++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #10,561 of 29,490

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why not leather? Also, many of the ones you mentioned actually use pleather (fake) or vinyl/velour pads. Also, how big are you on comfort? Some of the supra-aural models (M80, HD25) may not be as comfortable for long usage periods.

Two reasons, I tend to feel that they start to feel a little sticky/nasty after I've been listening to them for a while. Also, from what little headphone experience I do have the leather cracks and breaks well before the headphones start going out. That being said, if the great headphones come with leather(-esque) pads, it's not going to make me shy away. Just a preference for cloth pads that's all.

As for comfort, prefer something that fits well and is comfy so maybe those two aren't the best bet but willing to make some tradeoffs. I understand one is never going to get the perfect set, especially in this price range.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #10,562 of 29,490

Quote:
A (girl) friend is looking for a fullsized headphone that is not too big, most probably neutral sounding, and around US$ 100

I showed my ATH-A700, she liked the sound, specialy the soundstage, but didn't like the size of the cans, too big for her.

If anyone have any sugestion for a headphone with this specs or similar for delcate heads and ears, please, tell me. Stylish would be good too, but not absolutely necessary. Also it has to be portable, although it will not leave her home most of the time, but it can leave.

Thanks everyone in advance

i dont know witch reliable headphone brand will you find in Rio,but recently i had the pleasure to re-listen to a krk kns-6400,great headphone!i would compare it with the m50,but for 50 dollar less,a little big maybe ,but considerably light and confortable ,not so stylish.there are a lot of "nice and enjoyable" headphone around that price,just look on amazon and some good store around you,then find some review here,then hit your wallet...

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #10,563 of 29,490

Quote:
What would you guys reccomend for a headphone for around the 50$ price range with these aspects: 
closed/isolating(doesnt let in tons of noise)
Comfy(if they arent comfy whats the point)
on ear(not over ear, looking for them to be portable, generally over ear are too big)
durable(will be used for traveling and be thrown in a backpack most of the time probably)
and of course decent sound, this is one of the least important parts sadly. 

They are for my dad, and he does a lot of traveling between iraq and here. He hates iems, says they hurt his ears, and hes not an audiophile at all, he gets mad sometimes seeing how much i spend on headphones. 

Any more than 50$ and he wont want them, so yeah.  Thanks, DD. 

acoustic research awd205 wireless?
foldable,in ear,but maybe wireless is an issue...

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #10,564 of 29,490
Closed without leather aren't very common for a big reason.  Cloth or velour pads leak sound like crazy so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Quote:
Need a new pair of cans and hoping you guys can help.

Price range: Under $200
Music: Synth/IndiePop, Electronic(a), Pop
Bass: Doesn't have to be super heavy but don't want a really light bass response either
Open/Closed: Closed, I'll be using them at work
Amp/Dac: Don't own one so ideally something that can be driven by my computer
Portable: Doesn't matter.
Other info: Ideally, I'd like the padding to NOT be leather. At this price range I think most stuff is leather and it isn't a deal breaker but if you have suggestions for cans that have foam/cloth/et al. pads I'm all ears.
Currently looking at
  1. ATH M50
  2. V-Moda M80
  3. Sennheiser HD 25 1 II
  4. Dennon D2000
  5. Beyerdynamic DT770
  6. Ultrasone HFI-580

Can anyone kind of weigh in on what I'm looking at/for and give me some feedback? Thanks!

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #10,566 of 29,490
I am trying to give one of my friends a recommendation for a headphone, but he listens to completely different genres than me so I need some help from Head-Fi.

My friend listens to mostly (alternative) rock.

There is no preference to on ear/over ear, or open/closed (though he does only listen to music in his room, so I would go with open).

Budget range: $100-200 (US).

I can always get him to buy an amp.

I was thinking about recommending the Grado SR225i but I've heard that Grados have gotta be demoed before buying, because the sound is very polarizing... you love it or you hate it.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #10,567 of 29,490

Quote:
I am trying to give one of my friends a recommendation for a headphone, but he listens to completely different genres than me so I need some help from Head-Fi.
There is no preference to on ear/over ear, or open/closed (though he does only listen to music in his room, so I would go with open).
I was thinking about recommending the Grado SR225i but I've heard that Grados have gotta be demoed before buying, because the sound is very polarizing... you love it or you hate it.

Sennheiser HD598

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #10,570 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Guys 
I am buying the HD598 and I realize I need a mic.
The webcam mic and my other mic pick up a lot of ambient noise. I want a good mic that won't do that and people won't frustrated with me when I am playing games. Any suggestions? (Clip on mic)

Well there's always the PC360 with the build in mic... 

By ambient noise, do you mean background noise or static/computer noise? If you have a lot of ambient noise, changing mics won't do that much.

Quote:

I like srh940 so far.

I loved it so much that I want to upgrade my phone already.

I wish I can get more bass out of it, I use C421 with LOD out of my ipod4.

I'm thinking about Z1000, t70, and pro900. (somewhere around 500$range)

I need a closed portable phone, because I mostly listen when I'm in library, or when I'm in the bus for a long ride.

I was thinking for t5p. but that's a lot of money put in for a portable one.

Full size is a must, and over ear like hd25 or dt1350 are not my style.

What would you guys recommend?

Definitely not the T70, which is clunky for portable use and a bit lean in bass anyways. The Pro900 would serve you well if you're looking for a bassy headphone, though it's sound signature is quite far removed from the 940. 

Quote:
HI All,

Looks like I missed this thread and started one, sorry! anyway, here it is copy and pasted.

I'm looking to get some nice headphones ($150 max)to use for music at home and work but also playing FPS games. I have a TB DSS 7.1 decoder and will be using them in conjunction with this and will also be attaching a mic. Was thinking about going with the AntLion ModMic (not really comftorable with DIY soldering and such) but would welcome suggestions on this.

I was looking at the AD700s but I don't know how I feel about open headphones since I'll be at work and such...any suggestoin in the $100-150 range?

Definitely go with closed headphones if you're in any kind of environment where you're fighting against ambient noise and/or you don't want to disturb others. Some suggestions:
KRK 6400
Shure 440

Quote:
I think the impedance is 80 ohms. I will not find out until the seller either lets me know what it is or I get the headphones.

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I have another question, if you don't mind enlightening me.

Which would be better for the DT770 pro, the creative sound blaster 1240 amp, or the astro mix amp? I am planning on using the headphones for gaming, music, and movies.

I'd hesitantly say the Mixamp would be better paired with the DT770.

Quote:
Hey, would this Pyle Pro thing on Amazon work well with a Sennheiser HD598?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M8NVFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It should be fine. It looks like just a basic headphone distributor. Do you need all the outputs? Otherwise you could get a little FiiO amp for the same price and have something portable too. 

Quote:
A (girl) friend is looking for a fullsized headphone that is not too big, most probably neutral sounding, and around US$ 100

I showed my ATH-A700, she liked the sound, specialy the soundstage, but didn't like the size of the cans, too big for her.

If anyone have any sugestion for a headphone with this specs or similar for delcate heads and ears, please, tell me. Stylish would be good too, but not absolutely necessary. Also it has to be portable, although it will not leave her home most of the time, but it can leave.

Thanks everyone in advance

full sized but portable, good soundstage, stylish...
Shure 440
Pioneer HDJ-500
Sony ZX700

Quote:
What would you guys reccomend for a headphone for around the 50$ price range with these aspects: 
closed/isolating(doesnt let in tons of noise)
Comfy(if they arent comfy whats the point)
on ear(not over ear, looking for them to be portable, generally over ear are too big)
durable(will be used for traveling and be thrown in a backpack most of the time probably)
and of course decent sound, this is one of the least important parts sadly. 

They are for my dad, and he does a lot of traveling between iraq and here. He hates iems, says they hurt his ears, and hes not an audiophile at all, he gets mad sometimes seeing how much i spend on headphones. 

Any more than 50$ and he wont want them, so yeah.  Thanks, DD. 

That's a tough order... perhaps the AKG K81/518 which is right at your budget. Hard to gauge on the comfort though. On-ear with good isolation almost always means high clamping pressure, which typically becomes uncomfortable for most people. 

Quote:

If you go Grado, start at the SR60. I also like Sony for rock... consider a V6/7506 or ZX700.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #10,571 of 29,490
Hey guys I am looking for some headphones to use when I am not feeling my IEMs.  These would be used to listen to music only.  I currently use Klipsch S4 IEM and connect them to either my iPhone 4 or Macbook Pro.  I would like some closed headphones so that I can use them at work.  I am not opposed to an amp but it would need to be portable.

Artists that play heavy in to my rotation include: Pink Floyd, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Eminem, Beastie Boys, Dr. Dre, The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Muse, Them Crooked Vultures, White Zombie/Rob Zombie, Static-X.

I would like to keep the purchase of headphones (and amp if recommended) below $350.  I would prefer over the ear but would consider on the ear.  I tried on the Klipsch Image One and liked the sound but found the cups to be uncomfortable for me(not sure if these are considered over or on, they just didn't fit me right).

I have listend the the Senn 428 and thought they sounded good but were a little light on the bass, how do the 448s compare?  Before I came here, I was leaning towards the M-50 and there is some strong feelings on those here.  Reading http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/, there is a statement like "If your music has a complex bass, then you may want to consider other options like the HD25-1, the SRH-750DJ and the AKG K181DJ".  What is complex bass?

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #10,573 of 29,490
How do the ATH-PRO700MK2 stack up against the Skullcandy Avaitors? Looking to replace my Avaitors with something better and that has some bass.

ULTRASONE PRO 550, 750, or 900? (they all seem to be around the same price on Amazon.com)

How do these sound for metal, deathcore, and dubstep/electro?

I would be unamped and listening by itouch and laptop (for now, planning on getting one)

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #10,574 of 29,490

Forget the Pro 550. The 750 and 900 are fairly similar to each other and out do the 550. If you like bass in your metal I think the 750 would do you well. The Pro 900 is too bass heavy for anything but EDM IMO.

The 750 is the only can I've owned twice and I loved it both times. Tons of attack and impact bu a more balanced sound than the Pro 900.
Quote:
How do the ATH-PRO700MK2 stack up against the Skullcandy Avaitors? Looking to replace my Avaitors with something better and that has some bass.

ULTRASONE PRO 550, 750, or 900? (they all seem to be around the same price on Amazon.com)

How do these sound for metal, deathcore, and dubstep/electro?

I would be unamped and listening by itouch and laptop (for now, planning on getting one)

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #10,575 of 29,490

Quote:
Well there's always the PC360 with the build in mic... 

By ambient noise, do you mean background noise or static/computer noise? If you have a lot of ambient noise, changing mics won't do that much.

Well I really prefer a clip-on Mic. I mean mostly my computer noise because Graphic Cards like to Roar when I am gaming. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back