++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #10,516 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there a benefit to high impedance headphones with an amp over easy to drive headphones without (or with something like the E7?).  A good amp is obviously an added cost, and I'm wondering what the overall benefit is vs. just being able to use a specific set of headphones that one particularly wants.  Do high impedance headphones exist so people can get the most out of high quality amps, or do some cans just need to be high impedance because of their style?

not about style,from what i know in my concern,but any amp in any circumstances is always welcome (even there are infinite performances depending on the amp+headphone combination) ,the higher impedance the more professional or audiophile use you got,low impedance for best portability.armaegis correct me if im wrong.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #10,517 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm up to a new pair of on-ear hp's. It'll be my first pair in the higher price cat.

The genres of music I'm listening to:
-Hiphop / R&B /Dance / some bass / Alternative / some Rock
-Soundtracks of movies !
I won't use it for games, or whatever. Just music / movies with my iPod Touch.

So, I need all-round good music quality with some bass in it.

- it has to be portable, on-ear, no huge shells
- comfortable, I'm not wearing glasses so, that won't give any problems most of the time. Will wear them for about 3-4 hours a day.
- has to be sturdy, cuz I will wear them even it's raining.
- quality is important
- its a plus when the cable is thicker as normal
- its a plus when it has a 45/90° connector
- design is a plus, I like to have some nice looking hp's too
- not willing to use an amp, so the quality of the sound needs to be good.

BUDGET approx. €200.

I've already tried the Senn. HD25-1 II but I miss some bass in it, overal sound is clear, but way to quiet.
TMA-1 / V-Moda M80 / Ultrasone HFI-580 / ATH-ES55 / but I can't test these so.. if the HD isn't my thing, what will?

=  M80?

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #10,518 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, i dont know much bout these headphones, but ive heard good things about them: hd 25 ii. Didnt mean to push ur budget but theyre $170 on amazon. I dont know much bout them, but i think they might be worth a try for u.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking at those and they seem to be widely accepted as a great set for the money. I'm leaning toward those, the AIAIAI TMA-1 or the AKG K271

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #10,519 of 29,490
I am a beginner when it comes to headphones.

I have a budget of about $300, but would really like to keep it closer to $200.

I would primarily use the headphones for laptop gaming, but also want to be able to use them for listening to music (on computer and portable) and handheld games. In terms of gaming, I would like them to work well for positional awareness in FPS games, while still being great for other games.

I am also considering amps. I want a DAC/AMP combo that allows surround sound. It would primarily be used with my laptop.

Amps
Amazon $130 - Astro gaming mixamp
Amazon $90 - Creative Soundblaster X-fi HD USB Audio System with THX SB1240
Amazon $60 - Creative Soundblaster X-fi surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB 1095

I have no idea what the difference between the Soundblasters are.

Headphones
Amazon $199 - Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro Closed
Amazon $170 - A-900 Closed
Amazon $125 - AKG K271MKII Closed
Amazon $120 - A700 Closed
Amazon $110 - AD700 Open
Amazon $60 - Creative Aurvana Live Closed

Mad Lust Envy's guide to Headphone Gaming has been informative and has influenced some of the items on the list. One of the things mentioned is the DT770 pro has too much bass for competitive FPS - would it be possible to just lower this in a mixer? Also, I'm not really super competitive when it comes to FPS's; would it matter as much for me?

Also, how portable are the headphones? I know the Creative Aurana Live is considered a portable, but are any of the others? What issues make them not suitable to be portable?

From what I hear I like the AD700 the most, except that it is open. Does this impact the leakage significantly?

If the Aurvana's are good enough I would go with that, but could they really utilize the amps?

Is there a major difference between the A700 and AD700?

Is there any other info that would help you guys help me?

Thanks for any input!

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #10,520 of 29,490
Few cans I'm looking at for portable use. Possibly being paired with a Fostex HP-P1 or ALO Rx Mk 3.

DT770 600 Premium
V-Moda M80
Shure 940

I realize these all have pretty different signatures, but my biggest question is which of them responds best to amplification? 

Any other suggestions in ~$300 range that respond really well to amplification are welcome. 

I missed this thread a bit.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #10,521 of 29,490

You're not allowed to ask questions! Only answer them...Seriously, though, this makes me feel better... Everyone needs a recommendation now and then!

Quote:
Few cans I'm looking at for portable use. Possibly being paired with a Fostex HP-P1 or ALO Rx Mk 3.

DT770 600 Premium
V-Moda M80
Shure 940

I realize these all have pretty different signatures, but my biggest question is which of them responds best to amplification? 

Any other suggestions in ~$300 range that respond really well to amplification are welcome. 

I missed this thread a bit.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #10,522 of 29,490
I've answered more than my share. I deserve to get a little back from you freeloaders. :D

(Granted, I haven't answered a question in quite some time)

It's really just me being lazy and busy. 
wink.gif

Quote:
You're not allowed to ask questions! Only answer them...Seriously, though, this makes me feel better... Everyone needs a recommendation now and then!

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #10,523 of 29,490
Looking to a buy a new pair of in ears to replace my Soundmagic PL30's.

I was looking at something in the price range of the Shure SE215's or the Westone UM1's....what would you recommend out of these two or any others?

Looking to spend no more than £80.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #10,524 of 29,490

Since I've just been called a "freeloader" :) , here are two hugely useful resources:
  1. http://www.inearmatters.net/2009/01/list_01.html
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-210-iems-compared-acs-t15-creative-aurvana-3-added-12-22-11

I just recommended to my friend who was buying a sub $100 iem for their college aged son:
  1. Etymotic HF5 (one of the best sub $100 iems around) (analytical, bass light but great iem, fantastic isolation and stellar warranty if you buy authorized)
  2. Meeletronics A121 (actually a bit cheaper, haven't heard) 
  3. Audeo PFE 012 is quite cool w/ filters that can change sound signature. The grey is analytical, the black bassy...and the green, no one really likes. Also has a great warranty. Comes in at 90 pounds (sorry..can't find the symbol!). http://www.audeoworld.com/en/GB/Products/PFE/AudeoPFE01.htm
  4. Not sure about the UK price but I still love the Sennheiser IE7. A little sloppy bass but the most lovely mids!

If you can stretch your budget to 105 pounds, I give my wholehearted support to the GR07, a budget iem that doesn't make you sacrifice any quality in sound. So-so treble and not super noise isolating, but besides that, these are one of my favorite iems! Really, really good: http://shop.frogbeats.com/vsonic-gr07

At 109 pounds, the triple.fi 10 currently on sale at Amazon UK are another amazing pair. I personally have fit problems but they're a great iem!

Edit: Sorry, just saw you said no more than 80... Maybe you can stretch, wait or buy used..
Quote:
Looking to a buy a new pair of in ears to replace my Soundmagic PL30's.

I was looking at something in the price range of the Shure SE215's or the Westone UM1's....what would you recommend out of these two or any others?

Looking to spend no more than £80.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #10,525 of 29,490
Ultrasone Pro 900 or Pro 750. They're pretty much regarded as a bass monster around here. They have fantastic impact. The kicks will hit you like a ton of bricks. 

If you want more of a rumble give the XB700 a shot. They're cheap and one of the better 'bass head' cans in your price range. I'd consider the DT700 Pro as well. 

My favorite being the Pro 750. Less bass than the Pro 900, but I like a more balanced sound while still being bassy.

EDIT: Since I was told I could only answer questions. :D

Quote:

Hey guys I'm  new here and I have been wondering for a long time what headphones I should get. I was recommended to ask around this community of hi-fi enthusiasts

So I like music genres like Techno/Dubstep/House and also most mainstream music.

These are the headphones that I've been put into thought:

Beats By Dr. Dre Studio's - (I know that alot of people look down on these headphones but I tested ones on display and I like the bass and how it "vibrates")

Audio Technica Solid Bass ath-ws55i - (I've also tested these and they were recommended by employees to be the best in its price range.

Skull Candy Skull Crushers - (Tested these but it has been a long time since and I would say these headphones have the strongest bass response with its "subwoofer" speakers)

I am still very open to other recommendations and can handle the budget of $200-$300

Opinions will be most appreciated :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #10,526 of 29,490
Hi all.

I'm new here and new to the field (but not to buying things I can't afford).  I currently have Sennheiser 280pros, which I was very happy with for quite a while, but am now looking to step things up a bit.  
I've tried the Sennheiser HD650s at my friends and was thinking of going with those, but was a bit concerned about the highs rolling off.  How significant is this?  In theory, I'd like a pretty balanced set, but in reality I'm not too sure how necessary this is given my tastes (not necessarily listening to too much classical).  I generally listen to rock (beatles, talking heads, can, pixies, deerhunter) to some more experimental and electronic type stuff (boards of canada, aphex twin, flying lotus, animal collective), and, rarely, jazz and classical. Also, at 350 USD, I've been a bit hardpressed to find another set of cans (to listen to Can) that are as well regarded as the HD650s.  Any suggestions or recommendations for me, or am I on the right track?   Do the HD650s highs outweigh the lows (or should i say LOs outweigh the HIs)?  

Secondly, I'm a bit lost on amps.  I'm not looking to spend an obscene amount and was thinking the Schiit Asgard or Valhalla.  I heard the Asgard was a good fit for the 650s, but what about the Valhalla?  Would there be a significant difference between the two?  Is a tube amp for a HD650 worth it?
(that was tough to write without making a schitt joke)

Also, any other amp recommendations for the HD650s would be much appreciated.

sincerely,
a newbie

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #10,527 of 29,490

Quote:
Sennheiser HD280. I have yet to find anything that isolates better than those in that budget range that isn't an IEM. 

Are those well built? They look pretty flimsy and some of the reviews seem to confirm.

Ugh, I wish these V-Modas didn't leak so much. I love absolutely everything else about them (build quality, case, cables, comfort, etc). Maybe I'll just suck it up and deal with the leaking.

Its tolerable at lower levels. Probably will be better for my hearing anyways if I just turn them down to 20-25...

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #10,528 of 29,490
Thinking of getting shure srh940. I listen to hard rock and love for the vocals to be the main  emphasis. I want to spend no more than 200 but I found the 940 for 205 somewhere. Is there anything better for what I want in my pricerange? They need to be closed backed.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #10,529 of 29,490
Hello guys,

I want to buy a pair of headphones for music, games, movies for a budget of about 50 Euro. I want them to be have some bass. I want them to be circumaural, closed, with some noise cancelation if possible for home use, the source will be a m audio revo 5.1. Now after browsing through some reviews i decided to get the Panasonic HTF 600, which are a good pair of cans, however they have 2 major flaws, first they are still tight after more then a month of use, and are not comfortable for long use, secondly and more importantly the headphones do not do very well when faced with a rapid tempo bass intensive music, the lows just get muddled. The other 2 alternatives are the AKG K77 and SONY XB500. I would like to know to things before i go out and buy one of these:
First, if someone who ownes a pair of AKG's can tell me if they are bassy, say in comparison with the HTF's or some K55 or HD483 which i previously owned. I am satisfied with how low the bass goes on the HTF, but not on the AKG or sennheisers.
Secondly if the XB500 have any similar issues at the lower ranges.
Thirdly if there is any other pair of headphones that you can recomend would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #10,530 of 29,490
Know what I've just discovered? That' I've been an hibernating audiophile.

Good morning everybody.

I principally listen to Nine Inch Nails, Muse and Radiohead, but I may veer into the Deadmau5/Skrillex house/dub territory.
Though some good ol' Pink Floyd are never out of the question.

I'm between

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

and

Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator

Admittetly, Aviator look a lot cooler than the much praised ATH. But I'd like an opinion.

I'm mostly using it for entertainment, and a little mixing/Ableton Live use on the side.
Also, since I'm probably getting an 160GB iPod Classic (I plead guilty to lossless indulgement!), do they fit? Could I change the cable or get amps? (even though I don't know what a portable amp is)

I'm glad I was pointed to this site.
Here's to a new horizon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back