++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #11,116 of 29,490

Quote:
The DT1350s and the M50s might not be for your preferred sound signature, as both have a bit of treble emphasis that may seem fatiguing if you like your A151s. The MS400s are warmer, and may suit you better, and I would also recommend looking into the B&W P5s (Though they are a little pricey). The P5s are priced a little high, but they make up for it in usability, with very good isolation and comfort (esp. given they're on-ear), portability, and a nice warm sound signature. 

Also, the 598s and K701s are open (though you probably know that), and will leak sound. Also, the K701s will definitely need the E17 or something similar to amp them for portable use. From what I've heard at least, the 598s might give you more the sound you're looking for, and aren't quite as amp-dependent as the K701s.

I forgot to add I also managed to give the P5's a try out for about 5 minutes as well. It was quite short but my initial impression was it was just too muffled sounding and not where I wanted it. I was only able to listen for about 5 minutes though, so it isn't entirely fair to pass total judgement against it. I definitely agree with that they isolate very well and are very comfortable. The price was a bit of a negative though as you said. It isn't much more than say a 598 or a K701 but I get an impression I'd get more of my moneys worth from those or even some others. I've been reading more reviews of headphones and I've come across another pair that I was thinking might be to my liking which are the Denon DN-HP700. I might just get a cheaper portable for when I'm on the go as I still have reservations of it might be too open for others even though I've asked with the Grados when I had them and people didn't notice them, and then have the open for home. I already know I'm not going to stop at one pair of headphones by any sort...
dt880smile.png

I did notice in the review it says if you are sensitive to the treble to beware, but from what I read it doesn't give me the impression it would be as bad as say the Grados in terms of brightness or fatigue. Something will have to give somewhere and I'll just have to go with a pair.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #11,117 of 29,490
To buy or not to buy...

A guy I know is over a financial barrel and selling his Denon AH-D7000/Hi-Fi Man EF2 setup for $400. He says they're both in excellent condition, the Denons have a couple tiny scuffs but nothing too noticeable. Good deal, yay or nay? I doubt I'll be able to sit and listen to them for very long while I'm there, but from what I've read they sound like the type of cans that I go for. Got to let him know very soon.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #11,118 of 29,490

Quote:
To buy or not to buy...
A guy I know is over a financial barrel and selling his Denon AH-D7000/Hi-Fi Man EF2 setup for $400. He says they're both in excellent condition, the Denons have a couple tiny scuffs but nothing too noticeable. Good deal, yay or nay? I doubt I'll be able to sit and listen to them for very long while I'm there, but from what I've read they sound like the type of cans that I go for. Got to let him know very soon.

Phenomenal deal!  You can't even get an open-box/refurbished D5000 for that price, let alone a D7000 and a pretty good little DAC/amp.  If you think you'd like it, get it by all means.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #11,119 of 29,490

Originally Posted by leobigfield 

Hi guys!

I'm looking for something around U$200 (U$300 maximum if the difference is more than slightly)   to use at home so don't matter if it´s portable or full size, closed or open, i just don't want an IEM (i already own an Ortofon e-q5). Basically will use for music/non-competitive gaming/movies in this order. 

I really like how my e-q5 do the things but i think they have some faults to my tastes so i would like something that could fulfill these requirements:

Tight deep bass like my e-q5 but more emphasized (no one-note bass here, please :)  )
Mids at the same level as my e-q5 (give or take a little, of course :)  )
Better sound stage (ok, i know that's quite easy since IEM's are quite claustrophobic)
- Crystal Clear, smooth, non-fatiguing treble (could be slightly more emphasized, but not a must)

My actual Amp is a Fiio E6 but in the next month i will buy a E17 for the DAC/AMP department. 

I know that they are very different (portable/full size versus IEM) but i know you guys understand what i mean sound quality wise.

By far, i'm considering these (well, basically the standards):

DT1350, HD-25-1-II, HD598, D2000 (if i can find them under U$300), DT860, ATH-M50

The one that i think to come closer to what i want is the DT1350, but i´m not shure. So, what do you think guys? Also, i accept web-based store recommendation within the USA. 

Thanks guys!

PS.: Please forgive my English, it's not my native language.   

Quote:
If you're only going to be using them at home, I think the HD598s will give you the most of what you want, especially in terms of soundstage over the DT1350s, which also might have a too-prominent treble.

Thanks 50an6xy06r6n! But Reading some reviews i saw that some people have some issues with the build quality from HD598/558 (the cup starts to crack). Also, i forgot to say that i listen most to Rock/Metal/Progressive/Orchestral (like movie's OST).

Sorry for the edit, my mistake on the copy/paste lol 

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #11,120 of 29,490

Newbie wanting some advice here thanks :) Looking for a nice pair of headphones.
I have already posted here and someone said i should go for the Ultrasone HFI-780's. I checked them out and they look pretty good I just want another opinion before I purchase also are those headphones comfortable I've heard they clamp down on your head. If there are any other headphones you suggest please let me know thanks.

Music genres:  Mostly Dubstep and pretty much most electronic music like trance, house etc but i do enjoy the occasional hip hop/pop. So i would like them to have a great low end/bass but without sacrificing the mids and highs.
Portable: Needs to be fairly portable as i will not only be using them at home but also when i travel on Bus, plane etc.
Price range: $200 max
Closed/Open: closed
Headphone preference: id like something that looks decent but most importantly sounds great. I will only be using through my Iphone 4S and imac Computer. Also i would like good noise isolation for those loud traveling environments and as little sound leakage as possible.

thanks in advance
dubstepman

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #11,121 of 29,490

Phenomenal deal!  You can't even get an open-box/refurbished D5000 for that price, let alone a D7000 and a pretty good little DAC/amp.  If you think you'd like it, get it by all means.

After posting that I went right over and bought them. I felt sorry for the guy, he's about to lose his car if he doesn't make a payment tomorrow, so I gave him $460 for both. From what I've seen it's still pretty low-ball, but I have to eat too. I listened to the HPs and the amp there and they sound jaw-droppingly incredible. I sampled some Clapton, tool, and Billy Joel. The punchy bass ran right down my spine, not too much, just perfect. Such rich, lush, amazing tone and the soundstage is wider than any closed cans I've ever heard before. All that plus warm detail. Oh, and the scuffs? You can see them if you look closely, but they don't bother me. Since they're on wood maybe they just add character? heh. Neat amp too, never owned a tube before.

I was going to stick to $400, but after listening I decided to give him another 60, the guilt was eating at me. I'm such a wuss. :rolleyes: Ugh, I'm gonna be up all night listening to my favorites. That's what I'm doing right now, with a stupid grin on my face. New D7000 fan here, damn. :darthsmile:

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #11,122 of 29,490

Quote:

The FA-003's look pretty sweet. Thanks for the reply!
I will be using them pretty much exclusively at home. I'd like the ability to take them out, but I'll just keep using my cheapo earbuds for that I guess. I thought that Grado's were on ear, am I mistaken? Thank you!

Sorry, I forgot about the over-ear part, yeah, they are on-ear for the most part. However, you can get separate bowl pads that make them circumaural if you're still interested. The FA-003s have a good reputation, but are more neutral cans, which is always good, but may not get you the fun sound you may want out of your music. Just FYI, if that makes a difference to you.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to address amping but if it helps, i don't plan to and I would probably only ever get a small Fiio e6 to use on the go if anything. So, having ruled out the open-cans from initial list. I'm looking at either the SRH440, Senn H448, Koss PRODJ 100 (all $80ish at the moment) and maybe Creative Aurvana Live if price drops. Build/comfort wise, can someone chime in on which of these might be best? I wear glasses so comfort will also be a factor if I want to use the cans for 2+ hours... I've seen posts that mention HD448 are a bit flimsy whereas the SRH440/PRODJ 100 have better build quality.

With your choices, amping (especially with a wimpy E6) probably won't do much for you. I've heard the CALs are quite comfortable, and you have to watch prices carefully, as they've fallen to $60 twice in the last week. Durability-wise, the Koss ones look good, as they're all-metal, but I can't give you much beyond that. 

Quote:
Hello. I am back to looking for a new pair of headphones since my 4 year old bose (was a n00b then) recently died. I am looking for a more mobile pair of around ear or on ear headphones for my ipod/phone. Since most of the time i will be using them on the bus or at school i would prefer something closed or open/semi open with good sound isolation and little sound leakage. I generally listen to electronic music and would prefer a decent amount of bass, however i do not need it to be overpowering, just not lacking. Comfort is also a must. My budget is $200 for headphones and if needed, an amp/LOD. The ones i have been looking at so far are the ATH-M50(s), SR225i, SRH840, DT990PRO (On sale for $178) and the ATH-PRO700MK2 (open for any other suggestions). For the most part the reviews on all of them have been good, but seem to go in circles when it comes to which one is better than the other/the better buy. I currently have a pair of AD700's for my PC and love them, and with that im leaning towards one of the audio technicas. But i will be willing to spend the extra money and go for the SR225i or DT990PRO with an amp if the sound quality is really that much better for the money.

Thanks

First off, fyi, Grados are very open, so you should probably rule them out for your purposes. For electronic music, the PRO700s are supposed to be very bassy, but if you don't want too much that could be an issue. I don't know a whole lot about the Beyers other than they're pretty bulky and so probably won't be ideal for carrying around. The M50s and the Shures are DJ-style cans though, so they will fold up into a nice compact package, and neither leak at all. If you want something even more portable look into the Sennheiser HD25s or the V-moda M80s. None of those will need an amp.

Quote:
I forgot to add I also managed to give the P5's a try out for about 5 minutes as well. It was quite short but my initial impression was it was just too muffled sounding and not where I wanted it. I was only able to listen for about 5 minutes though, so it isn't entirely fair to pass total judgement against it. I definitely agree with that they isolate very well and are very comfortable. The price was a bit of a negative though as you said. It isn't much more than say a 598 or a K701 but I get an impression I'd get more of my moneys worth from those or even some others. I've been reading more reviews of headphones and I've come across another pair that I was thinking might be to my liking which are the Denon DN-HP700. I might just get a cheaper portable for when I'm on the go as I still have reservations of it might be too open for others even though I've asked with the Grados when I had them and people didn't notice them, and then have the open for home. I already know I'm not going to stop at one pair of headphones by any sort...
dt880smile.png

I did notice in the review it says if you are sensitive to the treble to beware, but from what I read it doesn't give me the impression it would be as bad as say the Grados in terms of brightness or fatigue. Something will have to give somewhere and I'll just have to go with a pair.

If you don't like the P5 sound signature, then I guess they're not for you. At least for portable use, I don't think the 598s or K701 will work, but they will make excellent at-home headphones. This is just my personal suggestion, but I would either get one nice closed DJ-type pair for dual use, or get an open pair for home use and a nice portable for dedicated on the go use. That is, if money's not an issue, since the second option will definitely be more expensive. Have a fun journey! 
k701smile.gif

Quote:

Thanks 50an6xy06r6n! But Reading some reviews i saw that some people have some issues with the build quality from HD598/558 (the cup starts to crack). Also, i forgot to  mension that i rear i

From what I've read, the cracks are pretty minor and purely cosmetic, and don't quote me on this, but I remember hearing somewhere that they fixed that recently.

Quote:

Newbie wanting some advice here thanks :) Looking for a nice pair of headphones.
I have already posted here and someone said i should go for the Ultrasone HFI-780's. I checked them out and they look pretty good I just want another opinion before I purchase also are those headphones comfortable I've heard they clamp down on your head. If there are any other headphones you suggest please let me know thanks.

Music genres:  Mostly Dubstep and pretty much most electronic music like trance, house etc but i do enjoy the occasional hip hop/pop. So i would like them to have a great low end/bass but without sacrificing the mids and highs.
Portable: Needs to be fairly portable as i will not only be using them at home but also when i travel on Bus, plane etc.
Price range: $200 max
Closed/Open: closed
Headphone preference: id like something that looks decent but most importantly sounds great. I will only be using through my Iphone 4S and imac Computer. Also i would like good noise isolation for those loud traveling environments and as little sound leakage as possible.

thanks in advance
dubstepman

Since you look like you'll be wanting a nice bass thump, I'd say the ultrasones would fit nicely.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #11,125 of 29,490

Originally Posted by leobigfield 

Thanks 50an6xy06r6n! But Reading some reviews i saw that some people have some issues with the build quality from HD598/558 (the cup starts to crack). Also, i forgot to say that i listen most to Rock/Metal/Progressive/Orchestral (like movie's OST).

Sorry for the edit, my mistake on the copy/paste lol 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, the cracks are pretty minor and purely cosmetic, and don't quote me on this, but I remember hearing somewhere that they fixed that recently.

Thanks again! But after reading some reviews, the Shure SRH-940 came to my attention. Do you have any information about it? People said that they are better than the HD598 and had a sound signature very very similar to the HD800. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #11,126 of 29,490
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to complement my Atrio M5's with Comply Tips that I've had for a while.  I'm mainly looking for some to travel with so want good isolation, ideally little to no leakage and a sound signature simliar to the Atrio's.  I mainly listen to rock/metal and also watch films on an iPad with music from an iPhone 4s.  

I've tried the bose QC15's and thought they sounded ok, and one of my friends has the Beats Studio but disliked the sound of them as they sounded muddy.  So any suggestions would be welcome and I'm looking for some around the £150 or so price point.

Thanks

Steve

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #11,128 of 29,490
[size=medium]Hey,[/size]
[size=medium]I am looking for an open set of “around big ears” headphones . I have a pair of Senn PXC 450’s that fit absolutely great over my big ears. They have an inside cushion diameter of 2 ¾ x 1 ½ oval.  The sound fairly good but require batteries and are my work headphones. I want to have a pair of dedicated at home headphones with excellent tonal reproduction across the frequency range.[/size]

[size=medium]I am normally using a Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Titanium (not the HD) and 320 bit rate MP3s. The portable rig is a Touch 4 with a Fiio E7. This points me to 200 to 300 ohm versions of headphones since I am not using FLAC files or a high end amp & do not intend to any time soon.[/size]

[size=medium]As for preferences, Music comes in two versions for me. The music that I listen to while doing other things and music that I stop everything else I am doing so I can really listen. The former group includes Rock, Pop, Punk, Metal… Three cords and a bridge like ZZ Top, Tool, LZ, Stones…  Don’t get me wrong here, I love three cords and a bridge and I listened to a lot of it in the last 50+ years. The latter includes Jazz, Classical, Progressive, and Opera. At work where I use the 450’s or a pair of Klipsch S4i’s the former group is more to my liking. While at home the quiet enjoyment of the textured and detailed music of the latter is enjoyable.  [/size]
[size=medium]For these reasons I was looking at the HD650. They are Senn’s and the ear cup is oval and “appears” to be the same size as the PXC 450. Two things have led me toward a different model. The $$$ price on the HD650 is $480 and the reviews I have read describe it as veiled. Frequency response seems to drop off in the high end. [/size]

[size=medium]Looking at the Graphs on Headroom and other sites I “discovered” the Beyerdynamic DT990 and DT880. At first I thought that the DT990 was the one I would like best, but after reviewing some of the charts and comments I am leaning more toward the DT880. [/size]
[size=medium]At Amazon there are two versions of the DT880 [/size][size=medium]DT880 Premium[/size][size=medium] at $309 and the [/size][size=medium]DT880 Pro[/size][size=medium] at $238. I have read a lot about the clamping pressure differences and that there are different model years. Can anyone speak to these two versions and why there is a $70 delta? [/size]
[size=medium]My apologies for making sense.[/size]

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #11,129 of 29,490
50an6xy06r6n
Sorry, I forgot about the over-ear part, yeah, they are on-ear for the most part. However, you can get separate bowl pads that make them circumaural if you're still interested. The FA-003s have a good reputation, but are more neutral cans, which is always good, but may not get you the fun sound you may want out of your music. Just FYI, if that makes a difference to you.
I am looking for more of a fun sound. I want them to have good bass response, but I want new headphones mostly for clarity, not neccessarily accuracy, if that makes sense.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #11,130 of 29,490
Hi there I am new to the headphone scene and wanted to start out with a cheap pair of headphones but ones that i can still expect a lot of difference between the rubbish ipod type of headphones i use at the moment, i've done some research and seen alot on Superlux producing amazing headphones but at cheap prices, what i was wondering was which model do you think is best i.e. the hd661, hd681 hd668b, or any others you know of. Also a quick side question do you think it is worth buying a small portable cmoy amp for my iphone. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back