++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #10,802 of 29,490

Got my D2000's the other day for $300 at Bay Bloor Radio in downtown Toronto. It's my first  set of headphones and I'm really happy with them. For anybody looking for something that's easy to drive and has great bass these might be worth a look. I'm thinking about getting the ibasso d12 for portable use and maybe for a better sound than my receiver.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #10,803 of 29,490
When do you need an amp? My CAL!s are easy to drive, so sound equally good on my iTouch as my laptop. Will I benefit from for example an E6? I like trying it out, but don't want to spend too much money right away on an E10 or E11. What difference will I notice?

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #10,804 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and like so many I'm shopping for headphones and hoping to get some feedback from others who know much more about headphones/sounds than I do!

I currently own a pair of AKG K26p. I've had them for almost 2 years now and I love them but I edit music (not professionally but for my own pleasure) and after a few hours wearing the AKG's it becomes slightly painful and I have to take them off. Yesterday I bought a pair of Grado SR80i and although they feel much more comfortable than the AKG's the sound is lacking. I listen to mostly hip hop, dancehall and electronic music so bass is important and when it comes to bass there's a dramatic difference between the AKG and these Grado. I'm just looking for a comfortable pair of headphones under $150 that I can wear for extended periods of time with a nice sound. Can someone please help me decide what would work best for me?

I appreciate any and all information you can give me. I have researched but it leads to the same headphones having one "best headphones ever" review and next "worst headphones ever" so researching is confusing me even more! Also this may sound ridiculous to some but aesthetics is important to me. I do not want to buy any headphones that are red, blue, yellow, etc. I much prefer black, silver and/or gold and that's it.

(I'll be using my headphones on my MacBook Pro and the format of most of my music is mp3 files)

White or black px 100 II should be your pick if you want everything you had with k26p and that is solid bass with much better comfort combined with portability and relatively balanced sound (balance is better then k26p, but with plenty of bass). They do not need an amp but they do leak, since they are very sensitive they can go loud and block all unwanted noise but that is not always recommended. If you want closed can, you have to know that any CAN will be moderate to very uncomfortable (except denon, which dont block sound in or out).

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #10,805 of 29,490
I just started a thread, oops.  Didn't notice this one!  Anyway I'll copy paste the content here, and if a mod wants to get rid of the thread I started, please do so...

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones for about 2 years now, and I rather like them...but I just found out that I bought them from an Amazon third party seller that's specifically on Sennheiser's list of UNauthorized retailers.  So chances are they're fake.

That in mind, I figured it was time to see what the real deal sounded like.  I just read a thread on here about how good the HD 203s are, but another thread on how good the HD 448s are.

Therein lies the problem.  At least until the sale on Newegg is up, they're both $50 (ok, so the 448's will cost 4 cents more...).  I'm resisting the urge to just buy the 448's since they're down from $130, where the 203s are always $50... I get that more expensive doesn't inherently mean better.

Price being the same, which should I get?  My musical preference tends toward the heavy metal side, but I do have days where I really have to listen to ska, or jazz, or anything with horns in it.

I usually listen on a computer, so we can assume sound will be amped.  I don't usually use full size headphones with my iPod, since if I'm going to be portable I'll just use earbuds.

Short version: Metal and ska.  At the same price, 448 or 203?

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #10,806 of 29,490

For metal and ska I am sure that senn hd 25 1 will do the job perfectly, forgiving, lightning fast, very punchy but balanced, no amp needed, for jazz... well surly not good as with metal and ska but can do the job ok. If you have smaller head than with velour pads they will be comfortable enough, since they are on ear. They are little above budget (130$ for the 448) but with those genres will be well worth their price. You can check them out on for sale forum. 
My musical preference tends toward the heavy metal side, but I do have days where I really have to listen to ska, or jazz, or anything with horns in it.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #10,807 of 29,490
First time post so please bear with me. Me and my wife just had a baby girl (yeah!). I have always been an avid movie watcher and music listener my whole life and I have a surround sound system that shows this, but in no means do I think I am an audiophile. Just a basic joe who loves music and movies. But I have never invested in a decent or nice pair of over the ear headphones. Just cranked the speaker system in the house. Well, with the aforementioned blessing, I now basically have a “mute button” put on my system because of my little baby girl. So I did what any movie and music lover would do, dived into Head-Fi.org and started to read post after post of headphone opinions etc so I can still listen to my music and possibly surround sound movies at night. I don’t have anywhere around where I live (Flint, MI) where I can walk in and sample different headphones to see what sounds good to me ears, so your suggestions are what I am going to base my first purchase on basically. My audio future is in your hands!!!

I can tell you I would love to have a over the ear system where not only does it produce good audio, but also, with a Dolby Headphone mixamp hooked up to my Onkyo receiver, it would sound good and give a little extra surround sound illusion to watching blu ray movies late at night (spacial effect but clear sound). I am not a bass head, I am a rocker. I listen to most all rock n roll and alternative (no hard core speed metal, no rap really or R&B-more along the lines of Pearl Jam, Shinedown, STP, Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Halestorm, etc), blues (Kenny Wayne, Stevie Ray, etc), some of the more instrument oriented pop (Maroon 5, Young the Giant, Incubus, Mumford & Sons). I was all set to pull the trigger on the Fischer Audio FA-011’s as they sound like they had the “fun” sound I was looking for but with some bass but not overpowering bass as well and sounded like they would be good for movies too, but it sounds like ordering from GB Audio in Russia is a hassle and in some cases a disaster. And I can’t find anywhere else to get them.  If someone can tell me where to get them I would just order them.   I can’t break the bank and am looking to keep the cost hopefully under $200. Would stretch to maybe $300 if it would make that big of a difference and give me much better options but if I can find something cheaper like the FA-011 or whatnot, even better. I have always just used in ear phones in the past so like I said, anything should be a big jump for me but I want to make sure it is the “right” jump. Since I live in the States, I would also like to get something where I can either buy it online right away or have it right away, or something that won’t take too long to arrive if at all (GB Audio). I was looking at the Senn HD598’s (open) and the newer Audio Technica’s A900x (closed but seems like it has a pretty good sound field with a little more bass from the A700’s). I know one is open and the other is closed, and I know that would produce a completed different sound field, but I am open to either since I don’t have ANY experience in either. I do know that headphones like Beats by Dr Dre…I don’t like. Too much bass for me and it drowns out the mids and sometimes even gets in the way of the highs (at least what I could tell at Best Buy). I like to “hear” my instruments and the singer and not just get my head rattled by bass. The only headphones I have been able to try in person are from Best Buy and that should tell you about my audio pains right there.
wink_face.gif
On a side note, I also play PC games too so if the set can simulate a good and clear surround sound effect for games at night would be great too. I know I am asking a lot, but that is why I am coming for your opinions and much needed help. Don’t have a lot of funds so my first choice will be critical and I want to make the right choice. Fire away everyone and I appreciate any and all opinions. Sorry for the longer post and will keep them much shorter in the future...

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #10,808 of 29,490
First time post so please bear with me. Me and my wife just had a baby girl (yeah!). I have always been an avid movie watcher and music listener my whole life and I have a surround sound system that shows this, but in no means do I think I am an audiophile. Just a basic joe who loves music and movies. But I have never invested in a decent or nice pair of over the ear headphones. Just cranked the speaker system in the house. Well, with the aforementioned blessing, I now basically have a “mute button” put on my system because of my little baby girl. So I did what any movie and music lover would do, dived into Head-Fi.org and started to read post after post of headphone opinions etc so I can still listen to my music and possibly surround sound movies at night. I don’t have anywhere around where I live (Flint, MI) where I can walk in and sample different headphones to see what sounds good to my ears, so your suggestions are what I am going to base my first purchase on basically. My audio future is in your hands!!!

I can tell you I would love to have a over the ear system where not only does it produce good audio, but also, with a Dolby Headphone mixamp hooked up to my Onkyo receiver, it would sound good and give a little extra surround sound illusion to watching blu ray movies late at night (spacial effect but clear sound). I am not a bass head, I am a rocker. I listen to most all rock n roll and alternative (no hard core speed metal, no rap really or R&B-more along the lines of Pearl Jam, Shinedown, STP, Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Halestorm, etc), blues (Kenny Wayne, Stevie Ray, etc), some of the more instrument oriented pop (Maroon 5, Young the Giant, Incubus, Mumford & Sons). I was all set to pull the trigger on the Fischer Audio FA-011’s as they sound like they had the “fun” sound I was looking for but with some bass but not overpowering bass as well and sounded like they would be good for movies too, but it sounds like ordering from GB Audio in Russia is a hassle and in some cases a disaster. And I can’t find anywhere else to get them.  If someone can tell me where to get them I would just order them.   I can’t break the bank and am looking to keep the cost hopefully under $200. Would stretch to maybe $300 if it would make that big of a difference and give me much better options but if I can find something cheaper like the FA-011 or whatnot, even better. I have always just used in ear phones in the past so like I said, anything should be a big jump for me but I want to make sure it is the “right” jump. Since I live in the States, I would also like to get something where I can either buy it online right away or have it right away, or something that won’t take too long to arrive if at all (GB Audio). I was looking at the Senn HD598’s (open) and the newer Audio Technica’s A900x (closed but seems like it has a pretty good sound field with a little more bass from the A700’s). I know one is open and the other is closed, and I know that would produce a completed different sound field, but I am open to either since I don’t have ANY experience in either. I do know that headphones like Beats by Dr Dre…I don’t like. Too much bass for me and it drowns out the mids and sometimes even gets in the way of the highs (at least what I could tell at Best Buy). I like to “hear” my instruments and the singer and not just get my head rattled by bass. The only headphones I have been able to try in person are from Best Buy and that should tell you about my audio pains right there.
wink_face.gif
On a side note, I also play PC games too so if the set can simulate a good and clear surround sound effect for games at night would be great too. I know I am asking a lot, but that is why I am coming for your opinions and much needed help. Don’t have a lot of funds so my first choice will be critical and I want to make the right choice. Fire away everyone and I appreciate any and all opinions. Sorry for the longer post and will keep them much shorted in the future

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #10,809 of 29,490
Mods, I messed up (like i said first time poster) when trying to edit and double posted.  Sorry...could you please delete one post....look forward to everyone's responses and suggestions.  Will answer any questions you audiophiles might have as well...

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #10,810 of 29,490

Quote:

For metal and ska I am sure that senn hd 25 1 will do the job perfectly, forgiving, lightning fast, very punchy but balanced, no amp needed, for jazz... well surly not good as with metal and ska but can do the job ok. If you have smaller head than with velour pads they will be comfortable enough, since they are on ear. They are little above budget (130$ for the 448) but with those genres will be well worth their price. You can check them out on for sale forum. 

For the sake of simplicity, I'd like to keep it between the 203's or the 448 (otherwise I'll be shopping forever).  All I really want to know is whether the 448 is really that much better than the 203.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #10,811 of 29,490
If you already read HD448 thread you should know that it needs an amp to sound loud as 203 and translated into your words, it means shopping forever lol

Quote:
For the sake of simplicity, I'd like to keep it between the 203's or the 448 (otherwise I'll be shopping forever).  All I really want to know is whether the 448 is really that much better than the 203.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #10,812 of 29,490

Quote:
I can tell you I would love to have a over the ear system where not only does it produce good audio, but also, with a Dolby Headphone mixamp hooked up to my Onkyo receiver, it would sound good and give a little extra surround sound illusion to watching blu ray movies late at night (spacial effect but clear sound). I am not a bass head, I am a rocker. I listen to most all rock n roll and alternative (no hard core speed metal, no rap really or R&B-more along the lines of Pearl Jam, Shinedown, STP, Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Halestorm, etc), blues (Kenny Wayne, Stevie Ray, etc), some of the more instrument oriented pop (Maroon 5, Young the Giant, Incubus, Mumford & Sons). I was all set to pull the trigger on the Fischer Audio FA-011’s as they sound like they had the “fun” sound I was looking for but with some bass but not overpowering bass as well and sounded like they would be good for movies too, but it sounds like ordering from GB Audio in Russia is a hassle and in some cases a disaster. And I can’t find anywhere else to get them.  If someone can tell me where to get them I would just order them.   I can’t break the bank and am looking to keep the cost hopefully under $200. Would stretch to maybe $300 if it would make that big of a difference and give me much better options but if I can find something cheaper like the FA-011 or whatnot, even better. I have always just used in ear phones in the past so like I said, anything should be a big jump for me but I want to make sure it is the “right” jump. Since I live in the States, I would also like to get something where I can either buy it online right away or have it right away, or something that won’t take too long to arrive if at all (GB Audio). I was looking at the Senn HD598’s (open) and the newer Audio Technica’s A900x (closed but seems like it has a pretty good sound field with a little more bass from the A700’s). I know one is open and the other is closed, and I know that would produce a completed different sound field, but I am open to either since I don’t have ANY experience in either. I do know that headphones like Beats by Dr Dre…I don’t like. Too much bass for me and it drowns out the mids and sometimes even gets in the way of the highs (at least what I could tell at Best Buy). I like to “hear” my instruments and the singer and not just get my head rattled by bass. The only headphones I have been able to try in person are from Best Buy and that should tell you about my audio pains

More closed or open headphone? I think closed ll be better for you if you don't want wake up your baby.

A900x (based on reviews) ll be probably a good choice for your needs. I had the old version A900, very good with movie/gaming.

After, Pro900 is even better with movie/gaming but not a very good all rounder.

SRH840 is also very good with movie and its an excellent all rounder, balanced headphone.

In open, without amp, HD598 is a must have, AD900 too.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #10,813 of 29,490

Hey guys,

I've had the HD 555's for about 2 years now and am thinking it may be time to upgrade. I do enjoy the comfort of Sennheiser so I'm thinking I may upgrade through their lines.

Would the HD 598's be a good step up? How do they compare in terms of sound? In terms of aesthetics I think they are a major improvement. Thoughts?

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #10,814 of 29,490
Hey guys. I have admired these forums for years, tons of knowledgable people on here. So now I need some help. I own Beats by Dre (I know, I know) and also some older Sennheiser HD555's. I think it's time for a change. A little about my musical taste: I listen to a lot of hip-hop. I like some nice bass but don't want it to distort the sound too much. I am trying to step my audiophile game up! I don't need killer bass, but clean, full bass. Sometimes very intense highs can turn me off. I love The Beatles, The Smiths, Bob Dylan, Radiohead John Coltrane. Everything from The Band, to Wu Tang to Modest Mouse and Neutral Milk Hotel. My budget it under 300 maybe around 250. So what do the experts suggest? Good audiophile sound? Solid bass and good for all genres with a bit more emphasis on hip-hop? Thanks!

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10,815 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,
I've had the HD 555's for about 2 years now and am thinking it may be time to upgrade. I do enjoy the comfort of Sennheiser so I'm thinking I may upgrade through their lines.
Would the HD 598's be a good step up? How do they compare in terms of sound? In terms of aesthetics I think they are a major improvement. Thoughts?

The HD-598 will do everything fairly better then the HD-555.
Give the HD-598 50 hours of break in before final judgement.
Best price is at Electronics Expo, after adding the HD-598 to your shopping cart, use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
Sometimes it takes a few days to process and ship at Electronics Expo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back