++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 23, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #13,276 of 29,490
Hello all, I'm looking for a pair of headphones for both music (metal, rock, classical) and gaming. 

I've been looking at the DT 880 Premium 250 ohm's. Or should I get the 600 ohms version? Other recommendations that are not over $309?

I'm planning to get either an Asus Xonar X1 or D1 as I want the 7.1 surround sound for gaming. Recommendations are very welcome. 

I will be getting a Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier.

What do you think? 

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #13,277 of 29,490
Hey guys I am looking for studio headphones to track and mix some music ive been working on. I went out and bought a pair of denon ah d2000s a couple weeks ago after seeing great reviews on them, and later found out that these are more for listening pleasure , so im looking to sell/trade these and get another pair or 2 for the tracking/mixing... Isolation/.Comfortability/Sound Quality are my 3 main things I look for when buying a pair. My budget is $300. Any suggestions on what you guys use or would recommend would help out a lot! Thanks
gs1000.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #13,278 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys I am looking for studio headphones to track and mix some music ive been working on. I went out and bought a pair of denon ah d2000s a couple weeks ago after seeing great reviews on them, and later found out that these are more for listening pleasure , so im looking to sell/trade these and get another pair or 2 for the tracking/mixing... Isolation/.Comfortability/Sound Quality are my 3 main things I look for when buying a pair. My budget is $300. Any suggestions on what you guys use or would recommend would help out a lot! Thanks
gs1000.gif

Shure SRH940.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #13,280 of 29,490
OK, Ill simple it down.

I want a D2000 with less harsh treble from my Benchmark DAC-1.
It will be for DnB, Trip-Hop and some Hip Hop.

Thanks again
k701smile.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #13,281 of 29,490
I'm new in the whole head-fi world and search a good headphone under 100$/euro. I've been searching here and on the net and found out that these two headphones are (the best?) budget headphones:

1. Superlux HD-668B (50 euro, Rank 10!)
  2. Panasonic rp-HTF 600 (50 euro, Rank 31)

I'm beginning to think that under 100 $/euro there are no better headphones. These budget headphones are being compared to > 200$ headphones, and therefore I'm beginning to doubt if there is anything better than when I still have 50 $/euro more to spend.

Any other headphones I should look into, or is my presumption right?

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #13,282 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm new in the whole head-fi world and search a good headphone under 100$/euro. I've been searching here and on the net and found out that these two headphones are (the best?) budget headphones:

1. Superlux HD-668B (50 euro, Rank 10!)
  2. Panasonic rp-HTF 600 (50 euro, Rank 31)

I'm beginning to think that under 100 $/euro there are no better headphones. These budget headphones are being compared to > 200$ headphones, and therefore I'm beginning to doubt if there is anything better than when I still have 50 $/euro more to spend.

Any other headphones I should look into, or is my presumption right?

You missed the CAL!

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #13,283 of 29,490
Hi huys,

I currently own a pair of ULTRASONE PRO 2900s and looking for a another can to "complete". I can spend up to 400$. The reason I am not giving up on the PRO 2900 is the incredible gaming quality and my huge Electro/Trance/House/Progressive Collection. I just need some cans that can complete the circle. What do you recommend?

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #13,284 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi huys,

I currently own a pair of ULTRASONE PRO 2900s and looking for a another can to "complete". I can spend up to 400$. The reason I am not giving up on the PRO 2900 is the incredible gaming quality and my huge Electro/Trance/House/Progressive Collection. I just need some cans that can complete the circle. What do you recommend?

I don't know much about your current cans, but an excellent phone that you can pick up within your budget it the Denon D5000.  Going to an open can, you can get the Senn HD 600, AKG Q701 (for just a bit more than 1/2 your budget) or the Beyer DT 880 Pro (and still have at least $100 or $200 left).

If you like the Grado sound, you can get the Alessandro MS-2 for $300 or the Grado SR325is for under $300 or the RS2i for just under $500.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #13,285 of 29,490
is CAL! the best headphone in its price range (>$100)? I mostly listen to pop, rock and r&b tracks. if there's a more portable headphone which sounds better and easy to drive (based from my music preferences) please feel free to recommend them. I will pair it with my ipod nano 6G and wont use any amp. thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #13,286 of 29,490

Quote:
is CAL! the best headphone in its price range (>$100)? I mostly listen to pop, rock and r&b tracks. if there's a more portable headphone which sounds better and easy to drive (based from my music preferences) please feel free to recommend them. I will pair it with my ipod nano 6G and wont use any amp. thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Koss ProDJ100 and its fancier sibling the Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone are excellent choices.  The Shure SRH440 (which you can get new & shipped from Amazon for as little as $63.00), folds up very nicely and is also good.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #13,287 of 29,490
those are nice headphones but coiled cords are a no-no for me since I use my nano as a watch, so imagine what I'd look like using those types of phones. haha. any recommendations for straight corded phones? or is CAL! enough?

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #13,288 of 29,490

Quote:
those are nice headphones but coiled cords are a no-no for me since I use my nano as a watch, so imagine what I'd look like using those types of phones. haha. any recommendations for straight corded phones? or is CAL! enough?

Are you able to stretch your budget at all? Sure there are some sub-$100 headphones are great but once you hit the $150 mark they begin to get really, really, REALLY good. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #13,289 of 29,490
this seems to be the thread for it - I am looking for advice in buying a set of headphones

for the most part I listen to jazz, funk, blues, rock, but also some electronica, punk, ska. When previewing stereo gear my go-to cd's / albums are Stanley Turrentine - "Cherry" (Japanese version) Stanley Turrentine " Don't Mess with Mr. T" and Papa Mali' "Do Your Thing".

Listening to various genre's I tend to like accuracy - if it's bassy I want to hear that, but if it's a more mellow track I want to hear that too.

I started out with Sony MDR 7506 many years ago, and I liked them for what they were which was back then a $90 pair of foldable headphones with decent if not great sound. Been reading here for a while and now I'd like to get something a bit better I am still not sure of the price range to be in figure in the $300 plus / minus range.

To give you an idea I started looking at this forum looking for IEM's in the $200 range (max) well I ended up with a P-51 amp and Westone um3x-rc's. I really like the sound from this combination. It also means I have an amp to use so it opens a lot of headphone options, hence my looking for advice

I am now looking for cans to use at home - typically late night when I can't just listen to the stereo. (ahh apartment life) I am open to open back designs as well as full cans as I don't think even the open cans will really bother the neighbors too much. So recommend away, thanks.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #13,290 of 29,490
I am in a little bit of a debate at the moment about which set of headphones to buy: Beyer DT990/600ohm or the Denon AH-D7000. I know that there is a pretty big price difference but if I am going to get what I pay for then I am all for it. I will just have to save up for a little while longer.

These headphones will be hooked up to my Xonar Essence STX and won't be going anywhere else. They will be multipurpose cans as at this point in time as I don't really see a need for two sets of headphones. I still would like defined sound as I have a variety of music that I listen too. Everything from classical to punk, from rock to reggae, ska, dubstep, house and electronica stuff too. As far as games go, as I will be using them for this too, I normally just play ArmA 2: Combined Ops with a sound mod that uses actual firearm recordings. I do play other games like Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Battlefeild 3, Medal of Honor but sadly enough no COD :p IMHO it has a nice story line, but the gameplay is just horrible.

Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back