++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #13,066 of 29,490

Quote:
Ohhh. Get the Sony MDR-ZX100 ($19.99)...... Even though they are on ear, they are extremely comfortable headphones. Or you can get the Audio Technica ATH-T200........ (On sale for $11.99!!!!!!!!!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-T200-Closed-back-Monitor-Headphones-/120878024083?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c24e44593#ht_2323wt_1107

Thanks, I might get the Audio Technica's. One more question, if you guys don't mind, what about the MEElectronics M6? How well will it stack up to the previously mentioned headphones? More specifically the ATH T200's
p

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #13,067 of 29,490

Hey all,

I currently have a pair of SRH840's with a FiiO e7 & e9 combination.  That was my first voyage into head-fi, and I've had them for like half a year, maybe longer, but I'm looking to move up.

I listen to a lot of Scandinavian metal, like Sonata Arctica and Nightwish, and some other metal/rock.  I'm big into Blind Guardian recently, but more on that in a moment.

Unfortunately, I don't live alone, so I have to stay away from open cans.  This rules out the Grados, which I would have loved to try otherwise.

I'm listening to primarily 320kbps mp3's on my computer through foobar2000.  I'm replacing my collection with FLACs as I find them.  (as a side-note, what is the best way to get FLAC/lossless files?)

So, with all that in mind...  Before I had this setup, Sonata Arctica was by far my favorite band.  Honestly, I love vocals, male or female, I want to hear the singer up front and in my face.  I've found that with Blind Guardian on these cans, I turn the EQ up a few clicks between 1.8 and 3.5 kHz, with a click at 1.2 and 5.0, and I hear the singer loud and clear, up front and personal, just the way I like it.  In fact, that works for a lot of the artists I listen to, and I like the effect.  (This leads me to believe I'd like a headphone that naturally has more powerful frequency response in that range when compared to my SRH840's.)

However, Sonata Arctica's vocalist refuses to be moved, so to speak.  No matter what parts of the EQ I mess with, the sound is flat and boring, and I can't bring Tony Kakko to the forefront.  Such becomes my disappointment with these cans, I've actually changed my listening habits because although I prefer SA's music in the purest sense, most of my other frequented artists just sound more to my liking the way I'm currently set up.

Does that have to do with the mastering of the music, the file quality, or anything else like that, or is it the headphones?  I guess it could just be the way -they- intended it to be, too, but it's so easy to move the vocalist forward in other tracks from other artists...  My guess is it's at least partially because of the way it's mastered--newer albums sound better than the older, so they've improved--but I feel like I should be able to EQ the vocalist out a lot easier.  (But with headphones better suited to what I want to hear, that shouldn't be necessary, right?)

Anyway.  I know I rambled a bit, but with all of that in mind, where should I go?

I was considering Denon D5000's and switching to a FiiO e10.

Thanks everyone!
-Chris

P.S.: Just wanted to add that for $130, the SRH840's (originally recommended to me here) are a phenomenal value, and I really appreciate the recommendation.  Hence my return. :)

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #13,068 of 29,490

I'd consider the VModa M80, too. Tough not to recommend the ATH-M50... If you didn't need portable, I'd look at a used HD598.
Quote:

I'm a high school student, starting university next year, and I'm looking to invest up to 150 (pre-tax) in a pair of headphones. I don't mind going a little above that limit, but not too much.

I listen to literally all kinds of music, from classical / jazz when I'm working to house / bass heavy music when I'm just loafting. I want some proper headphones that are versatile, but can still pump out some decent bass. I'd prefer if they were relatively portable - I will use them both in home and while traveling.

I need headphones that are comfortable and preferably not too heavy. I've been browsing the forums and seen that you guys are fans of the ATH-M50's, but I've also been recommended some other headphones. What do you think would be the best purchase for me?

I want only over-ear headphones, no IEM's. Also, they shouldn't be ridiculously ugly looking. I don't mind wired vs non-wired. If a pair of good, active noise cancelling headphones exists without comprimising the mids and high's too much, I'd love to give hear about them as well.

Below is a list of all the headphones I've been recommended / have heard good things about.

ATH-M50 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tags-on-product/B000ULAP4U
ir
)

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro (http://www.amazon.ca/Ultrasone-DJ1-PRO-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101TBB2
ir
)

Sennheiser HD555 (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-Professional-Headphones-Channeling/dp/B0001FTVDQ
ir
)

Sennheiser HD595 (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0
ir
)

Sony ZX 700 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX700-Outdoor-Headphones/dp/B004P150LY
ir
)

ATH-AN7CB (http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC7B-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B002HWJT1A
ir
)

ATH-PRO700MK2 (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AUD-ATHPRO700MK2-LIST?SRC=D0301DT0HAMS0000&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=feed&)
Shure SRH840 (http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK
ir
)

Sony PIIQ (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRPQ1-PIIQ-Headphones/dp/B003MG07KW
ir
)

Sony XB500 (http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921665774402)

I know that is a huge list...that's why it is so tough for me to choose. With some of the pricier ones, I would probably buy a used pair (such as with the HD595) so that they still fall in my range. However, the fact that it is used would slightly lower it's standings in my opinion, because the warranty is probably out. However, let me know what you think.

I'd appreciate any feedback, and if you think that the best headphone set for my requirements isn't on this list at all, then I'd like to hear your opinion on your recommended pair (and maybe a link).

Thanks for your feedback!

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #13,069 of 29,490
This is a really tough list.. Portable and Comfortable don't do great together. I'd consider the VModa M80 which hasn't decent bass but is definitely a fun listen. You'll also have to look at the HD25-1ii which does thumping bass and is very engaging, though a little lifeless to me. I really didn't find either comfortable. The Vmoda M80 does look awesome, the HD25-1ii can be modded and can look pretty sweet, too. Perhaps more comfortable and with more bass is the ATH-M50. It's not a huge looker, but it's definitely not an eye sore. Out of the recommendations, there are relatively few often mentioned options, I think the ATH-M50 comes closest to meeting all your criteria.

Quote:

Hello! Please help me!

Need some advice, looking for something: 

Price range: up to £120 GBP. Source: iPod touch 3rd gen + Laptop. 

1) That has the best sound quality for this price range. 
2) Has amazing bass that is there and can be felt but is not overpowering/doesn't bleed very much. 
3) Looks amazing!
4) Is "lively" and "interesting" and "fun" to listen to. 
4) Is portable.
5) Is comfortable. 

Please help!

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #13,070 of 29,490
Get the MS1 and see if you like it; for the price, you can't go wrong! If you love the Grado/Allesandro sound, you can save up and get the upgrade. For me, the 225 was better but not better enough to justify the extra cost over the 80. But if I loved the Grado sound, it may have been! Grados resell so well (you'll lose ten percent maybe), but maybe not if you're willing to ship oversees.

Quote:
Hi all,
I got a question - what do you guys think of this combination:
Alessandro ms1i + bowl pads through a presonus firestudio mobile
Basically I'm considering getting a Grado.
I listen to mainly indie rock/Christian:
Hillsong united, john mark mcmillan, Mumford and sons, mgmt, city and colour, the killers, coldplay, and sometimes linkin park
Now, here's my history:
UE super.fi 5 pro - first real phones. LOVED IT!
Shure SRH840 - first real headphones. Was iffy about it at first as it wasn't forward sounding...the vocalist would sound like he was far away from me and blended into the soundscape of the instruments. GREAT separation and detail though! Didn't have those on the super-fi
M audio cx5 - first good studio monitors - LOVED IT! Great balance and detailed with nice bass extension
So now I'm wondering about the Grados. I know they have a forward presentation - something that I missed with the shures - but I also love balance (hence I got Alessandro's, not the standard Grado)
But now I'm wondering, is the ms1i the perfect compromise for me? I don't have $400 to spend for it...but I can probably save up for a 225i or and ms2 if I wait long enough
Or do you guys think the ms1i will be a good enough match for me?
The two alternative models are twice the price...I know the increase in quality won't be doubly as good - but they better be substantiallly and significantly better!
Thanks!

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #13,071 of 29,490

Quote:

I didn't choose the M50s over any headphones...... They are excellent headphones, for the price I paid for them (120 dollars.) For that price, it is hard to beat for their value. Now they charge over 150 dollars, and there are headphones for the same money that outperform them in every way (like the other headphones I mentioned) 
biggrin.gif

So I got Beyers dt770/80 ohm and Ultrasone HFI 780 or DJ1 pros 

Which one for comfort + metal and rock genre ?

Its my 1st headphone ...
I dont want it to be the best I just want a phone which I cant go wrong with in any way and will be a perfect 1st phones !!

Ty a lot !!

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #13,072 of 29,490

Quote:
So I got Beyers dt770/80 ohm and Ultrasone HFI 780 or DJ1 pros 

Which one for comfort + metal and rock genre ?

Its my 1st headphone ...
I dont want it to be the best I just want a phone which I cant go wrong with in any way and will be a perfect 1st phones !!

Ty a lot !!

Hmmmm...... If you use it through a computer and mp3 player, go for the HFI-780....... If you have an amp, go for the DJ1 Pro..... Get the Beyers if hip hop is your main priority.......

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #13,073 of 29,490
shure 840s are plasticy for me sorry.

ath m50 were my favourites and top of the list before I read lots of stuff about them being overhyped bassy phones

Good, they don't sound very good at all anyways.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #13,074 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks, I might get the Audio Technica's. One more question, if you guys don't mind, what about the MEElectronics M6? How well will it stack up to the previously mentioned headphones? More specifically the ATH T200's
p

The Audio Technica is guaranteed more comfortable than the M6s, mainly because the M6s are in ear headphones. Get the ATH-T200s..... You will love them 
cool.gif

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #13,076 of 29,490
I said nothing about the M50s, just the one I bolded. As for my comments click the Austin 2012 link in my sig.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #13,078 of 29,490
I currently use an HD555 + an X-fi XtremeGamer and am in the process of upgrading.

I recently just purchased an Omega Claro Halo, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones to go along with it.  My budget is about $300.  I did a lot of reading so far, and I seem to have narrowed it down to the DT880 or DT990.  

My question is whether or not the Claro Halo's amp is strong enough to drive either the 32ohm or the 250hm versions of the headphones (I'm assuming it would be far too weak for 600ohm).  Also, are there any other headphones (or headsets) for around $300 that are comparable to the DT880/990 for gaming?

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #13,080 of 29,490
In ears can easily be more comfortable than on ears, or even over ears quite easily. I prefer IEMs, even my universals to my full size headphones regarding comfort (and sound actually too). Feel free to post your preference, but don't say something that is entirely preference based is 'guaranteed'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back