++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #10,816 of 29,490
[size=medium]Hello to all.  I want to introduce myself and ask the all important question of recommendations from seasoned head-fiers.  Since this is the thread dedicated to it I'm posting here, although I might suggest closing it and opening another as 720 plus pages is too burdensome.  I’ve used the search extensively to gain information and greatly appreciate the posts, reviews, suggestions, etc. about particular items I’m interested in that posters have given on this board.[/size]

[size=medium]First, I am a long time music lover, amateur musician, and audiophile.  I began collecting as vinyl was declining so I did not pursue analog over the years.  Ergo, perhaps to my detriment, at this time my catalog is purely digital and includes some 4000 CD/SACDs.  I moved from a house with a dedicated and purpose built listening room to one that has a dedicated listening  area that is open and shares the acoustic environment with the whole house.  As such, I see the advantage of a quality headphone system that will allow me to enjoy my music without sharing it with everyone else in the house at any given time of the day (or night).  This will be integrated into my main system.  In other words, I do not need portability and will not be connected to a server, computer or portable audio device.[/size]

[size=medium]As do most music lovers and audiophiles, I enjoy a wide variety of music, but for the purpose of this post, I carefully considered what music styles I would likely listen to most of the time on a headphone system.  I realize that one set up that does everything the best does not exist, but would like to have the one that does everything well.  Regarding budget, I place a high priority on performance and value.  If, to my ears, the $1500 headphones sound far better than the $500 set, I’ll buy the $1500 set.  If they don’t sound that much better and I enjoy the $500 set by all means I’ll buy the $500 set and put the difference in more music.  Historically to me, the law of diminishing returns kicks in earlier on cables than with most other components.  So, I'll try not to set my budget too stringently before I audition so as not to make myself like or dislike something due to their particular price point.  That being said, I am not in the market for the STAX SR009s as I simply can’t afford them and any associated equipment.[/size]

[size=medium]I live in a remote area and I don’t know of any meets anywhere near me.  I do plan to visit a dealer in the future and this is why I’m looking for advice as to which products may be worth auditioning.  Thanks to all in advance.[/size]

[size=medium]Genres: Classical- romantic period to contemporary with concertos, symphonies, some small ensembles and sonatas and Grand Opera. Jazz: Mostly instrumental acoustic.  Rock:  Mostly symphonic metal and progressive metal (e.g. Symphony X, Kamelot, Dream Theater).[/size]

[size=medium]Source: High end CD player analog ICs.[/size]

[size=medium]Budget: See above, but probably in the 2-4k range inclusive of all necessary components like heaphones, amp, cables, upgraded tubes if necessary, etc.[/size]

[size=medium]Portability: Not needed[/size]

[size=medium]Sonic Priorities: Imaging, PRaT, warmth, at least some semblance of low end dynamics[/size]

[size=medium]Tubes/SS:  I have both in my system and am not stuck on one or the other.  [/size]

[size=medium]At this point I’m considering what seem to be the usual suspects: AKG 702, Beyer T1, Senn HD 6xx or 800, Grados and Audez’e.  For amps, pretty much anything that works well and reliably is fine with me.  I’ve been eying the offerings from Burson, Woo, Red Wine, Ray Sammuels and Eddie Current.[/size]

[size=medium]I thank you for your consideration and welcome your experienced thoughts and suggestions.[/size]

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #10,817 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD-598 will do everything fairly better then the HD-555.
Give the HD-598 50 hours of break in before final judgement.
Best price is at Electronics Expo, after adding the HD-598 to your shopping cart, use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
Sometimes it takes a few days to process and ship at Electronics Expo.

thanks for the heads up! I just tried it and that coupon doesn't seem to be valid..

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #10,818 of 29,490
Hi all, first post here and I figure I'll do the obvious thing and ask for some headphone advice
dt880smile.png

So, I'm in the market for some full sized headphones, on-ear or around ear isn't important but comfort is (least amount of discomfort after a few hours of continuous use).

My uses are going to be mainly listening to music at my desk through my laptop (and sometimes iPhone), and occasionally I'll be taking them with me for travelling.

My music collection varies, mostly I stick to classical (mostly piano), and while I'm a metal head I've been known to have the occasional hip-hop/rap/etc binge. My music collection consists of either 320kbps MP3's or  Apple's "lossless" source where I've ripped from a CD.

I would prefer closed-back as I want as little sound leakage as possible. Sound-isolation isn't necessary.

Someone able to point me in the right direction? I'll be happy to go do some independent research too, but having a good starting point would be great. Some of the less...mainstream manufacturers are difficult to track down in stores around me though so testing could prove difficult.

My budget is about £280/$430 MAX.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #10,819 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I just tried it and that coupon doesn't seem to be valid..

Just tested it, worked fine.

Trying going to the Bountii website first, look up "HD 598", there should be a listing for around $168, click on it, it will take you to the Electronics Expo website, add the HD-598 to the shopping cart, then input "BOUNTII" were is asks for coupon code.
Hopefully it will work for you.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #10,820 of 29,490
Looking to make an addition or two to my headphone stable, but I'm having a tough time figuring out which direction I should go.

I currently have the FA-011, HD555, Pro DJ100, and GR07.  Of these, the FA-011 gets the most use by far.  The Pro DJ100 is second, but only because they're my work headphones.  I actually prefer the GR07s to these, but I find them a bit too uncomfortable to wear for 8 hours at work.  The HD555s are probably my third favorite, but since they sit next to the FA-011s, they don't get much head time.  That's not to say I don't like the DJ100s, because I do - it's just that they don't quite stack up against my other phones when put next to each other.

So what am I looking for?  I've been wanting to get some higher-quality closed headphones to round out my collection a bit.  Work is really the only place where I need the isolation though, and I'm not a basshead, so would closed cans just be a waste of my money?  From what I've read, most of the closed headphones in the mid-fi range ($200-300 ish) are described as basshead cans - i.e. DT-770, D2000, M50.  Are there any others I should consider?  I was thinking of the FA-003/HM5/etc, but after talking to a few people, they sound like they just wouldn't have enough differences to set them apart from my other headphones

Since the HD555s aren't getting much listening time, I've been thinking that they could use an upgrade to something that can hold its own against the FA-011.  This would be more of a neutral/relaxed pair.  Something super-comfy for long-term listening.  Some that I was looking at for this purpose are the HD598, HD650, and HE-300, leaning towards the HE-300.  The reason for this is that the HD555 clamps a tad too tightly for my taste and the HE-300 has that nice bendable headband.  I have a small head, but for some reason, the angle and position of the pads on the HD555 causes intense pain behind my ears after a couple hours.  Anything else I should look at?

And finally, I've been thinking about a more powerful amp.  I'm currently using the E10, and I would keep using that as my DAC for now since I like what it does for my headphones, but some of the headphones I've been looking at getting either now or in the future need a bit more oomph than it can provide.  The easy (and cheap) route here would be the E9, but I really like the styling on the Schiit Asgard (and it seems to pair well with a lot of the headphones I own or am looking at getting).  I've also heard good things about the Matrix M-Stage and the Audio-GD offerings.  In other words, I'm pretty lost when it comes to amps.

For the record, I've tried Grados, and their sound signature isn't for me - I guess I prefer dark to neutral sound signatures.  My music tastes are pretty varied, but my library includes a lot of vocals, rock, folk, classical, a bit of metal, and a scattering of pop and electronic.  Budget for each item is ~$200-$300.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #10,821 of 29,490

Quote:
[size=medium]Hello to all.  I want to introduce myself and ask the all important question of recommendations from seasoned head-fiers.  Since this is the thread dedicated to it I'm posting here, although I might suggest closing it and opening another as 720 plus pages is too burdensome.  I’ve used the search extensively to gain information and greatly appreciate the posts, reviews, suggestions, etc. about particular items I’m interested in that posters have given on this board.[/size]

[size=medium]First, I am a long time music lover, amateur musician, and audiophile.  I began collecting as vinyl was declining so I did not pursue analog over the years.  Ergo, perhaps to my detriment, at this time my catalog is purely digital and includes some 4000 CD/SACDs.  I moved from a house with a dedicated and purpose built listening room to one that has a dedicated listening  area that is open and shares the acoustic environment with the whole house.  As such, I see the advantage of a quality headphone system that will allow me to enjoy my music without sharing it with everyone else in the house at any given time of the day (or night).  This will be integrated into my main system.  In other words, I do not need portability and will not be connected to a server, computer or portable audio device.[/size]

[size=medium]As do most music lovers and audiophiles, I enjoy a wide variety of music, but for the purpose of this post, I carefully considered what music styles I would likely listen to most of the time on a headphone system.  I realize that one set up that does everything the best does not exist, but would like to have the one that does everything well.  Regarding budget, I place a high priority on performance and value.  If, to my ears, the $1500 headphones sound far better than the $500 set, I’ll buy the $1500 set.  If they don’t sound that much better and I enjoy the $500 set by all means I’ll buy the $500 set and put the difference in more music.  Historically to me, the law of diminishing returns kicks in earlier on cables than with most other components.  So, I'll try not to set my budget too stringently before I audition so as not to make myself like or dislike something due to their particular price point.  That being said, I am not in the market for the STAX SR009s as I simply can’t afford them and any associated equipment.[/size]

[size=medium]I live in a remote area and I don’t know of any meets anywhere near me.  I do plan to visit a dealer in the future and this is why I’m looking for advice as to which products may be worth auditioning.  Thanks to all in advance.[/size]

[size=medium]Genres: Classical- romantic period to contemporary with concertos, symphonies, some small ensembles and sonatas and Grand Opera. Jazz: Mostly instrumental acoustic.  Rock:  Mostly symphonic metal and progressive metal (e.g. Symphony X, Kamelot, Dream Theater).[/size]

[size=medium]Source: High end CD player analog ICs.[/size]

[size=medium]Budget: See above, but probably in the 2-4k range inclusive of all necessary components like heaphones, amp, cables, upgraded tubes if necessary, etc.[/size]

[size=medium]Portability: Not needed[/size]

[size=medium]Sonic Priorities: Imaging, PRaT, warmth, at least some semblance of low end dynamics[/size]

[size=medium]Tubes/SS:  I have both in my system and am not stuck on one or the other.  [/size]

[size=medium]At this point I’m considering what seem to be the usual suspects: AKG 702, Beyer T1, Senn HD 6xx or 800, Grados and Audez’e.  For amps, pretty much anything that works well and reliably is fine with me.  I’ve been eying the offerings from Burson, Woo, Red Wine, Ray Sammuels and Eddie Current.[/size]

[size=medium]I thank you for your consideration and welcome your experienced thoughts and suggestions.[/size]

In my opinion, the Hifiman HE-6 does well with the genres you listed. However, the HE-6 has extremely high power requirements compared to most headphones. I think they need as much power as a small bookshelf desktop monitors. Something like a high-gain Beta22 or a Ray Samuels Dark Star (slightly out of your budget) would be good with them, based on reviews. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #10,825 of 29,490
Over the past month or two I've been doing a lot of research on which cans to purchase. This will be my first really good pair and I obviously want to get it right. The one's I am really considering are the Sennheiser HD 650/600 and the AKG Q701's. Yesterday as I was perusing Amazon I noticed the Q's are $225 which is appealing to me price wise compared to the Sennheiser's. After doing a little more research I have to admit I'm a little confused about the Q's, I have read a lot of positive stuff but like someone said most people either "love them or hate them." I realize I'm gonna have to get a good amp (the Matrix M-Stage or Schiit Lyr seem to be a good choice for them) and saving some money to put towards an amp is something I wouldn't mind doing so basically what I'm saying is if everything checks out I'll probably be going for the Q701's.

The music I mostly listen to is jazz and classical but also like blues, classic rock and singer/songwriter type stuff. The Q701 seems like it does jazz and classical pretty well which is great but I'm not 100% certain about the other genres. They will also be used 100% in my room so I'm not looking for something I can take to the library or use around town. I have also read about the long burn in time, some people say it can take up to 400 hours for them to really start opening up and I'm ok with this.

So anyways there it is, I see there are a few threads about the Q701's and am in the process of reading them but do you think I should be ok with the Q701? Or should I look elsewhere. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #10,826 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah I saw those but dislike the on ear. Have any suggestions for over the ear?

No, you've pretty much shot down the main suggestions under $40, at least from my point of view.  ljokerl does mention the JVC HA-M750 set in his long review thread of portables, but that's all I know of those headphones: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #10,827 of 29,490

Quote:
No, you've pretty much shot down the main suggestions under $40, at least from my point of view.  ljokerl does mention the JVC HA-M750 set in his long review thread of portables, but that's all I know of those headphones: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

I'm sorry. I don't want to sound douchey or anything. I do value your suggestion. Its just preference you know? Ill look into the JVCs. thanks, 

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #10,828 of 29,490
I made a thread earlier but I just stumbled upon this one, so ill just copy paste my thread here :)

Primary use is going to be gaming(80%) and then also Hip-Hop/Rap and Techno(mostly dubstep and trance).
At first I wanted a gaming headset but it seems that just getting a decent pair of headphones and a zalman clip on is going to be the better option. My budget is around $50(not including mic) but it is a tad flexible. So far, I was looking at Samson SR850's for $40, Superlux HD668B's for $53, and Sennheiser HD448's for $50. I'm really at a stand still and can't choose so some feedback and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #10,829 of 29,490

Quote:
I made a thread earlier but I just stumbled upon this one, so ill just copy paste my thread here :)

Primary use is going to be gaming(80%) and then also Hip-Hop/Rap and Techno(mostly dubstep and trance).
At first I wanted a gaming headset but it seems that just getting a decent pair of headphones and a zalman clip on is going to be the better option. My budget is around $50(not including mic) but it is a tad flexible. So far, I was looking at Samson SR850's for $40, Superlux HD668B's for $53, and Sennheiser HD448's for $50. I'm really at a stand still and can't choose so some feedback and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Samsons and Superluxes are virtually the same headphone.  The only major difference that I can think of is that the Samsons have a detachable cable.

From what I've read (and what I've experienced with the Sennheiser HD-series in general), the HD448s won't have enough bass for your taste if you listen to hip-hop, rap, and dubstep.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #10,830 of 29,490
Same situation as above. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSheOrder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hey guys,

hate to be a total newbie who hasn't done a ton of research but i'm urgently looking for a pair of headphones that'll give me the best bang for my buck in isolating noise balanced with quality. just moved into an apartment where it's pretty loud upstairs with kids and stuff and i want to isolate the noise while listening to lectures without blasting the volume and damaging my ears.

i'm in a suburb-ish part of Canada away from Toronto for schooling right now so my best bet is picking something up from future shop.  the website has the following options available that aren't sold out:

Sennheiser On-Ear Headphones (HD 201) ($49.99)
Sennheiser Headband Headphones (HD438) ($129.99)
Coby On-Ear Noise Canceling Headphones (CV195) ($20.99)
AKG Foldable Sound Isolating Headphones (K403) ($69.99)
Lethal DJ On-Ear Headphones (T5502) ($69.99)
AKG Headband Headphones (K518) ($69.99)
JVC Xtreme Xplosives Headphones (HA-M5X) ($59.99)
JVC DJ Monitoring Headphones (HA-M750) ($69.95)
Shure Professional Headphones (SRH440) ($116.99)
Sony MDR-V700DJ DJ Style Headband Headphones ($99.99)​

hope this post doesn't offended anyone and it'd be great to get some help

thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back