++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #13,532 of 29,490
I was planning on buying some new iems.  I have the choice of ClarityOne's, Klipsch S4i, Bose mie2i, Monster iBeats, House of Marley Midnight Ravers, House of Marley People Get Ready, and ADDIEMS.  which should i buy?

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #13,534 of 29,490

Quote:
[...]

Quote:
A number of you folks with just a general idea of what you're looking for would be well served by spending some time looking at these buying guides, followed by some due diligence on your own concerning the cans from the lists that you find to be of interest.  Once you do that, you will receive better answers when you're ready to post your question.

Start here:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

and here:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Maybe we can get the OP to put this on the first page and tell people to read it in the thread title, since this will get buried fast.

[...]

Done. Just PM me if there are other useful links you'd like added.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #13,535 of 29,490

Quote:
Edit: The HM5's have been bought. Hopefully I'll like 'em!
Quote:
The thing is that the HM5s have a more neutral sound that may not give you the darker, bassier sound you're used to and are looking for. However, if you're willing to try this sound, that would be a good choice.

Quote:
Whoops, my bad... I think I was about to reconsider my arbitrary use of a gendered pronoun, but figured that the chances of being wrong were pretty small anyway... That'll show me to assume stuff like that. 
tongue.gif
 Hi.

Quote:
The D2000 and AKG Q 701 would give you very different sound signatures from two excellent mid-fi cans.  One is very good chocolate ice cream and the other strawberry ice cream.

Unfortunately I was unable to buy the Denon D2000s from the buyer after all. 
So back to the drawing board! ... Or advice thread. :D 

I have been thinking more about it, and it's probably true that I am used to the bassier sound. But I have read reviews on the HM5 and heard that their bass still has quite an impact, if not so warm in sound. I am not too sure what "neutral: the way the music was meant to be heard" means... although I am only going to guess that means flat-equalizer sound? 

Anyway, I am still considering the HM5 because of the MP4nation special. For $200 it could come with an amp... which I have only done a little bit of research on and it seems like it'll help push the headphones to new height.

On the other hand, I could get the Q701 from Amazon for $268. And if I get a FiiO E10 with that, it'll push over the $300 limit that I want to spend. The Q701s should be amped though, right?

I suppose I want to ask how different the HM5 is from Q701? Is it only in clarity in detail? I understand the soundstage should also be bigger on the Q701... but since I am coming from the D1K/CAL! I am guessing I will be impressed with the soundstage improvement from HM5 anyway...?

I think I am deciding leaning towards the HM5. Would anyone have any warnings against this? (I also have a hunch like it might be a FOTM...?)

But I would like to ask if it's unheard of to get a "middle-man" in Head-fi? Like someone who could buy the Denon AHD2000 from Elec-Expo and could ship to Canada and I could pay for everything? It seems sketchy, but I think it's been done in Geekhack before. But then, GH is a much smaller community I think... I'd do a request thread at the classified to ask, but it appears I don't have the post qualifications yet. =_=

Would there be any other recommendations for me? Just a recap that I listen to: Soundtracks (which I would say is synthetic classical...? Mixed with electronic), pop, R'n'B, a little jazz. And yes, I am coming from a more warm sound, but I wouldn't mind trying something new.

PS. Ahaha, it's alright. I feel like females seem to be a minority in technology forums. You never know though. Lurkers + not a lot of people ever say what their gender is on forums, people usually assume.

Hope you enjoy them! And for the record, I think there have been some kind souls who have facilitated in the purchase of limited distribution headphones, though generally on regional deals. Yeah, I need to think a bit more before I post... Don't want to seem unwelcoming or anything. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Quote:
HFI780/580, M50, LP2, D1100

Thanks man the M50's look perfect im going to try those out! 
regular_smile .gif

Cool, just make sure you've read a few reviews on each, as they do have competition.

Quote:
I was planning on buying some new iems.  I have the choice of ClarityOne's, Klipsch S4i, Bose mie2i, Monster iBeats, House of Marley Midnight Ravers, House of Marley People Get Ready, and ADDIEMS.  which should i buy?

What's your price range? TBH I think you can find something better in the range of your choices, unless you have some limited selection. ljokerl's review thread would be a good place to start looking. And just from your choices, I'd go for the ClarityOne. Haven't heard it, but I've heard the S4s and wasn't a fan, and there are some mildly positive reviews of the ClarityOnes.

Quote:
Quote:
[...]

Quote:
A number of you folks with just a general idea of what you're looking for would be well served by spending some time looking at these buying guides, followed by some due diligence on your own concerning the cans from the lists that you find to be of interest.  Once you do that, you will receive better answers when you're ready to post your question.

Start here:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

and here:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Maybe we can get the OP to put this on the first page and tell people to read it in the thread title, since this will get buried fast.

[...]

Done. Just PM me if there are other useful links you'd like added.

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #13,536 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm looking for the best all around performer at ~$75 that is COMFORTABLE and not lacking in bass. Please do not recommend the AD700 for I have it and it's miles too big for my head.
Also refrain from recommending the Sennheiser 5XX series as IMO the build quality is disappointing on it.
Cheers!

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #13,537 of 29,490
^@csm725:
I don't think I have the qualifications to give a recommendation, exactly.
But I did owe a pair of Denon ahd1001, and they were pretty good all-rounders (imho). The Creative Aurvana Live! apparently sounds exactly the same and is in your price range and quite comfortable, you might want to check them out, read out some reviews before someone else gives you more recommendations :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #13,539 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I'm looking for the best all around performer at ~$75 that is COMFORTABLE and not lacking in bass. Please do not recommend the AD700 for I have it and it's miles too big for my head.
Also refrain from recommending the Sennheiser 5XX series as IMO the build quality is disappointing on it.
Cheers!

+1 for the CAL!

Also check out the even lower priced Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones and Samson SR850 Semi-Open Studio Reference Headphones

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #13,540 of 29,490

Quote:
Cheers!

Shure SRH440. It's 100 dollars, but you can get it for cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #13,541 of 29,490
Okay guys, I am trying to decide between getting either the Sennheiser 598s or the Ultrasone HFI-780. I am extremely new to this, and these headphones will be the first high quality headphones that I have purchased. I mainly listen to Dubstep, Techno, Progressive rock, Alternative Rock, Metal, and Symphonic Metal. Which of those headphones would be best for my musical preferences? Thanks in advance!

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #13,542 of 29,490
First time posting, but i have been lurking around reading posts a LOT the past few weeks. Wanting to get a pair of Closed back around the ear headphones (despite my best judgement b/c I can't really afford to).

A little background..... I have always really been into music and kind of have become an audiophile by default b/c my dad is an audiophile and has always had nice equipment. I have only really gotten into buying and listening to decent headphones in the past year a half or so though. My first pair of speakers when I was in Junior high were Vintage B&W (don't remember the model) that my dad still had in the basement from college and gave to me. I then got a pair of Mission 761i in high school and have also since bought Paradigm Titans and Mission 771. I really love the warm sound of Mission speakers. I have had a pair of Sennheiser 595's for a little while now and just recently bought a pair of Panasonic HTF-600. I really love the detail, signature and soundstage of the 595's, but sometimes feel like they are lacking in the bass department and don't play as well with some rock,etc. Also I can't listen to them around my girlfriend b/c she has sensitive hearing and the leakage drives her crazy. I have been burning in my Panny's for about 40 hours so far and really enjoy listening to them and the fact that they are good for all types of music. I am not a basshead by any means, but do listen to some hip hop and enjoy having the extra bass response that i get from the panny's.

As far as musical preferences, my taste is pretty wide mostly indie/alternative rock, some heavier rock, hip-hop, jazz, acoustic/folk. Some of the music i listen to frequently include: Pavement, Flaming lips, Dinosaur Jr, Guided by Voices, Black Keys, Rancid, bad religion, Tech N9ne, De La Soul, Rick Ross, the Roots, Art Pepper, Bill Evans, Muddy Waters, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Bela Fleck and Flecktones, etc., etc.

What I am looking for

-Closed, over the ear, all around can that is good for a lot of genres, doesn't have to be really bass heavy, but able to sound good when i want to listen to hip hop and harder rock. Again I like the detail and warm sounds of my 595's and Mission speakers, enjoy soundstange (but not expecting them to sound as expansive as my open cans). 

Comfort- I love the comfort of the velour pads of my 595's and would love something comparable to these. style and looks doesn't really matter much

- minimum leakage- I want a pair of cans that I can listen to in the same room as my girlfriend at a decent volume without her complaining. Doesn't have to be super portable (prob wont walk around with them much) but something that I could use on a plane, train, at library, etc without worrying about bugging my neighbor.

-Something that is easy to drive, but would also benefit from an amp/DAC combo later. I don't have an Amp or DAC right now, since both the HD-595's and the HTF-600 do well without them, but plan on eventually getting both or combo somewhere down the line, after my wallet recovers from buying another pair of cans. Right now i mostly listen to FLAC files and some MP3s on my computer with the Realtek card that came with it and also sometime plug the headphones directly into my older Onkyo cd player. Also occasionally listen to music through my Droid Razr on the go.

Initial thoughts:
-DT770 Pro's
-AH-D1100

I was thinking that I didn't want to spend more than $150 (i am substitute teaching right now and pretty broke, but considering using some of my tax returns to buy another pair of cans, despite my best judgment),  but after reading a lot about these two and other entry level cans in this price bracket, I started to feel like while they were good cans, I might end up wishing i got a little better cans because of areas where these were lacking.

After seeing that the AH-D2000 can be found for $210 open box in the deal threads my thoughts were maybe i should save up money for a while and try to get these or a comparable pair in their bracket on sale. I probably will eventually upgrade my 595's with a better pair of open cans (When I am making more money and if the girlfriend doesn't threaten to dump me for my obsession with buying electronics)  but I would like the pair of Closed cans to be something that I will be content with for years without always having an itch to have something better.  

So any thoughts on the AH-D200 vs DT770's/ AH-D1100  give my tastes and needs? Any other suggestions? Sorry that this post is so long! My undergrad degree was English so my writing often tends to be lengthy and detailed.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #13,543 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay guys, I am trying to decide between getting either the Sennheiser 598s or the Ultrasone HFI-780. I am extremely new to this, and these headphones will be the first high quality headphones that I have purchased. I mainly listen to Dubstep, Techno, Progressive rock, Alternative Rock, Metal, and Symphonic Metal. Which of those headphones would be best for my musical preferences? Thanks in advance!

Both are excellent cans in their class.  I believe that the Ultrasone will give you that extra punch, especially in the lows, that will make it more enjoyable for you and in the genre's you like best.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #13,544 of 29,490

Quote:
First time posting, but i have been lurking around reading posts a LOT the past few weeks. Wanting to get a pair of Closed back around the ear headphones (despite my best judgement b/c I can't really afford to).

A little background..... I have always really been into music and kind of have become an audiophile by default b/c my dad is an audiophile and has always had nice equipment. I have only really gotten into buying and listening to decent headphones in the past year a half or so though. My first pair of speakers when I was in Junior high were Vintage B&W (don't remember the model) that my dad still had in the basement from college and gave to me. I then got a pair of Mission 761i in high school and have also since bought Paradigm Titans and Mission 771. I really love the warm sound of Mission speakers. I have had a pair of Sennheiser 595's for a little while now and just recently bought a pair of Panasonic HTF-600. I really love the detail, signature and soundstage of the 595's, but sometimes feel like they are lacking in the bass department and don't play as well with some rock,etc. Also I can't listen to them around my girlfriend b/c she has sensitive hearing and the leakage drives her crazy. I have been burning in my Panny's for about 40 hours so far and really enjoy listening to them and the fact that they are good for all types of music. I am not a basshead by any means, but do listen to some hip hop and enjoy having the extra bass response that i get from the panny's.

As far as musical preferences, my taste is pretty wide mostly indie/alternative rock, some heavier rock, hip-hop, jazz, acoustic/folk. Some of the music i listen to frequently include: Pavement, Flaming lips, Dinosaur Jr, Guided by Voices, Black Keys, Rancid, bad religion, Tech N9ne, De La Soul, Rick Ross, the Roots, Art Pepper, Bill Evans, Muddy Waters, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Bela Fleck and Flecktones, etc., etc.

What I am looking for

-Closed, over the ear, all around can that is good for a lot of genres, doesn't have to be really bass heavy, but able to sound good when i want to listen to hip hop and harder rock. Again I like the detail and warm sounds of my 595's and Mission speakers, enjoy soundstange (but not expecting them to sound as expansive as my open cans). 

Comfort- I love the comfort of the velour pads of my 595's and would love something comparable to these. style and looks doesn't really matter much

- minimum leakage- I want a pair of cans that I can listen to in the same room as my girlfriend at a decent volume without her complaining. Doesn't have to be super portable (prob wont walk around with them much) but something that I could use on a plane, train, at library, etc without worrying about bugging my neighbor.

-Something that is easy to drive, but would also benefit from an amp/DAC combo later. I don't have an Amp or DAC right now, since both the HD-595's and the HTF-600 do well without them, but plan on eventually getting both or combo somewhere down the line, after my wallet recovers from buying another pair of cans. Right now i mostly listen to FLAC files and some MP3s on my computer with the Realtek card that came with it and also sometime plug the headphones directly into my older Onkyo cd player. Also occasionally listen to music through my Droid Razr on the go.

Initial thoughts:
-DT770 Pro's
-AH-D1100

I was thinking that I didn't want to spend more than $150 (i am substitute teaching right now and pretty broke, but considering using some of my tax returns to buy another pair of cans, despite my best judgment),  but after reading a lot about these two and other entry level cans in this price bracket, I started to feel like while they were good cans, I might end up wishing i got a little better cans because of areas where these were lacking.

After seeing that the AH-D2000 can be found for $210 open box in the deal threads my thoughts were maybe i should save up money for a while and try to get these or a comparable pair in their bracket on sale. I probably will eventually upgrade my 595's with a better pair of open cans (When I am making more money and if the girlfriend doesn't threaten to dump me for my obsession with buying electronics)  but I would like the pair of Closed cans to be something that I will be content with for years without always having an itch to have something better.  

So any thoughts on the AH-D200 vs DT770's/ AH-D1100  give my tastes and needs? Any other suggestions? Sorry that this post is so long! My undergrad degree was English so my writing often tends to be lengthy and detailed.

First--no guarantee that anything I say will meet the standards of you girlfriend or insulate you the itch for something better (after all--your "only" talking about mid-fi options here).

I think you are on the right track--at least with regard to sound.  The Beyer DT 770 Pro might please all or nearly all "steak holders" here.  It sounds good (a little too "V" shaped to be "perfect"), is comfortable, isolates well, and has bass you can hear.  However, it is not the perfect can for portable use--not only because it is fairly big, but also because its more affordable and available version is 250 ohms.  You can get an 80 ohm version, which may sound a bit more like the DT 990 with regard to frequency response--or so I have read.  This is a bright headphone--different from your Senns.

The AH-D2000 is a very nice mid-fi can with lots of bass/sub bass, but probably leaks too much to please your girlfriend.  It's portability is about the same of the DT 770.

The Ultrasone HIFI 780 is also a bright can with good bass presence.  It's more portable then the other two and not just because it's under 40 Ohms.

You should also consider the Shure SRH 840--and very good and very efficient studio monitoring can.  This means that they are aimed toward neutral--not warm or veiled like Senns or bright like the Beyer and Ultrasone. The 940 is even better, but a bit above your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back