++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 20, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #13,186 of 29,490

Quote:
In the interest of saving money I was wondering what pair of headphones one would sugguest for under 150$ (Manufacturer refurb/B stock is not an issue for me as well as headphone modding). Also I'm not afraid of IEM models though I've no idea what I would be getting for 150 or less

What I need from the headphones:
Bass:I listen to lots of dubstep/EDM
Durability:I can be careless at times I'd like for them to survive a bit of wear and tear.
Comfort: with low profile glasses 8~ hour sessions

These will be used on my computer with a soundcard (probably with a Xonar_dg Asus soundcard)

I live in the CONUS

I'm Currently considering:
ATH-m50's 120 refurb (Lots of mixed reviews here people saying they're not worth 100$+)
ATH A700 120$ Amazon
DT 770's 179$ (Can't find them for cheap they seem to be my leading choice)
HD 558's 100$ "modded to 598's".

What I'd like from you:
Thoughts on the abovre headphones/reccomendations where to find refurbed/underwarranty DT 777's as they seem to be leading the pack for me.
Reccommendations on a good soundcard under 30$ (I know there aren/t many choices)
What I would be gaining/losing from buying a pair of IEMs in the 150$ or less pricerange

Where do you see 558s for 100

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #13,187 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Firstly I'm a bit hesitant on the HD598 (or any of the HD5xx series) for the reason below, taken from an Amazon customer review:

Aside from that, the ones I'm still toiling over are

ATH - A900 vs the ATH - A700
Beyerdynamic 770 vs 880 vs 990
AKG K550 vs AKG Q 701

...pretty sure it's going to be one of these cans.

Like I said:

Priority: Gaming (immersive/competitive/non-competitive) , Bass/Soundstage balance, Durability
Secondary: Music (classical, rock, metal), Movies (all)

Looking into closed cans because as a bass player, I do enjoy the feel of bass, but not so much that it destroys other sound..

I really appreciate the help you guys (and gals?) have given me, as this is my first delve into audiophilia I really don't know what I'm looking for specifically.. wondering if I'm just getting to the point where I just have to try them to know what I'll want.. still would like some opinions on the headphones I listed tho..

Thanks again..

The cracking issue was with the HD 5x5 series that the HD 5x8 cans replaced.  If you look at each series of cans, you will see obvious design changes.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #13,188 of 29,490
Hello I'm trying to find a pair of headphones in the range of 0-100$.

Here's my requirments:

On or over-ear.
Closed-backed with good noise isolation.
Durable.
comfortable.
portability isn't necessary.

It's going to be driven by an ipod and the majority of the music will be Metallica & Nirvana.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #13,190 of 29,490

Quote:

Here's my requirments:

On or over-ear.
Durable.
comfortable.

It's going to be driven by an ipod and the majority of the music will be Metallica & Nirvana.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want bass heavy or neutral?

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #13,191 of 29,490

Quote:

Here's my requirments:

On or over-ear.
Durable.
comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Just addressing the comfort and isolation requirements, the Sony ZX700s and V6s isolate pretty well and are also pretty comfortable. Something like the AKG K81/181 will isolate a little more, but also clamp more and will be less comfortable. Maybe also look into the Brainwavz HM5, though it's slightly out of your price range.

Quote:
what's your opinion about CAL!/denon 1001   vs.  denon ah-d510?

Never heard it, sorry. Don't want you to think I'm ignoring you on purpose.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #13,192 of 29,490
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down..

Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80? / 250?)
($200 w/"free" amp)
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-250/dp/B006CU928I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332360007&sr=1-2

($187 without "free" amp, lol)
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-250-ohm/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332359648&sr=1-1

or

AKG 550
($250)
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K550-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B006IBILRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332360069&sr=1-1

So, some questions here:

- For the DT 770, what is the difference between the 80 ohm vs the 250 ohm (besides the obvious increase/decrease in ohms)

- Is the AKG 550 a worthwhile jump from the DT 770 for the price?

- I am also willing to get an Amp & DAC at a later point (which of these will benefit more from an amp?)

(Should also clarify that competitive gaming is the least of my gaming headphone desires, but I will still be competitively gaming)

Lastly, I could be talked into the Senn HD598's, but no one has really given me any reason why they are a worthwhile choice..

Once again, +1 thank you.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #13,193 of 29,490
Hi, this is my first post, so go easy on me.  My headphone experience has been very limited and uneducated, mostly because sites like this aren't well known, and out in the real world, no one really knows about headphone qualities (at least in my world).  I have a pair of Bose OE's (the first generation), some Zagg Smartbuds, AKG 270 Studios that I used to make recordings about 10 years ago, and some Etymotic ER-6's with custom ear molds that at one time I used for in-ear monitoring.  I had a pair of Diddy Beats, but sold those at Christmas time for money to buy presents with.  So that is where I am coming from, and I hope someone can help me because I've been lurking on this site for a week or two now (found it by watching YouTube videos (InnerFidelity) and this site was mentioned.

So I have about $300 give or take, and would like to get something nice to enjoy my music with.  I have a bachelor's and master's degree in music, so my tastes range from opera/symphonic to classic rock to dance to electronic, all the way to bluegrass and a capella.  I will primarily be using my iPhone, iPod, MacBook, PS Vita, and work computer to listen to these with, so preferably something that doesn't require an amplifier (unless it's something really really portable and fits in the price range). I really would like some comfortable over the ear cans.  I really want it all: quality highs, mids, and lows.  At least as much bass as the Bose OE's but really with more clarity and definition overall than those.

Some examples of music I'm listening to now is:

Daft Punk: Tron Soundtrack
Beach Boys
Jackson 5/Jacksons/Michael Jackson
Cold Play
Lots of Bagpipe Band stuff
Boston/Journey/Queen/Styx
Tons of Contemporary Christian stuff (top 40 type sounds)
Devo
Grace Potter
Huey Lewis
Joe Satriani/Steve Vai/etc
London Philharmonic
Owl City
P.O.D.
Lots of Church Choir stuff/chorale pieces
U2
Van Halen

So with that in mind, knowing what I'm coming from, knowing that I'd like to spend around the $300 range for over the ear cans that are really comfortable and give me great sound, and I could care less what they look like...any recommendations?  I really wish I could audition some before making a purchase, but there is NO WHERE other than Best Buy around me that has any type of way to do that, and I was NOT impressed with anything over there.  Thank you in advance.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #13,194 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, this is my first post, so go easy on me.  My headphone experience has been very limited and uneducated, mostly because sites like this aren't well known, and out in the real world, no one really knows about headphone qualities (at least in my world).  I have a pair of Bose OE's (the first generation), some Zagg Smartbuds, AKG 270 Studios that I used to make recordings about 10 years ago, and some Etymotic ER-6's with custom ear molds that at one time I used for in-ear monitoring.  I had a pair of Diddy Beats, but sold those at Christmas time for money to buy presents with.  So that is where I am coming from, and I hope someone can help me because I've been lurking on this site for a week or two now (found it by watching YouTube videos (InnerFidelity) and this site was mentioned.

So I have about $300 give or take, and would like to get something nice to enjoy my music with.  I have a bachelor's and master's degree in music, so my tastes range from opera/symphonic to classic rock to dance to electronic, all the way to bluegrass and a capella.  I will primarily be using my iPhone, iPod, MacBook, PS Vita, and work computer to listen to these with, so preferably something that doesn't require an amplifier (unless it's something really really portable and fits in the price range). I really would like some comfortable over the ear cans.  I really want it all: quality highs, mids, and lows.  At least as much bass as the Bose OE's but really with more clarity and definition overall than those.

Beach Boys
Cold Play
Devo
Grace Potter
Huey Lewis
London Philharmonic
Owl City
P.O.D.
U2
Van Halen

So with that in mind, knowing what I'm coming from, knowing that I'd like to spend around the $300 range for over the ear cans that are really comfortable and give me great sound, and I could care less what they look like...any recommendations?  I really wish I could audition some before making a purchase, but there is NO WHERE other than Best Buy around me that has any type of way to do that, and I was NOT impressed with anything over there.  Thank you in advance.

A good all around can that takes little or not amplification is the Senn HD 598.

My question back to you, is do the format of your music (compressed) and/or source for playing it (e.g. computer with sound card, if any) make it worth spending about $300 on headphones?  Perhaps you would be better just getting the CAL (or something like it under $100--or just going with what you have), or spending some of you budget (say $70 to $130) on an amp--maybe a Fiio or NuForce.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #13,195 of 29,490
I asked in another thread as well, but I figured I would ask here too.

Do you guys think an Essence STX's amp would be best paired with a DT880 250ohm or 600ohm?  I know that the STX's amp isn't perfect for either, but it's my understanding that it could drive either decently enough (I'm not quite an audiophile, and I'll be using these mostly for gaming).  Do you think that the 600 would still sound better than the 250 when powered by the STX, or would  I be better off going with the 250?

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #13,196 of 29,490

Quote:

Beach Boys
Cold Play
Devo
Grace Potter
Huey Lewis
London Philharmonic
Owl City
P.O.D.
U2
Van Halen

Would open headphones be a problem to you? I noticed you said you'd be using them at work, where the sound leak out might annoy cube/office-mates, and lack of isolation might be a problem for you if you're trying to block out the world. At your price range, though, there's a wider selection of closed headphones in different sound signature, while around $300 your options for closed headphones, especially comfortable ones, thins out a bit. 

As far as Closed headphones go, there's only really the Denon D2000s for a bassy, warm sound, the Shure SRH940s, which are more neutral/treble-oriented, or Audio Technicas, though i don't know as much about those

With open headphones, you can get anything from Beyer DT770/880/990s, Senneheiser HD598/600, AKG K/Q701/702, etc, all of which are goodm and your choice will depend on your desired sound signature.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #13,197 of 29,490

Quote:
Would open headphones be a problem to you? I noticed you said you'd be using them at work, where the sound leak out might annoy cube/office-mates, and lack of isolation might be a problem for you if you're trying to block out the world. At your price range, though, there's a wider selection of closed headphones in different sound signature, while around $300 your options for closed headphones, especially comfortable ones, thins out a bit. 

As far as Closed headphones go, there's only really the Denon D2000s for a bassy, warm sound, the Shure SRH940s, which are more neutral/treble-oriented, or Audio Technicas, though i don't know as much about those

With open headphones, you can get anything from Beyer DT770/880/990s, Senneheiser HD598/600, AKG K/Q701/702, etc, all of which are goodm and your choice will depend on your desired sound signature.

Wouldn't open back suck most of the bass out of the headphones?

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #13,199 of 29,490
Open is fine.  I have a private office.  And I'm not opposed to small amplifiers if the amp + cans total is close to my price point of $300 give or take.  I just don't know ANYTHING about amplifiers, good cans, etc.  I didn't realize until this week just how very little I know about this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back