++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #10,921 of 29,490
Please Answer Me Fast ... I Have Will Ordere Creative Aurvana Live Today ,,,, Should l Cancel It And Wait A little Bit And Save Up To Buy Sennheiser HD518 ,,, I Will Use It For Symphonic Metal / HD Movies / Doom Metal ,,, People Say That The Creative Is Very Good ,,, And HD518 Is A Lot More Expensive For Me ,,, But IF There's A Big Differnce i I'll Wait ,,, I Need Ur Opinions Today To See If I Will Cancel My Order ,,, Thanks

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #10,922 of 29,490

Quote:
Please Answer Me Fast ... I Have Will Ordere Creative Aurvana Live Today ,,,, Should l Cancel It And Wait A little Bit And Save Up To Buy Sennheiser HD518 ,,, I Will Use It For Symphonic Metal / HD Movies / Doom Metal ,,, People Say That The Creative Is Very Good ,,, And HD518 Is A Lot More Expensive For Me ,,, But IF There's A Big Differnce i I'll Wait ,,, I Need Ur Opinions Today To See If I Will Cancel My Order ,,, Thanks

I have a pair of CALs and i love them. I would often switch between my Beyer DT660s and these. I prefere the CALs tbh. You wont be dissapointed.

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #10,923 of 29,490
I recently got the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO's with a NuForce uDAC 2, i absolutely loving this combination. 

If anyones thinking of spending about 250 EUR on headphones & dac(usb) I'd truly recommend looking into this.

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #10,924 of 29,490

Quote:
I see in your sig you have both the DT990 and the DT770 (granted they are the 600 ohms version rather than 80). If you don't mind can you please comment on the soundstage and musical seperation of both and which one you think is better?

I have the J$ pads on the DT770, so that messes up comparisons.  Also, the 600 Ohm DT770 is more different from the lower impedance models than the DT990.

That caveat aside, the 990 definitely sounds more open and has a wider sound stage.  It also makes a big difference in the bass.  The DT990 has this great, subwooferish bass, and the DT770 (while good) sounds more sealed in the bass.  They are both great headphones in different situations.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #10,925 of 29,490

Quote:

I am looking for a new pair of headphones and a dac/amp to use with my Toshiba laptop

Type of music: Jam Bands, Classic Rock, Norah Jones, etc...
Budget: 500 for both headhones and amp/dac
Durability: headphones need to last at least 2 years
I was looking into Grados but I didn't know if they would fit my genre of music.
I also read the cords need replaced from everyday use after a couple months.
NO products that are made in China
and I have no idea on a dac/amp

Any advice would be helpful....

Thanks,

-Elliott

Grado's are a lot of fun, but I don't personally care for their in your face, sometimes a bit grating sound after extended listening.  I also really dislike the cords and the general build-quality of them (this means they have essentially no durability if they are packed up and moved with any frequency).  They do have legions of fans, however, so don't write them off completely.

You don't mention open or closed, but I would not suggest open cans for anywhere other than home listening, as they a) allow so much sound in as to disturb your listening, and b) allow your music out to the point that it is disturbing to others.

I tend to lean toward the tried-and-true rather than the FOTM here, so I would suggest a set of Sennheiser HD-600's.  As someone said very well here recently, the HD600's are a headphone that every headphone enthusiast should own at some point, both because they are deserved of their reputation, but also because they are perhaps the standard reference point against which almost everything else is judged.  Problems I can see are that they are very open, they require a decent amp, and they are not particularly well suited to traveling (if that turns out to be a concern). 

For an amp for this setup, I was going to suggest the Fiio e7/e9 pairing, which would give you a nice portable DAC/amp, plus the power to drive the 600's at home, all for a nice price, but it is, alas, made in China.  Finding a DAC/amp combo of reasonable design, not made in China, that drives the 600's adequately might be a bit of a challenge at your price point, but I'm sure it's do-able on the used market. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #10,927 of 29,490

Quote:
Take all my advice with a grain of salt, since you seem to have a lot more audio experience than I do, but I don't think you'll like the Grados. They're known to be very polarizing and tend to have harsher highs and a punchy but thinner bass response. out of the ones you list I think the HD650s would suit your needs and preferences best, but I don't know if they'll be driven properly through a PA2V2.

I have heard that the bass on the Grados is thin, so those are out. How about the Denon AH-D2000s? I've heard that they're better for pop/hip hop/more beat style music since they're closed and have a heavier bass end, and I listen to metal/death metal/black metal/indie/folk/jazz/blues/classical (strings mostly)/some electronic.  Would they not suit my needs when compared to the HD650s?

As a last question, what is the character of the sound produced by the HD650s in comparison to the HD598s? Those were the only Sennheisers I've been able to listen to recently and I was very disappointed with them. They lacked any and all warmth, sounded thin, had horrible bass extension (I'm not a bass head, I just NEED even response since I'm used to high end home audio) and were too large and uncomfortable for my head (kinda small head).

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #10,928 of 29,490
Bumping this back up due to lack of response.

Quote:
Looking to make an addition or two to my headphone stable, but I'm having a tough time figuring out which direction I should go.

I currently have the FA-011, HD555, Pro DJ100, and GR07.  Of these, the FA-011 gets the most use by far.  The Pro DJ100 is second, but only because they're my work headphones.  I actually prefer the GR07s to these, but I find them a bit too uncomfortable to wear for 8 hours at work.  The HD555s are probably my third favorite, but since they sit next to the FA-011s, they don't get much head time.  That's not to say I don't like the DJ100s, because I do - it's just that they don't quite stack up against my other phones when put next to each other.

So what am I looking for?  I've been wanting to get some higher-quality closed headphones to round out my collection a bit.  Work is really the only place where I need the isolation though, and I'm not a basshead, so would closed cans just be a waste of my money?  From what I've read, most of the closed headphones in the mid-fi range ($200-300 ish) are described as basshead cans - i.e. DT-770, D2000, M50.  Are there any others I should consider?  I was thinking of the FA-003/HM5/etc, but after talking to a few people, they sound like they just wouldn't have enough differences to set them apart from my other headphones

Since the HD555s aren't getting much listening time, I've been thinking that they could use an upgrade to something that can hold its own against the FA-011.  This would be more of a neutral/relaxed pair.  Something super-comfy for long-term listening.  Some that I was looking at for this purpose are the HD598, HD650, and HE-300, leaning towards the HE-300.  The reason for this is that the HD555 clamps a tad too tightly for my taste and the HE-300 has that nice bendable headband.  I have a small head, but for some reason, the angle and position of the pads on the HD555 causes intense pain behind my ears after a couple hours.  Anything else I should look at?

And finally, I've been thinking about a more powerful amp.  I'm currently using the E10, and I would keep using that as my DAC for now since I like what it does for my headphones, but some of the headphones I've been looking at getting either now or in the future need a bit more oomph than it can provide.  The easy (and cheap) route here would be the E9, but I really like the styling on the Schiit Asgard (and it seems to pair well with a lot of the headphones I own or am looking at getting).  I've also heard good things about the Matrix M-Stage and the Audio-GD offerings.  In other words, I'm pretty lost when it comes to amps.

For the record, I've tried Grados, and their sound signature isn't for me - I guess I prefer dark to neutral sound signatures.  My music tastes are pretty varied, but my library includes a lot of vocals, rock, folk, classical, a bit of metal, and a scattering of pop and electronic.  Budget for each item is ~$200-$300.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #10,929 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all,
            I'm in need of some on or over ear headphones as I never get the opportunity to use my speakers any more (baby in house!). I play mp3s at 320kbps and have an Asus Xonar DS soundcard. 

I listen to mainly Symphonic Metal, Progressive Metal and Stoner Rock.

Listening wise the only things I really object to is muddy lows and (I don't know the technical term) but highs that seem to make my ear drums hurt after prolonged listening.

I use CX 300 in ear buds with my MP3 player which I enjoy. I have also used Koss Porta Pros, but I find the low end to muddy.

Price, less is better, around the £40 mark would be good, although less is better I could go higher if I was gaining a lot for the extra cash.

Have read lots of reviews, I think too many, because now I'm just confused!

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Any advice anyone? I was thinking Sennheisers, either HD 419 or HD 238. Sound leakage is not a problem, some advice would be really appreciated, hoping to make a purchase asap. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #10,930 of 29,490
Best In-ear Buds around 100 bucks that deliver balanced sound for Moody Blues, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Jazz, and other smoother type of rock records.

Not bass heavy, but not lacking bass. I was thinking Etymoic MC5's, but am open to other options. I used to have Shure Se215(maybe??)...one of the discontinued shures.

Open to a point into a thread with good discussion.

THanks

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #10,931 of 29,490
The MC5s are very sterile.  Not all that great for music IMO.

Quote:
Best In-ear Buds around 100 bucks that deliver balanced sound for Moody Blues, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Jazz, and other smoother type of rock records.

Not bass heavy, but not lacking bass. I was thinking Etymoic MC5's, but am open to other options. I used to have Shure Se215(maybe??)...one of the discontinued shures.

THanks

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #10,932 of 29,490

Quote:

THanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573858/the-neutral-balanced-thread

Etymotics have the reputation of being hyper-detailed, which can be good or bad, depending on the quality of your recordings and rips (if you use digital format).  As the previous poster said, they can be a bit sterile, which is great for critical listening, but can make it difficult to relax and get into the music.

I've heard good things about the RE-0/RE-ZERO, which also have a strong reputation for detail and neutrality, but tend to be a bit more musical than the Etymotics.  Personally, I like the VSonic GR07, but they're a bit out of your price range (~$160).  They sound nice with Pink Floyd and the Moody Blues - detailed and balanced, but with a bit more body to the bass than the average "balanced" headphones, which tend to be rather thin on the bottom end.  Very clear, clean sound.

EDIT: If you liked your old Shures, the SE215 is still around, afaik.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #10,933 of 29,490
Hi guys,

It's been months and looks like I'm finally at the end of searching for the perfect headphones for me. Well, I'm closer to get D1100's, but at some comments in different threads, I've seen the SRH-750 DJ is also recommended for those who are thinking about buying D1100's. I read that the bass of D1100 is a bit overpowering and also it can be fixed with EQ. What about SRH-750 DJ ? And the other question is the ear cushions. They look wide but vertically not so long. D1100 got no problem at this.

Waiting for your help.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #10,934 of 29,490
Hello there!

I need some help with choosing new headphones... Recently my AKG k430 broke down, and I decided to replace it with an AKG k450. To my surprise, the sound did not meet my expectations - I am not an audio expert, but my impression was that the basses were considerably louder and drowned out the mid-range and high tones. It also seemed like the instrument separation wasn't as good as in the k430. I tried using EQ to lower the basses, but I still didn't like the sound.

Down to the point, I am looking to buy new headphones, preferably closed or semi-open in the price range of $80-110. My choice of  music is mostly instrumental genres (classical, soundtrack) and ambient. I am mostly looking for defined mid-ranges with detail and good instrument separation. I do like bass, but I do not like it to be excessive or over-amplified. All in all, I think I am just searching for something which is pretty neutral and balanced. One thing I am also looking for is a replaceable cable, if that is possible.

Also, I have another question. I am quite inexperienced with full-size headphones and have avoided purchasing them in the past due to their weight and size. Most people, though, describe them as being very comfortable, so I was wondering if the weight can cause any problems. Can they weight down on the ears and cause discomfort?

I would really appreciate a quick response, since I have to have a decision ready by tomorrow! I realize that my specifications might not fall in my price range very well, so please don't hold back on suggesting something more expensive - any advice would be helpful. 

Thanks in advance!
[size=7pt][/size]

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #10,935 of 29,490
Hey guys :)

Looking for a set of headphones to replace my Sennheiser PMX60s that a broke when i slept on them (was listening to TWIT and fell asleep lol)

Budget is £50 ideally

Loved the neckband on the pmx, and the bass was pretty good but it was quite muffled at normal listening volumes in the mids and highs, would prefer a neckband but if they're all awful then i don't mind having full size, as i use iem's when I'm out and at the gym anyway

Looking at the iGrados, PMX60II, Denon AH-D510, Grado SR60/80 secondhand and anything else you recommend 

I listen to Hip Hop, Dubstep, Pop and some Drum and Bass

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back