++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 27, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #10,471 of 29,490
HD650. It should be a solid upgrade in fidelity, rather than a very minor one that you could expect from a better amp. 

Unless you're going after a headphone that requires crazy amping like a HiFiMan HE-6, I maintain that the headphone is a good 80%+ of the overall sound equation.

Quote:
I currently have the Sennheiser HD598 with an ASUS Xonar Essence ST 24bit sound card, should I get the HD650s or go for a new amp?

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #10,472 of 29,490

Quote:
The X-Fi Go should be on line-out into the amp.

As for an amp, the cheapest option for the Q701 to properly power the headphone is the Fiio E9 in my opinion. I'd probably start with that combination. 

E9 sounds like a plan for the home setup. If I stuck with FiiO for a portable amp, would the E11 have the horsepower for the Q701s?

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #10,473 of 29,490
Ah, you needed a portable set-up? Difficult... Hm.

It'll depend on your listening volume, I'd have to say. In many cases, I''d say the Fiio E11 is underpowered for the Q701, which is a notoriously hard to drive headphone. If you feel like you listen at relatively low volumes, I'd say the Fiio E11 is sufficient, but if you like it loud we might have some problems with that set up.

The cheapest portable option after that is the JDSLabs Objective2 amp, but that's more of a "transportable" rather than a portable headphone amp. It's technically portable, but bulky. 

Quote:
E9 sounds like a plan for the home setup. If I stuck with FiiO for a portable amp, would the E11 have the horsepower for the Q701s?

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #10,474 of 29,490

Quote:
Openess isn't an issue. I'm the only one in the building during these hours. Anyone comes by I have to take off the headphones anyway.

I meant for ease of portability. The Q701 is rather large and cumbersome for transport every day. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #10,475 of 29,490

Quote:
Ah, you needed a portable set-up? Difficult... Hm.

It'll depend on your listening volume, I'd have to say. In many cases, I''d say the Fiio E11 is underpowered for the Q701, which is a notoriously hard to drive headphone. If you feel like you listen at relatively low volumes, I'd say the Fiio E11 is sufficient, but if you like it loud we might have some problems with that set up.

The cheapest portable option after that is the JDSLabs Objective2 amp, but that's more of a "transportable" rather than a portable headphone amp. It's technically portable, but bulky. 

Sounds like the Q701s would best be left at home then, Even if I'm all alone, the work environment doesn't appear compatible with their needs.

I don't have the time, skills, or patience to build my own O2, but I'm not averse to pulling the trigger on a prebuilt one for the desktop.

In that case, I'm not really in the market for another portable amp yet, as the E6 does the job so far. So far. The E11 is still up there on my Amazon wish list. 
dt880smile.png

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #10,476 of 29,490

Okay, great. I do like the look a bit, but I'm not willing to pay so much extra. Just to have the Adidas logo and some blue accents on it.
Just hoping that I will love the sound it produces and that it's comfortable.

Edit:
I've tested it in the shop, but I'm quite disappointed. The sound isn't that "loud" as many say. Also I'm not noticing anything different in sound with my PMX100. Ah well, maybe I can't compare it. HD25's design looks good, but is kinda boring (normal version), is sturdy, very light-weight, comfortable. But in my opinion, not so loud in music, I miss some bass, and I don't hear the €100 difference between the HD and mine. But about one thing I'm sure, it sounds clear.

If the HD25 is not what I'm looking for, which one should fit? Need something louder, little more bass..

Quote:
Based on what you said, I would go for the HD25s.. if you like the look, maybe go for the Sennheiser Adidas Originals

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #10,477 of 29,490
Hey guys. I'm looking to get a fairly decent set of headphones on about a $130. But I can probably flex that a bit if I need to. The main usage of this is going to be for gaming as well as watching movies on my PC. Also may use it on my Zune from time to time.

I have been eyeing the Sennheiser HD 555s or 558s, but they are slightly out of my price range it appears so I could settle for the 518s. I've also looked at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, which are highly recommended but I fear that they will slide off my head quite easily. Generally, my most primary concern is comfort and durability. The softer or more cushiony the better. I'm mixed on whether or not to get closed ear or open air, I just want to compare the best recommendation for both for my price range and for my uses. I'm probably just getting a Zalman clip on mic so I don't blow money on gaming headsets that don't perform or last worth a damn.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #10,478 of 29,490

Quote:
I would go with the HD598 or AD900. The former has a little more body to the midbass, the latter a bit more to the midtreble. 

Thanks for the replies; all very helpful. 

I had ranked the HD598 slightly higher than the AD900 as several here mentioned more physical comfort and "ease of listening" of the 598 for extended use, though both seem to have good sound for my classical and jazz interests.

nikp suggested looking for used HD600; I'm concerned that my old Denon DRA-375RD receiver might be lacking, not as good as with a headphone amp (which seems to be needed for the hd600 and especially for the hd650).  My receiver should be sufficient for the hd598/558 or ad900.  Correct?

PurpleAngel suggested Electronics Expo for the HD558 (item seems unavailable this morning, though the hd598 price with coupon is good).  Reviewers here have said the HD598 is preferred over the HD558 for overall sound and somewhat for comfort.  While I don't like paying for the fancy wood inserts on the 598 and realize they share basic components, seems to me that a $30 to $50 price difference is worth it for the sound and comfort advantages.

Further comments appreciated.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #10,479 of 29,490
Edit:sorry for the repost, but i only got one response on my first post. Hello. I currently have ath m50s and hd 558 and im unsatisfied with them. I think maybe im just itching for a really good pair of headphones. Thehd 558 and ath m50s just dont have the top of the line claroty that i want. So... Now that thats said an done, i moved my budget to under $300. They must be open, have good bass (i listen to rap, but i dont like bloated bass... Just good balanced bass). They also have to be easy to drive as i will be using the headphones with my sansa fuze. Only exception is if there is a good headphone and amp combo for less than $300. Btw im wantingthese headphones/ headphones and amp combo to be lots better than my ath m50s and hd 558. Thank you so so much for your help and time. God bless.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #10,480 of 29,490
Since returning to Head-Fi just a couple weeks ago I'm amazed to see how many new headphones and companies there are from just 5 years ago. It's great to see the headphone market grow so big but that also just adds to the frustration of trying to pick up another set, too many choices which is a good/bad thing.

Wanted to get some recommendations for headphones with a ~$250 budget.

I thought about reacquiring some AKG K701's but there is this whole new market of things to try out that I don't know where to start.

I'm not a fan of the Sennheiser signature.

I LOVE the Grado sound. I loved the K701's.

I haven't really tried anything from Beyerdynamic or AudioTechnica and want to find something in that line that I can get comfortable with.

I will be using it with a Fiio E10 but plan to add something beefier down the line, don't get me started on the amount of new amp designs there are now.

I listen to everything so want a good all-arounder but seeing as I have Grados for rock/electronic what is something that will pair well for female vocals, jazz, classical? I'd like to try something that really shines in the midrange.

Thanks for any help.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #10,481 of 29,490
Is there a benefit to high impedance headphones with an amp over easy to drive headphones without (or with something like the E7?).  A good amp is obviously an added cost, and I'm wondering what the overall benefit is vs. just being able to use a specific set of headphones that one particularly wants.  Do high impedance headphones exist so people can get the most out of high quality amps, or do some cans just need to be high impedance because of their style?

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #10,482 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I don't like paying for the fancy wood inserts on the 598 and realize they share basic components, seems to me that a $30 to $50 price difference is worth it for the sound and comfort advantages.

Headfi will have lots of reviews comparing the HD558 and 598 but here is one quick one off site: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #10,483 of 29,490
Currently using the Panasonic RP-HTX7's (in avatar) and looking for an upgrade

I listen to 'math' and 'post' rock (complex melody but quite heavy rock) as well as some electronic/psych type stuff (Caribou, four tet, flying lotus) so a nice bass is good but nothing bass 'boosted', i was looking at the HD598's as i love the look of them but i dont know if theyre suited to my type of music?

The HD598 is the top end of my budget (£150/160) Wich is what like 250USD?

Also considered getting the FiiO E7 not sure if its worth while just now? on sale for £50 on amazon atm

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #10,484 of 29,490
I'm looking for some headphones around $100 ($150 max) and portability is not an issue. I don't have an amp and don't want to buy one and I listen mostly to rock (Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan...).

I love soundstage, details and mids (in that order), and based on my research the AD700s are perfect for me. Are they the best option? My concern is that AD700s aren't always recommended for rock. The SR-60i's are about the same price and considered great for rock, but don't have any soundstage. Do you think the Grados are really that much better for rock, or will the AD700s be fine? Or are there better options?

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #10,485 of 29,490
Quote:
Is there a benefit to high impedance headphones with an amp over easy to drive headphones without (or with something like the E7?).  A good amp is obviously an added cost, and I'm wondering what the overall benefit is vs. just being able to use a specific set of headphones that one particularly wants.  Do high impedance headphones exist so people can get the most out of high quality amps, or do some cans just need to be high impedance because of their style?

If you want really good quality, then a decent source is recommended regardless of the impedance of the headphone you choose. Low impedance may be easy to make loud, but it is actually in many ways harder to drive (in terms of quality).
There are a number of practical reasons why it makes sense to manufacture high impedance headphones, like they pair better with some sources (not battery powered portable ones) that have high output impedance or limited current, allow for lighter voice coils because of the thinner wire, and can reduce the noise/hum picked up from the source due to the lower voltage sensitivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back