++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #12,047 of 29,490

So I posted earlier and after doing even more research, I decided that I really want over-ear headphones that I'll be using both at home and for travel once in a while. I don't mind larger ones as long as they're comfortable. My possibilities now include M50, MS 400, CAL!, HFI-580/780, SRH440, and I'm still open to other suggestions. Again, I mostly listen to hip-hop/techno/dubstep/reggae and will be using it with my iphone4 and macbook pro. My limit is $300 although I'd love if I could spend much less, especially since my ears aren't really trained (yet) for super good headphones (i've only had the bose triport, QC2 and klipsch s4) I also wanna avoid using an amp, though i'd consider it if it'd make a huge difference. I really appreciate the advice

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #12,048 of 29,490

Quote:

B&H was exactly where I was looking at, best price right now and I've ordered from them before. I've looked at the HD25s and the V-Moda M80s as well, but I think I'd be happier with over-ears rather than on-ears...noisy apartment at times.

Good deal, I've heard mostly the same thing. Obviously some people like the extra detail, bassheads find the added bass more fun. I think the 780 would suit my needs as well. I'll give that combo a shot and see what I like better. I think I'd be happy with either.

Thanks to both of you for the responses and the help, appreciate it.

Well if you end up getting the HFI-780's be sure to let me know your thoughts.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #12,049 of 29,490
Hi all! Yeah its me again haha. I am looking for an upgrade to the koss portapro i currently own. My budget is preferably below 300 usd. I am looking for comfortable bassy headphones(more emphasis on mid bass) and does not compromise on clarity. I want to wear it for prolonged usage. Oh I listen more of trance, techno, dance, rock metal and pop.

I have auditioned the ahd 2000 which i found to be lacking in mid bass and sounds hollow. Ath m50 and ath pro700mk2 to be rather uncomfortable and unmatched with the bass of my portapro(clarity wise i cannot really tell the difference too). I have also tried the Xb 500 and 700 series of sony. They are comfortable but sound muddy and muffled..

I am currently thinking of the v-moda crossfades lp2 headphones, but I am unable to try them out in singapore(no stores carry them). Do you all have any suggestions for me?

thank you in advance :D

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #12,051 of 29,490

Quote:
heavily considernig the shure 750s.  I read that comfort is not ok, how about the materials? I will be sweating alot, are these types of headphones good?

The Shure 750s are a VERY good pair of headphones. I have read that they do have a good chance of breaking. They are not too comfortable because of the circular pads. I have the ATH-M50, and I must say, the Shure SRH750s sound a tiny bit better. The M50s are way more durable and way more comfortable. Try out the Audio Technica Pro 700MK2. They are very good too.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #12,054 of 29,490

Quote:
I see. I'm not that picky with bass as long as it's a good quality bass. Strong bass in headphones tends to give me a mild headache. I see. I'm thinking of just getting the headphones and looking into a better headphone amp down the road.

Yeah, then the HD598s or Q701s could work for you.

Quote:
um..i posted about this earlier but i'll try again :p
Jiggawhat recommended the XB500 for my music needs..types of music to be used with: Hip-hop and rap with some dubstep and which ever category Coldplay comes into..
 i was reading up about its gaming capabilities (even though i'm getting the SteelSeries 7H), and some reviews say that the Samson SR850, RH600 and the Panasonic RP-HTF600 are pretty good too..any better than the XB500 in terms of music and FPS gaming?
What about the Sony MDR XD200      
My budget is about $150USD and wouldn't mind enough portability to able to take my headphones for a walk..
Would any of the Shure ones be good?
They dont HAVE TO be good for gaming..just that it would be nice if they are..
Its okay if you tell me something is $200  because I can always spend a bit more for the better..
Thanks lads..

P.S. i checked up the price of the XB500 and its about $80 here in Aus so i dont care if its more than that..

Thanks boys,
hopefully i can be dealt with :p

The XB500s are definitely one-trick ponies, with a ton of bass emphasis. They probably won't sound all that great with Coldplay, or really anything where you don't want overpowering bass. They also might not work too well for gaming. For $150 you can do a lot better. Something like the M50s or HFI780/580s would seem to fit your bill quite well. Shures might be a bit too neutral for your tastes, if you were looking into the XB series. For $200 you could get something more portable like the HD25-1s or M80s.

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to drown in research. Hopefully someone can help me get things straight.

I'm looking for: comfortable, neutral, closed-back, circumaural headphones under $250.

I narrowed the closed-backs down to these contenders:
The ATH-M50s are supposed to be somewhat neutral but uncomfortable. (I have a big head.)
The Beyerdynamic DT770s are supposed to be very comfortable but bassy.
The Denon AH-D2000s are over $300.

So naturally I'm confused. I have a pair of Sennheiser 558s I really enjoy. I listen to mostly instrumental music, including classical, post-rock, soundtrack, etc. 

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for your help!

The M50s aren't particularly neutral, but maybe look into the SRH840s or HM5s for that. Bassy, by definition, makes the headphone less neutral, so maybe the DT770s aren't for you. Are you looking for something to complement your 558s or a similar sound?

Quote:

So I posted earlier and after doing even more research, I decided that I really want over-ear headphones that I'll be using both at home and for travel once in a while. I don't mind larger ones as long as they're comfortable. My possibilities now include M50, MS 400, CAL!, HFI-580/780, SRH440, and I'm still open to other suggestions. Again, I mostly listen to hip-hop/techno/dubstep/reggae and will be using it with my iphone4 and macbook pro. My limit is $300 although I'd love if I could spend much less, especially since my ears aren't really trained (yet) for super good headphones (i've only had the bose triport, QC2 and klipsch s4) I also wanna avoid using an amp, though i'd consider it if it'd make a huge difference. I really appreciate the advice

The M50s and ultrasones are the best contenders out of your choices. However, we could add more based on what kind of music you listen to and/or what sound you like. The above cans are a bit v-shaped, whereas something like the SRH840s would be more neutral.

Quote:
Hi all! Yeah its me again haha. I am looking for an upgrade to the koss portapro i currently own. My budget is preferably below 300 usd. I am looking for comfortable bassy headphones(more emphasis on mid bass) and does not compromise on clarity. I want to wear it for prolonged usage. Oh I listen more of trance, techno, dance, rock metal and pop.

I have auditioned the ahd 2000 which i found to be lacking in mid bass and sounds hollow. Ath m50 and ath pro700mk2 to be rather uncomfortable and unmatched with the bass of my portapro(clarity wise i cannot really tell the difference too). I have also tried the Xb 500 and 700 series of sony. They are comfortable but sound muddy and muffled..

I am currently thinking of the v-moda crossfades lp2 headphones, but I am unable to try them out in singapore(no stores carry them). Do you all have any suggestions for me?

thank you in advance :D

Maybe try the D1100s, which are pretty bassy but still very good. The LP2s could also work, but I haven't heard a lot about it, other than it cleans up the muddiness from the original LPs.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #12,055 of 29,490

Quote:
I had a pair of 555's its definately between the 555 or 440, Are the 440'similiar in terms of sound? I notice you have a pair in youre picture

I don't own the 440s lol. I have tried them, though, and I also tried the 555s. If you mean the SRH440 and the Sennheiser HD555, I think the HD555 sound better in clarity and treble (highs and mids.) The SRH-440s are better in the lows. It's you decision, but I would take the HD555
wink_face.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #12,057 of 29,490
Is there any better of a good quality bass headphone than the Atrio MG7 for $110?

So far my choices are:

Vsonic GR07
MTPC
JVC FXT90
Atrio MG7

Budgets is ~$200 and under.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #12,059 of 29,490

Hi all, I am looking for some new headphones and was wondering if anyone could help.

I currently have Bose AE2, but the wire frayed and it's still under warranty so I now will have roughly $180 store credit at Best Buy. What headphones would you recommend for this price? Should I just get the same Bose headphones?

I mainly listen to electronic music (house, french house, dutch house) and hip hop- so what would you recommend?

I also made a thread without seeing this one :facepalm: sorry all

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #12,060 of 29,490
Guys, I need some guidance in buying a pair of headphones and an amp.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser CX500 in-ear phones and mostly listen to Erudite and Jazz music.

For some time now I've been really focusing on sound and recording quality (along with interpretation preference, of course), and I find that my CX500 connected directly to my laptop aren't enough anymore - especially because the cable broke and I had to hand solder it back together (which is always a source of EM interference).

I've been researching, and the HD650 seem to be really good - I wouldn't know, because I've never tried them and my only experience is with the CX500, which were godly after only knowing the stock Apple headphones.
I think I've pretty much decided to buy these.

Apparently, I also need an amp, and this is where you guys come in. I've been reading about the FiiO E17, how good it is and all that, but I've read many people saying they didn't think the E17 was enough for the whole HD650 experience even when coupled with the E9.
I don't know how critical the DAC is for a good sonic experience either.

I don't want to become insta-broke, so, with the HD650 at around 350€+, I guess I have to limit the amp price to about 150€, 200€ max.

The amp doesn't have to be portable, because it's not like I would use my HD650 on the street or anything. I'll pretty much just use them home while on the computer.

It'd be pretty hard to test anything, because it's finding stuff like this in my country is... well... I think I'll have to order online or something.

So what should I buy, guys? Anything other than Fiio? I really need serious quality (erudite-grade quality, not dubstep-grade quality), but can't spend too much. Is this even possible?

Thank you a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back