++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #13,456 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

wondering about the Denon D7000 vs D5000 does the sub bass extend as low with D7000? The headroom graphs indicate not, however the innerfidelity graph does (unless it's wrong)?

See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/333953/denon-ah-d7000/5235#post_8259343

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #13,457 of 29,490
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for the help I hope.

I am looking for an upgrade from the Denon ah-d1001s. I liked them a lot, but I am looking for something which the soundstage is a bit bigger, and the bass a little bit more controlled. I know the general advice would be probably to update to D2K... but the only thing is I live in Canada and they are hard to come by. 

I have been eyeing the HM5+FiiO E10 which is availably from MP4nation, since they can ship to Canada. 
The reason why is because I think they might have a bigger soundstage than D1K, but also because I think lately I want a little bit of more "relaxed" bass? (I like my bass, but only to hit hard, not "everywhere." In short, I think I want to try a little bit of a more neutral/colder sound than the warm sound I am used to.) I also think the FiiO E10 might be able to make the HM5's a little bit warmer sounding.

Anyone any advice on either of these two headphones/ anything else? I'm not committed to anything at this point.

1) I listen to pop (so yes the 'catchy beat' is important to me), classical (well, "soundtracks" of nearly everything, games, movies...), some jazz. 
2) I'm a student... so I am really hoping for something less than $250. DEFINITELY less thank $300 please.
3) Source: Macbook Pro and iPod. Nothing fancy.

If there's anything else I could clarify, please tell me, thank you.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #13,459 of 29,490

Quote:
here asking, Messages can help me out. or unless you wanna keep it here.

What is a good entry level Audiophile headphone to start out with? gain some ground, and a leg.

id like to keep it kinda low, nothing generic. i want something really Audiophile level but budget wise at the same time..

around 0-200+$?

please no crazy answers.. submitting 600$ headphones like Sennheiser HD700's or even rare electrostatic cans like K1000's

and, i like Rich mids, and good lows. and dry highs.  a considerable amount of bass, and easy to drive on a Ipod classic.

Circumaural headphones are a fav for me, they're really comfy, i dont favor Superaural headphones too much.

it can be both Open back, and Closed back (i prefer Open backed)

What you want is not possible. For 200$ you can't buy headphones which will give you really audiophile level sound even if used with a proper amp and source, let alone plugged into Ipod.  Your best bet is to go for something like Sennheiser HD558, and then buy an entry level DAC+amp, something like Headroom Total Airhead. That setup would cost you between 250-270 dollars depending on price you get. Those headphones have very rich and forward mids ,slightly recessed smooth treble, and decent amount of bass, but not a lot, its still a neutral headphone but slightly warm.

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #13,460 of 29,490

Quote:
here asking, Messages can help me out. or unless you wanna keep it here.

What is a good entry level Audiophile headphone to start out with? gain some ground, and a leg.

id like to keep it kinda low, nothing generic. i want something really Audiophile level but budget wise at the same time..

around 0-200+$?

please no crazy answers.. submitting 600$ headphones like Sennheiser HD700's or even rare electrostatic cans like K1000's

and, i like Rich mids, and good lows. and dry highs.  a considerable amount of bass, and easy to drive on a Ipod classic.

Circumaural headphones are a fav for me, they're really comfy, i dont favor Superaural headphones too much.

it can be both Open back, and Closed back (i prefer Open backed)

First thing that comes to mind is Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohms, but they're closed. You'll probably want an amp though. Something with low output impedance is best if you want to keep the bass under control. Fiio's amps are all low impedance (less than 1 ohm I believe).

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #13,461 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

Currently own a decent setup, but I am thinking of switching it up a bit. I currently run a NJC audio amp and DAC (Hand built in the UK, extremely neutral, do not colour the sound one bit and relatively cheap for the sheer build quality of them. check them out by googling NJC Audio uk).

Because of the price difference between DT880s and 650s, I decided to go with the 880s. I've been using them for a couple of months now, and whilst they've been awesome... I don't know. I kind of feel like they're too 'forward' and 'bright'. They're good for short sessions, but prolonged listening? (like I do). I don't think they're all that suited to it. It's kind of like they tire my ears out after a while, or I get sick of their overly forward presentation. Not sure how to describe it. I've heard the HD650s/600s may be more up my alley. The type of headphone you can really 'lose yourself' in.

Then there's the 650s/600s debate. I heard the 650s are darker and more bass heavy, whilst the 600s are more neutral. What do you guys reckon I should go for? Any personal opinions/experiences that can help would be appreciated!
For comparison, before this setup I owned a HD595 (still do) plugged into the PC audio jack. I loved it for years. because of this, I may be attuned to the 'sennheiser' sound.

I think I'm definitely leaning more HD650s, as 600s sound more like the DT880s I already have. Seems like the 880 is my 'analytical' phone, and I could do with one for just general listening.

Will requote as it fell off the last page.

Anyone offer some opinions?

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #13,462 of 29,490

Quote:

I am looking for an upgrade from the Denon ah-d1001s. I liked them a lot, but I am looking for something which the soundstage is a bit bigger, and the bass a little bit more controlled. I know the general advice would be probably to update to D2K... but the only thing is I live in Canada and they are hard to come by. 

I have been eyeing the HM5+FiiO E10 which is availably from MP4nation, since they can ship to Canada. 
The reason why is because I think they might have a bigger soundstage than D1K, but also because I think lately I want a little bit of more "relaxed" bass? (I like my bass, but only to hit hard, not "everywhere." In short, I think I want to try a little bit of a more neutral/colder sound than the warm sound I am used to.) I also think the FiiO E10 might be able to make the HM5's a little bit warmer sounding.

Anyone any advice on either of these two headphones/ anything else? I'm not committed to anything at this point.

1) I listen to pop (so yes the 'catchy beat' is important to me), classical (well, "soundtracks" of nearly everything, games, movies...), some jazz. 
2) I'm a student... so I am really hoping for something less than $250. DEFINITELY less thank $300 please.

The thing is that the HM5s have a more neutral sound that may not give you the darker, bassier sound you're used to and are looking for. However, if you're willing to try this sound, that would be a good choice.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #13,464 of 29,490

Quote:

To expand your sound stage, you will probably be better served by an open headphone.  Check out the AKG Q 701.  If it is still too warm for you, go the the AKG K 701 or 702.

If you want to stay with closed, consider the Shure SRH 940.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #13,465 of 29,490
Hi!
I'm a new member to the forum and I need your advice guys since you are the best (I'm writin all the way from Italy).
I need a good pair of around-ear headphones and they need to be 1)portable as I want to take them with me on my commute 2)able to block the outside noise as much as possible: I want to be able to listen to music / watch videos while on the train 3)compatible with iPhone (they need to have a mic and voice controls on the cable like the normal Apple earbuds) 4)not extremely pricey :)
I was looking into the Bose AE2i: is that any good? Any other recommendations? Thank you in advance for your help: I really appreciate it!
Ciao
Fed

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #13,466 of 29,490
Suggestion to all folks asking for advice: please make sure that your profile states your location.  It is clear that the market you are in is a major factor in determining what the best options are or might be.

Not picking on anyone (as this happens more often than not).  Even in the cases like smartchap's first post (immediately above), the fact that he tells us that he is from Italy is lost as the conversation expands and his first post leaves the screen. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #13,467 of 29,490

Hello dear forum colleagues,

So the deal is this: I have the possibility to get in the coming weeks either the LCD-2 Rev. 3's (let's see when they come up with them, with the new bamboo flavour), the HE-400, or the AKG 601/Grado 225i(I don't know if it was the quality of the recording, but they simply blew my mind --> completely voluptuos sound) or other headphones you might recommend. 

At the moment I am thinking of, no matter the option regarding the headphones, to get the FiiO E17, mainly because I will play 100% of the time music from the laptop, and I need both a decent sound card/DAC call it how you want, and an amp. And those/that need to be fairly small, easy to carry, and to be put together with the laptop in a small bag.

It is already stupid to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for something as trivial as art and beauty (sarcasm, of course). I would go bonkers to get the HD700, or worse yet, HD650/600 (listened to the last 2, found them absolutely boring, veiled, and stripped of beauty and fun, with a LehmanBrothers 800 euros amplifier, and a super serious source and quality CD), and need to pay double or triple the cost of the headphones to make them sound good. 

So the idea is this: I would like to get some rather easy-to-drive open cans, with beautiful bass, full, round, warm sound, just perfect for a few hours of continuos bliss. I want musicality and warmth. As a secondary pair I will probably get something like Bainwavs HM5, as the package provides a long term, durable, day to day intense use product.

I listen mostly to hip-hop (85% interested in the lirics - Common, 2pac, NAS, EyeDea, Athmosphere, etc etc) where I am mostly interested in having the lyrics as comprehensible as possible and with a nice, rounding, warm, decent base. After that, rock of the alternative kind, some soul, old r&b, jazz, and after that, some classical here and there.

So: mp3's (some older ones with 192kbps, others 256, others 320). Will start gathering the flacs and such, but this will come in time.

Long term wise: 1. would you recommend the FiiO E17 as a decent-enough solution for laptop listening and portability while traveling? 2. Would highly expensive products, such as the LCD-2 or HE-400 be a good match to the E17? And yes, for me, if I get the HE 400 or LCD 2, it's game over for at least 3 years, because on this occasion it's half me, half a gift.

LCD 2 + E17 ==> ? thoughts on that ? 
HE 400 + E17 ==> ?
Other + E17 ==> given the list of considerations above

I'm open to other combinations as well, with just a big reserve in having some separate DAC+AMP with significant physical volume. My room and desk are fairly small. My principle is start big on the cans, because to "marry" them to an upgraded source is just a matter of time.

Thank you in advance!

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #13,470 of 29,490

Quote:
What are the best sounding and isolating headphones under $200? I need no amping necessary, and good build quality/comfort. That would be a plus if they looked decent too.

I love my Shure SRH840's, their very comfy and are built to be on the road. SQ wise they have a dark sound, that's not to say that the treble is rolled off or recessed just that the lower mids and upper bass region is extenuated with these cans. overall they have a nice detailed (but not analytical) sound, and block out a reasonable amount of sound.

OR

Direct Sound EX-2, I don't personally own these but I have used the quite a few times and can confidently say that they sound really nice, very flat sounding, more analytical that the Shure SRH 840), very well built and light, with very good levels of isolation.

http://www.musiclab.com.au/product-info/direct-sound-ex-29-extreme-isolation-headphones (I have no affiliation with this website)
http://www.extremeheadphones.com/products/ex-29-headphones

FYI price is in Australian dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back