++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 18, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #11,162 of 29,490
Im looking to buy a set of high quality headphones.  I listen to about every genre from rap to alternative to classical.  I really like the dt770's because everyone says they are very balanced.  I currently have a titanium hd soundcard.  Will that suffice or should I invest in getting a desktop headphone amp + dac?  If so are there any recommendations?

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #11,163 of 29,490

Quote:
First off, are you going to be using these exclusively at home, or on the go as well? That pretty much determines whether you want closed or open cans. Also, past about $300, I think pretty much anything you get will sound better with an amp. However, higher end portables like the Beyerdynamic DT1350 don't require an amp, and I guess the Beyerdynamic 770/880/990 32-ohm models might not need them either. Also the Senn 598s. One last thing, what kind of music will you be listening to/what kind of sound are you looking for? That's another big factor.

i'll mainly use them at home for rock, indie, indie/rock...just for make an ex: florence + machine.At the moment i have an sr60i and i love them..but i need more bass. I've tested some other grado but i didnt find what i was looking for. they grow in soundstage and mids...but not in bass..so i guess that i've to look somewhere else.
the kind of sound that i'd like is as similar as possible to grado (that in your face and defined highs) but with a good bass...that brings more body to the song but without beign too much..im not a bass-head. just for example i've tested the senn hd518 and didnt like it cuz too much boomy bass. i need something in between....that plays well without amp cuz i dont wanna enter in that world! i'm already to much into hp....if i start to compare and search for amps...i will just go insane...i guess u can understand me:)
i'm not an analitic listener...i just want to have fun with my music...so i'm not looking forward to a k701 definition...cuz even with my sr60i's level of definition i'm quite sold..but i do need more bass, and generally more body in a well balanced sound.        basically just the perfect hp.     im not asking too much, am i??:)

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #11,164 of 29,490
Hi All,

I have been using different types of earbuds (senn's, bose etc) for a
long time and now I want to buy me a nice pair of headphones (under
$100).
I have been searching across forums and reading user reviews. But more
I am reading, more confused I get.
I have created a short-list to choose from (Additions and removals in
the list are most welcome). Please help me in choosing a headphone.

JVC HARX700
Grado SR60i
ATH M30/M40FS/AD500/AD700
Senn's HD438/448

Purpose:        Music
Taste:             R&B, soft rock, pop, trance, instrumental (mostly all-types)
Where to use: Mostly noise-less places (Office & home etc)
Device:           Sansa Fuze v2
Amplifier:        None (no plans to buy as of now)

I am not a Basshead but I sometimes listen to songs which demand
slightly punchier bass.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #11,165 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to all these headphones thing as I finally have the buying power to get some nice headphones for myself. 
I'm looking for some nice headphones to go with and I'll list out some specifics.

Current headphones: iFrogz Nervepipes Earpollution (Yellow, Chrome)

Usage: Music mostly, maybe a little for gaming and I'm definitely someone who listens to music anywhere and everywhere.

Music Genre: Rock, Alternative, Classic Rock, Electronic, Jazz (I like the sound of drums and some good bass is awesome I guess?)

Examples: Coldplay, System of a Down, Rage Against The Machine, David Bowie, Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, and those new top songs on the billboards. :D

MP3 Player: Currently using a iPod nano 6th generation (Anything else better than these?)

Budget: $300 maximum

Current headphones in mind: M50, HFI-580, Pro700MK2, TMA-1, MS1i, SR225i

So do you guys have any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance :D

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #11,166 of 29,490
How are the V-Moda M80 in comparison to the Beats By Dre Solo HD/ Studio , i'm not considering the beats but before I buy a headphone I make sure it's better than the mainstream popular stuff.. "Best Bang For My BUCK ! " :D

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #11,167 of 29,490
I listen mainly to dubstep, the heavier stuff. I'm looking for a pair of closed-over ear, portable/semi-portable (not looking to use with an amp) pair of headphones.

Can i get some advice on the Shure SRH 940 vs Ultrasone Pro 900? Both of these were recommended to me but i'm not sure if there is a clear distinction between which one is more cost efficient for the sound.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated too :)

Merci!

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #11,168 of 29,490
hello
I need advice on a new headphone for the Sansa Clip +, galaxy s2, but mostly to the laptop at home.
No in-ear, full-size headphone, doesnt matter closed or open
Preferably, easy to run, cuz i will not buy a dac / amp for a while.
a plus if you can detach the cable like dr.dre beats.

Listening for the most part on Asian music , so pop, ballads, soft rock, rap?: P

price is max 200 usd

i want to buy the  Audio-Technica M50

but is there any other in same price range or cheaper that is on par with the M50 sound quality? or close to, with Detachable cable or more comfortable for your head?

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #11,169 of 29,490
So I'm down to the ATH-M50 and the Ultrasone HFI-780 (cheaper than the 580 on amazon currently.) As the M50's are cheaper, I may choose them because of that. The deciding factor is if the Ultrasones are better when amped than when the M50's are. I've got a 200w Kenwood speaker amp from 1987 that I'm using currently and am assuming that it works better than just the headphone jack out of the PC (in my experiences it is.) So if anyone can give me a hand with this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #11,170 of 29,490

Quote:
i'll mainly use them at home for rock, indie, indie/rock...just for make an ex: florence + machine.At the moment i have an sr60i and i love them..but i need more bass. I've tested some other grado but i didnt find what i was looking for. they grow in soundstage and mids...but not in bass..so i guess that i've to look somewhere else.
the kind of sound that i'd like is as similar as possible to grado (that in your face and defined highs) but with a good bass...that brings more body to the song but without beign too much..im not a bass-head. just for example i've tested the senn hd518 and didnt like it cuz too much boomy bass. i need something in between....that plays well without amp cuz i dont wanna enter in that world! i'm already to much into hp....if i start to compare and search for amps...i will just go insane...i guess u can understand me:)
i'm not an analitic listener...i just want to have fun with my music...so i'm not looking forward to a k701 definition...cuz even with my sr60i's level of definition i'm quite sold..but i do need more bass, and generally more body in a well balanced sound.        basically just the perfect hp.     im not asking too much, am i??:)

I am on a search similar to xirtmam85. I am looking for a pair of headphones with a particular sound and which I can obtain either used or new for no more than $500.00 in total.

Basically I am looking for Grado 325s with more extended bass, more extended treble,  and less brightness which is the result of the lower treble spike, the infamous 2kHz spike.  I do not want to modify the headphones; I am not a DIYer and the price of modification by a third party will put the phones out of my price range.

I do not want to give up the fantastic and exciting midrange. The Grado 325s midrange is detailed, fast, present and tonally correct. Instruments and vocals within the midrange sound as they should. I am enthralled by how these headphones do the midrange.

I will very grateful for all recommendations.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #11,171 of 29,490

Quote:
I am on a search similar to xirtmam85.  I am looking for a headphone that has the midrange presence, detail, tonality, and pace of my Grado 325s, but less brightness in the treble and lower in the bass, but fast enough to keep up with the midrange.  

I am a fan of the Grado sound and looking for headphones that maintain what I love about it and improve upon it in the areas discussed above. 

My budget does not exceed $400.00, new and used, and since  am in no rush I will wait for a used pair to be put up for sale., if dictated by my budgetary restrictions.

I am grateful for all recommendations.

I think the problem arises from the fact that you have already bright drivers in aluminum, a "bright" sounding material, so to speak. If you're a DIYer, look here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum

I think this thread gives a little insight on what wood can do to the sound in replacement of aluminum.

Also, I've noticed that going from bowl pads (stock for 325is) to jumbos or a more over-ear, enclosing ear pad really tightens up the bass.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #11,172 of 29,490
Alright... here I go...again.

I am looking for a high end headphone for ALL genre's but especially for Electronic (The Prodigy, Crystal Method, Amon Tobin). Doesn't matter if its open or closed really but I would prefer if it was close. Budget is around $500-$999 (So €850), I don't have an Amp or DAC at the moment but they will come. I have been looking at the:

1. Audio Technica W1000x
  2. Denon D5000/D7000
  3. Beyerdynamic T1 (Its priced €850 here)
  4. Beyers DT770/880/990
  5. Beyerdynamic T70P

One major thing I want to excel with my headphones is Comfort. My session will be from 2 hours to 6 hours straight. At the moment, my choice is between the D7000 and the T1. My problem is that (on paper) my sound preference would probably prefer the D7000, but since the D7000 and T1 are exactly at the same price here I am feeling I shouldn't let the change slip to own a T1... sigh..

Anyone got some recommendations?

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #11,173 of 29,490
Based on some more research I purchased the HD598 and the HRT HeadStreamer (I will upgrade to separate DAC/Amp next time I upgrade my headphones).  Thanks for the help everyone!  They _should_ arrive tomorrow, I will post my review.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #11,174 of 29,490
Congrats on your purchase of the HD 598. Looking forward to your review! 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Based on some more research I purchased the HD598 and the HRT HeadStreamer (I will upgrade to separate DAC/Amp next time I upgrade my headphones).  Thanks for the help everyone!  They _should_ arrive tomorrow, I will post my review.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #11,175 of 29,490

Quote:
I live in Canada........higher priced items for sure!  Check Amazon.ca

That really sucks...

Quote:
Hi everyone,  i have a shure SE420 with me. Should I upgrade to SE535? or should i try UE tf10? Is it worth to do that? i usually listen to some J-pop and Rock music. My player is Cowon iaudio9. i am confused.. Thanks!

How do you like your Shures? Are you looking for something different to complement your existing set, or a direct upgrade? The Shures have a midrange emphasis, while the TF10s emphasize treble and bass. The TF10 sound signature might be better for your genres, but YMMV.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I actually manage to come across a local used pair of DT-770 PRO 250 for $100 today and i had to get them. Just going to get a nice portable amp and call it a day. I hear mixed reviews on the bass on them but i think if its powered to its full potential they should be fine for what i'm looking for. Hopfully their size doesn't become to big of an issue!

Also i guess i should ask while i'm here... I was hoping to get a portable amp for the 770 pro 250 and the e11 seemed to be the only one plausible. Will that be sufficient? Or would i need to go higher to power these?

The E11 might drive it ok, but probably not to its fullest potential.

Quote:
when i started really getting into this hobby with my SA5000s and grados i was absolutely loving it and didnt think i'd need another headphone. now, after a little over a year, i cant bear to listen for more than 10 mins at a clip because of the intense brightness these cans put out. i cant imagine why it didnt effect me for such a long time, but i now need to go into a different direction. I guess I'm looking for a dark/darker sounding phone than what I have now. I'm using a squeezbox touch into a ef2a for now, also have e7/e9, but will be upgrading to a higher level setup in the near future. I would appreciate some suggestions on a pair phones that would suit me best. I've heard the hd650s are dark, but other than that I dont know what the options are. Thanks

Yeah, the HD650 are supposed to be dark, as are the D7000, but the D7000 will have more bass.

Quote:
If I bought the "HRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Converter" ($150 from Amazon), the Schiit Asgard ($250), and the Sennheiser HD 598 ($250 from Amazon) I'm look at $650.  Would this be a good combination, worth the extra cost?

EDIT: Or should I start with the HD 598 and the FiiO E10 ($80 from Amazon) before springing for the HRT and Asgard?

First off, I think you can probably get the 598s for cheaper if you look hard enough. Also, It depends on if you're willing to spend the extra $300 for the improvement. 

Quote:
Im looking to buy a set of high quality headphones.  I listen to about every genre from rap to alternative to classical.  I really like the dt770's because everyone says they are very balanced.  I currently have a titanium hd soundcard.  Will that suffice or should I invest in getting a desktop headphone amp + dac?  If so are there any recommendations?

For best sound quality, you might want a separate amp, but if you get the 32-ohm version, you might not need it.

Quote:

I think you should look into the HD598s, which are known to be quite good all-around.

Quote:
Hi All,

I have been using different types of earbuds (senn's, bose etc) for a
long time and now I want to buy me a nice pair of headphones (under
$100).
I have been searching across forums and reading user reviews. But more
I am reading, more confused I get.
I have created a short-list to choose from (Additions and removals in
the list are most welcome). Please help me in choosing a headphone.

JVC HARX700
Grado SR60i
ATH M30/M40FS/AD500/AD700
Senn's HD438/448

Purpose:        Music
Taste:             R&B, soft rock, pop, trance, instrumental (mostly all-types)
Where to use: Mostly noise-less places (Office & home etc)
Device:           Sansa Fuze v2
Amplifier:        None (no plans to buy as of now)

I am not a Basshead but I sometimes listen to songs which demand
slightly punchier bass.

Thanks

I would also check out the Creative Aurvana Lives and the Koss DJ100s. Also, probably take out the grado, as it might not have a sound signature that fits your genres (it's better for aggressive music).

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to all these headphones thing as I finally have the buying power to get some nice headphones for myself. 
I'm looking for some nice headphones to go with and I'll list out some specifics.

Current headphones: iFrogz Nervepipes Earpollution (Yellow, Chrome)
Usage: Music mostly, maybe a little for gaming and I'm definitely someone who listens to music anywhere and everywhere.
Music Genre: Rock, Alternative, Classic Rock, Electronic, Jazz (I like the sound of drums and some good bass is awesome I guess?)
Examples: Coldplay, System of a Down, Rage Against The Machine, David Bowie, Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, and those new top songs on the billboards. :D
MP3 Player: Currently using a iPod nano 6th generation (Anything else better than these?)
Budget: $300 maximum

So do you guys have any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance :D

Look at some nice portables, like the Senn HD25-1, V-Moda M80, and Beyer DT1350.

Quote:
How are the V-Moda M80 in comparison to the Beats By Dre Solo HD/ Studio , i'm not considering the beats but before I buy a headphone I make sure it's better than the mainstream popular stuff.. "Best Bang For My BUCK ! " :D

By all accounts, it's miles better, not to mention the same price/cheaper.

Quote:
I listen mainly to dubstep, the heavier stuff. I'm looking for a pair of closed-over ear, portable/semi-portable (not looking to use with an amp) pair of headphones.

Can i get some advice on the Shure SRH 940 vs Ultrasone Pro 900? Both of these were recommended to me but i'm not sure if there is a clear distinction between which one is more cost efficient for the sound.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated too :)

Merci!

The Ultrasones will likely give you the bass you want, as opposed to the Shures, which are brighter and more balanced throughout the spectrum.

Quote:
hello
I need advice on a new headphone for the Sansa Clip +, galaxy s2, but mostly to the laptop at home.
No in-ear, full-size headphone, doesnt matter closed or open
Preferably, easy to run, cuz i will not buy a dac / amp for a while.
a plus if you can detach the cable like dr.dre beats.

Listening for the most part on Asian music , so pop, ballads, soft rock, rap?: P

price is max 200 usd

i want to buy the  Audio-Technica M50

but is there any other in same price range or cheaper that is on par with the M50 sound quality? or close to, with Detachable cable or more comfortable for your head?

See if you can find the Shure SRH840s for a good price, they have a detachable cable and are in the same league generally as the M50s. For open, maybe check out the Senn HD558 and Audio-technica AD700.

Quote:
So I'm down to the ATH-M50 and the Ultrasone HFI-780 (cheaper than the 580 on amazon currently.) As the M50's are cheaper, I may choose them because of that. The deciding factor is if the Ultrasones are better when amped than when the M50's are. I've got a 200w Kenwood speaker amp from 1987 that I'm using currently and am assuming that it works better than just the headphone jack out of the PC (in my experiences it is.) So if anyone can give me a hand with this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I can't really answer your question that specifically. At this point, you'd probably be better off going to a dedicated ultrasone thread to ask about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back