++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #10,276 of 29,490
Just got an extra bonus from work so I can pull the trigger on my next headphone purchase. The Candidates are:

AKG Q701 (The lime green are a good $20 cheaper than the black or white on Amazon tonight)

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

V-Moda Crossfade M-80

Price isn't really a big deal, as I want all three (or at least I think I do. I still need to be educated as to what's proper gear for my sources and tastes).

My current headphones are the Grado SR-60i, amped by a FiiO E6. Source devices are an iPhone 4S, 5th Gen iPod, an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop, and a home-built PC with the AsRock P67 Extreme 4 motherboard. Thanks to iTunes Match, the vast majority of my library is 256kbps AAC. I tend towards Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, Primus, and New Wave, with a touch of the funk when the urge hits me. Deep Tracks and 1st Wave are my go-to stations on XM.

I have a set of A151 IEMs already inbound, so that avenue is covered.

I'm looking for soething a bit more isolating and not as open, so I'm not broadcasting to everyone around. Not that there's anyone around here before 5am anyway. 
L3000.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #10,277 of 29,490

Quote:
Holy cow Armaegis!!!  Thanks  for answering all these posts.  It is greatly appreciated.  I'll try searching, but could you point me out to any threads about the mods for these respective cans.  Also, I'm lucky enough  to be able to try these headphones for about a week and was wondering if any of these sound significantly different after break in.  I got the sennheiser hd-25's  today,  and they seem a little too bass heavy for me.  It seems like some of the vocals are getting overshadowed by them.  What are your opinions on the beyerdynamics dt 1350 compared to the cans I'm considering ( do those things ever go below 300?)

Thanks again

No specific threads on modding, just a couple posts here and there. Shoot me a pm if you'd like more info on that, though keep in mind that these do involve opening the headphones up. 

Check my profile for a review comparing the HD25 vs DT1350 amoung others. 

Quote:

Very very much appreciate the reply. Was afraid nobody was going to see it :p

How do all of those compare for rock / metal to the HD 25-1 II? I really was looking at the DT770s and almost had my heart set, but then came across the HD 25's and they seem portable, don't require an amp (making them significantly cheaper), and supposedly have a very forward sound for rock and metal like Grados. With that said, I'm one who believes in getting what you pay for. Would the amp + DT 770 be a better buy than the HD 25s in the long haul? Would probably pick up an E7 or E10, would those be enough? I know the E7/E9 combo works great and I would probably pick up an E9 next month.

Definitely going to look into the LP2s, look very cool imo.

Edit: Not too interested in the M80s or LP2s.
Also curious about DT 770s with a cMoy or PA2V2? Problem with the PA2V2 would be the wait that would be included. :\ Impatient haha.

I would say the HD25 is a better headphone than the LP2/HFi580/DT770 for rock. Those three are all bass heavy; what you want for rock/metal is a more V-shaped sound.

In the big Beyer family, I would say the DT990 is the most rock oriented one of the family. Of the Ultrasones, maybe the Pro750 or HFi780.

Quote:
Hey guys, I have never owned a decent pair of headphones so this is a bit overwhelming for me as I have never heard of most of these brands. I apologize if my request is a bit generic but I am just looking for something in $150 range give or take. I want some comfortable over the ear ones with decent all around sound as I listen to all kinds of music mostly rock, hip hop, and techno. So far I am leaning towards the ATH M50's but I have seen some people say they are outdated. All I am going to use it for is to listen to songs here and there on my iPod. Can anyone recommend a good headphone for a noob?

The M50 are a solid (if somewhat overrated) headphone. Strong competitors in the price range are the Shure 840, KRK 8400, M-Audio Q40.

Quote:
Just got an extra bonus from work so I can pull the trigger on my next headphone purchase. The Candidates are:

AKG Q701 (The lime green are a good $20 cheaper than the black or white on Amazon tonight)

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

V-Moda Crossfade M-80

Price isn't really a big deal, as I want all three (or at least I think I do. I still need to be educated as to what's proper gear for my sources and tastes).

My current headphones are the Grado SR-60i, amped by a FiiO E6. Source devices are an iPhone 4S, 5th Gen iPod, an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop, and a home-built PC with the AsRock P67 Extreme 4 motherboard. Thanks to iTunes Match, the vast majority of my library is 256kbps AAC. I tend towards Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, Primus, and New Wave, with a touch of the funk when the urge hits me. Deep Tracks and 1st Wave are my go-to stations on XM.

I have a set of A151 IEMs already inbound, so that avenue is covered.

I'm looking for soething a bit more isolating and not as open, so I'm not broadcasting to everyone around. Not that there's anyone around here before 5am anyway. 
L3000.gif

Cross the Q701 off the list as they are fully open and broadcast very loudly. As for choosing between the HD25 or M80, check my profile for a review comparing them (along with others).

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #10,278 of 29,490

Quote:
Cross the Q701 off the list as they are fully open and broadcast very loudly. As for choosing between the HD25 or M80, check my profile for a review comparing them (along with others).

That would point to the HD25s as the first selection. How do the Q701s stand up with the setup I have? Would the E6 have enough grunt to get by, or would I need to start looking for a bigger amp?

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #10,279 of 29,490
Hi guys. just started posting today. i had a pair of klipsch image s4's for about a year and they were amazing, but the cable died on me and now i only have a pair of skullcandy. i desperately need a new pair but im not sure what to go for. ive been considering the grado sr60, akg k142, and klipsch image x5. any advice? i loved the clarity and balance of the s4's and am kinda hoping for something similar but on/over ear. i included the x5 just cuz i can get them pretty cheap. 

i listen to a wide variety of music: indie rock, indie pop, rap, some classic rock, garage rock, soul, hip-hop, rnb...so yea im kind of hoping for something that is more balanced as opposed to something that's really bass heavy. again i loved the clarity of the s4 so something similar would be nice. 

i know this is kind of sad but i actually really want to get something that looks a bit more retro as well, similar to the sr60 or k142 kind of design. i know thats a terrible way of picking but i just can't help it... :/

thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #10,280 of 29,490
Hmmm...  By how much more do the Denon AH-D1100 clamp than the Sony MDR-ZX700?  Can anyone compare these to the Audio Technica WS70's in terms of clamping so I can get an idea?  

This screams for the Denon.  The Denons clamp more than the Sony's, but they are both very comfortable.  The Sony's are probably more balanced, but I prefer the Denons.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #10,282 of 29,490

Quote:
I would say the HD25 is a better headphone than the LP2/HFi580/DT770 for rock. Those three are all bass heavy; what you want for rock/metal is a more V-shaped sound.

In the big Beyer family, I would say the DT990 is the most rock oriented one of the family. Of the Ultrasones, maybe the Pro750 or HFi780.

You're the man. Appreciate it a bunch, made this a much easier narrowing down of things to research.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #10,283 of 29,490
So, I'm trying to decide between the Audio Technica ATH-W5000 and the ATH-A2000x does anyone have a good comparison between the two? I've seen them compared a few times and was just wondering what you guys think. Also, they will be paired with a Headroom Desktop amp/dac. I've been trying out a pair of the W5000 and I'm pretty much in love with the pair.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #10,284 of 29,490

Quote:
I didn't find any meaning improvement in the Grado line until hitting the HF-2 which is over twice your budget. If you're willing to try modding, get yourself another SR60 and check out the numerous threads here on headfi (or just do a google search) on how to mod grados. I've done it a few times now; not too hard to do.

first of all, thanks so much for the reply...
as i added after, i dont have really a budget at the moment, but more willing to spend "what i have to" be satisfied, but let say around a rs1-ish top budget.
otherwise i would go straight for a gs1k, i think.
since looks like the sr series will not bring any improvement in my "area"...
should i relax and wait for hunt down a second hand HF-2?
the rs2 could make me happy, or i have to go all the way up to the rs1?
i'm also open to other not-grado options if there is any that will not make me miss my beloved grado mids and highs...!!??

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #10,285 of 29,490

Quote:
That would point to the HD25s as the first selection. How do the Q701s stand up with the setup I have? Would the E6 have enough grunt to get by, or would I need to start looking for a bigger amp?

You'll want something heftier than the e6 to push the AKG. 

Quote:
Hi guys. just started posting today. i had a pair of klipsch image s4's for about a year and they were amazing, but the cable died on me and now i only have a pair of skullcandy. i desperately need a new pair but im not sure what to go for. ive been considering the grado sr60, akg k142, and klipsch image x5. any advice? i loved the clarity and balance of the s4's and am kinda hoping for something similar but on/over ear. i included the x5 just cuz i can get them pretty cheap. 

i listen to a wide variety of music: indie rock, indie pop, rap, some classic rock, garage rock, soul, hip-hop, rnb...so yea im kind of hoping for something that is more balanced as opposed to something that's really bass heavy. again i loved the clarity of the s4 so something similar would be nice. 

i know this is kind of sad but i actually really want to get something that looks a bit more retro as well, similar to the sr60 or k142 kind of design. i know thats a terrible way of picking but i just can't help it... :/

thanks in advance for any help!

Go with the Grado. I'm assuming you're planning on using these portably, and while neither is really great for that purpose, the Grado is more portable than the AKG. 

Quote:
first of all, thanks so much for the reply...
as i added after, i dont have really a budget at the moment, but more willing to spend "what i have to" be satisfied, but let say around a rs1-ish top budget.
otherwise i would go straight for a gs1k, i think.
since looks like the sr series will not bring any improvement in my "area"...
should i relax and wait for hunt down a second hand HF-2?
the rs2 could make me happy, or i have to go all the way up to the rs1?
i'm also open to other not-grado options if there is any that will not make me miss my beloved grado mids and highs...!!??

Well scratching around the RS1 price range... I think you could get a Symphones Magnum. There's a big thread here discussing them, and so far all the impressions have been very positive. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #10,286 of 29,490
Aww... CRAP. I did something silly. I started looking at the M50s on Amazon. Tempted. So tempted.

Again, devices are iPhone, iPod and computers. Amp is the FiiO E6. Majority of library is 256kbps AAC. Lots of Rock, New Wave and Jazz. Rock tends towards Prog and Classic.

(ETA: after a little more reading, I've added the FiiO E7 to my wish list. New headphones come first, though.)

(ETA2: Not just tempted. Bought. Will be here tomorrow.)

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #10,287 of 29,490

Quote:
  • Yeah, they leak a lot.
  • Enough, for maximum results you need an amp though
  • Yes, don't think it would be to difficult to install based on other Denon cans I have played around with.
  • Not really.  The HD598 is far more open sounding.
  • The HD598 isn't at all bright.  They are darker with an amp, but hardly what I would call dark or bright.

Thanks for fast reply!

Quote:
Try buying the Sennheiser HD-598 at Electronics Expo website, after putting the HD-598 in the cart/checkout. use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
The Senn HD-558s are also a good buy at Electronics Expo.
The Xonar DG's headphone amplifier is rated up to 150-Ohms, the HD-598 and HD-558 are only 50-Ohms, the D2000 is only 25-Ohms, so all will work with the DG.
Would using a $200 headphone amplifier improve the sound of any of these headphones, I would think so.
The Denon AH-D2000 is a closed headphone with lots of great bass, the HD-598 is open and would not have as much bass as the D2000.

Unfortunately, I have to get cans for christmas and I'm pretty sure that if i would order HD 598's from Electronics Expo (which is in USA right?), it would take quite a long time but thanks anyways! Still really not sure which one of those I'll buy.. choosing headphones is always so difficult haha!

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #10,288 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I really want to buy a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s (the straight cable version). I live in Europe (Ireland to be precise) and I can't find a single shop that actually stocks them here. Online the best deal I can find for them is on http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-technica-ath-m50s.html Unfortunately they are out of stock right now.

Does anyone know of other places online that I could find them at and that ship to Ireland? I don't really want to wait until they're back in stock there since I have no idea how long that might take.

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure these guys deliver internationally, and their M-50s have been on sale for a long while now, Also they have other great bundles with the M-50 itself, just type "m-50" into the search bar and make sure you use the discount code on the new pair, The codes are provided by the giant yellow boxes.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=0

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #10,289 of 29,490
Good Day Head-Fi community!

I need help deciding on what will be my next purchase. I currently have the Grado SR125i. This is my first serious headphone and I really love the sound it gives me. I'm now thinking of going up the Grado ladder and purchase one of their high-end models.

My choices from Grado are:
1. RS1i
2. GS1000i
3. PS500

Things to consider:

I would really like to experience the sound of the 'woodied' headphone and experience a similar sound of Grado but improved compared to my 125i heaphones.

Also, I would like to have a Grado headphone that would be a 'significant' jump or is a 'true' upgrade from the 125i in terms of audio.

I listen mostly to all kinds of music but mostly Smooth Jazz, Rock, Classical, Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop and Dance/Techno. (ALAC, 320 kbps files)

I listen through my iPod and Macbook Pro unamped as of the moment but I will likely to purchase a FiiO E11 soon.

I limited my selection to Grado because it's the only high end headphone readily available for me as of the moment and my preference rest on the brand.

I'm also not open to modifying my 125i because as I found out that shipping my headphones, plus, the charges of the customization service cost like a new RS1i or even more.

I hope the community can help me with this. :D Any input on this is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #10,290 of 29,490

Quote:
Aww... CRAP. I did something silly. I started looking at the M50s on Amazon. Tempted. So tempted.

Again, devices are iPhone, iPod and computers. Amp is the FiiO E6. Majority of library is 256kbps AAC. Lots of Rock, New Wave and Jazz. Rock tends towards Prog and Classic.

(ETA: after a little more reading, I've added the FiiO E7 to my wish list. New headphones come first, though.)

(ETA2: Not just tempted. Bought. Will be here tomorrow.)

Have you seen the sale forums here? Cheaper than Amazon... 

Quote:
Good Day Head-Fi community!

I need help deciding on what will be my next purchase. I currently have the Grado SR125i. This is my first serious headphone and I really love the sound it gives me. I'm now thinking of going up the Grado ladder and purchase one of their high-end models.

My choices from Grado are:
1. RS1i
2. GS1000i
3. PS500

Things to consider:

I would really like to experience the sound of the 'woodied' headphone and experience a similar sound of Grado but improved compared to my 125i heaphones.

Also, I would like to have a Grado headphone that would be a 'significant' jump or is a 'true' upgrade from the 125i in terms of audio.

I listen mostly to all kinds of music but mostly Smooth Jazz, Rock, Classical, Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop and Dance/Techno. (ALAC, 320 kbps files)

I listen through my iPod and Macbook Pro unamped as of the moment but I will likely to purchase a FiiO E11 soon.

I limited my selection to Grado because it's the only high end headphone readily available for me as of the moment and my preference rest on the brand.

I'm also not open to modifying my 125i because as I found out that shipping my headphones, plus, the charges of the customization service cost like a new RS1i or even more.

I hope the community can help me with this. :D Any input on this is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

You know, most people mod Grados themselves. The main cost involved is mostly a bit of time since many of the mods do not require extra materials (well, except maybe some pieces of tape, perhaps an old sock, etc). The SR60 is the most common guinea pig for modding. 

Beyond that I can't help too much with your choices. The highest up I've gone with Grados is a woodied HF-2, which was good but not worth the price to me. Maybe try asking in the PS500 thread, since that's the newest one and you'll likely find more people there able to offer a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back