++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #10,441 of 29,490
Looking for headphones around $200-300 (£100-150),

What will the headphones be used for:

Gaming
DJ'ing
YouTube Reviews/VLOG
Casual listening, (dubstep, dance mainly but also pop, rock etc quite often.

I own an X-Fi Titanium Sound Card.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #10,442 of 29,490
Looking for headphones around 300-400$

The headphones will be used for serious listening at home (not going to take them out).

I currently have the Bowers and Wilkins P5 and I find those are great for outdoor use but also lack quite a bit in terms of bass and overall I find that synthesized sounds don't come out the best with my P5s.

Therefore I'm looking for something with punchier bass for those other music genres I listen to like pop/dubstep as a complementary headphone to my P5s which I find are fantastic with orchestral music.

Notes:
I live in Canada. Dealers must ship to or be in Canada.
I don't have a good amp, I'd prefer to be able to drive it with my iphone + a small amp like the fiio e5 or my computer (I'm opening to purchase an amp at the same time though).

Current ones I'm looking at:
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Sennheiser HD25-ii
HiFiMAN HE-400 (the pre-order)

From current opinions of a headfier who got his hands on the HE-400s, they don't have the regular hifiman bass which makes them interesting for me.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #10,443 of 29,490
Hi guys.

Here's what i got:
Audinst mx-1
AKG K271 studio
Koss porta pro
AKG ip2
and some other stuff. But question about first two.

I'm thinking of selling the phones and getting something a bit more interesting. I'm listen to alternative rock or club music mostly, however got time to listen a jazz or lounge records in a good quality. 
Doesn't matter how much i can get from my old phones. Just interesting, how much i shoold pay for phones to get a really noticeable differencein SQ. 
I understand that a equal-cost phones sound different. but how much i need to pay to get an inprevement? And what phones i should get? 

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #10,444 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for Bass-Heavy, good looking, well built pairof headphones for around 100€ ( 50+, 50- ). I listen to Dubstep and DnB. I'll be using them on a bus to school and at home just for music, not for gaming.

Thanks, Erik

wait for v-moda m-100 I have similar desires plus for gaming. Also there is the D1100.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #10,445 of 29,490

Quote:

Gaming
DJ'ing
YouTube Reviews/VLOG

same for you I'd wait for the v-moda m-100 or go with the pioneer hdj-2000

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #10,446 of 29,490
Posted originally in Mad Lust Envy's DH thread, any suggestions would be very much appreciated:

Hey guys,
So, I've been researching over the past couple of weeks trying to decide on a new set of cans, but am having a hard time figuring out which I even want to try out. Basically, they will be used 50% of the time for competitive FPS gaming, 30% single player/movies, and 20% music (mostly hip-hop/rap/dubstep).

I've had AD-700's for ~6 months now, and while they are definitely nice on the competitive side of things, they obviously leave a lot to be desired when it comes to SP, movies, and my preferred music. I don't need or want overwhelming bass, just enough so it's "fun" when I'm not playing competitively, and isn't too much when I am.

As of right now, I've broken it down to the HD-598, AKG Q/K7xx, Beyer DT990 (600/250/pro), Beyer DT 880 (600, 250, pro), and the Brainwavz HM5's<<< closed, but I've read they have a pretty decent soundstage>>> but I'm open to suggestions.

I understand the AKG's and Beyer's are probably going to need more power than what the Mixamp brings, so would it be worth it to get those without an extra amp or even with a cheaper desktop one like the E9, over say the HD598's/HM5's? Or should I get something like the E9 even with the Senn's/Brainwavz, as well (especially for listening to music)?

Willing to go up to $300~ or so (on the phones alone), but would like to stay as close to 200 bucks as possible. Probably going to decide on two to order and try them out.

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #10,447 of 29,490
hi guys, first post here! hope u all are having a good xmas!

anyway, i'm a newbie at the world of higher end sounds, and i recently made a dive into it coz i have some spare cash xD i got myself a nuforce icon hd usb dac/headphone amp. now the big question remain, which headphone should i pair it up? i was considering the following headphones:

sennheiser hd 650
audio technica ath-w1000x
akg q701

i listen to all kinds of music really. in particular new age, rock, pop.

thanks for the heads up!

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #10,448 of 29,490
Yeesh, here I was naively thinking the questions might slow down for the holidays... 

Quote:
Ok, so I'm looking to make my first expensive headphone purchase.  I'm going to buy the Sennheiser Hd598 to go along with the Nuforce Icon Udac 2.  I plan on using my computer as my source, however I also plan on using the headphones for when I play call of duty, will i be able to run the sound thru the Nuforce and then to the headphones?

Yes. Just make sure you have the uDac2 set as your default sound device. 

Quote:
As far as amps go, what's the difference between the FiiO E7 and the FiiO E11?

Both amps will be enough to power the 250 ohm version, correct?

The e7 is a dac/amp while the e11 is amp only. The E11 amp circuitry is technically more advanced and should do a better job pushing the Beyer. On the other hand, the dac in the e7 is nice when you're running off a computer or laptop, and the battery life is much longer.

Quote:
Hi guys I'm about to travel in next Wednesday, going to France and Italy, and I'm thinking about in buying one new pair of headphones. The budget is 300 Eur and I'm probably buy them online.

I want a warm, detailed sound with a good bass(not boomy) a prominent mid and detailed but no over presenced high's. A big wide and well separed soundstage would be nice too, and for this, I prefer open headphones(I'm not going to use them for mobile purposes, just to list to music in my setup).

I usually listen to rock, indie rock and most of it's ramifications(bands like Yes, pink Floyd, radio head, RHCP, creedence, Clapton).

I have the Dt880 600 ohms version, and I like them, but this time I want lesser bright sound signature... So I thought in the Senn Hd6xx series(especially the 650). Will they be a good choice for me?

To listen to music I use a Ld MK III or FiiO e9 connected to a FiiO E7(unfortunately buying an amp or dac is not an option in these countries).

The Senn HD6xx is an excellent choice.

Quote:
Right. So I'm gathering so far its probably going to be a tossup between say the AD900/AD1000s, K/Q701, DT880s.... anything else I should be looking at? For those that need amping I'll probably pair them up with the Matrix M-Stage, for those that don't will probably just be going straight out from the X-Fi Ti HD (which can take up with 300ohms via its amp).

So yea, any others I should look at? Music preference is as above, trance/house/techno/dubstep/dnb/rock/pop plus also tv, movies and gaming (but mostly music and tv/movies).

Budget could be anywhere between $400-600, don't really mind. A setup like the K701s + M-Stage would be ~$550ish.

Edit: Gotta also be very comfortable as I use them every day, but I imagine most high ish end headphones like this would  be comfortable anyways.

So yea, thoughts? Any other cans I should consider? Thanks :) 

Edit2: what about the HE-400s? Just read about them, sounds pretty decent, should be around the same price when specced with a Matrix?

For those electronic genres, I'd say the Beyer would be the most satisfactory of the bunch.

I haven't heard of the HE-400... do you mean the HE-4 or the HE-500? They've got good reviews, although I think that'll be pushing too far out of your budget.

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice

I have narrowed  my choice down to either the Beyer DT 1350's without an amp  or DT 770's with a cheapish amp.
The 1350's are out of my budget, but I hope that after Christmas there will some sales occurring.

In a toss up between the two, which would you guys choose?

Thanks again.

DT1350 - portable on-ear, strong clamp, neutral sound
DT770 - full sized over-ear, bassy sound

Unless you really need the portability, go with the DT770 and stay within budget.

Quote:
Hi

Im looking for a new pair of headphones i wanna upgrade from my sennheiser HD-428 im looking for a closed headphone preferably more on the neutral side. I have done some research and have found two possible solutions the TMA-I or the AKG K550. My price range is up to $300 i listen to mostly hiphop and reggae. I have a fiio e11 so amping wouldn't be a problem. Im just wondering if the headphones i mentioned would be a good choice or if i should look at something else any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

I was not a fan of the TMA-1. Just a murky sound with vocals that get lost.  If you check out the K550 thread, incoming reviews are a bit mixed. Popular alternatives would seem to be the KRK 6400/8400 and Shure 940.

Quote:
I am looking to get into a nice headphones setup. I have a budget of $350 for headphones (can be less). I have no problem in buying a DAC or AMP if needed. I am looking at the Schiit products to take care of that. All of my music is on my iMac (digital format) and I do have SPDIF that I plan to use. This will not be portable, home only.

I mostly listen to in no order:
Death Metal, Post Rock, and Acoustic (plus sub genres) most often. I do listen to classical or jazz depending on mood. I have a very broad musical interest. I guess it would be easier for me to have said what I don't listen to and that is Rap or Country. 

I prefer closed headphone so others don't hear what I am listening to if possible. Comfort is a big thing for me since I expect I will spend many hours at a time with them on. Used mostly while surfing the web or reading books. I do not listen to very loud volume. Even though its not very loud in my house some noise isolation will be great.

I hope that was short and to the point to help someone figure out what to suggest. I have spent a few hours surfing around this site but its a bit overwhelming so I thought I would ask for help for my situation.

Thanks
Larry

The first thing that pops to mind in an Ultrasone. Maybe the HFi 780 would fit the bill. Decent isolation, and no need for extra amping. 

Quote:
I am looking for a pair of over the ear headphones that can block out background sound pretty good as I plan to use them while I detail cars at work (the power washer and compressor are very loud). I also move around a lot so they can't have a loose fit on my head. I am willing to spend between 50 and 100 dollars on them. I will be plugging them into my old HTC Windows 7 phone that I use for music only. The headphones cant be bass heavy.

Thanks

-Elliott

The Senn HD280 is the best isolating headphone in your budget (or even double/triple your budget for that matter). Would you be ok with IEMs? They provide far better isolation than any headphones will. 

Quote:
Looking for an alternative to Denon-AHD2000

considered but not getting Ultrasone Pro 900 (reading around uncomfortable, made of plastic)

Any other suggestions from the $200 and under price range?

Also, would the Denon-AHD5000 big upgrade to the Denon-AHD2000?

I've heard both; it's not a huge difference, although the aesthetic is much nicer. If your budget is in the D5000 range... maybe the Beyer T70/T70p?

Quote:
Ok, I've been in the hunt for something for awhile.  I'll try this thread out and see what you guys have to say.  Any suggestions are welcome, even if I am picky :)

I need a full sized headphone that ACTUALLY isolates well passively.  I've heard a lot of closed headphones that people said isolated well, but they only accounted for how much outside noise was blocked...not how much the headphones actually leaked.  I want a portable (or I guess even semi-portable, considering I use the 940 as a portable at times right now) headphone that does a stellar job at containing the music (essentially avoids leaking sound as much as possible).  I intend to use this headphone on the likes of buses, trains, planes, and in libraries.  I'd prefer to be polite and not bother other people with my music, but I'd like to not have to be too volume conscious either.

My current portables are the Senn HD448 and Shure SRH-940.  I adore both (even though they sound like polar opposites) but quite frankly both of these phones leak a bit.  The 940 leaks a ton. So yea, I am in the market for a new headphone that can be driven from a lame to semi-lame source (iPod or portable amplifier like a FiiO e11 or something comparable).  My budget is currently about $300 USD, but that doesn't mean I will rule out options that fit my needs that cost substantially less.

I listen to mostly alternative rock, instrumental, and folk music with some jazz and classical.  Sometimes I sneak in some aggressive rock music and hip hop.  More importantly, I prefer a sound that has a flatter character, and if there is an emphasis I generally prefer it to be in the treble... although peaky treble is my arch enemy.  I'm picky with my bass as well.  "one note" bass just won't cut it for me, and bass that bleeds into the midranges makes me cry as well.  The bass doesn't necessarily have to be impactful or tonal (either is fine), I just want it to have some texture.  I'm mostly a detail head that prefers balance of hamonics (to achieve a natural timbre).  I LOVE my mids, and it seems forward mids sit just fine with me.  I'd prefer to avoid V or U shaped character.

Here are the CLOSED phones I have tried, so no need to recommend those unless it is in reference.

Ultrasone: HFI580/680/780 - all of them had strange mids to me and the soundstage seemed artificial, at least with my crappy source (iPod, demoed in store).  780 was the best of the three if I HAD to choose.

Sennheiser: HD448 (own) - doesn't fit my description of the type of sound I like necessarily, but I love it nontheless and is my current "plug and play".  Real easy listening type headphone, I can throw it on and forget about it.
                 HD428/438- I found them inferior to the 448 in every regard, except that the 438 had a bit more bass (but not better).
                 HD238 - Lame soundstage, didn't isolate THAT well and was on ear (I just don't prefer on-ear).
                 HD-25 I-II - Fantastic sound honestly, if the damn things were just more comfortable and were over ear.  I also thought they were a little bit dark despite having some sparkle up top and maybe even some U character.  They could have isolated a little better as well, although the leakage was pretty good.
                 HD280/380 - I actually preferred the 280 to the 380.  The 280 had a little more sparkle in the treble and I actually thought it was better balanced.  The HD380 had big bass, both in impact and in size (meaning it bled into the low mids, IMO).  Ergonomically, the 380 was sweet though, having that case and being foldable and all.  Either way, they didn't fit the bill.  I actually noticed a subtle veil/smearing in the 380 treble on my portable setup (FiiO e7 from iPod classic) in string notes.
                PX 360 (owned these in the past).  Okay, these headphones have still leaked the least to ANY I have tried.  These are one of the few sets that just did not leak at all at normal listening volumes.  Ergonomically they are awesome as well... built solid, collapse into a small package.  Problem?  They just sounded weird to me.  Big bass, recessed low mids, strange vocal peak, rolled off highs.  Gah, so close....  they were even insanely easy to drive.  The sound was really energetic and bright, and I still find myself recommending them to people who want high energy, portability and isolation.  They just didn't fit me well.
Shure: SRH-440 - Honestly these guys weren't that bad.  The comfort was average at best, I don't think they folded or anything (ergonomically average) and the isolation was okay.  They seemed easy to drive and all.  I guess I just prefer the HD448!  No reason to get these
          SRH-840 - Not bad, isolated pretty well...  the midbass hump is pretty prominant and the comfort wasn't good.  Ergonomically they were poor.  These guys are just bricks. I liked the balanced treble response, but the bass was bleh and the midbass was a bit much for me.  I think I can do better.
          SRH-940 (own) - Yeah, I really like them.  They are far from balanced, but the treble is silky and it has a lot of strengths.  They leak a lot, and ergonomically are average at best (kinda big, but at least foldable, detachable cable and good case).  If these didn't leak, they'd be a clear winner.  In fact, it is only because these leak a lot that I am even shopping for a new quality portable.
Beyerdynamic: DT770 32 ohm - These have a pretty big sound and isolate quite well.  Not my style for the U shape character, but the bass was sweet.  The highs sounded stranded... I couldn't do these as a portable even if I recognize them as solid.
Denon: Lol, NOT portable even if they claim to be closed and easy to drive.  Won't bother talking about the D2000
Audiotechnica: ATH-M50 - I just didn't like it.  Bass didn't cut it for me and the mids were too recessed.  Fun? Maybe.  Not my style at all.  If I am going to go U shaped I feel like there are better options with my budget (like the DT770 or Pro750/900)
I tried some phiaton model too, but I hardly remember it (so it likely wasn't impressive).

I'm sure I forgot some headphones that I've demoed.  I bought the KRK KNS-8400 as a gift for someone, and honestly it is still the best can I have heard that doesn't leak at decent listening volumes, and is superior in terms of ergonomics.  I don't have a problem getting a set for myself, I just want to make sure I am not missing out on something given my budget. 

Cans I am interested in hearing people's impressions of:
PRO-750: Good bass that is thick but doesn't bleed and is controlled?  S-logic isn't out of control, mids aren't weird?  Not sibilant or peaky?  ISOLATION??  Easy to drive I've heard?  Comfy?
AKG 272HD: Yea, not foldable or that ergonomic, but how is the isolation?  I hear the detail is great and the treble is slightly emphasized (good, potentially).  I'm sure the comfort is fine.  Thoughts??
AKG K550: Yea, yea, brand new and no one knows much.  Does anyone have anything to say about these?  So far there have just been postings of bright and thin treble, but impressive soundstage for being closed.  AKG claims they isolate well....

Thanks for reading this long post and helping out, if you have insight.  Anything helps.  I've done a fair share of searching the threads, so just let me know what comes to YOUR mind or things you have heard.

Well you've certainly run the gamut of headphones... some thoughts on the last few you listed...
Pro750: Verging on slightly too bassy for me, but it doesn't bleed too much. Mids are still a little funny, like all the Ultrasones. I did not find the treble peaky. Isolation is good; basically the same as all the other Pro models. Also quite easy to drive.
K272HD: I'm assuming this is the same as the K271? Very good isolation; can't say about leakage, bit of a midbass hump like the K240, bass feels like it rolls off a little sooner though. Comfort is better than the K701

Have you tried the Beyer DT1350 or T50p? Very strong isolation, the DT1350 is the more neutral sound, T50p is a bit more trebly and doesn't clamp as hard. More thoughts in the review linked in my sig. 

Quote:

Hey all. I am having my birthday soon and I am getting around 400$, and I decided to spend it on headphones.
I listen to music almost all day long and all my free time. Right now I have the AKG K518DJ, and they're awsome but they hurt my head and ears. I listen to music from my computer and my iphone. I need a recommendation for a 400$ headphones wich would sound AMAZING, with high sound quiality. Noise isolation isent nessesery. I've got my eyes (ears :) on the Beats by Dre Pro, AKG K702, Sennheiser HD650. AKG K702 is kinda out of th e question since everyone say they're quite natual and they don't have bass, but they're open backed, so they have quite the sound on them.
I am REALLY lost, please help...
Also, I have no place to test any of these headphones since in Israel, headphones arent too popular :frowning2:
I mainly listen to pop and R&B and I am a fan of bass :)
I am also using glasses, and I am planing on taking the cans on long journeys..
So...
1) Price: up to 400$ (but if its a deal breaker I dont care another 50$).

2) I listen to pop and R&B (Selena Gomez, Christina Aguilera, Maroon 5, Beyonce, Lily Allen, Glee, Bruno Mars, Emily Osment, etc.)

3) They can't be too ugly. aesthetically pleasing.

4) Noise isolating is NOT a must. They need to have basic noise reduction so I wont hear pepole talking on the train or the plain's noise, etc, but they does not have to cancel any noise so I wont be able to hear anything from the outside.

5) They must be comfterable, unlike my K518DJ wich hurts... Prefered around the ear, not on ear since (I guess) it's more comfterable. I am using glasses so they can't be too preasury.

6) Sound quiality must be mindblowing :) Good bass, warm mids and good highs. I also want to be able to hear every insterment. Like the background violents, I think it's called Insterment Saturation?

7) Size dosen't matter at all. If its tiny, if its HUGE, if its heavy or light, aslong as it's over ear, not inside, but I do preffer it big, or HUGE. 

Thanks for the help :)

One of my favourites it eh Pioneer HDJ-2000. Bass tipped, great aesthetics, moderate isolation. I've also done some modding to them which improves the sound quality further.

Quote:

UPDATE WILLING TO PURCHASE A ULTRA PORTABLE AMP- IGNORE PREVIOUS POST

I am a avid reader of this blog, however just decided to join as I officially decided I need a pair of headphones, my current noise isolating ear buds are not cutting it for me anymore. I currently use the klipsch s4 ear buds. However, want something which depicts the bass more accurately. 

Requirements

1) The headphones must be portable as they will be used  mainly with my computer at work or with my Ipod when traveling on a plane or train, however I am willing to purchase a portable AMP (FIO E5 maybe?, since seems ultra portable)

2) I listen to music in all genres, mainly jazz/blues, classic rock, and Dave Matthews Band (JAM BAND?). However, I do occasionally listen to heavy bass music (rap/house) but, this would only be approximately 10-20% of my music listening in a week.

3) Price range is $300 -350

4) Would like them to be aesthetically pleasing.

5) It must isolate out the sound of the train/plane, does not necessarily have to be noise canceling. Therefore, I believe they need to be closed/sealed. I am not worried about the sound leaking too much, although it would be nice if the headphones do not leak much. 

6) I wear glasses, so for comfort sake I would prefer circumaural headphones as I have heard the closed on-ear headphones clamp more.

Any suggestions? 

I like the look of the Klipsch Mode M40 but I haven't seen any reviews because of how recent the headphones were released.

Senn HD380: great isolation, comfortable, portable and comes with a travel case.

Quote:
First post, hello world.

Great thread... here's my noob post:

Budget: ~$300, less is always nice if its a better deal.
Open/Closed: Doesn't really matter
Music: jazz, folk, blues, rock n roll, lots of live music SBDs/AUDs/Matrix, also electronic music as well as soul/hip-hop/r&b.
- Also will be used with recording my sax.
- Would appreciate comfort as i wear glasses.

I'll probably pick up an amp if its a good idea, for using on my laptop, recs are welcome. Not really aware of having a preference of a certain "color" or whatnot of the sound.

Thanks and merry holidays...

KRK 6400
Shure 940
AKG K701

Quote:
It's been about 2 years since my last big spend on audio equipment. So here is what I have, Pico DAC > Headroom Micro Amp > HD 650.  What is the weakest link in that setup? I am looking for more soundstage and perhaps a bit more bass. Budget of three grand.

With that kind of budget, skip us plebians in here and head over to the high end forum...

If you're just going to upgrade a single piece, I'd say get new headphones. Pick a flagship, any flagship. 

Quote:
Hey everyone, my cousin has 155$ worth of credit on Amazon, and he's looking for a pair of heaphones.

They need to be over-ear, and can be open or closed (Will only be using them at home)
He usually listens to just rock and metal.
Does not like Grado headphones.
Amping is not a problem.
Need to be available on Amazon.

Anything else, just ask.

Sennheiser HD558

Quote:
I'm looking for Bass-Heavy, good looking, well built pairof headphones for around 100€ ( 50+, 50- ). I listen to Dubstep and DnB. I'll be using them on a bus to school and at home just for music, not for gaming.

Thanks, Erik

Pioneer HDJ-500
AKG K181
Ultrasone HFi-580
Sony XB700

Quote:
Hi! 

Ive desided to get myself some proper Headphones + DAC and Ive had a couple of stuff in my mind. But I have to say, Im pretty rubbish on Hi Fi :p. Currently I own Denon AH-D2000 + Xonar Essence STX soundcard which doesnt satify me alot anymore.
Ive thought about getting the Burson HA 160D with either HD800 or Audeze LCD 2!
I listen to all types of music but not metal and rock. Mostly electronica, house, and guitarish songs. 

What would you guys recommend me?
Budget is around 3000 USD

Thank you

Burson HA160D + LCD-2... then cry for a little bit over your poor abused wallet. 

Quote:

Gaming
DJ'ing
YouTube Reviews/VLOG

Ultrasone Pro 750/900

Quote:
Looking for headphones around 300-400$
The headphones will be used for serious listening at home (not going to take them out).
I currently have the Bowers and Wilkins P5 and I find those are great for outdoor use but also lack quite a bit in terms of bass and overall I find that synthesized sounds don't come out the best with my P5s.
Therefore I'm looking for something with punchier bass for those other music genres I listen to like pop/dubstep as a complementary headphone to my P5s which I find are fantastic with orchestral music.
Notes:
I live in Canada. Dealers must ship to or be in Canada.
I don't have a good amp, I'd prefer to be able to drive it with my iphone + a small amp like the fiio e5 or my computer (I'm opening to purchase an amp at the same time though).
Current ones I'm looking at:
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Sennheiser HD25-ii
HiFiMAN HE-400 (the pre-order)
From current opinions of a headfier who got his hands on the HE-400s, they don't have the regular hifiman bass which makes them interesting for me.

Options are terrible here in Canada. How about a Beyer DT990? It has a V shaped sound with plenty of energy, and is easily found in any music store (like Long & McQuade)

Quote:
Hi guys.

Here's what i got:
Audinst mx-1
AKG K271 studio
Koss porta pro
AKG ip2
and some other stuff. But question about first two.

I'm thinking of selling the phones and getting something a bit more interesting. I'm listen to alternative rock or club music mostly, however got time to listen a jazz or lounge records in a good quality. 
Doesn't matter how much i can get from my old phones. Just interesting, how much i shoold pay for phones to get a really noticeable differencein SQ. 
I understand that a equal-cost phones sound different. but how much i need to pay to get an inprevement? And what phones i should get? 

It's a horrible game of diminishing returns. In my experience you're spending roughly double to start finding noticeable "improvements", and even then half the time it might be placebo. I'm happier sticking within the same budget realm and playing with different sounds.

Quote:
Posted originally in Mad Lust Envy's DH thread, any suggestions would be very much appreciated:

Hey guys,
So, I've been researching over the past couple of weeks trying to decide on a new set of cans, but am having a hard time figuring out which I even want to try out. Basically, they will be used 50% of the time for competitive FPS gaming, 30% single player/movies, and 20% music (mostly hip-hop/rap/dubstep).

I've had AD-700's for ~6 months now, and while they are definitely nice on the competitive side of things, they obviously leave a lot to be desired when it comes to SP, movies, and my preferred music. I don't need or want overwhelming bass, just enough so it's "fun" when I'm not playing competitively, and isn't too much when I am.

As of right now, I've broken it down to the HD-598, AKG Q/K7xx, Beyer DT990 (600/250/pro), Beyer DT 880 (600, 250, pro), and the Brainwavz HM5's<<< closed, but I've read they have a pretty decent soundstage>>> but I'm open to suggestions.

I understand the AKG's and Beyer's are probably going to need more power than what the Mixamp brings, so would it be worth it to get those without an extra amp or even with a cheaper desktop one like the E9, over say the HD598's/HM5's? Or should I get something like the E9 even with the Senn's/Brainwavz, as well (especially for listening to music)?

Willing to go up to $300~ or so (on the phones alone), but would like to stay as close to 200 bucks as possible. Probably going to decide on two to order and try them out.

The e9 should be enough power for any of those. Also add the AD900 to your shopping list. 

I would say the Senn is probably the most popular choice for sound, and doesn't require extra amping either which is easier on the wallet. 

Quote:
hi guys, first post here! hope u all are having a good xmas!

anyway, i'm a newbie at the world of higher end sounds, and i recently made a dive into it coz i have some spare cash xD i got myself a nuforce icon hd usb dac/headphone amp. now the big question remain, which headphone should i pair it up? i was considering the following headphones:

sennheiser hd 650
audio technica ath-w1000x
akg q701

i listen to all kinds of music really. in particular new age, rock, pop.

thanks for the heads up!

I wasn't a big fan of the W1000x. It was ok, but expensive. The AKG is good, but not that involving. The Senn would be my pick out of the bunch.

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #10,449 of 29,490
I've already started a thread in 'Portable Headphones & IEM's, but maybe it will be more appropriate in here?

Copy-paste;

This is my first post on this forum, but I read a lot threads when just passing by or getting information from specific products.
I hope I will get the necessary info to choose the right headphone for my purpose.
I'm aware there will be a lot of threads like mine, but I need some specific advice for buying the right stuff.

First of all, I have to say I'm kinda new with the audio(logical) terms here. But I'm open for new stuff and interests so will learn quickly.

This will be the first time I'll buy a headphone in the higher price-category. I used to walk around for about 4 years with a Sennheiser PMX 100 (neckband), and it costs me just €50. I'm quite amazed by the service of Sennheiser (actually the shop) but also the brand itself. The problem I had with the PMX100 was that the cable did snap when connected with my iPod Touch. It got fixed 3 times, the 4th time I got a brand new one.
But now I'm having some other problems, the clamp is less strong, and its sliding off little by little. So I get pain on my ears when listening more than 1 hour.

So I'm up for a new pair. This time I want to go for on-ear headphones, much more comfortable.
I'm not into IEM's or over-ear. It has to be portable at all time. Even when I'm not listening, I will lay them around my neck. I will wear them always when going outside, in public, on the streets, on the train, in every weather condition, every single day ^^. So they need to be sturdy.

The genres of music I'm listening to:
-Hiphop / R&B
-Dance / some bass (and a little dnb of Pendulum)
-Alternative / some Rock
-Soundtracks of movies !
I won't use it for games, or whatever. Just music listed above / movies with my iTouch. Maybe sometimes connected with my notebook, but that's rather occasionally.

So, I need some bass I guess, and all-round good music quality.

Conclusion:
- it has to be portable, on-ear, no huge shells
- comfortable, I'm not wearing glasses so, that won't give any problems most of the time. Will wear them for about 3-4 hours a day.
- has to be sturdy, cuz I will wear them even it's raining.
- quality is important because it will cost some money ofc.
- cable needs to be thick (I kinda liked the ones from Beats by thickness),
- its a plus when it has a 45/90° connector (I will use it with an iPod Touch).
- design is a plus, I like to have some nice looking hp's with good sound quality.
- not willing to use an amp, cuz I don't know so much of it, and it needs to be portable.

Last but not least: BUDGET. First my budget was €100 tops, but then I pulled it up to approx. €200.

After going to the local shop I was into Beats Solo (HD). I thought this would be THE ONE!!, but after reading some articles here and from google I'm kinda disappointed in the build and sound quality for that price. So no Beats for me, but they look really good I have to admit.

I've searched and searched for days, hours and came up with this models:

- Sennheiser HD25-1 II (€166 local shop, €137 online)
- V-Moda Crossfade M-80 (€178 online)
- AIAIAI TMA-1 (€141 online)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 (this design isn't what quite my thingy, the 3 above are what I'm aiming for)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (actually over-ear, so less interesting)
- Beyerdynamic DT1350 (actually out-of-budget, but just to compare)

Which will fit for me? Or maybe something else I haven't listed. Also I've got to mention, I always want to try them before buying.
Ofcourse when its possible.

I'm really stuck now, it's going to be the Senn, V-Moda or the AIAIAI. Or something else..

Also I'd like to know from owners of these hp's to compare it with the HD25-1 II or to compare it to each other.
Just to have a good impression for what I'm buying for.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #10,450 of 29,490

Quote:
I've already started a thread in 'Portable Headphones & IEM's, but maybe it will be more appropriate in here?

Copy-paste;

This is my first post on this forum, but I read a lot threads when just passing by or getting information from specific products.
I hope I will get the necessary info to choose the right headphone for my purpose.
I'm aware there will be a lot of threads like mine, but I need some specific advice for buying the right stuff.

First of all, I have to say I'm kinda new with the audio(logical) terms here. But I'm open for new stuff and interests so will learn quickly.

This will be the first time I'll buy a headphone in the higher price-category. I used to walk around for about 4 years with a Sennheiser PMX 100 (neckband), and it costs me just €50. I'm quite amazed by the service of Sennheiser (actually the shop) but also the brand itself. The problem I had with the PMX100 was that the cable did snap when connected with my iPod Touch. It got fixed 3 times, the 4th time I got a brand new one.
But now I'm having some other problems, the clamp is less strong, and its sliding off little by little. So I get pain on my ears when listening more than 1 hour.

So I'm up for a new pair. This time I want to go for on-ear headphones, much more comfortable.
I'm not into IEM's or over-ear. It has to be portable at all time. Even when I'm not listening, I will lay them around my neck. I will wear them always when going outside, in public, on the streets, on the train, in every weather condition, every single day ^^. So they need to be sturdy.

The genres of music I'm listening to:
-Hiphop / R&B
-Dance / some bass (and a little dnb of Pendulum)
-Alternative / some Rock
-Soundtracks of movies !
I won't use it for games, or whatever. Just music listed above / movies with my iTouch. Maybe sometimes connected with my notebook, but that's rather occasionally.

So, I need some bass I guess, and all-round good music quality.

Conclusion:
- it has to be portable, on-ear, no huge shells
- comfortable, I'm not wearing glasses so, that won't give any problems most of the time. Will wear them for about 3-4 hours a day.
- has to be sturdy, cuz I will wear them even it's raining.
- quality is important because it will cost some money ofc.
- cable needs to be thick (I kinda liked the ones from Beats by thickness),
- its a plus when it has a 45/90° connector (I will use it with an iPod Touch).
- design is a plus, I like to have some nice looking hp's with good sound quality.
- not willing to use an amp, cuz I don't know so much of it, and it needs to be portable.

Last but not least: BUDGET. First my budget was €100 tops, but then I pulled it up to approx. €200.

After going to the local shop I was into Beats Solo (HD). I thought this would be THE ONE!!, but after reading some articles here and from google I'm kinda disappointed in the build and sound quality for that price. So no Beats for me, but they look really good I have to admit.

I've searched and searched for days, hours and came up with this models:

- Sennheiser HD25-1 II (€166 local shop, €137 online)
- V-Moda Crossfade M-80 (€178 online)
- AIAIAI TMA-1 (€141 online)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 (this design isn't what quite my thingy, the 3 above are what I'm aiming for)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (actually over-ear, so less interesting)
- Beyerdynamic DT1350 (actually out-of-budget, but just to compare)

Which will fit for me? Or maybe something else I haven't listed. Also I've got to mention, I always want to try them before buying.
Ofcourse when its possible.

I'm really stuck now, it's going to be the Senn, V-Moda or the AIAIAI. Or something else..

Also I'd like to know from owners of these hp's to compare it with the HD25-1 II or to compare it to each other.
Just to have a good impression for what I'm buying for.

Thanks in advance.

Based on what you said, I would go for the HD25s.. if you like the look, maybe go for the Sennheiser Adidas Originals

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #10,451 of 29,490
Hello everyone,
Very informative posts on this forum.  I’m looking for open-back headphones to use with a Denon DRA-375RD receiver listening to classical and jazz in my usually quiet living room.  Hope that I don't need a separate headphone amp.  Budget is 150 to 250 USD.   After much reading here, I’m leaning towards the following, in order of current preference:

Sennheiser hd598
ATH ad900
Sennheiser hd558
AKG k702—don't know if my receiver’s headphone amp is optimal for these.

Any thoughts/advice on these and suggestions for others to consider will be appreciated.  Tell me if any other information would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
--Bob

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #10,452 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,
Very informative posts on this forum.  I’m looking for open-back headphones to use with a Denon DRA-375RD receiver listening to classical and jazz in my usually quiet living room.  Hope that I don't need a separate headphone amp.  Budget is 150 to 250 USD.   After much reading here, I’m leaning towards the following, in order of current preference:

Sennheiser hd598
ATH ad900
Sennheiser hd558
AKG k702—don't know if my receiver’s headphone amp is optimal for these.

Any thoughts/advice on these and suggestions for others to consider will be appreciated.  Tell me if any other information would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
--Bob

HD600. For the budget, you can look for a used pair on the sales forum.

Nikp

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #10,453 of 29,490
Hello. I currently have ath m50s and hd 558 and im unsatisfied with them. I think maybe im just itching for a really good pair of headphones. Thehd 558 and ath m50s just dont have the top of the line claroty that i want. So... Now that thats said an done, i moved my budget to under $300. They must be open, have good bass (i listen to rap, but i dont like bloated bass... Just good balanced bass). They also have to be easy to drive as i will be using the headphones with my sansa fuze. Only exception is if there is a good headphone and amp combo for less than $300. Btw im wantingthese headphones/ headphones and amp combo to be lots better than my ath m50s and hd 558. Thank you so so much for your help and time. God bless.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #10,454 of 29,490
Might be comparing apples to oranges: a few weeks ago I picked up the triple fi 10's; they sound good, but I'm not really wearing them much. As it stands now I keep going back to my Grados. It would be nice to have something isolating/portable though, which is why I'm thinking about selling off the IE10's for some HD 25-1's. Mostly listen to alternative, punk, rock and some surf music (along with using them as occasional studio monitors)...not sure how well these would be suited for that. Any input on this or other options would be appreciated. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #10,455 of 29,490
Hey everyone
I am thinking about buying a new pair of headphones for under $60 plus shipping.
I have read some of the threads and am thinking about the Beyer DT235, JVC HA-RX700, Creative Auvurna, Pioneer SE-MJ5, or the Maxell DHP-II. I am sure that I haven't listed a few other good options out there.

If an amp and a headphone can be fitted into the budget, that can be another option also.
I listen to music of any genre such as R&B, Hip-Hop, classical, Soul, etc. on the Ipod Touch.

Prefer closed cans with decent noise isolation and comfort.
What would you experts recommend?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back