++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #11,941 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys. Looking for headphones, nothing revolutionary. I've been using iTunes earbuds for most of games/music and they're really not cutting it for me anymore. They're not very comfortable, easily fall out, and no sense of immersion for games at all. I asked on another form and people directed me to the ATH-M30( while I also saw the M40s at the same price) but I'm still not sure. So I'll just put some guidelines to what type of headphones I want. 

>Good soundstage? I think that's the word for it. I want to be able to pin point sound directions from the environment in my games. There was a thread for competitive gaming but that just encompased mainly footsteps in FPS while I'm looking for a sense of atmosphere.

>I have a budget of $60(while I don't mind going a bit higher if it's worth it) and I'd prefer that it'd be available on Amazon if from an online retailer.

>I'm going to be purchasing the ASUS Xonar DG soundcard later so no worries about that. If there's any reccomendations for soundcards I'll welcome those too.

>Looking for good quality in general(both games and music), I'd prefer it to be closed but if it isn't, no worries.

>Something relatively comfortable.

If there's anything else that needs to be known please just reply. Looking forward to answers from people who seem to know what they're doing :p.

For your budget, I think the Panasonic RP-HTF600 with some Beyerdynamic velour pads or the Superlux 668b/Samson SR-850 (basically the same headphones, but the Superlux has a removable cable) would be ideal.

None of them is closed - soundstage and closed headphones generally don't go together.  However, they're classified as semi-open rather than fully open, so they do block some noise in and out while still keeping a fairly large soundstage.

Quote:
Hey guys, could you please help me choosing in-ear earphones.
Purpose: Uncompressed and CD music. Rock, alternative rock, pop, R n B and sometime hip hop.
Budget: up to $400.

With the budget I am torn between: 
- Shure SE535
- Westone 4
- Etymotic Research ER-4PT

Could you please provide opinions? I am now leaning towards Etymotic Research ER-4PT, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

P.S. I am also getting a portable amp.

Don't know much about IEMs, but the Etys have a reputation of being pretty sterile.  They lack bass and are in general not very "fun" to listen to.  If that's your preferred sound signature, then fine, but given your genres, it's not what I would expect.

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, but looking to invest in some headphones. 

My current lineup:
Thermaltake Isurus - I love these a lot, to me they have the perfect blend of treble and bass.
Beats Solo HD - only bought these cause I got a deal at 70% off - I dont really like them, they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones ever. the bass is there but the mid and highs sound like crap. pretty disappointed in them.
PortaPros - They sound good, but are pretty cheap and have just about zero bass. 

Just ordered a HT omega striker 7.1 sound card for my desktop

What I want: I listen to a wide variety of music. but the top things are hip hop, r&b, trance, dubstep.    but i do still listen to just about all the other genres including rock, classical, and whatever else is out there.
I'm looking for preferably Over Ear as the on ear usually end up putting pressure on my ear and making them hurt after 45+ minutes. 
So I am looking for something with a good amount of bass. I am kind of using my isurus as a benchmark since, as i've said gives me a great blend of sound and what I am looking for but in headphones. 
Budget is 50-150.

I have looked at M50 but it seems the price has been jacked up and people have not been praising it as highly lately.
the other ones i have heard of are the HD280, AD700, A700, and of course the grado SR60 but i think i read that they dont have much bass and are on ear?

Thanks in advanced guys!

I hadn't heard of the Isurus, but apparently it's a pretty good sounding IEM, possibly OEM'd by Audio-Technica (shares similarities in shape and sound with the CKM99 according to at least one head-fi member).  With that in mind, I'd recommend the A700.  The AD700 (open version) is notoriously bass-light, but the closed A700 doesn't have this problem.  The HD280s are decent, but would probably get uncomfortable after a while due to their huge clamping force.  The SR-60s are indeed on-ear, and while not exactly bass-light, they don't extend very deep, so you won't get as much of that visceral thump from your electronic stuff.

I'm sure you'd be satisfied with the M50s as well though.  The reduced praise has mostly been backlash against raising the price - they used to be under $100 and now retail for ~$150.  They're still not a bad choice for the price - there are just other options available.

You could also consider the Ultrasone HFI-580 or 780.  They're around the same price atm - the 580 is the bassier of the two, but the 780 isn't bass-light, just a little more balanced, so it might be more ideal for someone who listens to a wide variety.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #11,942 of 29,490
Any opinions on the Burson HA-160D for the AT W1000x? It seems fairly good for my price range. Also, noob question, but can I use the pre-out out for my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers if I use a 3.5mm -> RCA adapter? I've never used pre-outs, so I don't really know how they work. If that didn't work I guess I'd have to go to the DA-160+HA-160 for the 2 dedicated RCA outs.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #11,943 of 29,490
@LimeaNite

Well, thanks for being so helpful. the M50s are currently going for $160-30 instant discount on the soundprofessionals website. so $130
Is there any other website with good sales or anything or should I just get it from here if i were to go through with the M50s. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #11,944 of 29,490
Anyone tried the Skullcandy Mix Masters?  I know there's a lot of Skullcandy hate here, but Tyll seems to like them a lot.  If not, anyone know a good review of them?  I can't seem to find any on Google for some reason.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #11,945 of 29,490

Quote:

The ES7 will be an improvement, but for $200 you could also get the HD25s or M80s, which are significantly better. What other portables can you get where you live?

Thanks for the quick response and help. I'm also able to get AKG k450 , AKG Q460 , SRH 440 , HFI 580 or DJ 1 from ultrasone. All these are my preferred choice due to the price range for my region. :)

Oh, good isolation isnt necessary a must for me. Can do just fine without it, although no preference.  Thanks.
Addicted to head-fi.. haha

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #11,946 of 29,490

Quote:
Looks aren't too much to me, for me it's more about the sound and if it'll be good enough for the music I listen to. Are the AKG K181's good for hip hop, metal / hardcore, pop punk, or softer music?

The K181s are pretty bass-oriented, so would be good for hip hop and such, but maybe not so much for the softer stuff. Again, I don't Know a ton about the Shures, but my guess is that they'll have less bass.

Quote:
Hi I got some Klipsch S4 and I really like them, but now I would like to buy some cans I can use daily with my iPhone, I listen to rock some electronic, alternative. I also dont want them to be too expensive if it could be less than $150 it would be great, I was looking into the M50 but I 'm not sure. The thing is a lot of my friends and my classmates have beats, and I want to show them that they're headphones a lot less expensive and 100x times better in SQ. I would lend them my klipsch s4 but since its in ear, its disgusting for me.
Btw they do think beats have great sound.

I would recommend something mildly stylish if you're going to try showing off, which would suggest the Ultrasone HFI 580/780s, which also have a nice bass emphasis that would impress Beats fans, as well as be compatible with your musical tastes. The M50s are still very good, around the same level as the Ultrasones, but they're slightly more awkward.

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, but looking to invest in some headphones. 

My current lineup:
Thermaltake Isurus - I love these a lot, to me they have the perfect blend of treble and bass.
Beats Solo HD - only bought these cause I got a deal at 70% off - I dont really like them, they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones ever. the bass is there but the mid and highs sound like crap. pretty disappointed in them.
PortaPros - They sound good, but are pretty cheap and have just about zero bass. 

Just ordered a HT omega striker 7.1 sound card for my desktop

What I want: I listen to a wide variety of music. but the top things are hip hop, r&b, trance, dubstep.    but i do still listen to just about all the other genres including rock, classical, and whatever else is out there.
I'm looking for preferably Over Ear as the on ear usually end up putting pressure on my ear and making them hurt after 45+ minutes. 
So I am looking for something with a good amount of bass. I am kind of using my isurus as a benchmark since, as i've said gives me a great blend of sound and what I am looking for but in headphones. 
Budget is 50-150.

I have looked at M50 but it seems the price has been jacked up and people have not been praising it as highly lately.
the other ones i have heard of are the HD280, AD700, A700, and of course the grado SR60 but i think i read that they dont have much bass and are on ear?

Thanks in advanced guys!

I second the recommendation of the Ultrasones, while the other 4 may not have enough bass for your bass-heavy genres. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #11,947 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response and help. I'm also able to get AKG k450 , AKG Q460 , SRH 440 , HFI 580 or DJ 1 from ultrasone. All these are my preferred choice due to the price range for my region. :)

Oh, good isolation isnt necessary a must for me. Can do just fine without it, although no preference.  Thanks.
Addicted to head-fi.. haha

So can you get the HD25s or the m80s? Those are both better than the ones you listed. Out of those, though, maybe the Ultrasones are best suited for you, as the AKGs have a questionable reputation.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #11,949 of 29,490

Quote:
So can you get the HD25s or the m80s? Those are both better than the ones you listed. Out of those, though, maybe the Ultrasones are best suited for you, as the AKGs have a questionable reputation.

nope.. i cant get the m80s. And the only HD25 i can find is the HD25 SP II. But the hd25 II cant be folded. Also personally , i got a bad experience with Sennheiser. so i think i will pass on that. I will try looking at ultrasones then.. thanks :)

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #11,950 of 29,490

Quote:
@LimeaNite

Well, thanks for being so helpful. the M50s are currently going for $160-30 instant discount on the soundprofessionals website. so $130
Is there any other website with good sales or anything or should I just get it from here if i were to go through with the M50s. 

$130 is about the best you can hope for on the M50s these days.  They pop up on Amazon for about $120-$125 a couple times per year, but you have to be lucky to catch them at the right time.  If you're okay with used, you might be able to find one in the For Sale forum on here for cheap.

Quote:
Anyone tried the Skullcandy Mix Masters?  I know there's a lot of Skullcandy hate here, but Tyll seems to like them a lot.  If not, anyone know a good review of them?  I can't seem to find any on Google for some reason.

Skullcandy is apparently trying to head in a new, better, direction with their headphones lately.  I haven't heard the MixMasters, but as you said, Tyll speaks highly of them despite going into the review expecting to hate them.  His review is pretty thorough.

Quote:

My price range is 170-200$...

V-Moda M-80, Ultrasone HFI-580/780 (580 has more bass), ATH M50, V-Moda LP2, AiAiAi TMA-1, maybe Sennheiser HD25-1 II

The LP2, M50 and Ultrasones are over-ear, the others are on-ear.  I can't remember if you mentioned a preference in your previous post.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #11,951 of 29,490
I need some recommendations for new headphones. My previous set of headphones was Audio Technica M50. I loved everything about those headphones except the comfort. The fit was good but my ears start getting warm after around 20 minutes of listening.

I am going to use the headphones mostly for listening to music out a Fiio E7 from my desktop with some gaming here and there. I listen to rap, rock, pop, reggae, instrumentals, and everything in between except country and classical. My top priorities are:

- comfort (no pleather or leather and must over ear)
- sound (balanced, no bass light headphones please)
- price (~$130 budget)

I would love something with the same sound signature as the M50 but more comfortable. I do not have a preference between open or closed back headphones. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #11,952 of 29,490

Quote:

Well, the Grado sound signature is pretty polarizing, most people either love it or hate it, and a lot of that is its treble presentation. It's not terrible, but if you found your superluxes piercing, chances are you'll have issue with the Grados as well. The M50s and 780s will probably have a more "fun" sound signature than the Shures. AFAIK, the 780s run for about the same price as the 580s on Amazon ($150), so there's no reason to get the 580s, unless you like bass, as they're bassier.

Yeah, I dunno if I'd call my superluxes too piercing, but then again it does depend on the songs, I have messed with the equalizer which helped them quite a bit.

So far I'm gonna go for the 780s..I think maybe even the SR80i again, I wish I could test all these headphones out! haha.
Is there a huge difference between the 780s and SR80i?
and the 580s are just bassier than the 780s, right?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions, I'm just trying to find the best possible headphones and I'm real bad at making decisions.

oh yeah, I'm canadian so on Amazon.ca it says that the 780s are more expensive than the 580s.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #11,955 of 29,490

Quote:
What about Open headphones for this budget? i saw the HD598 that look preety good...can you give some Open models for 200-250$?

I'm not sure how well open headphones will work with your music.  You said you listen to a bit of everything, but a heavy emphasis on trance and dubstep, right?  In general, open headphones aren't going to have the powerful bass extension that dubstep requires.  There are some exceptions, but they're out of your price range.

That's not to say that you wouldn't like open headphones - the HD598s are excellent, and the HiFiMan HE-300 has gotten good reviews as well (as well as favorable comparisons to the HD650, which has pretty good bass for an open headphone) - but I think that you'd be happier with something closed.  

If you've upped your budget to $200-$250, I have to throw in the Denon D2000.  You can get them for around that  price by calling J&R and asking for their best price or calling Electronics Expo and asking about their open box deal on the D2000 (if they're out of stock on open box ones, they'll give you a new one at the same price).  Phenomenal with electronic, and an all-around great performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back