++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #10,772 of 29,490
Hi guys, looking for a set of cans. I want to wear them out in public,  so keep em a bit small. Around the size of 518's and sj55's. For music, I listen to Electro, House, dnb, some dubstep, and a bit of rap. Good bass is a must, and I want them to be nice and clear. Please help me out!
Thanks!

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #10,773 of 29,490
i know this is off topic but it doens't need a new thread.

bookshelf speakers!
in the 350 and under range.

if you got suggestions let me have em!

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #10,774 of 29,490
I own one and have heard both.  Both the Denon and the B&W are very portable.  The B&Ws are built really well.  The Denons are a mixed bag on build quality.  Some parts are very cheap feeling, some are very nice feeling.  That being said, the Denons have really great value compared to the B&W which is quite a bit more expensive.  They are both supremely comfortable for closed, leather padded headphones.  One warning though, the Denons are quite bassy, although, it does die down a bit after break in.

Quote:
Denon AH-D1100 vs B&W P5?

Has anyone heard both of these and have a preference for which phone is better?

I have heard the D2000, and they are very nice.  But they're not portable enough for me.  

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #10,775 of 29,490
You just pretty much asked for the Denon AH-D1100...  They are quite portable and have great bass.
Quote:
Hi guys, looking for a set of cans. I want to wear them out in public,  so keep em a bit small. Around the size of 518's and sj55's. For music, I listen to Electro, House, dnb, some dubstep, and a bit of rap. Good bass is a must, and I want them to be nice and clear. Please help me out!
Thanks!

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #10,776 of 29,490

Quote:
Denon AH-D1100 vs B&W P5?

Has anyone heard both of these and have a preference for which phone is better?

I have heard the D2000, and they are very nice.  But they're not portable enough for me.  

the b&w sound pretty good, from what I hear the d1100 has a lot of pressured bass, and a giant cavernous feel. The b&w has smaller bass that is great for rock imo, and the sound stage is not that great and seperation is decent, I'd say go with the D1100 for a fun all around cooler and better sound, and the B&W will be better as portables, for the amazing isolation and comfort. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #10,777 of 29,490
The bass on the D1100 is something else...  When turned up you can FEEL your eardrums moving in and out.  It also has a huge soundstage for a closed headphone.  The D1100 is just as portable as the B&W, just a little larger.  It is what you might call a full size portable.

Quote:
 the b&w sound pretty good, from what I hear the d1100 has a lot of pressured bass, and a giant cavernous feel. The b&w has smaller bass that is great for rock imo, and the sound stage is not that great and seperation is decent, I'd say go with the D1100 for a fun all around cooler and better sound, and the B&W will be better as portables, for the amazing isolation and comfort. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #10,778 of 29,490
I tried searching through some of this thread... but it's at over 700 pages now. 

I'm trying to gift some headphones that will be replacing a pair of Beats Studio - not too hard with regards to sound but pretty difficult with regards to style. I'm trying to find something that will be replacing a purple headphone set so I'm looking for something that will have a variety of color options, look stylish (something that looks like Grado's won't do,) and are closed back. Person isn't an audiophile so crystal clarity isn't needed (but I'd like to introduce strong mids and clear highs) but bass should be emphasized. 

Pref between 100 and 200, but a little more or less won't hurt. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Klipsch M40. What else is out there?

Many thanks. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #10,779 of 29,490

Quote:
I tried searching through some of this thread... but it's at over 700 pages now. 

I'm trying to gift some headphones that will be replacing a pair of Beats Studio - not too hard with regards to sound but pretty difficult with regards to style. I'm trying to find something that will be replacing a purple headphone set so I'm looking for something that will have a variety of color options, look stylish (something that looks like Grado's won't do,) and are closed back. Person isn't an audiophile so crystal clarity isn't needed (but I'd like to introduce strong mids and clear highs) but bass should be emphasized. 

Pref between 100 and 200, but a little more or less won't hurt. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Klipsch M40. What else is out there?

Many thanks. 

Check out the V-moda M80/Crossfade models, the Phiaton MS300/400, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and the AKG K181 in your price range.
Way below there are cans like the AKG K81s, and above are the B&W P5s and the Beyerdynamic DT1350/T50p

These review threads should help too:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #10,780 of 29,490
I am unable to decide on the best possible pair of cans i can get for about 300pounds. I would prefer if it has decent noise isolation and good looks. Amazing sound is my key factor. I listen to a lot of rock, pop, rnb and country. A lot of Indian instrumental music too. 
Im currently looking into:
Beyerdynamic 1350
Audio Technica M50
[EDIT] AKG K181DJ
BandW P5
v-Moda M80.
[edit] Ultrasone pro 750
Ultrasone DJ1 pro
Denon AHD2000
AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-ES7 
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Audio Technica 700 Mk2

Which is the best one amongst these?
Have i missed any good ones?

Thanks 

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #10,781 of 29,490

Quote:
I am unable to decide on the best possible pair of cans i can get for about 300pounds. I would prefer if it has decent noise isolation and good looks. Amazing sound is my key factor. I listen to a lot of rock, pop, rnb and country. A lot of Indian instrumental music too. 
Im currently looking into:
Beyerdynamic 1350
Audio Technica M50
Beats by Dre Studio 
AKG 701
BandW P5
v-Moda M80.

Have i missed any good ones?

Thanks 

Tip #1: Drop the Beats
#2 (a question, not a tip): Where/when will you be using these headphones? i.e. is portability an issue? If it's not, there's some larger options available as well. Also, the AKGs are open, and will not isolate at all. You may also want to look into the Ultrasone and Denon lines of headphones.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #10,782 of 29,490

Tip #1: Drop the Beats

#2 (a question, not a tip): Where/when will you be using these headphones? i.e. is portability an issue? If it's not, there's some larger options available as well. Also, the AKGs are open, and will not isolate at all. You may also want to look into the Ultrasone and Denon lines of headphones.

yes, portability is another thing thats important. I dont have to carry them around much but occasionally it will be necessary. But im a girl so something light and fancy would be great. As of now im loving the v-moda and the B&W. Are there any major cons i should consider before buying any of those(if i were to buy them) ? Denon AHD2000 seems interesting too.  

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #10,783 of 29,490

Quote:

yes, portability is another thing thats important. I dont have to carry them around much but occasionally it will be necessary. But im a girl so something light and fancy would be great. As of now im loving the v-moda and the B&W. Are there any major cons i should consider before buying any of those(if i were to buy them) ? Denon AHD2000 seems interesting too.  

The V-modas do not isolate very well, because they are semi open. The B&Ws don't sound the absolute best for the price, but are very nice as a complete package.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #10,784 of 29,490

Quote:
So I a made the mistake in creating a new thread before finding this one via search...

I have the ATH-M50s and am looking to pair it up with a good AMP to use with an Ipod Nano.

I was thinking of the T3, D4 or D-Zero iBasso.

Please advise.

I see a lot of threads on similar questions but either 1) the thread gets sidetrack or 2) not specific to the exact amps (usually what's a good amp)

How is the comfort level of ATH-M50 for the time duration of 4-5 hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back