++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #11,971 of 29,490

Quote:

My price range is 170-200$...

Anything from the HD25-1s to the M80s will work well for you.

Quote:

Yeah, I dunno if I'd call my superluxes too piercing, but then again it does depend on the songs, I have messed with the equalizer which helped them quite a bit.

So far I'm gonna go for the 780s..I think maybe even the SR80i again, I wish I could test all these headphones out! haha.
Is there a huge difference between the 780s and SR80i?
and the 580s are just bassier than the 780s, right?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions, I'm just trying to find the best possible headphones and I'm real bad at making decisions.

oh yeah, I'm canadian so on Amazon.ca it says that the 780s are more expensive than the 580s.

Again, the decision on the grados will probably come down to whether you're going to be using them in public or not. However, given your issues with treble, I think you might be safer going with the Ultrasones, which might also complement your existing cans better.

Quote:
I looking for headphones that fit my music well. I lisents most to Muse,Radiohead,Placebo,Tori Amos,Norah Jones,Pixies,The Doors
I have now denon-ahd1100 and I dont want bass like the denon-d1100 i have now, but lesser than the denons and more clear natural sound I think maybe an open can HD 598? or something else come with advice :)

If you're using them exclusively at home or in private places, the HD598s will work very nicely. However, if you'll be going out in public, maybe look into the HM5s or SRH840s.

Quote:
I'm posting this again.  Sorry if you've seen it.  I'm seeing some new faces that could help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

Its official I've been bitten by the audio bug. It started when I wanted a decent IEM. Did some research here and found the re0. Then I ran into the hf3 at Best Buy and could not resist the price. Yeah I know the two are pretty similar, but could not resist the value. So I experienced my audio epiphany and now have decided that I need a pair of full-headphones, and thus, have been scouring these forums. I have some ideas about what I might like, but I want to start open ended and not lead recommendations in any direction.

Firstly, please excuse my lack of audio verbage, as I am still learning. I love the sound of both my re0s and particularly my hf3s. The clarity and mids mmm mmm. However, there are sometimes when I think to myself man this sounds spectacular, but I'm not having fun listening to this. Also, I don't consider myself a bass head by any means, but there are times when I wish the bass on these had a little more impact. The other compliant I could have is that both have a similar stage and sometimes I think I want something that could immmerse me more in the music. So I want to find a headphone that will compliment these IEMs.

What I like
(excuse my ignorance if I classify something as the wrong genre):

I listen to alot of alternative, rock, indie, & piano rock. But I feel alot of the alternative I listen to has become more electronic. I do listen to techno, as well. I wouldn't mind gaming with these cans on my ps3 either.

Alternative/Rock:
Incubus, Modest Mouse, Killers, Phoenix, Audioslave, Angels and Airwaves, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Police, MUSE, Oasis, Queens of the Stoneage, Radiohead, RHCP, Breaking Benjamin...I go as hard as Metallica

Electronic Pop/Rock
Foster the People, Two Door Cinema Club, Naked and Famous, Passion Pitt, M85. I also like techno

Piano Rock
Coldplay, Jack's Mannequin, Something Coporate, Billy Joel, Elton John, The Fray, Keane

Indie
Muford and Sons (obsessed), Vampire Weekend, Forence and the Machine, Bon Iver, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, Civil War Kids

What I want in a headphone
Considering the above, I want something that has the clarity and mids I love with the hf3s, but can be a little more engaging and provide that extra bass I'm looking for when I'm feeling more electronic. However, this bass cannot come at the expense of my mids especially not vocals. Like I said, my priority is not bass, but there are some instances I have wished the hf3s had more impact even in some of my rock tracks. Furthermore, I want something with a big sound stage, but still won't make me feel detached from the vocals. Since I am just diping my toe in and know how infectious this hobby is already becoming, I may need to think about room for scalling upward.

All of this for the measily grand total of $300. I could possibly be talked into a bit more, but the increase would need to come with major benefits. I am open to any suggestions be it modding be it buying used, or waiting for a sale. I am a patient man if the juice is worth the squeeze.

My setup
Well I don't really have one. I plan to use my onboard motherboard soundcard and my android galaxy nexus for now. I'm not opposed to an amp; however, I might prefer something that will sound good unamped that I can later supplement with an amp. As far as my tracks go they are mixed many of them unfortunately as low as 128 kbps. I plan on working to rectifying this.

Sorry for the long read. I just wanted to provide as much detail as possible. Thanks for your help in advance. I love this place!

The HD598s will certainly work, but perhaps something like the Denon D2000s will contrast more with your existing IEMs.

Quote:
My god, i didnt saw it. So sory :frowning2:  Iike i was in hurry. Arhg
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595241/new-user-some-general-questions#post_8134956

The XB700 sounds like it fits.

Quote:
New and after doing some research am looking for some help.

What I am looking for
*Closed back over ear
*Good for a wide range from rock to techno to acoustic
*Price Range of up to 120 with shipping preferred.
*Comfortable for extended periods of time
*Portable (If possible)

So far I have seen the 
*CAL's (Leaning towards these unless something better out there)
*M-50s (like them but alittle out of my range)
*All different models of seinheisers
*Ultrasone Hifi-580 (might stretch budget for these)

Where are you buying from? If you're in the US, the HFI780s are the same price as the 580s, so I would go with that over the 580s. I don't think there's really any Sennheisers that fit your requirements too well besides maybe the HD449s. If you're considering the Ultrasones, consider whether you'll like their S-logic soundstaging technology.

Quote:

So I've been browsing the forum and looking at reviews all day and it has come to the point that getting feedback specific to me is probably the best idea.

So I have around $200 to spend (give or take about 100) and I am really looking for the best setup I can get. Now ideally some well rounded headphones would be nice since I would like to watch movies, play games and listen to music of all types. Now the hard part is that I also would like to use them with my guitar setup. I run my guitar through an effects processor and would like to be able to use the headphones with the processor so I can play my guitar more often during the night time (in an effort to only slightly bother the neighbors less).

I understand that this is a fairly tuff request, but if I had to choose one over the other than I would like to just find the best well rounded setup I possibly can with my budget.

Is there something peculiar about your effects processor that doesn't let you plug in headphone inputs? 
Otherwise, this sounds like a job for the usual suspects, which include the M50s, HFI780s, HD25-1s, and M80s. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #11,972 of 29,490
Hey lads, how's things?
Thought I'd get some help :p
Wanting a set of headphones (or headset) for FPS gaming on PC as well as a bit of hip hop and rap music..
Right now I'm about to grab the SteelSeries 7H USB unless someone can point me to something better :)
FPS games to be played: CoD MW3..
Also, could you please recommend 'phones that are compatible with phones i.e. 3.5mm connection..

Pardon me if this is not the place to post this..first post here so i have yet to figure out the "map" of the forums :p
Cheers, Abz :D

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #11,973 of 29,490

After a relative amount of research I have narrowed down my search to these cans.

*HD25-1-II, Denon D1100, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone HFI-580*

What I'm looking for
- Over ear
- Portability
- Durability
- Isolation
- Powerful driver
- No supplemental amplifiers

I primarily listen to hip hop, although I listen to all genres including jazz and classical. I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $200 that can be brought on a bus, plane, or sidewalk and be enjoyed thoroughly. I want something that can handle being put in a backpack and lugged around, while also providing quality sound that overpowers outside sound. I will be solely using an iPhone/iPod and computer jack to power whatever headphones I end up getting. Other suggestions are more than welcome as this initial finding is somewhat preliminary.

I use Grado SR 80's for home use or should I say I will be. Just had to send those bad boys into Grado as the rod got disconnected from the can. Couldn't handle the harsh realities of the streets.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #11,974 of 29,490
Headphones (In order of preference):
Modded T50RP
D2000
FA-011
HD600 (or HD650)
Anything you suggest
I'm also open to any suggestions of earphones if anything that meets my needs come to mind
Uses:
Mainly inside, so open/closed or isolation/leakage isn't an issue.
Music. I want something to bring my music to life, with a bit of weight/oomph. I like black/dark space between notes and separation. I like a nice soundstage, but I also like engaging, (relatively) intimate sound. I mainly want something to bring my metal to life, although I'll probably play some math/post-rock/instrumental on it if it sounds better than the HD448's I've already got (which have great mids and recreate voice beautifully). I want good bass, but I don't want it bleeding into other sounds, I also want realistic cymbals/highs, but I also want to feel the thud of the drums and, less so, the bass. I want more of the sub rumble than the mid kick with bass, although both are important to me.
I'm thinking I could buy the T50RP's/D2000's and the FA-011's or I can just get the T50RP's and an amp and then get the FA-011 when I've got the money, if I still feel the need for another pair.
Sorry for rambling, really I just want something to bring my music to life with a bit of weight behind it. I want something to colour my music in a psychedelically vibrant colour.
Amp:
I could get an E7/E9 combo if I only get 1 pair of cans.
I appreciate any comments.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #11,975 of 29,490

Quote:
1.  You mentioned the Beats Studios, which are $300, and the DT880s are definitely better than those.
2.  I was talking about the DT880 Pro (not the Premium) which Amazon apparently doesn't carry anymore.  Those retail for $200-$220.

The DT990 Pro (250 ohm, should be used with an amp) is $185 on Amazon, and the 32 ohm Premium (doesn't necessarily need an amp) is $250.

Shure SRH-840, Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5, Denon D2000.

It would be helpful to know your music preferences though - all three are good all-around performers, but the Shures are especially good with rock, the Fischers/Brainwavz are good for classical and vocals(?), and the D2000s excel with electronic.

I am pretty versatile in my preferences of music. I pretty much listen to everything: dance, hip hop, rap, rock, some alternative. I am leaning towards the d2000s, but before i make a decision, do these do well with the other types of music as well as electronic? I am not a bass head, but I like bass when I'm listening to dance and hip hop and even when rock is playing I like to feel the music. I just want to make sure these headphones are not just for bassheads as I am not one. If they are not, which other ones encompass all genres the best?

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #11,976 of 29,490

Quote:
1.  You mentioned the Beats Studios, which are $300, and the DT880s are definitely better than those.
2.  I was talking about the DT880 Pro (not the Premium) which Amazon apparently doesn't carry anymore.  Those retail for $200-$220.

The DT990 Pro (250 ohm, should be used with an amp) is $185 on Amazon, and the 32 ohm Premium (doesn't necessarily need an amp) is $250.

Ok thank you i think i gonne take the DT990 250ohm
One more thing...i use laptop Asus G53SW and the sound card pretty sucks, you can  recommend a good sound card?

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #11,977 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok thank you i think i gonne take the DT990 250ohm

These are recommended if you prefer emphasized bass and treble (U shaped frequency response). The 880 Pro is more neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One more thing...i use laptop Asus G53SW and the sound card pretty sucks, you can  recommend a good sound card?

If you only need a simple DAC+amplifier for the laptop, and not for portable players, then a FiiO E10 should be suitable for your needs, and is not expensive.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #11,978 of 29,490
Hi,

I am wondering if any kind of custom molded IEM (JH1x, UE, etc) could be irritating as Etymotic earplugs ? Maybe it's my tiny ear canals but I can't stand wearing earplugs for more than one hour. I have to take them out, scratch inner ear and then I'm good. I suppose IEM will be no-no for me...

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #11,979 of 29,490

looking for a portable head setup been researching for a while now

the more reviews i read the more confuse i get
hoping someone here can give me some advice & direction
and ill have find a closest retail store and demo them out (if i can find them)
here are some sets that bought to my attention
*HD25-1-II, Denon D1100, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone HFI-580, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Marshall Major, V-MODA Crossfade, B&W P5"

What I'm looking for
- Over ear
- Portability
- Durability
- Isolation
- No supplemental amplifiers
Music, Rock, Vocal Jazz/Blue sometimes trance (35,45,20) %
budget of $250

thanks alot

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #11,981 of 29,490
I currently have the UE Triple.fi 10 and the Shure e2c. I much prefer the e2c's "I am sitting four rows up-signature" to the "I am standing in the middle of the band-signature" of the Triple.fi10's. And of course the fit of the Triple.fi 10's is a problem. So in conclusion I am looking for an IEM with similar signature to the e2c but with clearer sound. I have been trying out the other models in the Shure line but I would like some other alternatives as well... so i guess I am looking for for the best dynamic IEM under $200 with strong sub bass and that puts a little bit of distance from the listener and the music. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #11,982 of 29,490

Quote:
Headphones (In order of preference):
Modded T50RP
D2000
FA-011
HD600 (or HD650)
Anything you suggest
I'm also open to any suggestions of earphones if anything that meets my needs come to mind
Uses:
Mainly inside, so open/closed or isolation/leakage isn't an issue.
Music. I want something to bring my music to life, with a bit of weight/oomph. I like black/dark space between notes and separation. I like a nice soundstage, but I also like engaging, (relatively) intimate sound. I mainly want something to bring my metal to life, although I'll probably play some math/post-rock/instrumental on it if it sounds better than the HD448's I've already got (which have great mids and recreate voice beautifully). I want good bass, but I don't want it bleeding into other sounds, I also want realistic cymbals/highs, but I also want to feel the thud of the drums and, less so, the bass. I want more of the sub rumble than the mid kick with bass, although both are important to me.
I'm thinking I could buy the T50RP's/D2000's and the FA-011's or I can just get the T50RP's and an amp and then get the FA-011 when I've got the money, if I still feel the need for another pair.
Sorry for rambling, really I just want something to bring my music to life with a bit of weight behind it. I want something to colour my music in a psychedelically vibrant colour.
Amp:
I could get an E7/E9 combo if I only get 1 pair of cans.
I appreciate any comments.

Uses:
Music - Bring sound to life with some meat oomph, particularly for Metal, Drum (and bass) heavy music. Black/Dark space between the notes is good (which I heard about the T50RP's). PRaT is also good for faster drumming, but I want something to really bring Doom/Stoner/Post-Metal/ /Post-Rock/Math /Drone/ /Tribal drumming/Fast drumming/Weight/Oomph

Any informed reply is greaty appreciated

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #11,983 of 29,490
I'm looking for either a new set of cans or new IEM's. My price range for these will be about $75ish. Right now I have the Grado sr80i's and I love them, however, I would like the IEM's to be noise isolating and the cans to be closed back. Other than those, I don't really have any requirements, just that they sound somewhat decent for their price points. 
Thanks in advance!

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #11,984 of 29,490
What do you think?:

Should I sell DT880 (2003), DT880/600, D2000, HD650, T50p, HFI-580, HD600, K701 and others to get the LCD-2 Rev.2?

I mostly listen classical music and jazz with my modded HD800. I like it very much!

What I want is another headphone to listen to pop/rock.

Would LCD-2 be the right choice?... and -as I've said- what about selling the above mentioned cans?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back