++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 31, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #10,593 of 29,490

Quote:
IMO the worst I've heard next to open cans. It's pretty noticeable from a few feet away.

that is so disappointing because i've heard such great things about them. do you know of any other good closed headphones around $300? i was thinking about the ultrasone pro 900 but people here say that they aren't all around headphones which is what i want.

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #10,594 of 29,490
I don't come to the full size forum much, I did some searching and haven't anything that is matching my needs.  I  have a $50 best buy gift card I got as a tip for some work I did, I would be willing to add $25 in cash to a pair of full size cans.  My musical preference is classical, treble head that likes an even frequency response across the range.  Any tips or suggestions for best buy?

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #10,595 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi all. I've been looking online at headphone information and have come across this site a few times and it looks really helpful, so signed up.

I created a new thread before spotting this one, so could a mod please delete that one? Apologies for that.

I currently have an Auzentech Xfi Forte sound card (with built in headphone amp). I bought a Razer Carcharias headset a few months ago as I had neither speakers or mic, but I know have a desktop mic so thinking about getting proper headphones. I tried my mates Grado SR80i the other day and they sound fantastic, as if you're there live with the musicians and can hear the drum hit, etc. They are lacking a little with the bass though, so have to turn that up on the card. In comparison, my Razers sound quite flat and flabby and my Bose on-ears have way way too much bass.

I want to try a few in some shops if I can, but don't really know where to start. There's probably a lot of brands I've never heard of. I listen to a lot of music (rock mainly but also hip hop and dance), watch movies and play games, all on my pc (flac, bluray and dvd). So I need something quite all round. I'm open to any type of headphone, be it closed or open back, willing to spend above £100 if needs be, but obviously don't want to spend over the odds just because of a brand name like Bose and Beats. I want something clear, well defined (but not tinny or harsh) and not booming bass, but punchy.

Hope this is enough info to be useful, if not, let me know. Cheers and happy new year!

The Grado's are great for certain types of music, I am definitely a fan for rock and a few other genres, but they won't have the soundstage you need for movies or games.  Also they tend to get a bit fatiguing after a while. 

I would recommend the KRK KNS 8400  as a good all-rounder, but it seems to be a bit more expensive in the UK than it is here in the US.  They make a less upscale model, the KNS 6400.  Do a search on both here at headfi and see if they look good to you.
Other possibilities include the Creative Aurvana Live! and the Sony MDR V6, and both are well under £100. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #10,596 of 29,490
Hi everyone, Had a question about a cheap DAC. I have a HK AVR 146 receiver which I use as a DAC which feeds to my Schiit Lyr and then K701. My question is, would buying on of those cheap DACs (sub $100) benefit my sound quality? I was thinking of getting the Fiio D3 to replace my receiver is if does improve sound quality. I plan to get the Schiit Bifrost eventually but that wont happen till another 6 months or so. For the time being, should I get a cheap DAC or stick with my receiver? Thanks everyone

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #10,597 of 29,490

Instead of jumping blindly off of everything i have read and not knowing specifics of certain things, i decided to make a post of my own to better help me out in picking up a pair of headphones.

Music genres: Mostly hip-hop/rap and a lot of different electronic (dnb, trance, house, etc) I rarely listen to rock, country, acoustic, or anything like that.

Portable: I live in Chicago, so i usually use buds for public transit and walking around. I play a sport for my college so there is travelin that adds up. it would be nice to have a good sound while sitting for 4-5 hours in a van. However, being able to wear them on the train and bus without feeling like a dork would be a nice plus.

Price range: Really looking for $80-100.... Hoping to buy off Amazon so it would nice if they were on there. Im not looking for cheap, but would like to get quality for my dollar.

Amped: No... basically going to plug directly into laptop and iphone.

Closed/Open: Closed.... Would use while studying or in the presence of roomates and team mates.

Headphone preference: I love to groove to my music. I dont "analyze" it, but i also want to hear everything.

Overall, i want solid headphones. Durability is a big thing as well. Ive been looking at studio, but i dont plan on recording or mixing so keep that in mind. I just want to enjoy my music and "feel" it. A couple models ive been looking at are the Senn 448, Shure 440, KRK KNS 6400.... I have looked at the Sony XB700 but it is too bulky for my taste.. Thanks in advance for the help. 

Edit: I just took another look at the Audio Technica M50's. Even though they are a little over budget, is the extra money worth it if it will get what i want? I can also get past the coiled cable if the headphones are what fit my description. Thanks again.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #10,598 of 29,490
Hey guys just a quick question. Need a portable headphone to use at university. 

It will have to be closed and durable.

It will be used directly of my android device and try to keep it under $200 USD don't really care if it's a bit over but just don't want to be too upset if I lose or break it.

I had a couple of ideas: MDR 7509 (doubt these would work well without an amp) or the SRH 840's. Toss me any other suggestions as well.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #10,599 of 29,490
Hi everyone, I am looking for closed cans for outdoor use and commuting. I am choosing between the Sony mdr v6 and the m50. I listen to rock, pop, hip-hop, electronica. I like slight emphasis on bass, not all boomy but tight. Please suggest one of these, thanks. :D
Ps: I can't extend my budget
Pps: I want to know about a decent portable amp/dac combination, preferably under 100 usd. I'd be getting it next month
Thanks again :D

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #10,600 of 29,490

Quote:
The Grado's are great for certain types of music, I am definitely a fan for rock and a few other genres, but they won't have the soundstage you need for movies or games.  Also they tend to get a bit fatiguing after a while. 

I would recommend the KRK KNS 8400  as a good all-rounder, but it seems to be a bit more expensive in the UK than it is here in the US.  They make a less upscale model, the KNS 6400.  Do a search on both here at headfi and see if they look good to you.
Other possibilities include the Creative Aurvana Live! and the Sony MDR V6, and both are well under £100. 

Thanks a lot, I'll read up on them. I've had the following mentioned to me elsewhere, what's your opinion on them? Denon AHD1001, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Audio Technia AD900.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #10,601 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone, I am looking for closed cans for outdoor use and commuting. I am choosing between the Sony mdr v6 and the m50. I listen to rock, pop, hip-hop, electronica. I like slight emphasis on bass, not all boomy but tight. Please suggest one of these, thanks.
biggrin.gif

Ps: I can't extend my budget
Pps: I want to know about a decent portable amp/dac combination, preferably under 100 usd. I'd be getting it next month
Thanks again
biggrin.gif

ATH M50 and for amp/dac go Fiio E7

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #10,602 of 29,490
@jimmyhart
Can you still get the Denon AHD1001's?  I believe they use the same driver as the Creative Aurvana Live! but were much more expensive.  The Audio Technica AD900 is well above the original price range you quoted.  Very good rep, but I haven't heard them.  The Beyer's differ a bit on which model of 770 you get.  The 80 ohm version is bass heavy. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #10,604 of 29,490
Ah, apologies Kerry, the person who mentioned the 900s said they were about £150. Just had a good look around and they are far from it! Nowhere under 200! What are the 700s like? They seem to be around £100.

As for the Denon's, it seems you're right. They are available on some websites, but no known ones, so I wouldn't really trust them.

Thanks for the Beyer info, I'll read up on them in more detail.

Just as a side point, you mention Grado's are good for certain music but not movies or music, is this just the SR80i? Or the entire range? I noticed there's a 125 and 225 (more expensive at £150 and 200 I know, but I'm selling both my other headphones to partially fund), so wondering if they are just better at music and have the same gaming and movie issues?

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #10,605 of 29,490
The Audio Techinca ATH AD700's are open, quite large physically and have what many regard as an artificially expanded soundstage.  They are also very weak on bass.  There is another version, the ATH A700, which is closed back, but I don't know much about them.  Best to do some digging here in the forum for more info.

I've not heard all the lower end Grado's but they do seem to be quite similar in their sound signature and their presentation.  You won't get a sense of spaciousness in the sound....3d soundstage in other words.  You can pick out individual instruments quite well, but you may not get the best impression of their position.  This can be an issue when listening to movie soundtracks, and even more so when playing games where you need to identify the exact location of enemies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back