++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #12,511 of 29,490

Quote:
Any advice guys????

Pretty sure I already answered this, look back a few pages. I think I suggested looking into H2O Audio, waiting for the Sonys, and maybe the MEE S6s. If you need sweat resistance, there's not a ton of options in the high end.

Quote:
Well, my budget is $100

I would recommend checking out ljokerl's review thread for more options, as he's reviewed both the S4s and the iBeats, and ranks IEMs on a consistent numerical scale. It's really a labor of love, and it would be terrible if you didn't at least give it a look. Check the bottom of the page, where the summary chart is.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #12,512 of 29,490

Quote:
Since you did not indicate what type of sound you like or if you are in the U.S., I'll mention some cans I like that could work well for all around use.  For a brighter sound, look at the Beyer DT 770 Pro and Ultrasone HFI 780--both are closed.  For a more veiled sound the open Senn 518 and 558 are good.  The harder to get closed Brainwavz HM5 is a good all arrounder in a neutral package--from everything I hear about them.

If you can stretch your budget just a little bit, you might fall into a special deal or open box AKG Q 701 (open) or Denon AH-D2000 (closed).  Both are outstanding, but quite different from one another.  The Q701's have great clarity and better soundstage.  The D2000 has excellent bass & sub bass-without being basshead cans.  They are two of my personal favorites and great for all around use.

Caveat--I have no specific personal knowledge about you amp.

Thanks for the info. Honestly I don't even know yet, I haven't had any chance to try out really good ones. I think I might like ones with a bit more base, since I do like to listen to house, hip hop and pop but I also love classical music just not as often. 

I live in sweden but noticed almost all of headphones mentioned here in this forum is available here. Anyone know something about beyer DT 990pro? 

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #12,513 of 29,490

Quote:
Do you have any requirements for portability or isolation? For closed, the M50s/HFI780s are options for bassy DJ cans, HD25/M80 for portables, SRH840/HM5 for neutral. As far as open goes, the HD558s are pretty good all-around cans, ad700/900 soundstage well, people like grados for rock and metal.

Thanks for the info. Well I'm planing to use it with my laptop, so for portability I can count that out. Anything goes for me, trying to find out what's best for me right now

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #12,514 of 29,490

Quote:
My friend.. the Q701s are indeed a very good headphone, arguably better than my K701s, which have a slightly lighter bass, but retain the very good mids and the highs should be the same, or ever so slightly more present. Regarding the comfort, it does (since its absolutely the same) require getting used to.. if you have a big head like me! However they become very tolerable, if not comfortable on the long run. 

I think your MAIN problem is driving them! Driving them from your sound card on the laptop/pc can make the bass muddy and overpowering the music. It is really bad. With these cans you need a decent-good amp. You will have to part with some 200-300 usd. This will certainly make the bass tight and sharp, bring the mids forward, and tame the treble!

Do not sell them for a crappier pair of phones, it will be a mistake you will regret a lot! Regarding improvement in SQ in the 300-400 usd range, i dont think it will be very significant w/o an amp!

I dont know what are the prices in the US, but the retail in Europe on the Q701 is 400 usd, and on the K701 is $350. So for me, they are pretty much in this range! The reason why they are cheaper in the states, is I suppose the reduced demand. In Europe, they are very highly regarded. 

Some people say that the HiFiMAN HF-400 can be driven from anything without an amp. Even the company states that. (check it out) http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=115 It costs $400 and since HiFiMAN is considered a high-end company, I would suppose they are better than the K/Q 701. But they also lean on the warmer slightly bassy side.

However, i doubt it after I saw the sensitivity that you can drive them from an iPod or even a Laptop SC without distorting the sound.

I'll give them a bit more time to adjust to my head. But I do have a very large head, the flexible headband is all the way out. What would you recommend for a desktop amp then? I have a fiio e7, which only does a decent job amping them. I'd like something I could use with my iPod, not necessarily portable, just something I can use through USB or a 3.5mm/RCA. If you could PM me since it's not really on topic, that would be great. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #12,516 of 29,490

Hey everyone, new member of Head-fi and I must say my whole perspective of headphones has changed drastically. 
With that being said, i recently purchased the ath-m50s headphones and i'm loving it, but now I'd like to buy headphones for when i go to the gym (mainly lifting weights andnot running or anything with plenty of movement).

I'm hoping to buy a portable on-ear or over ear headphones. Since i'll be using it for lifting I'll mainly be listening to rap music or other songs that will "pump" me up so bass is a +. Also, not a requirement, but I'd love great isolation/non-leakage. 

I've already narrowed it down to the JVC HA-S700 and the Monoprice MHP-839.

Reasons why i chose these were because of the great reviews and cost of each. I like how the MHP-839's has a disconnecting cable, but I'm not sure if it will fit me properly due to having a small/medium sized head.  I really don't need high end cans for now. 

Please help! 
-Brandon

I'm not really sure if this is considered on the portable thread or full size one... Audiophile noob 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #12,518 of 29,490
Thanks so much guys!!!

Quote:
I am very inexperienced  with activity IEMs, however, I recently came across this: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/sport-headphones-earbuds-Sennheiser-adidas

I doubt that anything made my Sennheiser is not worth the money. Maybe you will pay a tiny bit more for the adidas logo, but they should be worth it! Since adidas is partnering them, they should definitely be sweat resistant.

Quote:
Pretty sure I already answered this, look back a few pages. I think I suggested looking into H2O Audio, waiting for the Sonys, and maybe the MEE S6s. If you need sweat resistance, there's not a ton of options in the high end.

I would recommend checking out ljokerl's review thread for more options, as he's reviewed both the S4s and the iBeats, and ranks IEMs on a consistent numerical scale. It's really a labor of love, and it would be terrible if you didn't at least give it a look. Check the bottom of the page, where the summary chart is.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #12,519 of 29,490
hey guys is there much difference between koss porta pro aand alessandro ms1i?

based on the ranking here they are quite similar

which is best for playing movie soundtracks?

and i like that out of head experience. so which would perform better at that?

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #12,520 of 29,490

Quote:
Those aren't really portable cans bro...
I know Koss has some cases on their website for pretty cheap, they might be too small though...

I will take a look at that, thanks!
BTW I know they are not portable. Im just going away some were soon and i need to bring my headphones with me thats why i need a hard case for it. I don't want it to get crushed on my luggage bag you know :p

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #12,521 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey everyone, new member of Head-fi and I must say my whole perspective of headphones has changed drastically. 
With that being said, i recently purchased the ath-m50s headphones and i'm loving it, but now I'd like to buy headphones for when i go to the gym (mainly lifting weights andnot running or anything with plenty of movement).

I'm hoping to buy a portable on-ear or over ear headphones. Since i'll be using it for lifting I'll mainly be listening to rap music or other songs that will "pump" me up so bass is a +. Also, not a requirement, but I'd love great isolation/non-leakage. 

Reasons why i chose these were because of the great reviews and cost of each. I like how the MHP-839's has a disconnecting cable, but I'm not sure if it will fit me properly due to having a small/medium sized head.  I really don't need high end cans for now. 

Please help! 
-Brandon

I'm not really sure if this is considered on the portable thread or full size one... Audiophile noob 
tongue_smile.gif

If you love bloated bass, go with the Monoprice. If you like a balanced sound, go with the JVC. The JVC is 10 dollars more. According to your post, you should go with the Monoprice. They are like 20 dollars on the Monoprice website. Oh and I own the M50s too
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #12,522 of 29,490
Any advice for a fella trying to move away from bass heavy headphones?  I'm a bass head and only own headphones built for bass.  I would like to pick up a pair of phones in the $75- $125 range that have a crisp and clear sound, some bass, but more balanced.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #12,523 of 29,490

Quote:
Any advice for a fella trying to move away from bass heavy headphones?  I'm a bass head and only own headphones built for bass.  I would like to pick up a pair of phones in the $75- $125 range that have a crisp and clear sound, some bass, but more balanced.

Get one worth at least the top of you range for only $54.99 at Amazon:Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #12,524 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Well I'm planing to use it with my laptop, so for portability I can count that out. Anything goes for me, trying to find out what's best for me right now

Well, if you'll be wearing them on public transportation, libraries, etc, open headphones will both leak noise out, which can disturb others, and allow ambient noise in, which can interfere with your listening experience, so they're not really recommended for that kind of use. Does that change anything for you?

Quote:

Please help! 
-Brandon

tongue_smile.gif

I haven't heard either, but if the Monoprices are sized similarly to the M50s (as they seem to be in this review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/monoprice-mhp-839/reviews/), you won't have a problem, as even the M50s need to be expanded a little to fit on my small head. However, like all DJ cans, they'll probably have a tendency to stick out from the sides of your head, which may be inconvenient. But of course you can probably make those comparisons yourself, as I see now that you also own the M50s. The JVCs do look a little more portable, however, if that's a big consideration.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #12,525 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys is there much difference between koss porta pro aand alessandro ms1i?

based on the ranking here they are quite similar

which is best for playing movie soundtracks?

and i like that out of head experience. so which would perform better at that?

I don't know that those 2 will be all that similar. For one thing, they're built for different purposes; the Porta-pros are obviously meant to be portable, while the Alessandros are more for home use. Also, the Porta-Pros tend to be fun and have a mid-bass hump, which I guess is good to get you pumped up for exercise and such, while the Alessandros tend towards a Grado sound (from what I've heard), and will probably emphasize treble a bit more. I don't know that either will be particularly good with movies, but for anything more specific you'll have to read some reviews and comparisons. That being said, I've never really seen any direct comparisons, given that they're in different price brackets and categories of headphone. Maybe look at ljokerl's portables review thread, which I think includes both headphones.

Quote:

Perhaps the Brainwavz HM5, Shure SRH840, etc for closed, AD700 for open? You didn't specify open or closed btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back