++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 16, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #12,166 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, newbie here, i was just about to post a new thread when i saw this one lol.

I'm sort of a basshead, i like bass. A lot. I listen to a lot of dubstep, techno, hip hop/rap and rock. 

I'm looking for some headphones with SLAPPING, THUMPING bass. I want it to sound as if i'm sitting in a car with subs. 

I've been doing a lto of Googling, lurking on this site, and lurking Amazon but i feel as if i need a bit more information.

So, this site seems to be filled with experienced audiophiles who can help out a non-audiophile. I'm just someone who loves music, but i definitely don't consider myself among the audiophile elite lol. 

I'm looking for over the ear OR maybe even on the ear headphones. But no IEMs, as i already have a decent pair for the gym. My Klipsch's do just fine. 

My budget is sub 100$ but PREFERABLY sub 70$. 

Any help?

I say give Sony XB700 or XB500 a try.  Though xb500 is cheaper than xb700, some actually prefer the bass from xb500.
But I am not sure if any headphone will meet your expectation of thumping car subs.....

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #12,167 of 29,490

Quote:
The HFI-780 ($151.90 amazon) are argueably one of the best headphones for artists like Skrillex & Avicii (listening to now) They have plenty of bass just not overwhelming basshead extreme bass. I would suggest the Fiio E7 ($88.60 Amazon) and using the L3 (Line Out Dock) cable  ($3.45 Amazon)to connect your iphone. If you don't like you can return them all. So overall not a huge gamble and at a minimum it would give you a point of reference for describing what you want even more. I love my HFI-780's.

+ 1 for the 780's if you want strong but not overwhelming bass.

Give this page a look for a variety of choices:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #12,168 of 29,490
These headphones will be used for music, movies, and gaming. I currently use Denon DN-HP500 so I am sure that almost anything would be an improvement. For music I listen to just about everything except country and classical. Also these headphones need to be closed and provide minimum leaking. (I included the M50 because even though it is not all that great for gaming it is from what a have heard is very good for everything else.)

Here are the headphones I have been considering.

M-Audio Q40
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
BRAINWAVZ HM5

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #12,169 of 29,490
I have $400 and i'll be using my headphones for 70% music, (with my macbook with an E5 MAX) i listen to Prodigy, Black Sabbath, Green Day, and well, you get the drift. I'm fine with earphones or headphones, however i do prefer headphones (no on-ear). The 2 i have narrowed down to are The Beyerdynamic DT990-32, and the Sennheiser IE8, (yes, i like bass). Now the only reason i'm considering a headphones $130 cheaper (Amazon) is because i have a feeling that earphones tend be more expensive than headphones that sound as good, for the simply reason that it is expensive to micro-size everything. Another thing is that i don't like the hassle of putting the earphones on and stuff, as i'm really impatient. (And then i can't prove to my Beats-worshipping friends that Beats suck 
tongue.gif
) Also, i will end up getting the Beyer's much quicker (if i choose them) cause i'll have to save up less, and that is quite a big plus for me, cause as i said, i'm impatient. So, could you please suggest which one of these, or any other headphones/earphones? I would love to buy HD650's as the Sen service network is really prominent in India but i won't buy an amp so 
i cannot buy the 650's. 
I'm currently using the Sen HD555's, i love them, however they are quite bass light. Also, how much of an improvement would DT990's be over them? (please don't exaggerate) And, last question, what's a fair price for the DT990's, ( i can only get them online cause i'll have them shipped to a friend who'll bring them here whereas the IE8's are available in India for a fair price) 
And before you start coaxing me into buying an amp, let me just tell you, i am 13, i'll be saving up for around 6 months, (and i'lll also have to get awesome grades) So, i cannot ask my dad for an amp as he would think i am insane. Please give me your suggestions, mainly cause i CANNOT try out these. (The only headphones i CAN try out are Beat's Pro's 
angry_face.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #12,170 of 29,490
Hello, new to this forum , greeting everyone, anyway looking to purchase a nice good over ear headdy for myself to use.

I'm sort of a Vocal progressive trance guy, i listen to "vocal"alot and therefore i can say i really put High range and bass as what i really is after
i am looking for a nice pair to able to deliver the sensation and the relaxation of what progressive trance can deliver (i know some of you would understand me) bascially chilling on the sofa and close my eyes and enjoy.

So, this site seems to be filled with experienced audiophiles who can help me out. I'm just someone who loves music, but i am not an expert at it. its mainly used with my phone ipod etc. (3.5mm) and would mainly be used at home and used outdoor sometimes.

I prefer comfrontable over ear ones, atleast can wear for 1-2 hours. my budget is 200USD Max out at 250.

i have heard about Audio Technica, and would like some suggestions with respect to AT and also with Beyerdynamc.. however anyothers are welcome. just no Dres..

Also whats Close and Open?

Any help?

thanks.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #12,171 of 29,490
Hey guys! I've been on a great search for headphones! Ones that cost less then 300 bucks, don't break easily, and are a tight fit :B. Now I like most music, but I gotta say my favorites are chill out, house, trip hop, electronic rock, and some other genres that I have trouble labeling :x. Please help me [:frowning2:).

Some songs that might help out :frowning2:).

Mat Jarvis - Microscopic
Zion - Fluke
Mike Monday - When the Rain Falls << Oh I love full bassy feeling if you get what I'm saying :frowning2:)
Rob Dougan - Clubbed to Death 2
Jenna G - In Love (VIP Remix)

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #12,172 of 29,490
Hey guys, i know this isn't really the right thread to ask this, but I can't seem to find a relevant forum here, and seeing as this is one of the largest, I figured at least one of you would be able to help me. Is there anywhere on this site that discusses recording (like microphones)? There doesn't seem to be a forum dedicated to that, and Gear-Fi is listed as "Non-audio related gear." If not, is there any other site I could look to for help/advice? Thanks

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #12,173 of 29,490

Quote:
What about ones for portability? (Comfort, least leakage, under $250)

HD25-1 and M80.

Quote:
Music: Metal, Heavy Metal, Industrial Metal (Sybreed type stuff), Classic Rock (Pink Floyd Stuff), Dubstep, Trance, Nightcore.
Budget: $1,000 USD
Was looking at the Denon AH-D700 or Audio Technica ATH-W1000X.
Also considered the Sennheiser HD700's, but it sounds like the bass is no better than the AKG's I have.
Headphones I have now are in my Signature, mostly looking for some more bass for the Dubstep, Trance, and games like BF3. When I say bass I am talking about bass with punch behind it. The reviews I read on the Denon's seemed to fit that description the best.
I use my Grados for the Metal, and the AKG's for the Classic Rock, and the little Rap I listen to.

The Denons sound like what you want to complement your existing pairs with stronger bass. TBH, you probably have more experience than I do, so I'm not sure I can help too much. The A-Ts are supposed to be mid-centric and good for vocals.

Quote:
Should I buy the
"Monster Turbine Pro Copper Professional In-Ear Speakers" ?
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5734

Are they really as good as their reviews? I want to buy a great in ear headphones, but so confused, please help!

I listen mainly to Neoclassical Darkwave music, and some hiphop.

They're pretty good, but I strongly recommend you check out ljokerl's massive IEM review thread for more choices.

Quote:
Well this is clearly not the right place to ask this, but I didn't think making a new thread would be the right thing either so I'll just ask here. I always se people on head-fi talking about the quality of the music you're listening too. As far as I understand FLAC is a lossless type that is what you want. I've been downloading all my music off iTunes and wanted to know what the quality is like on those. And if it is not preferred, where can I get high quality music files for my iPod. I don't want to delve into high end headphones if my music isn't the proper quality.

iTunes now has all their music in 256 kbps MP3s, which are pretty decent, and shouldn't be a problem until you get into upper-midrange gear.  

Quote:
I did not see a thread like this in the "Portable" section so I'll ask here. I've been looking at ljokerl "shootout" list and I think I'm pretty close to making a buy. Any other recommendations would be appreciated, but these are the two I'm looking at. My budget is under a 100 with preferences lying under isolation and portability given I'll be using these everywhere from my macbook to my cell phone (Mytouch 4g).

Ultrasone HFI-450 
Sony MDR-V6

In terms of music, I don't wanna call myself a "bass" person, but I do enjoy a strong bump in rap songs (Eminem, Dre, Kanye). On the flip side, I listen to rock just as much (Oasis, Offspring) so hearing the other instruments in their full clarity among the "little things" you wouldn't hear with cheap headphones is what I enjoy as well. So yeah, if those two aren't good for what I want, I don't mind hearing recommendations =).

Maybe add the Creative Aurvana Lives to that list. For the most detail, maybe look into the Koss DJ100. For more specific comparisons, maybe you should just ask ljokerl directly, seeing as he's heard all of them. 

Quote:
Are the B&W P5's worth $250? Some people say they are overpriced. Do they leak a lot of sound? What about compared to ATH-PRO700MK2.

For sound alone, the B&Ws are not worth the MSRP. Where they excel, however, is in their usability, as they're extremely portable, comfortable, and convenient. They don't leak a lot of sound, and neither do the ATHs, though the ATHs will tend towards bassy.

Quote:

[size=10.0pt]Hey everybody, I am looking to buy a good new pair of cans.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]What I am looking for:[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Over-ear, circumaural is preferred (the style of the Grado sr125i's work too, but not sure how much they leak)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Price range $400 or less[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Not using an amp, so a can that sounds great without an amp[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Good strong bass, but clean and not overpowering (beats are way overpowered bass)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]I am going to be using them in public so leakage is not preferred, but I can deal with some[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Comfortable so I can wear them for hours without ear fatigue[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Not too experienced with this whole deal, so Im not sure what I want in terms of mids and highs, but as long as you can differentiate the notes well and hear the music clean and well sounding[/size]

[size=10.0pt]What kind of music I listen to:[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Pretty much everything: dance, hip hop, rap, rock, some alternative[/size]
[size=10.0pt](examples: Avicii, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Bruce Springsteen, Lupe Fiasco, Skrillex, Dispatch, Eminem, pretty much everything besides classical and country)[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Headphones that I have narrowed it down to based on this sites' suggestions:[/size]
[size=10pt]I really do not have a place to try these on so I have to go by your suggestions:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Denon D2000 - A lot of people have recommended these as they have good bass, but do they still maintain the quality of others with less bass. I have also heard some design flaws with the screw and the cord. Has anyone else had this problem?[/size]
HFI780/M50s - These are both much cheaper, but I do not know much about them. I read the review comparing the two above and he said that he likes the HFIs better, but that some complain about comfortability. 

[size=10pt]Conclusion[/size][size=10pt]:[/size]
[size=10pt]I am up for new suggestions if you think they fit my preferences better than the ones I mentioned, but I am really looking for the best all around performer in the areas I mentioned above. I listen to a lot of music, so it is hard to encompass all my likes into one headphone, but I hope you can help me narrow it down to one. I tried to supply all the information I could and I hope it is enough. [/size]

[size=10pt]I am hoping this is the last time I have to post and that you guys can help me pin down one that would work best for me.[/size]

[size=10pt]Best sound! Most comfortable! Cleanest and strongest bass![/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks in advance for your help.[/size]

Strongest bass definitely goes to the D2000s, but as a previous poster said, they're the least portable, and there are some issues with build quality. 

Quote:
What amp would you recommend? The fiio e6 seems reasonably priced and I've seen it talked about on here. I will mostly be using it with an iphone so getting the thing to connect that to the ipod and the amp is pretty cheap and easy if you think that will work. You mentioned the 580s are bassier, does that mean that the 780s do not have good enough bass for artists like avicii and skrillex? The ultrasone pro 900s are a little too pricey for me. 

I hope these will be good enough quality headphones to make me very happy for a few years, so I dont have to be hungry for more, but I definitely know what you mean.

The E6 probably will provide only a marginal improvement in sound, and you're better off putting the money towards better headphones, unless you want the bass boost. I would go with the 780s btw.

Quote:
Hello, newbie here, i was just about to post a new thread when i saw this one lol.

I'm sort of a basshead, i like bass. A lot. I listen to a lot of dubstep, techno, hip hop/rap and rock. 

I'm looking for some headphones with SLAPPING, THUMPING bass. I want it to sound as if i'm sitting in a car with subs. 

I've been doing a lto of Googling, lurking on this site, and lurking Amazon but i feel as if i need a bit more information.

So, this site seems to be filled with experienced audiophiles who can help out a non-audiophile. I'm just someone who loves music, but i definitely don't consider myself among the audiophile elite lol. 

I'm looking for over the ear OR maybe even on the ear headphones. But no IEMs, as i already have a decent pair for the gym. My Klipsch's do just fine. 

My budget is sub 100$ but PREFERABLY sub 70$. 

Any help?

Maybe the V-Moda Crossfades?

Quote:
These headphones will be used for music, movies, and gaming. I currently use Denon DN-HP500 so I am sure that almost anything would be an improvement. For music I listen to just about everything except country and classical. Also these headphones need to be closed and provide minimum leaking. (I included the M50 because even though it is not all that great for gaming it is from what a have heard is very good for everything else.)

Here are the headphones I have been considering.

M-Audio Q40
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
BRAINWAVZ HM5

The M50s are pretty good jacks of all trades, and other cans in that vein include The Ultrasone HFI780s. The HM5s are more neutral, if that's the sound you prefer, and are similar to the SRH840s. I can help more if I know what music you listen to.

Quote:
I have $400 and i'll be using my headphones for 70% music, (with my macbook with an E5 MAX) i listen to Prodigy, Black Sabbath, Green Day, and well, you get the drift. I'm fine with earphones or headphones, however i do prefer headphones (no on-ear). The 2 i have narrowed down to are The Beyerdynamic DT990-32, and the Sennheiser IE8, (yes, i like bass). Now the only reason i'm considering a headphones $130 cheaper (Amazon) is because i have a feeling that earphones tend be more expensive than headphones that sound as good, for the simply reason that it is expensive to micro-size everything. Another thing is that i don't like the hassle of putting the earphones on and stuff, as i'm really impatient. (And then i can't prove to my Beats-worshipping friends that Beats suck 
tongue.gif
) Also, i will end up getting the Beyer's much quicker (if i choose them) cause i'll have to save up less, and that is quite a big plus for me, cause as i said, i'm impatient. So, could you please suggest which one of these, or any other headphones/earphones? I would love to buy HD650's as the Sen service network is really prominent in India but i won't buy an amp so 
i cannot buy the 650's. 
I'm currently using the Sen HD555's, i love them, however they are quite bass light. Also, how much of an improvement would DT990's be over them? (please don't exaggerate) And, last question, what's a fair price for the DT990's, ( i can only get them online cause i'll have them shipped to a friend who'll bring them here whereas the IE8's are available in India for a fair price) 
And before you start coaxing me into buying an amp, let me just tell you, i am 13, i'll be saving up for around 6 months, (and i'lll also have to get awesome grades) So, i cannot ask my dad for an amp as he would think i am insane. Please give me your suggestions, mainly cause i CANNOT try out these. (The only headphones i CAN try out are Beat's Pro's 
angry_face.gif

Seeing as it looks like you'll be using these as portables, I would strongly advise against getting open headphones, and focus more on DJ-style and portable cans, like the M50s/HFI780s, and HD25-1s/M80s.

Quote:
Hello, new to this forum , greeting everyone, anyway looking to purchase a nice good over ear headdy for myself to use.

I'm sort of a Vocal progressive trance guy, i listen to "vocal"alot and therefore i can say i really put High range and bass as what i really is after
i am looking for a nice pair to able to deliver the sensation and the relaxation of what progressive trance can deliver (i know some of you would understand me) bascially chilling on the sofa and close my eyes and enjoy.

So, this site seems to be filled with experienced audiophiles who can help me out. I'm just someone who loves music, but i am not an expert at it. its mainly used with my phone ipod etc. (3.5mm) and would mainly be used at home and used outdoor sometimes.

I prefer comfrontable over ear ones, atleast can wear for 1-2 hours. my budget is 200USD Max out at 250.

i have heard about Audio Technica, and would like some suggestions with respect to AT and also with Beyerdynamc.. however anyothers are welcome. just no Dres..

Also whats Close and Open?

Any help?

thanks.

Closed and open refers to whether the back of the headphone is open to the air, or if it's sealed off. Open cans give better soundstage, but no isolation, closed give more bass and isolation, but don't scale up to top-tiers as much. For your stuff, try the D2000s.

Quote:
Hey guys! I've been on a great search for headphones! Ones that cost less then 300 bucks, don't break easily, and are a tight fit :B. Now I like most music, but I gotta say my favorites are chill out, house, trip hop, electronic rock, and some other genres that I have trouble labeling :x. Please help me [:frowning2:).

Some songs that might help out :frowning2:).

Mat Jarvis - Microscopic
Zion - Fluke
Mike Monday - When the Rain Falls << Oh I love full bassy feeling if you get what I'm saying :frowning2:)
Rob Dougan - Clubbed to Death 2
Jenna G - In Love (VIP Remix)

M50, HFI780, HD25-1, M80, etc.

Quote:
Hey guys, i know this isn't really the right thread to ask this, but I can't seem to find a relevant forum here, and seeing as this is one of the largest, I figured at least one of you would be able to help me. Is there anywhere on this site that discusses recording (like microphones)? There doesn't seem to be a forum dedicated to that, and Gear-Fi is listed as "Non-audio related gear." If not, is there any other site I could look to for help/advice? Thanks

Maybe cables and accessories?

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #12,174 of 29,490

Quote:
The Denons sound like what you want to complement your existing pairs with stronger bass. TBH, you probably have more experience than I do, so I'm not sure I can help too much. The A-Ts are supposed to be mid-centric and good for vocals.

Thanks for the reply. Anybody else with suggestions?

Music: Metal, Heavy Metal, Industrial Metal (Sybreed type stuff), Classic Rock (Pink Floyd Stuff), Dubstep, Trance, Nightcore.

Also considered the Sennheiser HD700's, but it sounds like the bass is no better than the AKG's I have.
Headphones I have now are in my Signature, mostly looking for some more bass for the Dubstep, Trance, and games like BF3. When I say bass I am talking about bass with punch behind it. The reviews I read on the Denon's seemed to fit that description the best.
I use my Grados for the Metal, and the AKG's for the Classic Rock, and the little Rap I listen to.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #12,175 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Anybody else with suggestions?

Maybe check into the Beyer Tesla T1s? They can be had for <$1000 if you ask.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #12,176 of 29,490
I listen to pretty much only rOck and because the music's fast pace I need headphones that are a balance between nasty and clear. I really am willing to send no more than $ 100 on these headphones. Right now I am looking at the CAL!'s and the SRH440. So which is better?

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #12,177 of 29,490
I listen to pretty much only rOck and because the music's fast pace I need headphones that are a balance between nasty and clear. I really am willing to send no more than $ 100 on these headphones. Right now I am looking at the CAL!'s and the SRH440. So which is better?

CAL!s.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #12,178 of 29,490

Quote:
You're not going to get a whole lot of impressions or opinions on the Philips, as they're brand new, and I'm not even sure if they're available yet. From Jude's interview with them, the seem like they might be a good fit, but again, no one has really compared them to other competitors yet. 
Also, this is a question I seem to be asking everyone: Where/when are you going to be using them? That'll determine the degree of openness you'll want in your headphones, and narrow down the range of choices.

Regarding the Philips: I'm going to wait for them to be available so I can compare them to whatever else is recommended to me. I know that Apple sells them right now but I'm not sure if they have them out for people to listen to them at the Apple store. I'll have to stop by soon to see.

Regarding where I wilI be using my headphones: I will be using them at home and whenever I happen to be traveling on the streets, buses, and subways of NYC which is not often since I drive so mostly at home. And just in case this is an important factor to consider, I'm not too too concerned with what others who are next to me hear coming out of my headphones.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #12,179 of 29,490

Quote:

Regarding the Philips: I'm going to wait for them to be available so I can compare them to whatever else is recommended to me. I know that Apple sells them right now but I'm not sure if they have them out for people to listen to them at the Apple store. I'll have to stop by soon to see.

Regarding where I wilI be using my headphones: I will be using them at home and whenever I happen to be traveling on the streets, buses, and subways of NYC which is not often since I drive so mostly at home. And just in case this is an important factor to consider, I'm not too too concerned with what others who are next to me hear coming out of my headphones.

Ok, that's good if you can demo them at an Apple Store. The primary problem with open cans is not that others can hear your music, but that they don't isolate very much, which means you can hear what's going on around you, which can interfere a lot with your listening experience.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #12,180 of 29,490

Hey guys! 

So i'm new to the forums and i heard that this was a good place to get advice on what kind of headphones are great for the price. So ill simply start off with some of the music i like to listen to.

Dubstep
HipHop
Techno
Rock
Some Rap

So pretty much a mix of a whole bunch of things. I like headphones that are nicely balanced between the mids highs and bass. but i would like a little more bass but not fake sounding (like SkullCandy's). Now i was considering buying aerial 7's but then just read that they were complete poop. Style doesn't matter ill be using them for home use. Preferably headphones where people cant hear the music i'm listening to.. if that is possible. I was looking at some sound canceling sony headphones, They were 79.99 which seemed like a good price. I'm looking for some headphones that range from 75-200$.

Thanks in Advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back