++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #12,616 of 29,490

Quote:

Wow you weren't kidding. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Are you looking for pure bass or just something more fun? The Atrio MG7 is a common recommendation for purely bassy IEMs, and are like $99 with a 50% off coupon that's been circulating. The JVC FXT90 is one up-and-coming headphone for the fun segment. To get a feel for your options, I second the recommendation to check out ljokerl's review thread.

I did check out the thread, although at first very overwhelming for me, I finally made a decision to later probably purchase the HiFiMan RE-0 IEMs. At first I didn't like the way he made them sound, but after going back and reading through some descriptions of IEMs I've heard, I think I would very much like these for their price. Yeah I'm going for fun that can give me a kick for the bass. I'll have to check out the two you mentioned.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #12,617 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, Right now all i have that i actually listen to is the srh840. Right now i am trying to decide my next purchase, but the problem is i cannot figure out if the next logical step is an amp(since i've heard that the srh840 does not greatly benefit from an amp) or getting a new set of phones. The problem with getting a new set of phones is all i am running out of right now is a realtek intergrated soundcard, which is not supposed to be particularily good. So i need some advice as to what is probably the better logical step to go towards, and as i do not have infinite sums of money, i will likely be atleast a 1-2 month break to buy anything else. Thank you for any advice you can offer. If how i currently feel about my headphones is at question, right now they sound good, but just a little boring, I don't have anything worthy to compare them to though.

I could not listen to my Shure 840s with my Mac's headphone out knowing what they sound like with a good dac and headphone amp.  Many folks here would tell you to save the money and upgrade the headphone first.  I think the Shures are a really good value and worthy of a better source if you can swing it.  That same better source will benefit you down the line with any headphone upgrades you do as well.  So that is my logic,  
beyersmile.png
  and I'm sticking to it!

Good luck!

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #12,621 of 29,490

Quote:

only heard the esw9 and the d 1100. the esw9 is very musical and the mids are just amazing but it kinda needs an amp which defeats its purpose of being portable. the d 1100..... well idk i didnt like it its just really harsh for some reason i like its cheaper younger brother the d 510. so yea my 1 cent

Haven't heard much from the D510 so i assumed it wasn't very good. What do you think about it?
The D1100 is a bit over budget for me but is it worth it?

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #12,622 of 29,490

Quote:
Haven't heard much from the D510 so i assumed it wasn't very good. What do you think about it?
The D1100 is a bit over budget for me but is it worth it?

The website Bountii is a good place to find the best price on headphones.

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #12,623 of 29,490
I am not the guy to ask since, I have not tried any combo amp dac units in a long while.  But if I had to build a short list at that price point today,  the HRT Headstreamer would be on it.  I have not heard it but the designer is a a long time digital audio guy and well respected.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #12,626 of 29,490
Ohai again!

Thanks for all who chimed in to my hd650, k701 + Lyr question.

I've decided to get the Lyr, the 650s and the Q701s to try out. The pair that wins stays. The pair that loses gets returned. That is unless I'm not impressed with the whole package and then everything goes back (I don't think this is likely.)

Anyways, SUPER fired up.

Now I'm trying to find out how I can use my iPhone as a receiver for my media server at home. (Would like to be able to listen in various places.) Want to stream my lossless to it and into the amp. (I know that there are probably issues with the onboard DAC and whether I'm outputing from the 3.5mm plug or the LOD... but worth a try.)

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #12,627 of 29,490
Hey all,

I have a friend looking for a pair of headphones and I'm running out of ideas so I thought I'd reach out. His max budget he says is a mere $120, though I may pitch something in for a birthday gift, which sucks because he's had this revelation after hearing my Ultrasone Pro 900s. He understands there's no way he's touching the Ultrasones but wants something in the same path. He wants closed-back headphones, preferably with a removable cable, and a warm bass-heavy sound (techno and 8-bit music will be his primary use). In other words, cheap ultrasones. Any suggestions?

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #12,628 of 29,490
He could get like... Cheap Ultrasones. Literally. Ultrasone HFI-580, HFI-680, or HFI-780. From what I understand there's kind of a "house sound" for Ultrasones; they're along similar sonic lines. The HFI-580 comes to mind as the bass-heavy one (unsure about the 680 and 780), I owned them for quite a while (as my first taste of $100+ headphones) and really enjoyed them for both techno and 8-bit. The Ultrasone DJ1 is the same thing as the HFI-580 if I recall, but I believe it also has a detachable cable.

Quote:
Hey all,

I have a friend looking for a pair of headphones and I'm running out of ideas so I thought I'd reach out. His max budget he says is a mere $120, though I may pitch something in for a birthday gift, which sucks because he's had this revelation after hearing my Ultrasone Pro 900s. He understands there's no way he's touching the Ultrasones but wants something in the same path. He wants closed-back headphones, preferably with a removable cable, and a warm bass-heavy sound (techno and 8-bit music will be his primary use). In other words, cheap ultrasones. Any suggestions?

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #12,629 of 29,490
Hey All,

Looking for a new set of cans along with amplifier if need be. I can spend up to 400 dollars total. 

1. I listen to mostly pop music and classical trumpet music (usually in flac). I enjoy trebly songs to come through clearly. Not much of a bass head but like some sort of bass presence. 
2. I'm primarily going to be using these headphones while working/walking so some decent isolation would be great. Replaceable cords and/or ability to fold would be a huge plus. I need something durable and have had cable problems in the past so replaceable cords are definitely high on my list. 
3. Previously owned the technics (http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_rpdh1200.asp) and a pair of nicer ultimate ears super fi (http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/ultimate-ears-super-fi/4505-7877_7-31453329.html) with Comply foam tips (T-500). The IEMS were great but were uncomfortable at times and the cable had a lot of microphonics.
4. Let me know if I need to add more information to get better recommendations. 

Thanks so much!

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #12,630 of 29,490
Did a little bit of reading/research.

Right now the closest to what I'm looking for is looking to be:

Shure 840: Like you said it has that extra boost in the treble so that static peak won't be prevalent which would solve what I'm looking for....but

I'm looking also at the K701's which would open the treble range significantly which is where majority of my music tastes lie. (Synth/clear vocals), but with far more accurate bass. They're only 64ohm so they can be easily driven with my little portable amp (upgrade later to an Little Dot MK2 probably).

The only issue being price, as the 840's are only $154 and the K701's (probably the Quincy edition since it comes in balling green lol)  I can get for $272.

*sigh*

Thanks for the input though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back