++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #11,987 of 29,490

Music Genres: 95% Hip Hop, 5% any other kind of music. I like the old school sounding hip hop and hip hop that incorporates jazz into the beats. Also, I listen to a lot of jazzy/hip hop instrumentals (e.g. J Dilla, Nujabes).
Portable: These will primarily used for computer use, but I wouldn't mind being able to go out and about with them.
Price range: Up to $150 (Amp/DAC outside of this budget).
Amped: I am very new to this kind of stuff and would like to get some recommendations on what amp/dac setup to use with the recommended headphones. At first it will mostly be run through my on-board desktop audio and maybe an iPod, but later on I plan on purchasing something to get the best out of these headphones.

I've looked around and it seems like the ATH-M50s (perhaps the A700s?) would be the best for the type of music I listen to that is in my budget. I would just like some more opinions to solidify my choice. Thanks!

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #11,988 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there something peculiar about your effects processor that doesn't let you plug in headphone inputs? 
Otherwise, this sounds like a job for the usual suspects, which include the M50s, HFI780s, HD25-1s, and M80s. 

Nothing in particular, I'm just looking for the absolute best sound quality I can get for ~$200-300. I wouldn't mind shelling out extra for an amp, so the only real restriction is that I have a fairly wide range of music I listen to.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #11,990 of 29,490
Okay I'm looking for two headphones/headsets..
One for FPS gaming and the other for music (Hip-hop and rap).
For gaming I'm considering the SteelSeries 7H.
No idea what to get for the music though..
My budget is about $150USD and wouldn't mind being able to take my headphones for a walk..
Would any of the Shure ones be good?
Its okay if you tell me something is $200 because I can always spend a bit more for the better..
Thanks lads, Abz :D

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #11,991 of 29,490
Hey guys, so I wanted some advice on buying two things: a second pair of headphones and an amp. 

I currently have the M50's and I thought it was about time to get a different pair. I'm not that experienced in headphones, so bear with me here; I'm looking for something to compliment the M50 by giving me a wider range of listening. Since the M50's are closed, should I be looking for an open set of cans? I really enjoy sound stage, which I find the M50's to be lacking in quite a bit and I know open ones generally offer good sound stage. My budget for the headphones is 100-200$ USD. Main purpose would still be mostly music listening and the occasional computer/gaming use.

As for the amp, does a desktop amp offer a significant difference over a good portable one? I currently just have a E6, and I like it a lot for the most part, but I'm wondering if I want to buy something that will leave me tied to my computer chair. As for an amp, I'm looking for something in the range of 50-100$ USD.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #11,993 of 29,490
Go with the XB500 for music (It's 50 bucks) @abztract

thanks for the reply jigga :)
you mean the Sony MDR ones? Because they're on-ears, wouldn't they get uncomfortable during long sessions ?? And apparently the cable can be a nuisance..
Also, how's the portability because I might be using them on trains, planes and in the streets.. Just wondering...
And any over-ears you could recommend??
Cheers dude, Abz :D

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #11,995 of 29,490
V Moda M80 Vs Arc Technica M50 Vs Senn HD 25-1 II

Which one is the best value? All of them are sub $200.
I mainly listen to artists such as eminem, rhianna, muse, cold play, adele, etc.
I will probably only the headphones for my iphone, computer, and sometimes gaming devices.
I'd like to take them out once in a while while I jog or lift. I would also like to use them on the bus.
Which one do you guys think is the best for my needs?

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #11,996 of 29,490

Quote:
V Moda M80 Vs Arc Technica M50 Vs Senn HD 25-1 II

Which one is the best value? All of them are sub $200.
I mainly listen to artists such as eminem, rhianna, muse, cold play, adele, etc.
I will probably only the headphones for my iphone, computer, and sometimes gaming devices.
I'd like to take them out once in a while while I jog or lift. I would also like to use them on the bus.
Which one do you guys think is the best for my needs?

HD25-1 II for sure but i don't recommend jogging with them.

Have you considered getting IEMs?

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #11,998 of 29,490

Quote:
I currently have the UE Triple.fi 10 and the Shure e2c. I much prefer the e2c's "I am sitting four rows up-signature" to the "I am standing in the middle of the band-signature" of the Triple.fi10's. And of course the fit of the Triple.fi 10's is a problem. So in conclusion I am looking for an IEM with similar signature to the e2c but with clearer sound. I have been trying out the other models in the Shure line but I would like some other alternatives as well... so i guess I am looking for for the best dynamic IEM under $200 with strong sub bass and that puts a little bit of distance from the listener and the music. 

So nobody have any tips? :frowning2:

VSonic GR07 maybe?

Changed my mind for the 821372018 time :p... I'm just going to keep my e2c's and then get a M50 for home use. I think that the e2c (215 when the e2c dies :p.) is perfect for using when I am traveling, jogging or lifting some weights in the gym. And I need that bass and comfort I get from the Shure's. I will probably not use an IEM that costs me more than $100 dollars for that purpose. So I am all good :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #12,000 of 29,490

Quote:
What do you think?:

Should I sell DT880 (2003), DT880/600, D2000, HD650, T50p, HFI-580, HD600, K701 and others to get the LCD-2 Rev.2?

I mostly listen classical music and jazz with my modded HD800. I like it very much!

What I want is another headphone to listen to pop/rock.

Would LCD-2 be the right choice?... and -as I've said- what about selling the above mentioned cans?!

I think this is something you're gonna have to decide for you're self if its worth it, taka a listen to the lcd 2 first then decide. selling all the cans you mentioned without listening to the lc2 first is probably a bad idea. my suggestion is take a listen to it first then you're the one will know the answer better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back