++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 27, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #12,482 of 29,490

Quote:
If you thought the Q701s were to bassy (never heard that before...), maybe something like the SRH940 or AD900 could work, as I heard those are more treble-oriented. See if you can find some comparisons to gauge their sound compared to the Q701s.

The mids were definitely more of a bass oriented headphone... I just found that sometimes the bass guitar would overpower the other instruments, sometimes even the singer.
There's a Denon Ahd2000 on Amazon for $220, is it more of a bass oriented headphone as well?

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #12,483 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks the AKG ones look quite good; I've heard a lot of good things about them. Is the tightness adjustable? I'd rather it not clamp down too hard.

The tightness isn't directly adjustable, but the standard practice to deal with that is to keep it stretched out over a box overnight. It doesn't do miracles, but it works.

Quote:
The mids were definitely more of a bass oriented headphone... I just found that sometimes the bass guitar would overpower the other instruments, sometimes even the singer.
There's a Denon Ahd2000 on Amazon for $220, is it more of a bass oriented headphone as well?

The D2000s are definitely going to be more bassy than the Q701s, yeah.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #12,484 of 29,490

Quote:
The D2000s are definitely going to be more bassy than the Q701s, yeah.

Could you also recommend me any 'phones around $400? Preferably that don't need an amp?

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #12,485 of 29,490
Are the Monster Miles Davis Tribute/Trumpet a good pair of earphones for listening to rock/metal/the occasional pop? I know it's overpriced, but my friend lives a few hours from me and is asking me if I'm interested (so, i might get it for 150-200).  

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #12,486 of 29,490
What's the best set of headphones I can get $200~ that will be good with FPS games and hip hop music?
cheers, Abz :D

@abbztract
I'd say the m-50. They have good SQ and great bass. The soundstaging is good, but because their closed back it's not great for gaming. Audio technica's ATH-700 is a popular gaming headphone due to their incredible soundstaging, but their very bass shy. Personally I'd go for the m-50s

That's exactly what I was intending to grab but apparently it's soundstage and positional accuracy aren't good enough for FPS games :frowning2:
That's also what I've heard about the Ultrasone HFI580 and 780 :frowning2:

TO ANYONE: Is there anything that performs like an M50 for music but is better for FPS gaming for about $200??

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #12,487 of 29,490
I feel like I'm ready to move to some cans. My criteria:

Good quality, balanced sound. Yes to bass for when I want it, but no to muddy and artificial bass boost.
£250 or less
Detachable cord
Closed-back
Stylish - I know this is down to the individual, but I love AKG Q/K701's and Grados looks-wise (shame they're all open back).

Closest I've found to ticking all boxes so far are AKG K271 Mk2's, but some say they're only good for acoustic music. Also found the Ultrasone Pro 550s after reading some threads on here.

My music taste is eclectic to say the least. It's not unusual for me to move from dirty dubstep to some Chopin depending on how my mood changes, hence a need for balanced phones.

Source will mostly be my iPhone 4 (sorry), and I will couple my new buy with a Fiio E11+L3.

Thanks.

Bump? O_o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #12,488 of 29,490

Quote:

I would not recognize the Q 701 from you description.  Through what were you playing it? 

The d2000 is another great headphone, but has much more bass (plus sub bass) over the Q701. 

Maybe you should be looking at an Audio TechnicaATH-A900 Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphone.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #12,489 of 29,490

Quote:
Bump? O_o

AKG makes the AKG Acoustics K550 Closed-Back Reference Headphone.  I don't know much about, but I know that it has been discussed on this forum.  Here's some basic poop on it from J & R:

http://www.jr.com/akg-acoustics/pe/AKG_K550/#productTabDetails

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #12,490 of 29,490

Quote:
Could you also recommend me any 'phones around $400? Preferably that don't need an amp?

Well, I already suggested the SRH940 and the Audio Technica open cans (AD700/900, etc)... Most of the stuff up at that price will likely either need an amp or like one to sound their best, btw.

Quote:
Are the Monster Miles Davis Tribute/Trumpet a good pair of earphones for listening to rock/metal/the occasional pop? I know it's overpriced, but my friend lives a few hours from me and is asking me if I'm interested (so, i might get it for 150-200).  

First, Tribute or Trumpet? Those are two different models. Second, regarding the Tributes, ljokerl seems to like them ok, and says they're "warm and bassy," and they could be a good deal at that price. Go check out his IEM review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-225-iems-compared-id-america-spark-ue-super-fi-4-added-02-26-12

Quote:
That's exactly what I was intending to grab but apparently it's soundstage and positional accuracy aren't good enough for FPS games
frown.gif

That's also what I've heard about the Ultrasone HFI580 and 780
frown.gif

TO ANYONE: Is there anything that performs like an M50 for music but is better for FPS gaming for about $200??

Sorry, but I don't think you'll get a whole lot more out of this thread... Maybe you could just buy a pair and see how you like it? They say experience is the best teacher. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Bump? O_o

Already answered this earlier, I think I recommended the Brainwavz HM5.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #12,492 of 29,490

Quote:
Can you list out a few more over ear headphones in that range that's good? Thanks a lot.

Well, most headphones will have at least as much bass as the Q701s, so the selection is a bit more limited. Honestly, I don't know a lot more besides the ones I already listed. The FA-003/HM5 is another option for neutral, I guess, and the K701/702 are supposed to have a slightly different tonal balance from the Q701s. Perhaps some Beyers are more bass-light as well.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #12,493 of 29,490

Quote:
AKG makes the AKG Acoustics K550 Closed-Back Reference Headphone.  I don't know much about, but I know that it has been discussed on this forum.  Here's some basic poop on it from J & R:

http://www.jr.com/akg-acoustics/pe/AKG_K550/#productTabDetails

The K550's are nice, but don't have detachable cable, which pretty much rules them out for me.

Quote:

Already answered this earlier, I think I recommended the Brainwavz HM5.

Sorry, I missed that. Yea, I've looked at these, but like you said I'm not sure they're going to provide enough oomf when I'm listening to electronic music. I also prefer single-entry for cables rather than double.

Are the Ultrasone Pro 550 and AKG K271 mkII really my only options? I'm tempted to just get the Q701s and screw everyone else on the train and in the office.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #12,494 of 29,490
sorry for asking this again, but last time I didn't really get a clear answer, I really appreciated the time the poster took to reply to me though. So thank you! 
but my question was:
SONY MDR-ZX-700 or CAL! 
I've heard the sq of the zx-700 and I liked it a lot. the sq of the CAL! is unknown to me, I've never heard it. 
other members say they like the sq, but is it better than the sq of the zx-700? 
and if it's not THAT much better, I'd rather go for the zx-700, because the zx-700 is available in a local store, the CAL! isn't... 

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #12,495 of 29,490
Generally, how do IEMS compare to headphones?  For argument's sake, let's assume that they are both unamped and the IEMs and headphones are low-mid price range (Example: ATH-M50 vs. maybe the HJE900?).  From my perspective (general public, I guess), I would imagine that a headphone would usually have better bass and sound due to the larger drivers, but that might not be true.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back