++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #11,536 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for this!

I'm thinking the HE-500 probably sounds like a good pairing then. I really wanted to try the LCD-2s, because I heard they had a really silky/smooth natural sound. And to me, that sounded less fatiguing. But if the bass is really a hard hitter, it could fatigue me.

Thanks for your input on the HD-800. I think I'll pass on that, because a lot of the music I listen to will probably sound like ****. While I do listen to a lot of classic rock, I also listen to a lot of modern rock (especially Indie). And a lot of the mastering/recording is awful. So I can only imagine the HD-800 would obliterate my library. 

The bass on the LCD-2 isn't what i would call overwhelming, it's just that it extends really nice and deep without much roll-off. It's definately not overbloated or heightened at all in my ears. Of course the best course of action is to try and find a shop to try them in, and since I assume you're swedish (reading your avatarname) as well I think there are some shops in stockholm that do carry them if you happen to live nearby.

The fit might not be for everyone, it's a heavy headphone but the sound is rather excellent!

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #11,537 of 29,490
Hello,

I come back with my questions :)
I have an ipod classic 4th generation. The 4th Gen iPods have a Wolfson WM8975 audio chip in them. I would like to use the doc connector like the lineout with a LOD cable.
I listen rock (radiohead, bjork, sigur ros, smashing, etc..) pop-rock (coldplay for example) trip hop (massive attack, portishead,...) rock seventies (led zep) and classic (requiem faure, mozart, wagner, etc...)
I would like to buy a new headphone :
AKG K271 MK II (55 ohm) : I can read it is very neutral and the big default is the bass and low bass but the price is very very interesting
BeyerDynamic DT880 PRO 250 ohm or 600 ohm : very nice can but more expensive and a little bit out of my budget :frowning2:

So if i use an amp for the AKG is it better for the bass ?
I read a lot of thread ofr a lot of cans but it seems to be difficult to have the good choice.

If you can help me !
Thank you.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #11,538 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks to all head-fi'ers.. who helped me decide to buy good headphones under $100, i ordered Creative Aurvana Live on Amazon for $70. and Koss KSC75 as back-up.
bigsmile_face.gif
 after getting more recommendations for these. as i can use them at home also on outside with iPhone...
dt880smile.png
. BTW PurpleAngel how did your CAL & HD668B broke? i heard if you take proper care CALs last for many years.. they are best BANG FOR BUCK IMO...
wink.gif
  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED..!!!

When I was wearing the HD668Bs, I got up from a chair and the cord went taunt for few second at a right angle, lost 95% of the sound.
If I open up the cup were the cord attachs, I'm sure I could fix whatever connection came lose.

The CALS were in a black bag, it was late at night and in the dark I stepped on the bag. broke of of the cup off, but not the wires.
So the CALSs still make sound, need to glue the cup back onto the headband.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #11,539 of 29,490
Thanks for the help guys.

I listened to the AKG Q701 and the HD650 yesterday, again. I really like the Q701, because they're incredibly precise, they just lack bass, it's precise bass again though. (I know they're open, but they have a lot less than other open headphones I tried). I only occasionally listen to bass-heavy music, so that's not a HUGE problem..

The HD650 have slightly more bass, but I don't like the sound that much.. Not sure why. I'm leaning towards the Q701 paired with a desktop amp. But then again, I haven't heard the DT880. Anyone know where I can listen to those in Switzerland?

Thx

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #11,540 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi,

New here. I was wondering if anybody could help me out because i am completely lost.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones + a portable amp.
I will be using a MBP13"(2011) and an Ipod Nano 4th gen.
I mainly listen to techno.

My budget is around 300 euros.

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 250Ohm but i'm not sure they would go well with my style of music.
Also i have no idea wich amp to use...

I've also looked into the 880's but that one is semi-open so probably not a good idea to take onto the road.
The Shure 840 has been recommended to me, but from reviews they say its well balanced but compared to the 770 it doesn't have that much bass. ( And i also don't like the look all that much ).

Argh please help me :D

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #11,541 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone... Long time lurker here... I have a pair of Etymotic ER4-P's that I am going to post on the For Sale / For Trade once I have enough posts (didn't realize that was a requirement until I tried to post on that page)... So I figured it might be a good time to check what might be a good set to look for in trade (or if I sell them what I should look to buy).  

I'm looking for an over the ears pair of headphones as this is more comfortable for me then in-ears.  I just bought a pair of Brainwavz HM5 (preordered) so would be looking for something to complement them.  I was thinking of maybe a pair of Denon AH-D2000's.  I tend to like a slight emphasis in the bass and a warm sound signature.  Any other ideas?

Quote:
From your descriptions, it sounds like the D2000 will fit you perfectly. Go for it!

Thanks it sounds like it might be a good choice, I just wonder about the highs being a little too much as I have heard that they have a little bit of sparkle... Just want to make sure they are not fatiguing.  I would love to be able to try headphones before I buy, but a recent stop at the local Guitar Center would not allow this (said it was a hygiene issue).  Are there any stores that allow this these days?

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #11,542 of 29,490
Thanks, I'm just going to try to audition them first then before deciding. That's the best answer.

Quote:
The bass on the LCD-2 isn't what i would call overwhelming, it's just that it extends really nice and deep without much roll-off. It's definately not overbloated or heightened at all in my ears. Of course the best course of action is to try and find a shop to try them in, and since I assume you're swedish (reading your avatarname) as well I think there are some shops in stockholm that do carry them if you happen to live nearby.

The fit might not be for everyone, it's a heavy headphone but the sound is rather excellent!

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #11,543 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 250Ohm but i'm not sure they would go well with my style of music.

I have it (the Pro version), and I think it is probably well suited for your music. The semi-open DT880 has a better midrange (vocals sound better, for example), but the bass - while clear and decently extended - is perhaps not impactful enough for techno for everyone. The 770 also has sharper treble, though. You may also consider the DT990 Pro, which is basically an open DT770, and can often be found at relatively low prices; it also has emphasized (albeit different sounding, more mid- than sub-) bass and treble.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #11,544 of 29,490
Hello, guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I guess you could say I'm a budding audiophile -- I enjoy HEARING good music, and have an impulsive trigger finger when it comes to my upgrading my wares (much to the chagrin of my wallet).

I own a pair of HD-280's, SRH-840, and my IEMs are Orotofon EQ-7's. Amp is FiiO E11. 

The 840's are my most recent purchase. I travel fair amount between the United States and Asia, and I wanted something with a solid amount of isolation paired with a more neutral-ish/dynamic sound (if that's possible). My first choice(s) were the HM5 and FA-003, but had trouble finding them in stock anywhere (which is all good and well, as I prefer to buy through Amazon due to their liberal return policy and my Prime membership), so I opted for the 840's. So far I wouldn't say that I am unhappy, per se, but they aren't exactly knocking me off my feet. I've burnt them in about 25-30 hours, and they are comfortable and the sound is good -- but I'm finding they aren't as refined as I'd like. The difference is certainly distinguishable from the relative flatness of my HD-280s, but I was expecting more. Maybe they need more burn time? 

I'm leaning towards returning them.

I listen primarily to electronica, classic and alternative rock. However, I also get in the mood for thumping hip-hop/r&b at times. While I am far from a basshead, I would like my phones to have that level of versatility. I mentioned having considered the FA003/HM5, but was also taking a look at the Ultrasone line, KNS-8400s, Denon AHD2000 .... I would say $200 is my ceiling, but it's flexible up to $250 (I'm already showing my weakness for quality audio). 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #11,545 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for a new pair of headphones + a portable amp.
I will be using a MBP13"(2011) and an iPod Nano 4th gen.
I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 250Ohm but I'm not sure they would go well with my style of music.
Also i have no idea which amp to use...
I've also looked into the 880's but that one is semi-open so probably not a good idea to take onto the road.
The Shure 840 has been recommended to me, but from reviews they say its well balanced but compared to the 770 it doesn't have that much bass. ( And i also don't like the look all that much ).

I do like the sound of my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm cans. the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are a close second.

Fiio E11 for amplifier?

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #11,546 of 29,490
Hey fellas,

New to the board, and hoping I can find some help. I'm looking to upgrade my HD280 Pro's with a better set of headphones. The headphones will be used mostly for two purposes (for now): to monitor my sound board for live sound, and just simple listening to music while at the gym (don't mid if it's huge on my head while in the gym). For the live sound situations, I'm looking to buy an amp (maybe something from FiiO? you guys can help here too).

Budget around $200-$250 cap (headphone only).
Work with an amp (at FOH desk), and also work without an amp (at the gym, quality is not a concern here).
Great, if not best, sound quality. I'd like a little extra bass as well.
It has to be closed, and the most sound cancelling I can get to eliminate most of that 90+ db's at the FOH.
Comfortable, of course.

I was recommended an HD25 due to it's good sound cancellation and DJ nature, but I'm looking to see what else is available.

Any advice and suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #11,547 of 29,490
How would you guys rate the HD 600 from 1-10 in terms of sound quality?  

How does it compare to the other high end headphones that are similar priced to headphones that are $200-$300 more?

Are the HD600s still highly regarded after all these years?

And rate on a scale of 1-10 how much better the HD600 is compared to the earbuds that comes with ipod touches.  You can go over 10 if ya want like up to 1 million.

This is all with the E9/E7 or E9/17 amp/dac with all genres.  This is gonna be the last bit of researching I need to decide whether I should get the HD600 over the 650s cause I don't wanna pay $500 for the 650s when I could've gotten them for $350 a month ago.  I need you guys to help convince me to get the HD600 over the HD650s cause this decision to buy the HD600 now or wait for a price drop on the 650 is killing me right now!  I never own any good headphones before btw.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #11,548 of 29,490

Quote:
How would you guys rate the HD 600 from 1-10 in terms of sound quality?  7/10, due to personal preference.

How does it compare to the other high end headphones that are similar priced to headphones that are $200-$300 more? Not sure what you mean by that, but it's had a bitter rivalry with the DT880s and K701s (both around $300) for a long time.

Are the HD600s still highly regarded after all these years? Yes.

And rate on a scale of 1-10 how much better the HD600 is compared to the earbuds that comes with ipod touches.  You can go over 10 if ya want like up to 1 million. At least 100, but you get the point.

This is all with the E9/E7 or E9/17 amp/dac with all genres.  This is gonna be the last bit of researching I need to decide whether I should get the HD600 over the 650s cause I don't wanna pay $500 for the 650s when I could've gotten them for $350 a month ago.  I need you guys to help convince me to get the HD600 over the HD650s cause this decision to buy the HD600 now or wait for a price drop on the 650 is killing me right now!  I never own any good headphones before btw.

Just get them. You will be absolutely blown away. I prefer the HD600s over the 650s myself.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #11,549 of 29,490
Are these specs for my headphone out of my soundcard good enough for DT 990 600hm version or maybe denon ah-d2000

Headphone Output
Load Impedance 16 Ohms – 600 Ohms
Maximum Output Level (100 Ohm load) 1,55 V RMS (load 100Ohm), 3,1V RMS (no load)
SNR (weighted) 93 dBu
THD+N (100 Ohms) 0,016%
Frequency Response +/- 1 dBu 10 Hz-40 kHz

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #11,550 of 29,490

Quote:
Are these specs for my headphone out of my soundcard good enough for DT 990 600hm version or maybe denon ah-d2000

Headphone Output
Load Impedance 16 Ohms – 600 Ohms
Maximum Output Level (100 Ohm load) 1,55 V RMS (load 100Ohm), 3,1V RMS (no load)
SNR (weighted) 93 dBu
THD+N (100 Ohms) 0,016%
Frequency Response +/- 1 dBu 10 Hz-40 kHz

I would get the D2000s because a) the soundcard's output voltage is rather pathetic and b) the DT990s are much more revealing headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back