++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 22, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #13,231 of 29,490
Hey all, I actually have a couple questions here.

The first one is for the benefit of a classmate of mine. She just uses the stock Apple earbuds, and I mentioned to her today she should consider an upgrade. I let her try my Xone XD-53's and she was in heaven. She mostly listens to classical music, so I told her that the Xone's are not the best choice, being DJ headphones. I told her I'd do some research and find something for her for around $100, give or take.

Now, when I came home, I realized I don't have a lot of knowledge about natural/neutral-sounding headphones. So i thought it would be perfect to pop in here and ask for some suggestions. I told her I wouldn't break her bank (~$100) and these will be her very first step into quality headphones, so I want her to have a great first impression.

Suggestions on that?

The second thing I wanna bring up is that I'm very interested in buying a portable amp. I didn't even know about them until recently, and am now very curious about buying one.

My current phones are ATH-Pro700MK2 Anniversary Edition's, so they have some of the best bass on the market. The mid/highs are improved from previous models, but still not the best. Much better than you might expect, though. Bottom line is, I'm wanting to hear suggestions for a portable amp that will compliment my Pr0700's sound profile.

Many many thanks in advance!

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #13,232 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I actually have a couple questions here.

The first one is for the benefit of a classmate of mine. She just uses the stock Apple earbuds, and I mentioned to her today she should consider an upgrade. I let her try my Xone XD-53's and she was in heaven. She mostly listens to classical music, so I told her that the Xone's are not the best choice, being DJ headphones. I told her I'd do some research and find something for her for around $100, give or take.

Now, when I came home, I realized I don't have a lot of knowledge about natural/neutral-sounding headphones. So i thought it would be perfect to pop in here and ask for some suggestions. I told her I wouldn't break her bank (~$100) and these will be her very first step into quality headphones, so I want her to have a great first impression.

Suggestions on that?

The second thing I wanna bring up is that I'm very interested in buying a portable amp. I didn't even know about them until recently, and am now very curious about buying one.

My current phones are ATH-Pro700MK2 Anniversary Edition's, so they have some of the best bass on the market. The mid/highs are improved from previous models, but still not the best. Much better than you might expect, though. Bottom line is, I'm wanting to hear suggestions for a portable amp that will compliment my Pr0700's sound profile.

Many many thanks in advance!

Hey,

For your classmate, for 100 dollars, tell her to buy the Sennheiser HD 439 or the HD 449. They are open back, so I guarantee you they will be awesome for classical. Or she can get the Audio Technica AD500 or the AD700. Buy on amazon, they have the best prices. I don't know much on headphone amps, so I can't help you out on that lol 
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #13,233 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm new to higher-end headphones.  I'm unfamiliar with the jargon, so you'll have to excuse me while I embarrass myself by trying to describe what I hear without them.

For the longest time I was aware of audiophiles and nice headphones in the same way I was aware of wine; I knew that good headphones existed and made a difference, but I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to tell a really good one from an average one.  I lost my existing pair of earbuds so I went shopping for a pair, and since I figured that they all sounded the same to my inexperienced ears, I'd just go for what looked snazzy.

So that's how I ended up House of Marley Jammin' earbuds.

And it's the most I've ever regretted any purchase.  They sound like ASS.  I don't know how to describe it... but it's like someone rolled up some cotton and jammed it into your ears before letting you put these earphones on.  You know how a hi-hat is kinda supposed to sound kind of like "tss, tss", right?  For some reason, all I hear is something more like a muffled "shh, shh".  In the end I went out and bought some Sennheiser MM30i's, which are okay right now.  I'm happy with them so far, but I've never listened to anything better, and I get the feeling that maybe I'm missing something -- particularly since I recently started experimenting with lossless formats of music.

Anyway, I'm looking for a pair of nice over-ear headphones.  I'm kind of nervous about suddenly making a huge upgrade and spending a lot without ever listening to them, though.  I listen to pop, rock, classical, electronic, dubstep, drum and bass, and Adele, mostly.  I like bass.  One thing is that appearance does matter to me, as I do plan to wear these outside.

At the moment I have my eye on the ATH-M50s (they look pretty sweet to me, seem to be $160 on amazon) and the V-MODA Crossfade (I'm not sure if the aesthetic appeals to me, $100 on amazon).  However, the price is looking a little bit steep for me.  Is it worth getting either of these two, and if so, which one should I get?  Or something else altogether?  Is there anything that's maybe around or under $100, since I'm nervous about making such a big upgrade so quickly?  I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear the difference between merely "good" and "great".

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #13,234 of 29,490
*post keeps getting buried, sorry for re-post*

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down..

Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80? / 250?)
($200 w/"free" amp)
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-250/dp/B006CU928I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332360007&sr=1-2

($187 without "free" amp, lol)
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-250-ohm/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332359648&sr=1-1

or

AKG 550
($250)
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K550-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B006IBILRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332360069&sr=1-1

So, some questions here:

- For the DT 770, what is the difference between the 80 ohm vs the 250 ohm (besides the obvious increase/decrease in ohms)

- Is the AKG 550 a worthwhile jump from the DT 770 for the price?

- I am also willing to get an Amp & DAC at a later point (which of these will benefit more from an amp?)

(Should also clarify that competitive gaming is the least of my gaming headphone desires, but I will still be competitively gaming)

Lastly, I could be talked into the Senn HD598's, but no one has really given me any reason why they are a worthwhile choice..

Once again, +1 thank you.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #13,236 of 29,490
How would these headphones compare:

AKG K271 MKII  -  £109/€132

Fischer Audio FA-004  -  £50/€60

Keeping in mind that I would be using mainly with a laptop. I may buy a Fiio E11 or some such, eventually.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #13,237 of 29,490
Well the title says it all, Seeking guidance.

There is no really proper way to start this I guess (ha) but I will attempt. Basically I am looking for the right headphones, but I cannot find them, and on HeadFi the more you ask, the more likely you will go broke. My history with headphones, would start with purchasing the ATH M50s, after they arrived I spent little less than 13 days and made sure they were returned back from where they came from. Literally people freaked out on how the M50s are amazing, I found it to be worse than my steelseries headsets, way to uncomfortable, and im sure for 150$ I could have found better can, and I will stand behind that statement.

Next I went ahead and looked at the Ultrasone DJPRO line, got some and tried them...man just bad luck I guess. I thought those were a joke to. For almost 200$, the headset that many people said had good bass, and was clear, sounded like muffled, and totally had the bass kill vocals any the MUSIC itself (I listen to acid jazz, jazz, classical, breaks, artists like sasha + john digweed, thomas bangalter) to name a few, and it totally was sub par and a waste of money.

This next one I was on my own, I thought to myself well, if headphones in the 200$ range are a cheesefest, lets just try some noise canceling headphones! HURRAY!, Did my research, bought some AblePlanets...k...WHELP just a total joke also, horrible sound quality, everything sounded like a wall was behind every song, and when you activated the "noise cancellation" audioable white noise could be heard, even if you turned up the volume, really pissed me off, so I returned those for 150$.

So I really want some cans that can do everything, Im not a basshead, but I would love to hear some bass in music. Last night I went around looking for the perfect cans, and found the beyerdynamic dt 880. But there are so many mixed reviews and reviews coming from audiophiles that dont take into consideration that some people may have never heard "sound" through an amp/dac like me. Im not looking to amp anything for right now, since my budget is 300$. The thought of the beyers soon faded, as people were saying the 32 ohms would still need amping to wake up, which led me to believe that they would sound bad if not amped. But that goes back to what I was saying, I have never heard anything amped, So maybe I would like them? I don’t know, I was hoping someone who is not one sided could lead me to the right direction, and yes I don’t care I AM A NEWBIE, but Id rather be a newbie and learn this stuff.

-Nick

edit: I would like to say that my new pc might have an asus xonar soundcard, it might not though

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #13,239 of 29,490

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80? / 250?)
($200 w/"free" amp)
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-250/dp/B006CU928I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332360007&sr=1-2
($187 without "free" amp, lol)
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-250-ohm/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332359648&sr=1-1
or
AKG 550 ($250)
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K550-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B006IBILRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332360069&sr=1-1
So, some questions here:
For the DT 770, what is the difference between the 80 ohm vs the 250 ohm (besides the obvious increase/decrease in ohms)
Is the AKG 550 a worthwhile jump from the DT 770 for the price?
I am also willing to get an Amp & DAC at a later point (which of these will benefit more from an amp?)
(Should also clarify that competitive gaming is the least of my gaming headphone desires, but I will still be competitively gaming)
Lastly, I could be talked into the Senn HD598's, but no one has really given me any reason why they are a worthwhile choice..

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?
The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm would be easier to drive and is a little more bassy then the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm need a decent headphone amplifier and has a little more clarity then the 80-Ohm.
I doubt the free amp is very good, better choice would be a cmoy headphone amplifier off eBay ($40-$65)
Best price for the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm is at B&H Photo-Video-Audio.
The Sennheiser HD598 is a well liked headphone, but prices on it is on the high side right now
Current prices on the HD598 is $235-$250, they have gotten as low as $175.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #13,241 of 29,490
Quote:
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?
The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm would be easier to drive and is a little more bassy then the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm need a decent headphone amplifier and has a little more clarity then the 80-Ohm.
I doubt the free amp is very good, better choice would be a cmoy headphone amplifier off eBay ($40-$65)
Best price for the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm is at B&H Photo-Video-Audio.
The Sennheiser HD598 is a well liked headphone, but prices on it is on the high side right now
Current prices on the HD598 is $235-$250, they have gotten as low as $175.

They will be plugged into my onboard sound currently, but planning on getting a sound card.

Thanks for the info on the the 770s. Do you have any comment on the k550s?

I might watch prices for a bit, wait for a good deal..

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #13,242 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm new to higher-end headphones.  I'm unfamiliar with the jargon, so you'll have to excuse me while I embarrass myself by trying to describe what I hear without them.

For the longest time I was aware of audiophiles and nice headphones in the same way I was aware of wine; I knew that good headphones existed and made a difference, but I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to tell a really good one from an average one.  I lost my existing pair of earbuds so I went shopping for a pair, and since I figured that they all sounded the same to my inexperienced ears, I'd just go for what looked snazzy.

So that's how I ended up House of Marley Jammin' earbuds.

And it's the most I've ever regretted any purchase.  They sound like ASS.  I don't know how to describe it... but it's like someone rolled up some cotton and jammed it into your ears before letting you put these earphones on.  You know how a hi-hat is kinda supposed to sound kind of like "tss, tss", right?  For some reason, all I hear is something more like a muffled "shh, shh".  In the end I went out and bought some Sennheiser MM30i's, which are okay right now.  I'm happy with them so far, but I've never listened to anything better, and I get the feeling that maybe I'm missing something -- particularly since I recently started experimenting with lossless formats of music.

Anyway, I'm looking for a pair of nice over-ear headphones.  I'm kind of nervous about suddenly making a huge upgrade and spending a lot without ever listening to them, though.  I listen to pop, rock, classical, electronic, dubstep, drum and bass, and Adele, mostly.  I like bass.  One thing is that appearance does matter to me, as I do plan to wear these outside.

At the moment I have my eye on the ATH-M50s (they look pretty sweet to me, seem to be $160 on amazon) and the V-MODA Crossfade (I'm not sure if the aesthetic appeals to me, $100 on amazon).  However, the price is looking a little bit steep for me.  Is it worth getting either of these two, and if so, which one should I get?  Or something else altogether?  Is there anything that's maybe around or under $100, since I'm nervous about making such a big upgrade so quickly?  I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear the difference between merely "good" and "great".

Among the very best non-basshead cans for under $100 are the CAL!'s (Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones) and Koss ProDJ100 & its fancier sibling the Koss Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone.

For more basshead types, check our the recommendations for such cans that are included here:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #13,243 of 29,490
Thanks for the recommendations!
I do like bass, though -- well, enough of it.

I realised a really important thing for me is that I would prefer everything to sound really crisp and clear -- but still have some bass to it.  I was seriously considering the V-MODA LP at first, but I got scared off by someone who said they sounded "muffled".  Does the ATH-M50 have this problem too?

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #13,244 of 29,490
Looking for some good closed backs, was originally pretty settled on the the M50s, but then stumbled onto the Fischer FA-003s/Brainwavz HM5s, which seem to be higher quality than the M50s and are also available about $40 cheaper.  I'm also looking to get an external DAC for my laptop, and was wondering if the FiiO e10 would be a good pairing. Total price would be $184+shipping, seems reasonable.  Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back