++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #11,131 of 29,490

Quote:
All Beyerdynamic DT770s need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to bring out their best.
Do you have a headphone amplifier?

For headphones in your budget, KRK KNS 8400.

I picked up a Xonar DG -  I found a a new DT770 for $160.  Jumped on it.  I just got them today; and compared to the old JVC headphones I had these provide an awesome rich sound.. Love them.

On the fence on if I like listening to audio in Hi-fi or in Dolby mode..  But just love them.  Listen to a Jazz track and the trumpet solo's on the JVC sounded harsh/shrill, and you could barely make out the bass - now on these.. everything seems smooth including the trumpet hitting the high notes - meanwhile you can clearly hear the bass rift line running under the rest of the band.

totally thrilled.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #11,132 of 29,490
Hello all,

Long time lurker looking to buy his first set of real cans. I've done a good amount of research, but I thought as might as well post in this thread as long as it exists.

I work very long hours in a loud and busy office, so I'm looking for a solid pair of headphones that will be comfortable day in and day out, with little leakage, and good isolation. 

It's mostly going to be used with my work thinkpad, which does not have a sound card. I love music, and while I have a lot of lossless and such at home, on my work pc it's going to be much more spotify. I listen to a lot of hip hop, electronic, rock, indie, punk, folk, blues, reggae, jazz and pop, pretty much in that order - a wide spectrum I admit. I also need to be able to watch videos, often footage from hand held cameras, for my job. 

I'm looking to spend under $250. It seems like the ath m50 or the fischer fa003 or the HD 25 might fill the bill as a sort of jack of all trades headphone. I don't own an amp however, and if I get one, it'll likely be a cheap portable one. Maybe nice headphones are overkill given the system I'm working with however.

Is there a good pair I'm miss? And, remember, I haven't owned a nice pair of headphones in years, so I recognize most anything is going to be a big step up. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #11,133 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all,

Long time lurker looking to buy his first set of real cans. I've done a good amount of research, but I thought as might as well post in this thread as long as it exists.

I work very long hours in a loud and busy office, so I'm looking for a solid pair of headphones that will be comfortable day in and day out, with little leakage, and good isolation. 

It's mostly going to be used with my work thinkpad, which does not have a sound card. I love music, and while I have a lot of lossless and such at home, on my work pc it's going to be much more spotify. I listen to a lot of hip hop, electronic, rock, indie, punk, folk, blues, reggae, jazz and pop, pretty much in that order - a wide spectrum I admit. I also need to be able to watch videos, often footage from hand held cameras, for my job. 

I'm looking to spend under $250. It seems like the ath m50 or the fischer fa003 or the HD 25 might fill the bill as a sort of jack of all trades headphone. I don't own an amp however, and if I get one, it'll likely be a cheap portable one. Maybe nice headphones are overkill given the system I'm working with however.

Is there a good pair I'm miss? And, remember, I haven't owned a nice pair of headphones in years, so I recognize most anything is going to be a big step up. 

All three of those should fit the bill nicely.  The only others I can think of off the top of my head that might also work are the Shure SRH-840 and maybe the V-Moda M80 or LP2.  The styling on the latter two is a tad "loud" for a professional office environment though.

The nice thing about all of these is that they don't need much, if anything, in the way of amplification.  Something along the lines of the Fiio E7 or E10 would be more than enough, or really any of the portable USB DAC/amp solutions in the $60-$120 range.  I would recommend getting something with a USB DAC since the soundcard in your laptop probably isn't the greatest, and many of these headphones will magnify any flaws such as hissing and static from the headphone jack.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #11,134 of 29,490

All three of those should fit the bill nicely.  The only others I can think of off the top of my head that might also work are the Shure SRH-840 and maybe the V-Moda M80 or LP2.  The styling on the latter two is a tad "loud" for a professional office environment though.

Thanks for the advice! I'll go ahead and see what the internet shopping gods tell me is the best way forward. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #11,135 of 29,490

Hi guys.

I am selling my current Sennheiser HD448 headphones and looking to upgrade to something a little more high end. I use my headphones daily to listen to music, as my house is quite small and my parents don't like me listening to music very loud through my denon mini hi-fi. My set up is based around my laptop with my music collection in 320kbps MP3 or FLAC. I have a FiiO E10 DAC on the way to replace my fairly crappy creative external sound card I am currently using.

Basically I have a budget of up to £200 at the very maximum but under £150 would be ideal, and want to make a large enough jump up from the HD448's so that I am not looking at upgrading any time soon. I was initially tempted by the AKG 701/702's due to their excellent looks and the fact that on amazon.co.uk they are both for sale for £199.99 despite their £400+ rrp. I have read pretty much all their is about the headphones mentioned over the past 2 days and I seem more confused now than when I started. I'm not really a hi-fi audiophile nut, but I do care about the quality of my music. My main listening tastes are modern indie/folk music and a lot of accoustic/guitar singer songwriter stuff, for example Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, Laura Marling, Noah and the Whale, Ben Howard, Florence and the Machine ......to name a few.

After reading up on the K701/702's I was put off by the fact that they may just be TOO MUCH headphone for a casual listener like me, and that they will just be too analytical for my listening habits, perhaps more suited to proffesional studio mixing. Since deciding this I've read countless 'Best headphones...' and headphone comparisons online and the AKG K721 MKII's have stood out as being more suited to my tastes, the fact that they are available for £111 delivered is a bonus! But i'm worried these might not quite be a big enough step up from the 448's, although they do retail for much more than this....

The Sennheiser HD598's have also caught my eye (again initially due to their unique looks haha). From reading the reviews these seem like they will be a good upgrade but at closer to £170 are these going to be that much better than the K721 MK II's?

I'm after any thoughts at all on my situation that can help my confusion as I just seem to be endlessly reading reviews and forums and getting nowhere at all!

Thanks for any kind help I may recieve in helping me decide. My 448's are on ebay so I need to decide soon so that i've got something to replace them with once they are gone!

Jonny.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #11,137 of 29,490

Hi,

I am looking for some over ear headphones, that cost no more than £130 (note- English currency)! This included the price of an amp (if I would need one- please recommend!). 

I would really like them to be portable (folding/lightweight) and look good! However, I am willing to sacrifice both of these for sound. 

I like listening to hip hop, RnB, pop, a little rock and dubstep.

My source is an ipod touch 3rd gen. 

I am looking for a set of headphones that have amazing sound quality but also bring the music to life and make it incredibly enjoyable to listen to- for example I listened to the srh840's and although they had great sound quality, there was little life in the music in my opinion, it was just for analytical listening (I know that is their intended purpose). I would also like great bass- so you can actually feel the vibration!

Any other questions please ask :) 

Thanks in advance :)

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #11,138 of 29,490

hi guys, 

looking for a full size headphones with a flat response and high levels of detail. currently i have ultrasone 780s but the V shaped sound is bugging me. i also have hifimann RE0s which i really like, but the bass is just a bit lacking.

ive been considering the DT880 600ohm, would my iBasso D10 be able to run these? 

also, how do the Shure SH940 compare to the DT880? 

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #11,139 of 29,490

Can someone help me?  I keep getting torn between options.  Currently I'm thinking Grado 325is or Beyer DT880 600ohm (or the DT990?) with a NuForce Icon uDAC-2, or the iBasso D7?  Honestly when it comes to the amp/dac I'm just plain confused and there are too many unanswered questions in that part of the forums...

Music genres: 50% rock/metal, 30% full orchestra (soundtrack music, not stage recordings), 20% trance
Portable: No, only at the computer (plugged into a MacBook Pro)
Price range: With an amp/dac around $500, but I'm open. 
Amped: Yes.
Closed/Open: I'm a software developer, will be using at my cube.  The floor isn't very quiet and my cube neighbors usually listen to music (though not always).  I typically listen with my computer volume around 35% but sometimes I'll turn it up a bit.  If the sound leakage at that volume won't distract people then I prefer open because it will be easier to hear people trying to get ahold of me.  I'm open to suggestions though.
Headphone preference: I don't typically wear my headphones the entire workday, but I want it to be an option so if I must I would sacrifice some SQ for comfort.

Thank you!

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11,141 of 29,490
Coming from the DT880s myself, I felt they sucked the life out of some recordings, particularly rock.  So, I can't recommend them to you for rock.

As far as a DAC goes, you really can't beat the HRT Music Streamer for the price.  You really can't.  At $150, it hangs in there with DACs costing many times more.

To get in your price range, things become a little more tricky.  That means you have $350 for both an amp and headphones.  Compromises need to be made.  One such compromise is the Schiit Asgard and Sony MDR-V6 headphones.  Maybe not the best option, but you can get all three components here for $500, and they'll work fine.

Quote:

Can someone help me?  I keep getting torn between options.  Currently I'm thinking Grado 325is or Beyer DT880 600ohm (or the DT990?) with a NuForce Icon uDAC-2, or the iBasso D7?  Honestly when it comes to the amp/dac I'm just plain confused and there are too many unanswered questions in that part of the forums...

Music genres: 50% rock/metal, 30% full orchestra (soundtrack music, not stage recordings), 20% techno
Portable: No, only at the computer (plugged into a MacBook Pro)
Price range: With an amp/dac around $500, but I'm open. 
Amped: Yes.
Closed/Open: I'm a software developer, will be using at my cube.  The floor isn't very quiet and my cube neighbors usually listen to music (though not always).  I typically listen with my computer volume around 35% but sometimes I'll turn it up a bit.  If the sound leakage at that volume won't distract people then I prefer open because it will be easier to hear people trying to get ahold of me.  I'm open to suggestions though.
Headphone preference: I don't typically wear my headphones the entire workday, but I want it to be an option so if I must I would sacrifice some SQ for comfort.

Thank you!

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #11,142 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on new headphones.

I listen to mostly prog Rock (Yes, Rush, King Crimson) and some pop.

The headphones that I have been looking into are:

AKG Q701    $360
BeyerDynamic DT990  $399
Grado PS500  $535
Sennheiser HD600  $425
Sennheiser HD650   $550

Unfortunately, there isn't a headphone shop where I live that I can test these out.

My budget is around $500.  I don't know my terminology too well but what I would like to have is clear separation (distinct instrument separation) and good decay ie. after a cymbal is hit you hear the slow decay of the ringing of the cymbal.

Any input would be appreciated.....Thanks!

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #11,143 of 29,490
I have both the DT990s and HD600s.  Overall, I feel the HD600s are better for progrock.  The DT990s are good for metal and other types of hard hitting rock.  In general, the DT990s have a slightly recessed midrange, as in a V-shape eq curve.  This is fine for metal and the harder hitting rock, but not exactly the best for progrock.  I feel the HD600s have a better midrange than the DT990s.  Also, the HD600s have slightly better imaging and sound staging, which are important for progrock.  The HD600s are extremely neutral and sound great to me.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on new headphones.

I listen to mostly prog Rock (Yes, Rush, King Crimson) and some pop.

The headphones that I have been looking into are:

AKG Q701    $360
BeyerDynamic DT990  $399
Grado PS500  $535
Sennheiser HD600  $425
Sennheiser HD650   $550

Unfortunately, there isn't a headphone shop where I live that I can test these out.

My budget is around $500.  I don't know my terminology too well but what I would like to have is clear separation (distinct instrument separation) and good decay ie. after a cymbal is hit you hear the slow decay of the ringing of the cymbal.

Any input would be appreciated.....Thanks!

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #11,144 of 29,490
My IDEAL headphone would be one that has 1 detachable cable, is comfortable has good bass, and can't be heard by everyone in the room but are noot by any means quiet when I wear them, Such a headphone could never exist lol, so all I want is good bass and for nobody in the room to complaining about my headphones being too loud !

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #11,145 of 29,490
Beyerdynamic DT770s would be a good choice to look at first. 

Quote:
My IDEAL headphone would be one that has 1 detachable cable, is comfortable has good bass, and can't be heard by everyone in the room but are noot by any means quiet when I wear them, Such a headphone could never exist lol, so all I want is good bass and for nobody in the room to complaining about my headphones being too loud !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back