++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #12,031 of 29,490
Feb 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #12,033 of 29,490

Quote:
Oh, one more question, how do you think the Sennheiser HD 202 II's would do for isolation and comfort? They weren't on ljokerl's shootout thread.

From the looks of things, the 202 II model looks virtually identical to the original 202 model. I've tried them on briefly, and I have to say they were pretty comfortable, though the earcups might be a tad small, and they isolated decently.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #12,034 of 29,490

Quote:
From the looks of things, the 202 II model looks virtually identical to the original 202 model. I've tried them on briefly, and I have to say they were pretty comfortable, though the earcups might be a tad small, and they isolated decently.

Sounds good, thanks again 50an6xy06r6n.
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #12,035 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking into buying another pair of full-sized headphones sometime within the next few months. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555 which are sound stage modded and are driven off an ASUS Xonar DX sound card. My budget is at max $350 for the new pair. I'm looking for an open pair with really good sound stage, detail, comfort, etc. I want an all around better headphone than a modded HD 555/595 but can also be driven fairly well from my sound card as an headphone amp is currently out of the question for the time being. Headphones I've been currently looking into are the Sennheiser HD 600, Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm, and the AKG Q701.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #12,036 of 29,490

Quote:
I would put a vote in for the HFI-780's but if you have the money to compare a couple pairs and return one or resell one then that's a good idea as I did that recently and bought a pair or Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's and the Ultrasone HFI-780 and I really like the Ultrasones for at home listening they haven't done anything i've thrown at them badly and they have put a smile on my face several times while listening to all types of music from Rap/Hip Hop to Electronic to Rock to Acoustic etc. I paid $151 shipped for them from B and H new. Can't go wrong imo. They have a good amount of quality bass that is there in bass heavy track but doesn't try to over take tracks that don't have a lot of bass. I found myself sensitive to highs on other headphones mainly in ears and was concerned this may be an issue with the HFI-780 but they have tons of detail in the highs but sibilance and harshness hasn't been an issue for me.

B&H was exactly where I was looking at, best price right now and I've ordered from them before. I've looked at the HD25s and the V-Moda M80s as well, but I think I'd be happier with over-ears rather than on-ears...noisy apartment at times.

From what I hear at least, the 780s tend to be a bit less bassy than the 580s, and more detailed. I think the M50/780 combo you suggested would be ideal, so you can see whether or not you like the S-logic soundstaging.

Good deal, I've heard mostly the same thing. Obviously some people like the extra detail, bassheads find the added bass more fun. I think the 780 would suit my needs as well. I'll give that combo a shot and see what I like better. I think I'd be happy with either.

Thanks to both of you for the responses and the help, appreciate it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #12,038 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking into buying another pair of full-sized headphones sometime within the next few months. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555 which are sound stage modded and are driven off an ASUS Xonar DX sound card. My budget is at max $350 for the new pair. I'm looking for an open pair with really good sound stage, detail, comfort, etc. I want an all around better headphone than a modded HD 555/595 but can also be driven fairly well from my sound card as an headphone amp is currently out of the question for the time being. Headphones I've been currently looking into are the Sennheiser HD 600, Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm, and the AKG Q701.

Those are all good, but I think your choice will depend on what kind of music you listen to do. Also, if you get a Q701, you can also get an entry-level desktop amp like the E9 or E10, or save for a better one.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #12,040 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting my friend a pair of hd 380s, and I'm just wondering if they would have a "wow" factor, as he currently only uses ipod earphones. Also, he doesn't amp.

I can't really comment too much  on their "wow" factor, but given the Sennheiser sound, I'd say they're liable to be a bit on the neutral side. Assuming he listens to rock-oriented music, maybe something like the HFI780s, HD25s, or M80s will impress him more. They look nicer too.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #12,041 of 29,490
Well I listen to all sorts of music, but I tend to lean towards electronic. Sound stage is very important to me and from what I gather the Q701 is the best of the three in this aspect. Would the E9 or E10 work fairly well with the Q701s?

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #12,042 of 29,490

Quote:
Well I listen to all sorts of music, but I tend to lean towards electronic. Sound stage is very important to me and from what I gather the Q701 is the best of the three in this aspect. Would the E9 or E10 work fairly well with the Q701s?

The Q701 will do it for soundstage, certainly, but maybe not for bass? Anyway, I've heard that the E10 can pair decently with the Q701s.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #12,043 of 29,490
I see. I'm not that picky with bass as long as it's a good quality bass. Strong bass in headphones tends to give me a mild headache. I see. I'm thinking of just getting the headphones and looking into a better headphone amp down the road.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #12,044 of 29,490

um..i posted about this earlier but i'll try again :p
Jiggawhat recommended the XB500 for my music needs..types of music to be used with: Hip-hop and rap with some dubstep and which ever category Coldplay comes into..
 i was reading up about its gaming capabilities (even though i'm getting the SteelSeries 7H), and some reviews say that the Samson SR850, RH600 and the Panasonic RP-HTF600 are pretty good too..any better than the XB500 in terms of music and FPS gaming?
What about the Sony MDR XD200      
My budget is about $150USD and wouldn't mind enough portability to able to take my headphones for a walk..
Would any of the Shure ones be good?
They dont HAVE TO be good for gaming..just that it would be nice if they are..
Its okay if you tell me something is $200  because I can always spend a bit more for the better..
Thanks lads..

P.S. i checked up the price of the XB500 and its about $80 here in Aus so i dont care if its more than that..

Thanks boys,
hopefully i can be dealt with :p

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #12,045 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to drown in research. Hopefully someone can help me get things straight.

I'm looking for: comfortable, neutral, closed-back, circumaural headphones under $250.

I narrowed the closed-backs down to these contenders:
The ATH-M50s are supposed to be somewhat neutral but uncomfortable. (I have a big head.)
The Beyerdynamic DT770s are supposed to be very comfortable but bassy.
The Denon AH-D2000s are over $300.

So naturally I'm confused. I have a pair of Sennheiser 558s I really enjoy. I listen to mostly instrumental music, including classical, post-rock, soundtrack, etc. 

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back