++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 4, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #11,731 of 29,490
thanks for your reply.
so, in generally the Cowon J3 is a better choice than the iPod Touch..?
If for any reason I go to iPod Touch, D2000 will work nicely too without an AMP?

And btw, the D2000 are a good choice?

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #11,732 of 29,490

Quote:
thanks for your reply.
so, in generally the Cowon J3 is a better choice than the iPod Touch..?
If for any reason I go to iPod Touch, D2000 will work nicely too without an AMP?

And btw, the D2000 are a good choice?

I don't have a J3, but by all accounts, the J3 will be more Hi-Fi, though less useful for other uses, so consider your needs. I'm not sure how an unamped iPod Touch will drive the D2000, however, though I imagine the E11 will help.

Whether or not you want the D2000 depends on what kind of music you listen to and where/when you'll be using them. They're known to be a bit bass-heavy, but still good all-around.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #11,733 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't have a J3, but by all accounts, the J3 will be more Hi-Fi, though less useful for other uses, so consider your needs. I'm not sure how an unamped iPod Touch will drive the D2000, however, though I imagine the E11 will help.

Whether or not you want the D2000 depends on what kind of music you listen to and where/when you'll be using them. They're known to be a bit bass-heavy, but still good all-around.

So do you think the D2000 will be too bass-heavy for me?

I'm not a huge rap fan, but obviously don't want something that's weak on bass, but at the same time don't want overpowering bass on my rock, alt, and indie music. I always was under the impression that the 595 were pretty neutral. Not sterile, but neutral.

Maybe I need something pretty all-purpose since these are gonna run the gauntlet purpose and genre-wise. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #11,734 of 29,490
Looking for a budget pair of over ear headphones. Trying to decide between Audio Technica ATH-400, JVC HARX700, Panasonic RP-HTF-600-S, and Sennheiser HD 201. Want something a little more on the bassy side because I listen to a lot of electric music. What do you guys recommend?

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #11,735 of 29,490

Quote:

How portable do you need them to be? That will affect your options and narrow it down. I would add the Ultrasones too, however.

These would solely be for home listening from a stationary source likely no more then 6-8 feet away usually less.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #11,736 of 29,490
Thanks for the replies.

I went "headphone-testing" today :wink:. Tried the following:

Ultimare Ears Triple Fi 10

Shure SE215, SE315, SE425 and SE535.

AKG K518 DJ, K701, Q701 and K3003.

Beats by Dr Dre Solo, Studio and Pro.

Sennheiser CX300-II Precision, HD598, HD280 and HD25-II 1.

Sony MDR 7509, XB300, XB500 and XB700.

Ultrasone HFI 680 and HFI 780.

Denon D1001, D2000 and D5000.

Grado SR60i, 80i, 125i and 325i.

AiAiAi Tracks and TMA-1.

Philips O'Neil Stretch and SHP8900

Marshal Minor and Major

Bowers & Wilkins P5 and C5

Yep... That is a all in one day :p. So what was the conclusion? I bought a pair of Triple Fi 10's from Amazon for 120 pounds. And I think that Shure SE215 is probably the best sounding sub 100 USD for the iPhone without an amp. It will be my recommendation for my friends when they ask me what to get. Since non-audophiles will not spend half a fortune on headphones and probably loose them, break them, through them around a bit and wants to use them as a portable headphone without an amp and probably with an MP3-player or mobile phone I think the SE215 is ideal for them. Moreover I do like the Grado sound but they are way to uncomfortable for me. I can not hear a different between the SE535 and the K3003. The D5000 is the best sounding closed headphone I have heard. The TMA-1 sounds really, really nice but are seriously muddy to my ears. If you want a portable and great sounding headphone without bloated bass that work straight out from an iPhone, the Headfi community is right, just get tha HD25-II 1 or the Originals version (or wait for the Amperior :wink:.) and be done with it. Unfortunately I have a liking for bass and they do have great punch and quickness but not the impact I am looking for. I think I am one of the few people here that actually like the Beats. Not the Solos or Studios thou, but the Pros. To me they are not worth the asking price but for a bit less my opinion is that they are a great package of style, comfort, bass, treble, midrange and portability. They look really good compared to most headphones. They do not sound that good thou. But if you want a bassy sound with a lot of impact and too much color of the midrange then these are pretty good. They are more comfortable then all the other headphones I have tried (Yes, I do like the strong clamping force). They seem to be well built. And since I travel a lot they block out a respectful amount of unwanted sound. So I will save up for a pair of Beats Pro or try to listen to the Audio Technica ATH M50. Maybe I will wait for the Beats Executives, Philips Fidelio L1 or the very exciting Parrot Zik headphones. Anybody got any adwise?

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #11,737 of 29,490
ok, I checked and the HD202s are slightly above my budget but I am prepared to spend.
You said the Uprock is good but then why the question mark?
By the Koss, you mean the UR18

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #11,738 of 29,490
i can get the Koss CS95, CS100, UR10, UR20, KSC17 in my budget.
HD 202 II is available too, how's that?
My budget is INR 1500 as stated. The 202s cost 1750 but it's okay.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #11,740 of 29,490
I have a quick question about getting my beyers Darth'd. 

I've had DT770pro80 for close to 5 years now and I'm thinking of making the upgrade.

I was reading over the headphile order page and was a little confused about the pads and headband for the V4CS. 

If I get Darths, can I opt to keep my original headband and earpads instead of buying new ones? The only reason I ask is because:

"[size=medium]Black pads are more than V4, because I can't use your pads like I can from my new pairs. Same with leather headband. I would return your pads and/or headband pad if either or both are ordered."[/size]

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #11,743 of 29,490
I think i've revised my opinion on what type of headphones i'm looking for. Open backs are fine too, i just want an upgrade from my 595s, a change of pace if you will, that will adequately cover all the bases, music, monitoring and movies, as well as possible for around $300 (i'm thinking of selling the 595 to my friend for around $100).

I found a few pairs of HD650s for about $300, but i've heard that a good amp should be bought with them. I'm not against this, since it'd be nice to have one for my desktop and laptop in college. Amazon shows the FiiO E7 and E9, which i'm sure aren't that great, bu interest me since they aren't all that expensive and work as a desktop/portable pair.

So, a generally good set that can be used at home and in public for music (rock, alt, indie and some modern rap and such), monitoring, and movies/media.

Sure, i couldn't use open-backs to study, but why limit myself, i could always pick up a cheaper pair for those rare instances. "Best" all-round pair for ~$300, give or take $100, new or used, amp or no amp.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #11,744 of 29,490
Ok I just got the ATH-M50s.... I have a problem.

I also have the modded sansa clip+ and it irrirates me that the little clip sounds better than my xps 15 laptop.

I am a newbie at audio and my laptop wont sound as clean as my clip+... I also have better bass control. Now I have a e7 dac/amp but when i use it as an amp i can pull out more bass, when I used it as a DAC it sounds a little muddled.

Is there somethign I should be using with DAC such as a different equalizer or something???

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #11,745 of 29,490
hey guys I really need to make a decision. I'm looking for an in ear monitor, my budget is $200. right now im looking at the ultimate ears triplefi 10, shure 315, ultimate ears ue700, and audio perfect fit PFE 112.

I listen to mostly r&b, but pretty much listen to almost everything. Im going to have the fiio e17 soon. I only have the hd598 from sennheiser and AT m50.

I care the most about the quality and looking for a warm feel (dont like harsh headphones like grado).

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back