++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #10,501 of 29,490

I am looking for a decently flat, circumaural open backed headphone for use at the computer that are similar in sound to my Shure 840s.  I am looking at headphones around the same price range ($150 USD) as well.

Any suggestions?  So far I am seeing that the Sennheiser 558 or 598 might be an option?

Moving this from my topic and will request it be deleted.  I don't know how I missed this topic.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #10,503 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for responding. How come the 555s and 598s are the same price on amazon? Aren't the 598s supposed to be much better, or is that just the result of an amazon sale?

And for my previous post, do sound cards affect the sound quality when listening through head phones or not?

Because I am tracking both of those on Amazon, the 558 are the same price right now because Amazon themselves are out of stock (they say 1-2 months right now).  The elevated price you are seeing ($144.43 -> $170) is from a 3rd party seller.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #10,505 of 29,490

Quote:

I am looking for a decently flat, circumaural open backed headphone for use at the computer that are similar in sound to my Shure 840s.  I am looking at headphones around the same price range ($150 USD) as well.

Any suggestions?  So far I am seeing that the Sennheiser 558 or 598 might be an option?

Moving this from my topic and will request it be deleted.  I don't know how I missed this topic.

The Senns are the closest thing I can think of that would sound vaguely like the 840. The Beyer DT880 would probably be closer, but it's above budget and needs amping. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #10,506 of 29,490
Greetings,

I'm looking for a good recommendation on a set of $100-150 on-ear headphones that would be suitable for use on public transportation. I say for use on public transportation because I want something that doesn't emit a lot of noise out into the room like my open-back AKG 702's do. Just want to be courteous to my other commuters by not blaring whatever I'm listening to out into the quiet train car.

Something a little more playful in sound than my AKG 702's would be fine and almost preferred. Comfort and durability are also very important as they can take a beating when trekking about the city.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #10,507 of 29,490
Hello. I currently have ath m50s and hd 558 and im unsatisfied with them. I think maybe im just itching for a really good pair of headphones. Thehd 558 and ath m50s just dont have the top of the line claroty that i want. So... Now that thats said an done, i moved my budget to under $300. They must be open, have good bass (i listen to rap, but i dont like bloated bass... Just good balanced bass). They also have to be easy to drive as i will be using the headphones with my sansa fuze. Only exception is if there is a good headphone and amp combo for less than $300. Btw im wantingthese headphones/ headphones and amp combo to be lots better than my ath m50s and hd 558. Thank you so so much for your help and time. God bless. Edit: what i didnt like about the ath m50 and hd 558 is that they werent clear enough... And i wasnt impressed by the soundstage (at least out of my sansa fuze). The bass was good for my rap tunes, and not overpowering. I just thot it sounded like a veil was over the microphone of the musician.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #10,508 of 29,490
Greetings,

I'm looking for a good recommendation on a set of $100-150 on-ear headphones that would be suitable for use on public transportation. I say for use on public transportation because I want something that doesn't emit a lot of noise out into the room like my open-back AKG 702's do. Just want to be courteous to my other commuters by not blaring whatever I'm listening to out into the quiet train car.

Something a little more playful in sound than my AKG 702's would be fine and almost preferred. Comfort and durability are also very important as they can take a beating when trekking about the city.

Okay, i dont know much bout these headphones, but ive heard good things about them: hd 25 ii. Didnt mean to push ur budget but theyre $170 on amazon. I dont know much bout them, but i think they might be worth a try for u.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #10,509 of 29,490
I think I have narrowed my options down to the SRH840, ATH-A900 and the AKG k271.

If I am NOT going to use an amp (directly sourced to my computer or phone), and I want the best mids, with a not overpowering bass which is the better option? Or is there another option for under 200 you would suggest (not the m50s)

Cheers
Jared

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #10,510 of 29,490
Have you looked at the MP4nation HM5 or Fischer FA-003? They are 64ohms and can be driven Ok by a computer or phone and the money you save you can Fiio amp while your at it to help drive them from you phone or amp/dac to improve the output from your computer as well.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #10,511 of 29,490
I'm up to a new pair of on-ear hp's. It'll be my first pair in the higher price cat.

The genres of music I'm listening to:
-Hiphop / R&B /Dance / some bass / Alternative / some Rock
-Soundtracks of movies !
I won't use it for games, or whatever. Just music / movies with my iPod Touch.

So, I need all-round good music quality with some bass in it.

- it has to be portable, on-ear, no huge shells
- comfortable, I'm not wearing glasses so, that won't give any problems most of the time. Will wear them for about 3-4 hours a day.
- has to be sturdy, cuz I will wear them even it's raining.
- quality is important
- its a plus when the cable is thicker as normal
- its a plus when it has a 45/90° connector
- design is a plus, I like to have some nice looking hp's too
- not willing to use an amp, so the quality of the sound needs to be good.

BUDGET approx. €200.

I've already tried the Senn. HD25-1 II but I miss some bass in it, overal sound is clear, but way to quiet.
TMA-1 / V-Moda M80 / Ultrasone HFI-580 / ATH-ES55 / but I can't test these so.. if the HD isn't my thing, what will?

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #10,512 of 29,490

Based on my experience, the AKG K 141 (supra-aural) / K 240 (circumaural) Mk. II models sound close to the Shure SRH840 without reverb issues.
Quote:

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #10,513 of 29,490

Hey guys I'm  new here and I have been wondering for a long time what headphones I should get. I was recommended to ask around this community of hi-fi enthusiasts

So I like music genres like Techno/Dubstep/House and also most mainstream music.

These are the headphones that I've been put into thought:

Beats By Dr. Dre Studio's - (I know that alot of people look down on these headphones but I tested ones on display and I like the bass and how it "vibrates")

Audio Technica Solid Bass ath-ws55i - (I've also tested these and they were recommended by employees to be the best in its price range.

Skull Candy Skull Crushers - (Tested these but it has been a long time since and I would say these headphones have the strongest bass response with its "subwoofer" speakers)

I am still very open to other recommendations and can handle the budget of $200-$300

Opinions will be most appreciated :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #10,514 of 29,490
I'm buying semi  headphones (closed/semi open, doesnt matter) for hobby studio use and music listening for a low budget, say 50€. Type of music I listen is electronic dance music so solid low end production is essential. Im not really searching for  cans that  have very flat response, because I found such kind of headphones to be very "sterile", boring to listen and to work with. It's also very important that low end section isn't artifical (like you pushed low frequency EQ sliders up a lot) and that it sounds great at small levels.

Till now I've used Superlux 668F and for my taste they have weak low end. I tried to fix that with EQ which only brings that artifical low end rather giving some decent sounding. They also doesn't sound so big, 'in your face' I'd expect.

Which cans should I try?

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #10,515 of 29,490

Quote:
Edit:sorry for the repost, but i only got one response on my first post. Hello. I currently have ath m50s and hd 558 and im unsatisfied with them. I think maybe im just itching for a really good pair of headphones. Thehd 558 and ath m50s just dont have the top of the line claroty that i want. So... Now that thats said an done, i moved my budget to under $300. They must be open, have good bass (i listen to rap, but i dont like bloated bass... Just good balanced bass). They also have to be easy to drive as i will be using the headphones with my sansa fuze. Only exception is if there is a good headphone and amp combo for less than $300. Btw im wantingthese headphones/ headphones and amp combo to be lots better than my ath m50s and hd 558. Thank you so so much for your help and time. God bless.

some Beyerdynamic with low impedance maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back