++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #11,911 of 29,490

Quote:
I will make this short and sweet for you guys.

Ultrasone hfi-780 or Audio Technica ath-m50

Listen to:
75% trance (AvB, A&B, Cosmic Gate, etc.)
15% Rock (B4MV, Killswitch, Avenged Sevenfold, etc
10% Rap (Eminem, Young Jeezy, Kanye, Jay-Z

I know there is little difference between the two, but if possible what would these differences be?

Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I've heard, at least, the 780s are pretty similar to my M50s, but with the notable difference being the Ultrasone's S-logic soundstage technology. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #11,912 of 29,490
Thanks for the quick response.

I wouldn't solely be buying the headphones for the S-logic. I've heard mixed reviews of the technology. Would be cool if it works as advertised, however I'm more interested in finding some great cans for trance. My sony mdr-xb500's are lacking.

I've also heard that the hfi780's have a bit better mids and highs than the m50's?

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #11,913 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response.

I wouldn't solely be buying the headphones for the S-logic. I've heard mixed reviews of the technology. Would be cool if it works as advertised, however I'm more interested in finding some great cans for trance. My sony mdr-xb500's are lacking.

I've also heard that the hfi780's have a bit better mids and highs than the m50's?

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much more, since I haven't heard them, though i do agree with those who say the M50 mids are a little metallic.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #11,914 of 29,490
I am looking to buy a portable headphone to use (train/bus). I want to buy one because I want to see how much of a different sound I can get from a headphone instead of IEM. I use a UE TF10 everyday for commute. I mostly listen to Chinese music. For English, I listen to pretty much everything(rap, rock,pop, classical and some country) except metal. I am not sure if any experts here know anything specific about the Voodoo sound on Android phone, but my main source is a LG G2x with Voodoo Sound+PowerAMP. I use andless as well. It's probably not experts would prefer, so I don't even mind to buy a new mp3 player. I do want to become an audiophile and I want to learn everything about it. I am looking for ideas of what to buy and how to identify/ describe music.

So far...
ATH-M50 <-- A choice that cannot go wrong
Numark PHX Pro = Numark Red Wave?? <-- looked in a few reviews on that
Denon AH-D1100 <--Good choice?
ESW-9 <-- It is such a unique headphone and smaller than the M50, but anyone would recommend on the buy (sound quality/sound/look)

more recommendations please?

Besides the TF10, I also own a Superlux 668b at home as well, so maybe you(expert) can give me a comparison between the two, since I have this on hand right now( automatically assuming that you had experienced with that). I listened my friend's Hd25-1 a week ago, but I.... I can't judge. It's well balance.. I like it, but it sounds a little dull to me??? and it was just enough to drive the headphone loud! I set the voodoo sound to hear it loud at around -11dB

I really like looking at different headphones and IEMs. I was debating rather I should buy a portable full-size headphone or try out another IEMs like the Kozee X1 with the executive package and the VSonic GR07.

I know I am throwing everything out of my mind...sorry! Help me out please =) 

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #11,916 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking to buy a portable headphone to use (train/bus). I want to buy one because I want to see how much of a different sound I can get from a headphone instead of IEM. I use a UE TF10 everyday for commute. I mostly listen to Chinese music. For English, I listen to pretty much everything(rap, rock,pop, classical and some country) except metal. I am not sure if any experts here know anything specific about the Voodoo sound on Android phone, but my main source is a LG G2x with Voodoo Sound+PowerAMP. I use andless as well. It's probably not experts would prefer, so I don't even mind to buy a new mp3 player. I do want to become an audiophile and I want to learn everything about it. I am looking for ideas of what to buy and how to identify/ describe music.

So far...
ESW-9 <-- It is such a unique headphone and smaller than the M50, but anyone would recommend on the buy (sound quality/sound/look)

Besides the TF10, I also own a Superlux 668b at home as well, so maybe you(expert) can give me a comparison between the two, since I have this on hand right now( automatically assuming that you had experienced with that). I listened my friend's Hd25-1 a week ago, but I.... I can't judge. It's well balance.. I like it, but it sounds a little dull to me??? and it was just enough to drive the headphone loud! I set the voodoo sound to hear it loud at around -11dB

I really like looking at different headphones and IEMs. I was debating rather I should buy a portable full-size headphone or try out another IEMs like the Kozee X1 with the executive package and the VSonic GR07.

if you want to try portables, try the M80 or hd25s. For a true portable, anything with a 10-foot cable will get in the way.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #11,917 of 29,490

Quote:

Where are you planning on using your headphones? If you'll be using them in public, I'd cross off the Grados, as they don't isolate and leak sound all over the place (the SR80i is just the updated SR80 btw). If you don't like piercing highs, both the Grados and the SRH440s have harsh treble, from what I've heard. Along with the M50s, consider the SRH840s, and Ultrasone HFI580/780s.

Thanks for the response.
So the SR80i have harsh treble, eh? 
That's a shame, I mean I have nothing against highs, it's real good you know for hearing that powerful cymbal and some vocals and what not, but like you said these are piercing.
and if I were to get the SR80i, I wouldn't be using them in public much.

So I guess it's not, M50s, SRH840s and the 780s.
Which one would you recommend the most?
I'm interested in the 780s the most but I'll probably have to go for the 580s because they're cheaper and I don't have a high budget (150-200 the most)
Is there a huge difference between the 780s and the 580s?

Thanks

-Addison

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #11,919 of 29,490

Quote:

So far...

only heard the esw9 and the d 1100. the esw9 is very musical and the mids are just amazing but it kinda needs an amp which defeats its purpose of being portable. the d 1100..... well idk i didnt like it its just really harsh for some reason i like its cheaper younger brother the d 510. so yea my 1 cent

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #11,920 of 29,490
Hey everyone. Sorry in advance for my noobness but I'm looking to buy some headphones mainly for on-the-go (school, travel) and just before giving in on buying some beats (studio) like every other person nowadays, I decided to do some research and found myself here, though very confused about what to buy now. After reading numerous reviews, my possibilites now include the Bose QC15, M50, D2000, DT 770, and I'm open to any other suggestions. I mostly listen to hip-hop/techno/dubstep/reggae. Comfortability is pretty important and I don't really wanna use an amp if possible. I'm mainly gonna use it with my iphone and ideally I wanna keep it below $300

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #11,921 of 29,490
Hello there o/

So, this is my first post here at Head-Fi, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones.
I'm going to be clear. I would like a recomendation of a portable headphone for use with an iPod Classic 160GB. As this will be worn in my daily bus travel and on the walk, noise atenuation should be good (so, no opened back at all).

My musical taste is:
45% "Extreme" Heavy Metal (Death, Black, Thrash - besides Hardcore and other "cores")
20% Other forms of Heavy Metal
15% Rock
10% Eletronica
10% Rap

I found out Sennheiser HD 25-1 II would be a good choice, as Grados are opened and they don't suite me.

Is there any other can you guys recomend for my needs?

Thanks so much in advance!
k701smile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #11,923 of 29,490
Hi!   I'm looking to upgrade my cans from Ath-sj 55 to the ath- Es7 .

Is it a good upgrade over my sj55 on sound quality? Im also considering the m50, but it is too difficult to carry it around with me (prefer it to be portable). I mainly listen to pop and classical songs and i like the vocals to be forward sounding and clear. I will also be using the cans to watch movies on my desktop. Any advice on this? Thank you very much.

Also, price for Es7 in my country is quite expensive. 250sgd ( 200usd) and my Sj55 only cost 80sgd ( 64usd). So if its not a major improvement in sound quality (advice needed) , i think i will pass on the Es7 and look for other portable phones that i hope head-filers can recommend.   :D

Thanks so much in advance for the response and help!  :))))

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #11,924 of 29,490
OK, so I've pretty much settled on the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms. Only question I have is I am going to be using them on my PC (Built-in soundcard) and iPod Touch. Will I need an external amp? Will it make a significant difference? If so, which is the smallest/lightest amp available that will work well with them that isn't ridiculously expensive? I need portability as I listen to music walking to college.

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #11,925 of 29,490

Hello all,

I had a pair of HD203's that started to mess up. I was looking to upgrade to something better and paying at max 150 probably. I was looking at either the SRH750DJ's, or the ATH-M50. I mainly listen to hip hop, hardcore metal, some indie stuff / pop punk stuff. A lot of stuff that has a lot of bass in it most likely. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back