++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 27, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #12,496 of 29,490
I'm thinking of buying the Sennheiser HD429 or maybe the HD477*(if i'm not mistaken).
I generally listen to alternative rock, classic rock, and sometimes a bit of rap/hip hop. Like Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, and Eminem
Sound isolation and noise leak must be good.
What would you recommend?

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #12,497 of 29,490

Quote:
That's exactly what I was intending to grab but apparently it's soundstage and positional accuracy aren't good enough for FPS games
frown.gif

That's also what I've heard about the Ultrasone HFI580 and 780
frown.gif

TO ANYONE: Is there anything that performs like an M50 for music but is better for FPS gaming for about $200??

Honestly I don't think you will easily find a headset that is good for music and gaming. It's hard enough to find a set of headphones that is a decent all rounder for just music. My advice get a pair of headphones for your music and one for your gaming.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #12,498 of 29,490
Hi
I need help,  I'm searching for a pair of headphones that suits me. A pair of allround headphone, I pretty much listen to any kind of music. I have a fiio E7 amp if that helps and willing to spend around 200 dollars. Any suggestions? 

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #12,499 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay people I need some more help. I purchased the Q701s from Amazon, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to return them, because the headband is starting to hurt my head after less than 30 minutes of use. I love the mids on the q701, but I found the bass to be a bit overpowering, and the highs to not be as crisp as I would like. Could anyone recommend me a different can with good mids that aren't recessed, as well as good highs, but not something too simbilant, as I have very sensitive ears to high frequencies, and the bass can be non existent for all I care. Anyway, my budget currently is ~$267, so could someone recommend me a set of cans around that price, and preferably available through amazon so I can get them overnight with amazon prime? Also, would there be a large increase in sound quality if I stretched my budget to $300, or even $400?

Also, I'll be listening to mainly classic rock and a bit of indie music, so nothing too fast. Also, I have my music in lossless so headphones picky about source wouldn't bother me.

My friend.. the Q701s are indeed a very good headphone, arguably better than my K701s, which have a slightly lighter bass, but retain the very good mids and the highs should be the same, or ever so slightly more present. Regarding the comfort, it does (since its absolutely the same) require getting used to.. if you have a big head like me! However they become very tolerable, if not comfortable on the long run. 

I think your MAIN problem is driving them! Driving them from your sound card on the laptop/pc can make the bass muddy and overpowering the music. It is really bad. With these cans you need a decent-good amp. You will have to part with some 200-300 usd. This will certainly make the bass tight and sharp, bring the mids forward, and tame the treble!

Do not sell them for a crappier pair of phones, it will be a mistake you will regret a lot! Regarding improvement in SQ in the 300-400 usd range, i dont think it will be very significant w/o an amp!

I dont know what are the prices in the US, but the retail in Europe on the Q701 is 400 usd, and on the K701 is $350. So for me, they are pretty much in this range! The reason why they are cheaper in the states, is I suppose the reduced demand. In Europe, they are very highly regarded. 

Quote:
Could you also recommend me any 'phones around $400? Preferably that don't need an amp?

Some people say that the HiFiMAN HF-400 can be driven from anything without an amp. Even the company states that. (check it out) http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=115 It costs $400 and since HiFiMAN is considered a high-end company, I would suppose they are better than the K/Q 701. But they also lean on the warmer slightly bassy side.

However, i doubt it after I saw the sensitivity that you can drive them from an iPod or even a Laptop SC without distorting the sound.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #12,500 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Creative Aurvana Live fits the bill, though I don't know how much they run across the pond. They're $55 stateside atm and are excellent all-around.

Thanks, I can get them for ~£60 in the UK.

What about these headphones?
  1. KRK KNS 6400 (£70-80)
  2. Grado SR60i (£90)

I heard the 6400 was a little flat and perhaps more for analytical listening. Would that be bad considering my requirements? Apparently the SR60i is similar, but another recurring criticism is that they're uncomfortable. In terms of sound quality, how would these three be ranked, roughly? Feel free to suggest other headphones.

Edit: The CAL and the 6400 aren't open-back. My concern with the SR60i is its comfortability. Can someone recommend something better in that respect? I'm not too bothered about price, but at the £100 mark, I'd probably consider price over SQ.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #12,501 of 29,490

I know this is slightly off topic, but i am getting absolutely desperate! I need an amp and appropriate follow up gear for my K701s. After reading millions of positive comments about the K701 + Valhalla combo I decided on the following line-up:

Schiit Valhalla $349
Schiit Bifrost $349+($100)
+100 shipping 
Cardas MicroTwin RCA apx: $150
Cardas USB/SPDIF aprox $100

I am ready to make this entire purchase, the only thing BLOCKING IT is the negative comments ive read lately about the K701+Valhalla combo!!! AND STILL, NO CONCLUSIVE ANSWERS!!! 

I considered the Violectric, however i cannot afford it at this point. Besides, I intend to buy other headphones in the future which would work well with the Valhalla. (OF COURSE, keeping the K701, which is going to be my primary headphone for years to come)

If you have any conclusive data regarding this combo, please share it with me. I am not interested in subjective experiences regarding this pairing, I need to know if the K701 will play with no distortion, sibillance, or muddy base. I expect this amp to drive them to almost their full potential. Nuances I dont care about! I will be the judge of that. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #12,502 of 29,490

Any advice guys????
Quote:
I'm looking for a good set of IEMs for working out. I want something sweat resisitant, comfortable and with good sound for around $200 or less. I'm currently using the B&W C5 but think I'm gonna return them to the apple store as I keep hearing I can probably get more bang for my buck elsewhere. Should I wait for something like this to come out? 

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Balanced-Armature-Sports-Headphones/dp/B006K55748/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330274653&sr=8-1

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #12,504 of 29,490
Feb 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #12,505 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying the Sennheiser HD429 or maybe the HD477*(if i'm not mistaken).
I generally listen to alternative rock, classic rock, and sometimes a bit of rap/hip hop. Like Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, and Eminem

What is your budget?  Do you need closed cans or would open also work for you?

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #12,507 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi
I need help,  I'm searching for a pair of headphones that suits me. A pair of allround headphone, I pretty much listen to any kind of music. I have a fiio E7 amp if that helps and willing to spend around 200 dollars. Any suggestions? 

Since you did not indicate what type of sound you like or if you are in the U.S., I'll mention some cans I like that could work well for all around use.  For a brighter sound, look at the Beyer DT 770 Pro and Ultrasone HFI 780--both are closed.  For a more veiled sound the open Senn 518 and 558 are good.  The harder to get closed Brainwavz HM5 is a good all arrounder in a neutral package--from everything I hear about them.

If you can stretch your budget just a little bit, you might fall into a special deal or open box AKG Q 701 (open) or Denon AH-D2000 (closed).  Both are outstanding, but quite different from one another.  The Q701's have great clarity and better soundstage.  The D2000 has excellent bass & sub bass-without being basshead cans.  They are two of my personal favorites and great for all around use.

Caveat--I have no specific personal knowledge about you amp.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #12,508 of 29,490
Well, most headphones will have at least as much bass as the Q701s, so the selection is a bit more limited. Honestly, I don't know a lot more besides the ones I already listed. The FA-003/HM5 is another option for neutral, I guess, and the K701/702 are supposed to have a slightly different tonal balance from the Q701s. Perhaps some Beyers are more bass-light as well.

Okay thanks a lot!

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #12,509 of 29,490

Quote:
Better to save up than to be impatient.. I did the same, I was very impatient.. and well I spent more than I ever imagined. You will find out soon enough. 

Oh yeah. I am about done with mid/low priced cans. I don't think I will do better on the low end than my CAD mh310 so the next jump will be a big one. My hd595 just don't cut it either.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #12,510 of 29,490

Quote:
The K550's are nice, but don't have detachable cable, which pretty much rules them out for me.

Sorry, I missed that. Yea, I've looked at these, but like you said I'm not sure they're going to provide enough oomf when I'm listening to electronic music. I also prefer single-entry for cables rather than double.

Are the Ultrasone Pro 550 and AKG K271 mkII really my only options? I'm tempted to just get the Q701s and screw everyone else on the train and in the office.

Well, you could also take a look at the Shure DJ750s, which are more bassy and have that detachable cable, but there aren't a ton of options otherwise, unless you're willing to go to $200 and you're ok with on-ear portables (M80, HD25-1). I still would not recommend the Q701s for subway use, because you'll be able to hear everything around you, which can drown out the music. In the office it might be fine, though.

Quote:
sorry for asking this again, but last time I didn't really get a clear answer, I really appreciated the time the poster took to reply to me though. So thank you! 
but my question was:
SONY MDR-ZX-700 or CAL! 
I've heard the sq of the zx-700 and I liked it a lot. the sq of the CAL! is unknown to me, I've never heard it. 
other members say they like the sq, but is it better than the sq of the zx-700? 
and if it's not THAT much better, I'd rather go for the zx-700, because the zx-700 is available in a local store, the CAL! isn't... 

Well, I haven't heard the CAL!s, and the ZX700s only briefly, but according to ljokerl's thread, the CAL!s might be a bit better, but not by a whole lot. From what I've read at least, the CAL will give you a bit more bass emphasis. If you like the ZX700's sound, though, and you can get them locally, it might not be worth taking the risk on something you haven't heard.

Quote:
Generally, how do IEMS compare to headphones?  For argument's sake, let's assume that they are both unamped and the IEMs and headphones are low-mid price range (Example: ATH-M50 vs. maybe the HJE900?).  From my perspective (general public, I guess), I would imagine that a headphone would usually have better bass and sound due to the larger drivers, but that might not be true.  

There's not definitive answer, and a lot of it depends on your personal needs and sound preferences. Generally, full-sized headphones can provide more physical bass, simply because they're moving more air, and better soundstaging with open cans, but some IEMs might do better with microdetail. 

Quote:

Haven't heard anything really about the 477s, but I've heard the 428s briefly, and they seemed like they could work for rock-related genres, though the bass wasn't too strong, and they don't isolate that well. Don't know how much that's changed on the 429 model though. What's your price range? There might be something out there that fits you better. look around for some more specific reviews on those headphones, though.

Quote:
Hi

Do you have any requirements for portability or isolation? For closed, the M50s/HFI780s are options for bassy DJ cans, HD25/M80 for portables, SRH840/HM5 for neutral. As far as open goes, the HD558s are pretty good all-around cans, ad700/900 soundstage well, people like grados for rock and metal.

Quote:
Thanks, I can get them for ~£60 in the UK.

What about these headphones?
  1. KRK KNS 6400 (£70-80)
  2. Grado SR60i (£90)

I heard the 6400 was a little flat and perhaps more for analytical listening. Would that be bad considering my requirements? Apparently the SR60i is similar, but another recurring criticism is that they're uncomfortable. In terms of sound quality, how would these three be ranked, roughly? Feel free to suggest other headphones.

Well, as you mentioned, they all kind of fill different roles. The CALs are more for fun, all-around listening, KNS6400s for monitoring/DJ/neutral applications, Grados for rock and metal, if you don't need isolation. BTW, Grados are overpriced outside the U.S. so look at the Alessandros, which are made by Grado, but are distributed internationally. They're also tuned a bit differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back