++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #11,371 of 29,490

Quote:

Unless you are not bothered by a forward and at times shrill lower treble with lack of low bass, I would steer clear of the Grado 325is. I had a real problem listening with them for any length of time.  Instead, I would go with the Denon D2000s, which have a neutral frequency response and sound very good for the money.

I haven't heard then D2ks (really hope to some day though) but I've read they have recessed mids though I don't know how much. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #11,373 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello head-fi community!
I'm new here. I just got a gift, a Sennheiser HD 215. After using it, I decided to quit using speakers (laptop and portable) and start using/buying headphones. Would you guys recommend me using a headphone amp for this? Would a Fiio e11 work? what is its difference to the Fiio e7?

The E7 is a DAC/Amp and the E11 is an amp only.

If you're using onboard sound from you laptop, you're crippling your sound from the source. The E11 is a better amp than the E7, but if the signal its receiving from your laptop is poor, its only amplifying an already poor signal, and very little is gained if anything at all.

The E7 will bypass your laptop's onboard sound completely, and convert the audio in its truest, purest form. Think of it as a portable external soundcard. The amp on the E7 isn't as powerful as the E11, but the Digital-to-Analog-Converter will have a far greater impact than pure amplification.

The E7 can also be upgraded in the future should you need better amplification, as it can be docked onto the E9, or paired with the E11 if you want to stay portable.

In summary, get the E7. Now.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #11,374 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

My name is Dan and I'm a first time poster here.

I just purchased a set of Grado SR80i's and I am totally in love with the sound. I've heard that a lot of people on here can't stand the way they feel for too long, but that isn't my concern at all. I simply can't have headphones that are this audible to people in the area. I understand that the open-back design will do that so I can't really look for another set of Grado's.

My last set of headphones was a set of Sony MDR-60's. The sound was okay (my description after hearing these Grado headphones), but they were the most comfortable headphones I had ever worn and the added benefit of being silent to people around me.

I'm currently in college with three semesters to go and going to a library with the Grado headphones is pretty much impossible because of how loud they are to other people.

So basically what I'm looking for is this (prioritized highest to lowest):

- Priced no higher than $150
- Silent to those around me
- Comparable sound to the Grado's.

Once I get out of college, I may get myself a permanent set of Grado's, but for right now, that's an impossibility, so I'm going to have to return these.

Thanks,
Dan

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #11,376 of 29,490
Hey All,

I have similar requirements to the previous post but to reiterate.

1. Music Types: metal, melodic death metal, occasionally softer metal
  2. Headphone Type: closed is a must as i need really good isolation (quiet office environment).
  3. Price: Im flexible with price but I have no problem with around 600 (more if necessary).
  4. Other Equipment: I have just purchased a pair of Senn HD650 and before you say it, that is how I like my metal when im at home nice and mellow and warm. I will be buying a desktop amp and dac as well (yet to be decided on). I would like to buy a pair of headphones for on the go and at work. I would like more up beat and brighter and more fun for this.

Now that the context is out of the way. I would like to buy a pair of headphones and a portable amp/dac (one unit prefered  for logistics) I will be driving it with a digital source. What are a good combo of headphones and amd/dac that meet my requirements?

Thanks in advance,
PS: if you need any more info just ask im happy to provide

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #11,378 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello head-fi community!
I'm new here. I just got a gift, a Sennheiser HD 215. After using it, I decided to quit using speakers (laptop and portable) and start using/buying headphones. Would you guys recommend me using a headphone amp for this? Would a Fiio e11 work? what is its difference to the Fiio e7?

Sennheiser HD215, only 32-Ohms, easy to power, should be able to use a headphone amplifier in the $60-$80, but no more.
Anything over $80 only adds very minimal improvement, not worth the extra money.
I vote for a Fiio E10, USB/DAC/Headphone amplifier, you can plug it into your laptops USB port.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #11,380 of 29,490
Hey there, I've asked this on another thread and I've kinda been seeing a lot of mixed reactions; well, anyway, I've got my mind set on a pair of AKG Q701s. I currently own a pair of the K240 MKIIs (also Grado SR60is) and these are amazing for the genres of music I like. 99.99% it's all metal, punk and a tiny bit of acoustic on the side. Now, this might be an outrage, AKGs for metal? These things I own are absolutely amazing for progressive, a lot of the cores I listen to and all of the genres in general. Now, I'm obviously not using these headphones right, but after the numerous amounts of headphones I've tried, these are the ones I like the most.

What I'm trying to get at is I like the AKG sound signature and I was wondering if I'm screwing myself over buying a pair of AKG Q701s for primarily progressive, death, thrash, classic, punk?

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #11,381 of 29,490

Quote:
I haven't heard then D2ks (really hope to some day though) but I've read they have recessed mids though I don't know how much. 

The mids are recessed a bit - enough to be noticeable, but not too much.  I was worried about it when I got mine as well, but after a while, I stopped caring because everything else sounds so good :D

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #11,383 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello guys,

First and foremost, greetings to you.

Up until now I haven't really been listening to music on more than the average setup (onboard audio, random headphones etc).
However I've decided to take this up a notch, so yesterday I bought a pair of Shure SRH-440.

Now being new to this, I read lots of things about DACs/Amps, and I'm not sure what would be appropriate and what not, so here's the basic rundown:

- I'll be using them for music, all sorts really, but I guess most would be electronic music and pop/hip-hop
- source will be my work laptop, which obviously has a nasty integrated audio ,or my Galaxy S2 phone, depending on which would prove best.
- budget is ~100 GBP / ~150 USD

Now if I'll use the phone, I heard they use a Wolfson DAC which supposedly outputs pretty good sound.
If I use the laptop I'll also need an external USB soundcard (Creative? any alternatives?).

So I'm not sure if I should be looking into buying an external soundcard, and amp (I don't care if it's portable or not), or both.

Could I please have some thoughts?
Cheers!

PS: It would also be ideal if I can get it off somewhere that ships to the EU or at least the UK.

Okay. after reading for couple of hours last night, I came to the conclusion that since I'll be listening through a laptop mostly and at times through my phone, best would be to buy either an E7 (DAC for laptop, Amp for phone) or an E17 (DAC for laptop, Amp for phone) correct?

Am I correct in believing that it's rather useless also purchasing an external soundcard? (since the DAC will take care of signal quality)
Would purchasing an external soundcard be an alternative to purchasing a DAC/Amp combo? Are they equivalent?

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #11,385 of 29,490
I have been reading and checking out headphones the past weeks and I'm closing in on the AKG K271 MKII to be my first pair of serious headphones (have only tried a pair of Boses and cheap Behringers before). They're going for 125$ at amazon.com which I think is quite affordable.

I'm thinking of pairing them with a CMoy amp from JDS labs, but is this enough on its own? Will I need a DAC also?

They will be used with a computer and an ipod mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back