compare the sound of the Dt770 80 ohms to the AHD-2000? Also how much exactly do the d2k's leak? My only hesitation about the ultrasone hifi 780 from the little bit of reading I have done on them is that they might not be as comfortable as I would like for longer listening sessions and that they might be too bright. I don't like treble that is too sharp so that It becomes fatiguing over time. I don't really have any reference of a more neutral sound, but I'm afraid if I go with something like the Shure 840 that I might become bored with the neutral signature and feel like the cans are a step down from my 595's, but not big of enough of a step up from my pann. RT-HTF600 for the price. Most of my listening will be done at home, so portability isn't a huge concern, but i will not be able to afford amp/dac right away if i spend money on another set of cans, so being able to drive them for a while w/o amp/dac is important as well as being able to listen to them around my g/f at home and every now and then on a plane or in a public space.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #13,549 of 29,490

Quote:
Can anyone compare the sound of the Dt770 80 ohms to the AHD-2000? Also how much exactly do the d2k's leak? My only hesitation about the ultrasone hifi 780 from the little bit of reading I have done on them is that they might not be as comfortable as I would like for longer listening sessions and that they might be too bright. I don't like treble that is too sharp so that It becomes fatiguing over time. I don't really have any reference of a more neutral sound, but I'm afraid if I go with something like the Shure 840 that I might become bored with the neutral signature and feel like the cans are a step down from my 595's, but not big of enough of a step up from my pann. RT-HTF600 for the price. Most of my listening will be done at home, so portability isn't a huge concern, but i will not be able to afford amp/dac right away if i spend money on another set of cans, so being able to drive them for a while w/o amp/dac is important as well as being able to listen to them around my g/f at home and every now and then on a plane or in a public space.

Ultrasones aren't really fatiguing. Thats one of their trademarks. I'd say both D2000 and DT770's are brighter and more fatiguing in the highs.  Also, if you're used to 595's , then 840's wont sound boring to you, they're much punchier, have more bass, livelier.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #13,550 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:

Ultrasones aren't really fatiguing. Thats one of their trademarks. I'd say both D2000 and DT770's are brighter and more fatiguing in the highs.  Also, if you're used to 595's , then 840's wont sound boring to you, they're much punchier, have more bass, livelier.

How about the comfort factor on Shure 840's vs Ultrasone 780's? I read some reviews that said the headband on the Ultrasones can be uncomfortable after extended periods. How bad is it?

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #13,551 of 29,490

Quote:
How about the comfort factor on Shure 840's vs Ultrasone 780's? I read some reviews that said the headband on the Ultrasones can be uncomfortable after extended periods. How bad is it?

I've always been puzzled at how some people can say Ultrasones are uncomfortable. I can wear them for very long listening sessions without ever feeling uncomfortable in any way. Now, head positioning is an entirely different matter :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #13,552 of 29,490

Quote:

I haven't found either to be uncomfortable.

At some point comfort is dependent on the particular size and shape of you noggin' combined with your own individual sensitivity.

As for sound,Shure, Beyer, Ultrsone, Denon and Senn all make good sounding all around cans.  The best course of action is to read some trusted reviews and--most important--listen to them (or at least as many as you can).  With regard to picking between and among the sound of (virtually?) any of the options discussed here, it's like deciding what flavor of ice cream you will buy three freezers of choices.

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #13,554 of 29,490
i have a question and i would greatly appreciate it if you all can help

looking to get the: ATHM50
                           Sansa clip+ ( or any other suggestions under 70$) that will
                           sound just a lil bassy  for RAP and HIP HOP mp3s(128kbps)

will i need a portable amp? (under 80$)
                           higher kbps?

or both?

just want the best quality i can afford and a good run for my money

thanks guys really appreciate your help

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #13,555 of 29,490

Quote:
i have a question and i would greatly appreciate it if you all can help

looking to get the: ATHM50
                           Sansa clip+ ( or any other suggestions under 70$) that will
                           sound just a lil bassy  for RAP and HIP HOP mp3s(128kbps)

will i need a portable amp? (under 80$)
                           higher kbps?

or both?

just want the best quality i can afford and a good run for my money

thanks guys really appreciate your help

You won't really need an amp for an M50, and if you're better off saving that money for a higher-end pair of headphones down the road. As far as the bitrates go, 128kbps is not ideal, and you might want to start fixing that, but it'll still be enjoyable.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #13,556 of 29,490
How portable are the Brainwavz HM5's? Trying to decide between the HM5 and CAL! but the hm5's look really bulky and heavy.
Need something for home use and also for use with the ipod when jogging, outside use (park etc)

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #13,557 of 29,490

Quote:
How portable are the Brainwavz HM5's? Trying to decide between the HM5 and CAL! but the hm5's look really bulky and heavy.
Need something for home use and also for use with the ipod when jogging, outside use (park etc)

They are light, but they are also big.  I can't imagine wearing them while jogging.  They might make good ear muffs in cold weather.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #13,559 of 29,490

Quote:
In that case, are there any that are natural/balanced sounding as the HM5's but not as bulky? Preferably in the same price range?

The CAL! is.  However, it is lightly built and will not stand up to punishment. 

In addition I don't get wearing over the ear or even on the ear headphones for jogging and similar physical activity.  Falling off your head; over heating your head and ears while working out; and getting sweat all over the inside of them and the headband moves me far away from such a use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back