++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #12,556 of 29,490

Quote:
What's going on guys. Firstly - this is my 1st post ever so bare with me if I sound stupid. I dont feel like going through all the topics so I thought I'd ask my question here.

My question is this: I want to buy new over-ear headphones. I'm gonna be using them mostly with my iPhone 4s.

I'm willing to pay 300-500$ for the headphones. I know some of you gonna hate me for saying this but Ive had Beats By Dre Studios for about six months now and after doing quite a lot of research Ive found out how over priced they are. In my opinion they are pretty good for hip-hop songs but some other genres simply don't sound good anymore. But anyways back to the topic.

What I do love about the Studios is the bass and that's what I'd like to hear with the new headphones too. Pretty much all of my songs are 320kb/s.

Ive read some pretty good reviews about Sennheiser HD650s. But I dont wanna spend my money without hearing your opinions too.

Thanks for the replies already!

Keep in mind that something like the HD650s will require a separate amp to power them properly, and are open headphones, which means that people around you can hear your music, and you can hear everything going on around you, which interferes with your music listening. If you'll use them on the go, as I assume you will, since you have Beats now, you'll probably want a pair of closed headphones. For more specific suggestions, it might help to tell us where/when you'll be using them, what kind of music you listen to, and a few more details on what kind of sound you're looking for.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #12,557 of 29,490

Quote:
Keep in mind that something like the HD650s will require a separate amp to power them properly, and are open headphones, which means that people around you can hear your music, and you can hear everything going on around you, which interferes with your music listening. If you'll use them on the go, as I assume you will, since you have Beats now, you'll probably want a pair of closed headphones. For more specific suggestions, it might help to tell us where/when you'll be using them, what kind of music you listen to, and a few more details on what kind of sound you're looking for.

Okay, thanks.

Im going to use the headphones pretty much everywhere - at home, shopping, sitting in the bus and so on.

I listen to all kinds of music to be honest. Mainly rap/rnb, but also alternative, pop-rock, electro, "mainstream" and so on. But as I said already, I'd love to hear some amazing bass too. All in all Id like the headphones to play pretty much every genre with great quality.

One thing I HATE about the Beats Studios is the sound leak. I love to listen to music very, very loud. So I wouldnt mind finding headphones that dont necessarily leak that much sound.

Hope this helps a little!

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #12,559 of 29,490
figured I would give the pannies a shot since I know what the HAX700's sound like I won't ever buy a creative product .. for what should be obvious reasons even if its a re-badge 
80 bucks is a bit outside my price bracket anyway unless they sound twice as good as the HAX700's or HTF600's

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #12,560 of 29,490
I have a pair Panny RPF-HT600 and was looking for another pair. I found the Sony xb500 which I like for bass. I also came across the AKG K 142hd and 172hd. I would like to get a pair but ok'd not find any reviews on the two. I am looking the for nice bass but would like to have some nice mids and smooth highs just a good balance. I have only heard the Sony on my I phone eq'd, So my choices are Sony xb500, AKG 142hd or the AKG 172hd.
Thanks.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #12,561 of 29,490
Ohai!

Major noob here. I'm looking to for a headphone/amp combo with two things in mind:

• Separation of instruments that give the music a three dimensional feel (soundstage?). I hate music that sounds flat and muddy.
  • I don't necessarily want something that is the super-accurate/neutral without much personality. (I probably don't want something super-colored either.) I think something that is moderately warm would be nice.

I've heard great things about the HD650+Valhalla pairing and the K701+Lyr pairing. (Yes... I like the fact that the Schitt line looks great.)

Any thoughts? Thanks, peeps!

Edit: Oh yeah. I listen to most every type of music but probably spend most of my time with rock and some pop.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #12,562 of 29,490

Quote:
Are you looking for pure bass or just something more fun? The Atrio MG7 is a common recommendation for purely bassy IEMs, and are like $99 with a 50% off coupon that's been circulating. The JVC FXT90 is one up-and-coming headphone for the fun segment. To get a feel for your options, I second the recommendation to check out ljokerl's review thread.

Atrio's M5 with MG7 driver is much more then just a bassy IEM. They just happen to have the best sub bass of any IEM the new MG7 driver provides a quality mid range and treble without being harsh.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #12,563 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, thanks.

Im going to use the headphones pretty much everywhere - at home, shopping, sitting in the bus and so on.

I listen to all kinds of music to be honest. Mainly rap/rnb, but also alternative, pop-rock, electro, "mainstream" and so on. But as I said already, I'd love to hear some amazing bass too. All in all Id like the headphones to play pretty much every genre with great quality.

One thing I HATE about the Beats Studios is the sound leak. I love to listen to music very, very loud. So I wouldnt mind finding headphones that dont necessarily leak that much sound.

Yeah, so in that case, the Pro900s are worth a look, as are the Denon D2000/1100s, as well as the V-Moda M80s/LP2s, Senn HD25-1s, etc. A lot of those are below your price range, though, because most portables and closed headphones that don't need amps tend to stay under $400 at the most...

Quote:
figured I would give the pannies a shot since I know what the HAX700's sound like I won't ever buy a creative product .. for what should be obvious reasons even if its a re-badge 
80 bucks is a bit outside my price bracket anyway unless they sound twice as good as the HAX700's or HTF600's

Sorry, what are the obvious reasons? I'm not too familiar with Creative's reputation outside headphones, really. Also, it frequently runs for $55 on Amazon (It was there yesterday), which is in your price range.

Quote:
I have a pair Panny RPF-HT600 and was looking for another pair. I found the Sony xb500 which I like for bass. I also came across the AKG K 142hd and 172hd. I would like to get a pair but ok'd not find any reviews on the two. I am looking the for nice bass but would like to have some nice mids and smooth highs just a good balance. I have only heard the Sony on my I phone eq'd, So my choices are Sony xb500, AKG 142hd or the AKG 172hd.
Thanks.

The XB500s, from my brief audition, seem to be a bit more bass-focused than you're looking for, with mids and highs recessed. However, maybe you'll have some luck eq-ing it? I don't know enough about the AKGs, but try using the search feature at the top here. I'm sure someone on Head-Fi has heard them, or at least one of them...

Quote:
Ohai!

Major noob here. I'm looking to for a headphone/amp combo with two things in mind:

• Separation of instruments that give the music a three dimensional feel (soundstage?). I hate music that sounds flat and muddy.
  • I don't necessarily want something that is the super-accurate/neutral without much personality. (I probably don't want something super-colored either.) I think something that is moderately warm would be nice.

I've heard great things about the HD650+Valhalla pairing and the K701+Lyr pairing. (Yes... I like the fact that the Schitt line looks great.)

Edit: Oh yeah. I listen to most every type of music but probably spend most of my time with rock and some pop.

I've very little experience with open headphones, but those both look like very nice setups. Perhaps you can get more specific comparisons by asking around on the K701/HD650 appreciation threads. Also, according to the people on the Q701 thread, they're very similar to the K701s, but just a touch warmer.

Quote:
Atrio's M5 with MG7 driver is much more then just a bassy IEM. They just happen to have the best sub bass of any IEM the new MG7 driver provides a quality mid range and treble without being harsh.

Sorry! I'll defer to your greater firsthand knowledge of the Atrios and let you answer that question then. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #12,564 of 29,490
What is the bass response like on Grado sr325i's? I've heard it's more so than it's lesser counterparts, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Any opinions on the highs? I've heard that to some people they can be rather fatiguing 

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #12,565 of 29,490
Been seeing all the raving reviews on the Denon AH D7000s and here in Hong Kong saw TWO stores with ridiculous deals on a pair.
My question is that I am not a bass-head and not really looking for bass in my headphones, I listen more to latin jazz, afro-cuban percussion and salsa / big band latin music....with the occasional chart music / classical tunes. Would it be worth getting these headphones otherwise?

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #12,566 of 29,490

Quote:
What is the bass response like on Grado sr325i's? I've heard it's more so than it's lesser counterparts, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Any opinions on the highs? I've heard that to some people they can be rather fatiguing 

Quote:
Been seeing all the raving reviews on the Denon AH D7000s and here in Hong Kong saw TWO stores with ridiculous deals on a pair.
My question is that I am not a bass-head and not really looking for bass in my headphones, I listen more to latin jazz, afro-cuban percussion and salsa / big band latin music....with the occasional chart music / classical tunes. Would it be worth getting these headphones otherwise?

Sorry guys, I don't know enough to really specific comments on particular headphones. For that, I think you're better off just finding an appreciation thread and asking there.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #12,567 of 29,490

Quote:
What's going on guys. Firstly - this is my 1st post ever so bare with me if I sound stupid. I dont feel like going through all the topics so I thought I'd ask my question here.

My question is this: I want to buy new over-ear headphones. I'm gonna be using them mostly with my iPhone 4s.

I'm willing to pay 300-500$ for the headphones. I know some of you gonna hate me for saying this but Ive had Beats By Dre Studios for about six months now and after doing quite a lot of research Ive found out how over priced they are. In my opinion they are pretty good for hip-hop songs but some other genres simply don't sound good anymore. But anyways back to the topic.

What I do love about the Studios is the bass and that's what I'd like to hear with the new headphones too. Pretty much all of my songs are 320kb/s.

Ive read some pretty good reviews about Sennheiser HD650s. But I dont wanna spend my money without hearing your opinions too.

Senn HD650 won't sound that good if it's not amped, even not adequately. That's the general rule of thumb for it, as I do not own nor have heard it before, so take that with a bit of skepticism. Alas other than informing you about that, I can't help a lot as bassy headphone doesn't fall under my preference, and someone already did replied to you, so IMO you're good to go. Although, do check out ljokerl's portable cans thread; he had compared quite a sum of over-ears that he considered portable enough. The only thing that pop up from  my memory (although it's pretty much unreliable most of the time :p) are Koss DJ1 pro. As you can see, I'm pretty much unreliable. :p

Quote:
Ohai!

I can't say a lot about those two other than what I have read about them (as I don't own them or have heard any of them) but generally the HD650 are the warmer, more laid back, yet still quite balanced all around. The K701 are more analytical, cold if you will, as they have less bass than the HD650, sparkly highs and great mids and a huge soundstage. From my reading, the K701 doesn't actually lack bass, in so much that they don't have much bass quantity compared to others in its price range, although if my memory serves well, they do have bass impact. Though according to various, and ever growing number of people, its celebrity-endorsed brother, the Q701, is more warmer yet still retain the sparkly highs and huge soundstage that makes the K701 loved by its owners. I recommend you read around their own appreciation threads to get more feeling on them first before buying them in that combo.

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, thanks.

Yeah, so in that case, the Pro900s are worth a look, as are the Denon D2000/1100s, as well as the V-Moda M80s/LP2s, Senn HD25-1s, etc. A lot of those are below your price range, though, because most portables and closed headphones that don't need amps tend to stay under $400 at the most...

While I think that the D2000 are a sound choice, judging from what I read of them they are not that durable. You need to baby them more and they are big and heavy to be carrying around on the bus and stuff. Although the Vmoda M80 and the HD 25-1-II are a good recommendation, IIRC he did say he wanted some over-ears. What I can suggest from my reading around it go look at the Phiaton MS400. Those are fairly portable, and have an arguably circumaural (thus over-ear) cups, depending on your ears' size.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #12,568 of 29,490

Quote:

Maybe it's just because I'm old, but I just don't get paying that kind of money to listen to music coming out an iphone (I have the regular 4).  I am coming to the conclusion that good mid-fi cans are better than most recordings--and I'm talking about quality uncompressed stuff on CD or vinyl--are not good enough to achieve or often even get near what the good mid-fi cans are capable of getting to your ears.

All that said--if you're going to spend that kind of money, get the Denon AH-D2000 and at least one decent amp.  The Denon's have great bass and sub bass.  They are great all around cans for what you'll pay--most especially if the J & R Head-Fi deal is still available.  If you don't like them, someone will be more than willing to buy them from you.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #12,569 of 29,490

Quote:

I have the 325 and the Alessandro MS-1, which is the first cousin of the 80/125.  The bass, clarity and build quality are all significantly better on the 325.  They are very bright, but not quite too bright for me.  That said; you should know that I don't use them every day and for everything.  In addition my ears were first wowed by headphones listening the "The Doors" in the mid 60's.  So age may be a factor.

You might want to take a look at the MS-2 as well.

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #12,570 of 29,490
Situation. 

I'm looking for a new set. I currently own the A700 and the M50's running off a PA2V2 (will upgrade later on, but no need in paying for what I can't utilize or need yet). 

My m50's have an issue with high treble shrilling and getting a very close static sound even on flac files running from a custom HD audio card in my laptop. My A700's handle treble far better, but the static is BARELY present. As in you have to really analyze it to hear it. Anyways, the point being is that I love the a700's, but I want a more refined version of them. 

My listening preferences:

High treble extension without shrilling (aka nothing too rolled off and a tad warm in sound signature)
Tight and Accurate bass (Something where you get the punch of a snare without muddle resonance)
Slightly forward Mid-range with an emphasis in the 500-4k band (Vocal Clarity)

Music I listen to:

Techno/Future Trance
Chillout (lot of instrumental/ambience)
Drum & Bass
Progressive Rock

Headphone needs:

Closed back
Non-fatiguing (usually brought on by a signature that's TOO forward)
Extended usage in a single sitting (5-6hrs+)
Over-Ear

Cost: Under $350

Portability is not a concern. If there's anything higher than 64ohm's I'll upgrade AMP/DAC, but I'll need to know what'd pair really well with the suggestions.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back