++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #10,261 of 29,490

Quote:
please and thank you.

- good isolation
- good for pretty much all types of music (i want a good all-arounder.)
- $350 or below.
- good amount of bass with mids that aren't recessed (preferably, some recession is okay as long as it's not TOO much.)

will be used with E7/E9 combo, source = iPhone 4, PC.

ms400 is great musical phone. The mids are amazing coupled with warm bass, that is not too thumpy or boomy. The treble is good, great actually, but slightly recessed and has roll off. Great headphones to really appreciate the musicality of something. From what I have heard the FA-003 is great, but not portable. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #10,262 of 29,490

Pro700 mk2[size=13.5pt][/size]
v-moda crossfade lp2[size=13.5pt][/size]
v-moda m-80[size=13.5pt][/size]
hdj2000 [size=13.5pt][/size]
D1100
WS55

compare to 

M50 
HD25 
MS400

can anyone give me input of the top headphones compared to the bottom ones, I'm looking for something around M50 bass, with MS400 mids and treble. All that with good articulation and seperation. Comfort is a must, build quality can't be worse than the MS400. I don't mind the D1100 cavernous sound or bass booming pain XD. I want bass head cans, or at least something with again M50 bass, more is permitted.   
:D much appreciated. 
BTW I would like these to be noob friendly, so they appeal to a consumer in terms of sound quality, so kinda a wow effect or something really entrancing. Amp is a maybe if needed. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #10,263 of 29,490

Quote:
Husa,

My experience with the DT 770/80 is that it sounds fairly good driven out of most headphone jacks, but does improve with amplification. It would be a good headphone to grow a system with.

That said, I sure hope that you have spent a bit more on the girlfriend, because a Roland RH-5 is nowhere near the cost of the DT 770/80. I assume you're trying to hide it for holiday purposes (just in case).

Thank you for the answer, guess I'm not in such a hurry in building the amp. And I did get her more than just the RH-5's. Those were just a random buy after testing them quickly, felt pretty good for a 38€ pair. No point getting her a really good pair, would be a waste until I make her an audiophile :wink:

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #10,264 of 29,490
Hi, first post looking for some advice as I am new to this game.  I am a member of another audio forum and they have provided some good advice but thought I ask here as well.  The info:
 - Looking for full sized cans, over ear.  Budget is about $400 or so.
 - Sources - iPod Classic (Apple lossless), MacBook Pro
 - Amp - still trying to figure this one out as well.  The Schiit Lyr seems to be a favorite.
 - Types of music - Prog rock (think Rush, Porcupine Tree, etc), alt rock/rock (Foo Fighters, Tool, PJ, The Police), singer/songwriter/acoustic (Ryan Adams, Mark Knofler...).

So far the good advice I've gotten have recommended Sennheiser HD650, AKG 702, Grado SR325is, Shure SRH940.  Anything else I should be focusing on or, of these, which would you choose?  Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #10,265 of 29,490
Simple question here!

Which has better overall sound for these genres? 
Genres: Dubstep, house, atlernative, rock, indie, reggae

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2
VModa Crossfade lp2
Denon D1100
Ultrasone HFI-780

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #10,266 of 29,490
Hi,

I really want to buy a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s (the straight cable version). I live in Europe (Ireland to be precise) and I can't find a single shop that actually stocks them here. Online the best deal I can find for them is on http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-technica-ath-m50s.html Unfortunately they are out of stock right now.

Does anyone know of other places online that I could find them at and that ship to Ireland? I don't really want to wait until they're back in stock there since I have no idea how long that might take.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #10,267 of 29,490
Hello! I'm going to buy new headphones tomorrow but I'm not really sure which cans I should buy. I've been thinking of Denon D2000's and HD 598's. Now there's just few questions I'm really wondering about.

1. I've heard HD 598's leak a lot of sound, like more than normally open back headphones does, is this true?
2. Is Xonar DG enough for HD 598?
3. Is it possible to get custom cups for Denon D2000 and install them by myself? If it's possible, where I can buy them and is installing them difficult and how do I install them?
4. Do you guys think D2000 + Xonar DG would be better combination than HD 598 + Xonar DG?
5. I have heard D2000's and I really liked them after adding some treble with Xonar but how are HD 598's? Bright sounding? How is treble and bass?

Thanks in advance :)

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #10,268 of 29,490
This screams for the Denon.  The Denons clamp more than the Sony's, but they are both very comfortable.  The Sony's are probably more balanced, but I prefer the Denons.

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I am looking for headphones in the $100-$150 range, and I think I've narrowed it down to the:

Denon AH-D1100
Sony MDR-ZX700

Things I am concerned about is the comfort and sound.  The last headphones I had were the Audio Technica WS70, and I had to return them due to the extreme discomfort due to their excessive clamping force.  How do the Denon's and Sony's clamp?  Which one sounds better?  I listen to mostly hard rock, but I also listen to some hip-hop and electronic music.  Which is more comfortable?  I consider a lighter clamp to be more comfortable.  Thanks.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #10,269 of 29,490
My question is rather simple. Does anyone know a head phone with the decent sound (bassy and clear) of an AKG K518DJ, but with a microphone? Unfortunately, the AKG alternative: Q460 would be a bad choice.. It's both for indoor and outdoor, so a bit of a seal would be great.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #10,270 of 29,490
  • Yeah, they leak a lot.
  • Enough, for maximum results you need an amp though
  • Yes, don't think it would be to difficult to install based on other Denon cans I have played around with.
  • Not really.  The HD598 is far more open sounding.
  • The HD598 isn't at all bright.  They are darker with an amp, but hardly what I would call dark or bright.

Quote:
Hello! I'm going to buy new headphones tomorrow but I'm not really sure which cans I should buy. I've been thinking of Denon D2000's and HD 598's. Now there's just few questions I'm really wondering about.

1. I've heard HD 598's leak a lot of sound, like more than normally open back headphones does, is this true?
3. Is it possible to get custom cups for Denon D2000 and install them by myself? If it's possible, where I can buy them and is installing them difficult and how do I install them?
4. Do you guys think D2000 + Xonar DG would be better combination than HD 598 + Xonar DG?
5. I have heard D2000's and I really liked them after adding some treble with Xonar but how are HD 598's? Bright sounding? How is treble and bass?

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #10,271 of 29,490

Quote:

Try buying the Sennheiser HD-598 at Electronics Expo website, after putting the HD-598 in the cart/checkout. use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
The Senn HD-558s are also a good buy at Electronics Expo.
The Xonar DG's headphone amplifier is rated up to 150-Ohms, the HD-598 and HD-558 are only 50-Ohms, the D2000 is only 25-Ohms, so all will work with the DG.
Would using a $200 headphone amplifier improve the sound of any of these headphones, I would think so.
The Denon AH-D2000 is a closed headphone with lots of great bass, the HD-598 is open and would not have as much bass as the D2000.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #10,272 of 29,490
Holeymoley I don't check up for a day and there are 80+ posts... I apologize for the brevity but this is nuts and I'm going to try and run through all the ones that didn't look like they got an answer (and probably some that did, but it never hurts to double up)...

edit: wow this took a ridiculously long time to answer

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm probably getting some triplefi10s (possibly as a gift) but I'm still thinking about some full size headphones, you guys help me decide. I will probably use these to listen to music mostly but I may want to play games in them as well (bf3 anyone =D)
I listen to many genres but I mainly listen to rock, prog metal, blues, instrumental, prog jazz and classical. Some examples of my favorites are are Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, SRV, victor Wooten, Marcus miller, Blues Bros and associated acts.
I want them to be very comfortable, portability doesn't matter much to me especially if I get the tf10's. Isolation would be nice but I mainly want them to isolate any bleed to the outside environment. Im not a huge bass head that needs that hip hop thump, I am actually even thinking about relatively flat headphones for mixing my own tracks (guitar/bass usually). But feel free to throw in ideas towards more fun and musical headphones.
For a little more background I have a biosciencegeek cmoy amp, nothing special but it does its job so if a headphone needs some ampage then I at least have the cmoy. I sort of doubt I'll need a better amp since I'm not looking at the super huge expensive headphones and atm most of my music is only in the 224-320kbits range with some 192kbits sadly. But I'm still new to the audiophile scene so I have much to learn so I may be spouting nonsense. (I'm much better at audio equipment related to guitar gear lol)
My budget will probably be $150-200 possibly may be able to put another $50 on top. I looked at the vmoda m80s and they are damn sexy but I'm not sure if over ear would be uncomfortable and/or bleed audio. Also they're a little out of budget.

While not recommended very often, the AKG K271 is a good overall can. Very strong isolation, neutral sound, decent soundstage and detailing, and likes to have a bit more juice which the BSGcmoy should be able to provide. It's also well within budget.

Quote:
I need advice on a Monster Beats solo alternative, but not for the reason your thinking.  I don't like their sound and i could really give @#@ about looks.  What i do like is the metal headband and the way they fold.  they look very durable and look like they would be pretty portable.  i like the Senn sound signature but i am open to all opinions.  i don't mind buying used or refurb from amazon.  any suggestions on headphones under 150 US.  thanks HeadFI

The solos have awful durability. Really awful. 

If you like the Senn sound signature, the PX200-ii would be an ideal fit. Slim profile, good build, good sound, and less than half your budget.

Quote:

Hey guys, 
I just joined this forums after reading many of your views on HD598 and Ad700/AD900's

Now my budget is around 250 for everything I need.
If worst comes to worst I will just buy the AD700 if I need to spend less money.
Now the HD598's are cheaper, so I can be a E11 or the E7. Which one?
Or
AD900's with the E6.

Which one of these 3 builds will be benefit to me.

I mostly listen to my frank sinatra or linkin park pandora radio, along with my games on my computer. Sometimes I like to just have things portable like as I am doing work so the FiiO Amps were an option for me. Now the other question is do I need the DAC from the E7 or not?

Thank You!

I would not consider any of those really portable, though the Senns are better than the Audio Technicas in that regard. 

If you do any computer listening, then you an use the e7 which is both dac and amp. If you'll be just on the go, then the e11 amp would be better (though the e7 has better battery life).

Quote:
Grabbing another pair of Sony XB headphones(Either xb700's or the xb1000's), hoping for some advice here:

. I already have a pair of Sony MDR XB500's. I do consider myself an audiophile(My main 2 channel home system features Kef XQ10's with a pair of 15" Rythmik subwoofers powered by a pair of monoblocks and either my ipod or Wadia or Adcom cd transports for source), but I love my bass and feel that the foundation for good sound starts with the low end. For the $45 bucks I paid for my xb500's I find they were a great bang for the buck. When using my ipod touch I find they sound best and most natural with the "bass reducer" setting in the EQ. At this setting the bass and frequency response seems smoothest and most natural. I mainly listen to rock(Ranging from older Van Halen, Twisted sister, to newer bands like Rammstein, Limp Bizkit, Tool, RATM etc)and a bit of RAP(Dre, Dogg etc), and even some other alternatives like Phish, 311, Blues Traveler, String Cheese incident etc. on occasion.

So, would a pair of XB700's for $90 bucks be the way to go, or spend $250ish for a pair of XB1000's? I also like smooth and neutral midrange and treble. My ears are very sensitive to harsh sounding high frequencies.

Also, some have commented that the XB500's are the easiest to power, but the sensitivity rating on the 700's and 1000's is a few db greater/higher(106db at 1khz vs 104 of the 500's), so I would think either of these headphones would be easier to drive than the 500's and need nearly half the amount of power to get the same output) I have now?

Anyway, some suggestions and recommendations would be welcome, like to order up a set today to have by Xmas. :)

Eh, go for the XB700's. For the price of the XB1000's you're into range of the bassy ultrasones and other DJ cans. None of the XB series are difficult to drive; a typical ipod should be more than enough power. 

Quote:
Just curious, anyone here into final fantasy osts? Got any suggestions on headphones that go well with them? Like FFVII-X to be specific. Im kinda wondering how they sound on things in the 200-400 range. Things like denons, hd600/650, beyers.

Lots of epic orchestral tracks... all of your high end cans tend to play well there. The Denons and Senns are staples. If going with Beyers, I prefer DT880 over the 770 or 990.

Quote:
So are the Ultrasone HFi780's a good set of headphones? Had a read and the opinion of them does seem really encouraging... might have to give them a go.

The only other closed headphones I have are the Creative Aurvana Live's, would the Hifi780s be a huge step up for listening to music? Before I used the AD700s and loved the clarity/space to the sound, but not enough bass... atm I'm using the CALs as I just find the PC360 too boring for music.

The 780 is a good can, but of the typical ultrasone sound with their S-Logic tech. Decent bass with rumble, wobbly mid-highs. I would consider them a step up, but it's all about the diminishing returns and what each person considers a worthwhile upgrade. For me, the $150-200 range is my ideal for playing around with new sounds and acceptable expenditures. 

Quote:
How is the detail and soundstage on AKG K271 and how does it compare to other headphones in the price range, in particular the ATH AD700?

By the way, my budget is $150 and my main concerns are detail, soundstage and flatness (ie. not too much highs or lows). And I love midrange. :)

You're comparing a closed can to an open one for soundstage, which is a really unfair comparison. The K271 is quite good for a closed can, but nowhere near the AD700.

Quote:
So this is my orignal post
-Hi guys, first post here.
I'll admit upfront, I know nothing about headphones. I'm looking for a pair of headphones (up to £140/£150 ish) for listening to music on my stereo, I'll also use them with my laptop but their main use will be with my stereo. I listen to a lot of different types of music, my favourite genre is metal - thrash, death and heavy metal are my favourites. They obviously need to sound great when listening to metal. My favourite non metal and rock artists/bands are The Smiths/Morrissey, The Beatles and LIGHTS, so obviously they'll have to sound good with other genres as well. 
I've just been looking at the Sennheiser 558's on amazon, they have great reviews, are these any good?
Thanks for the help upfront.

I've been looking at reviews and forum posts and from what I've seen the Sennhesier hd558's and Grado SR60i's are great for metal. I seem to be leaning more towards the Grado's at the moment, would you recommend them? 

Also should I get a headphone amp? I'm not an audiophile yet but I want the best quality I can afford really. I saw the Fiio E7 was recommended, is there anything cheaper than this or would this be a good purchase? cheers.

EDIT- What about Grado SR80i? are these that much better than the sr60i?

Don't get Grados if you live outside the US. Look up Alessandro instead, which is basically the same thing but with slightly tuned highs and no foreign price hike. 

Quote:
Didn't see this thread till now so i'll post my question here now -

Hi all this is my first post here
smile.gif

I have an old pair of 565's that are on their last legs and I want to replace them / upgrade to a better set if possible.
I am no audiophile, my knowledge is fairly limited, so can someone who has had the 565's or knows about them suggest which more modern Sennheizers sound closest to the 565s?

I dont even have a headphone amp- tho I guess I could spend a few hundred in the future on one if i had to- but I'd rather a pair that will sound great just plugging straight into my seperate CD player like my 565's.

I heard the 595 might be nearest match and that the 598s sound brighter? Or maybe the 650's / 600s? But tho my CD player does fine for the 150? impedence 565's,  would it manage to do very well with the 600 or 650s without an amp?

I've heard some grado and akg that i thought were very harsh, so I guess i like the warmer type of headphone with some bass? Thats why i want something similar by the same company since I cant go test them personaly and know i love the sound of the 565s.

I listen to most music types except most chart stuff or rap - so some rock, some metal, some acustic, electric, quite alot of classical..

On another note.. its probably hard to find 595s, 600, 650's now new at good prices i guess?

Sennheisers are pretty good for maintaining a consistent brand sound. The 555/595 are a good bet, or the newer 558/598 which would be a little more expensive. 

If the HD565 was fine out of your CD player, I would hesitantly say you'll be fine with the HD600/650 as well. Check Amazon/ebay to get an idea of what prices are like. Also check the used forums here. 

Quote:
Hi all!

i'm looking for...

closed
Circumaural
portable
AMP/DAC not required
i listen mostly to pop/hip hop/rock

looks aren't too important, but more like Beats, and less like classical headphones
price range anywhere from 100-200

i was told to look at the Audio Technica m50, but would like other options as well.

thanks!

perhaps the V-Moda M80, or one of these: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/celebrity-headphone-deathmatch-soul-ludacris

Quote:
After getting sick and tired of my lousy skullcandys, I made my girlfriend buy me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm (sounds bad I know, but I got her a pair of Rolands RH-5 and something extra.. :D ) and now I'll have to suffer without any headphones till christmas.

The real question is this. Will my Asus Xonar DG drive these good enough or should I start building a DIY amp? I can't spend any extra money right now, so I won't be able to buy anything better before summer.

And as you probably noticed I'm new here, so I'd like to say hi! The aforementioned skullcandys broke, so I figured I need something better. I previously owned a pair of Philips HP840 which always sounded a bit muddy, but atleast had some bass and were comfy unlike the skulls. I chose the Beyers after a day of searching and listening to random headphones around my hometown's shops, sennheisers/AKGs etc. Budget was roughly 150€. My other audio consists of a poor JVC receiver + Wharfedale 9.2 speakers.

I wrote all this random babble to let you know something about my history and likes.. And I'm bored.

The Xonar DG should be enough. 

Quote:
This might be quite a challenge:

I'm looking for a headset with decent bass, good sound quality and a microphone for up to £35. Obviously I'm not expecting anything amazing in terms of sound quality but I'd like it to be decent at least. Also, I'd like to be able to easily tell the direction of sounds, even if they are stereo headphones.

Sennheiser PCxxx

Quote:

I've been looking at the Shure SRH440,KRK KNS 6400 and several others I'm having trouble deciding what to get my brother for Christmas. He listens to the most electronic music I've ever heard, so I feel like bass is pretty important. That's why I haven't looked too much at the typical entry level open headphones. I'd like them to be over ear because comfort is an issue, he'll be using them well into the AM. Also another important factor is that these won't be amplified, other than maybe a EMU 0202, which doesn't do much. 

I keep getting very mixed reviews on all the headphones that have any real bass presence, so I was hoping for some insight on their sound signatures and perhaps other suggestions for headphones that match the criteria. 

Thanks!

The 6400 might do a little better for bass, though if you're willing to push the budget a little more the 840 or 8400 would be better. You could also consider the Sony XB series. 

Quote:
Hi all ,

New to this site and after going through numerous appreciation threads like Sennheiser HD598,Sennheisser HD 25 1 -II  ,Sennheiser hd 448 and many others I am still confused

Basically my requirement is a versatile headphones which works great with movies and games too.As I am not a lan gamer i don't require a microphone and travel a lot I have narrowed my choices to Sennheiser Adidas HD 25  as they are closed ones which would provide good noise insulation while travelling too but heard that they are not too good with movies and games.Anyone can throw a light on it? Also how are the Sennheiser HD 380 pro($130 less), sennheiser's pc 350($50 less price range) or even Sennheiser PXC 450 ($120 more in my country) compared to the hd 25(I know they are meant for different purpose but anyone can compare their versatility?) 

Any other suggestions and please restrict to sennheiser(as these are easily available where I live) if possible?
Main requirements
Portability
Noise isolation(for travel)
Versatile i.e good for music,movies and games(for home)

The HD25 is a solid headphone and great for portable use. Gaming use is fine if you're not a competitive FPS gamer. The HD380 also have very strong isolation and offer better comfort and soundstage with a less impactful bass but a warmer overall tone, but also comes in a larger package (though has a case for travel use). The 350 and 450 and built from the 380 framework but with noise cancellation circuitry built in if you feel like spending the money for that. 

For overall use, I'd say choose between the HD25 or HD380.

Quote:
    I'm looking for a pair of full size headphones to listen to audio from a laptop and desktop setup. My price limit is around 200$, lower is better, the lower limit is 100$.  Currently I only have a laptop so I don't have a good sound card. If I get a pc i plan on building in a X-fi or something in that price range(for the gaming and audio quality). I also plan on getting an amp like the  FiiO e10 USB amp for laptop and or desktop use ( idk if its neccesary if I  have an X-fi).
    I don't particularly like totally closed headphones (some make me feel funky, sick, and get hot...but some seal is fine; I don't want to leak noise all over the place). I also don't usually like in-ear headphones because of the comfort and my concern about listening to my music too loud.  My current headphones are an old pair of JVC HA-G77 . 35$ when I bought them.  I find them to lack some bass (punch and deep bass) and they get uncomfortable on my ears. Also they are a bit too loose, but they've lasted about 8 years. Durability is a plus. I don't want   them breaking when I drop them or the cord fraying like so many portables. 
Music I listen to: most genres including classical. 
I live in a crappy town...anyhow I'll be traveling through/by the following places in NC on my way home: Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Greensborro, Winston Salem. If you know anywhere to try your headphone recommendations in those that would be great.

If you have a good X-fi card with a headphone output, you probably won't need the e10. 

Maybe find yourself a pair of Beyer DT880pro which should be around $180-90 or so. 

Quote:
Hello, 
I'm new to the forum. I would like some advice on buying my first set of decent headphones.
I was planning on buying a pair of ATH-M50 which I found on sale on a local online shop (here in Italy) for 125€. And from the reviews I read here it seems quite a bargain.
But my problem is that I own a macbook (white 6.1) which suffers from static noise when inserting headphones.
So I was seeking some advice on how to address this issue.
Would it be better to get a portable amp such as the Fiio E6 or should I get an external sound card for example Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II or Syba USB2.0 7.1CH Sound Adapter (btw, is this any good for 3$)?

So I'm seeking some advice about this, I'd be glad to receive any raccomandation. Bye.

It's difficult to say whether the external dac would cure the static or not since we do not know the cause of the static. I have the Micro II and it's a nice little device, but actually too strong for most consumer headphones. Get something like the Behringer UCA202 which has an analog volume control. 

Quote:
Hi,

I am not an audiophile, but I do need a replacement for my HD-201s which I recently sat on. I would like a headphone that is comparably priced (under $50) and still a closed headphone.

I am considering the ATH M-30, some of the cheaper Superlux, and simply getting a new pair of HD 201s, but am more than open to new suggestions.

I know this is a common question, and a fairly unreasonable one at that, but I would still appreciate some feedback. 

Thanks!

If you like the HD201 and are on a limited budget, stick with what you know. Otherwise you risk getting something you don't like. 

Quote:
Hey guys I have decided to go with the E10's even though they are not portable but is a better dac/amp than the E7. I am going with the HD598's and when I want to be portable around the house with my pandora radio and my phone will I miss out on too much?
Also wiring the E10's it self. Could I use the line out to my speaker system?

Most reports seems to say the e10 is a better unit, although lately there have been a lot of people griping about the headphone jack being loose on the e10. I think maybe it was a bad batch.

You can certainly use the e10 to lead into speakers. 

Quote:
hey

anyone heard of AKG K404 headphones?

Not that specific models, but most of the closed portables by AKG in that form factor tend to have a very high midbass punch and roll off quickly in the subbass region, with high clamp and isolation

Quote:
Hello,

I am looking for a second pair of headphones.  I have some Grado SR125 which I like a lot.  However, after getting my last guitar amp, I need a pair of headphone at home and one at the office.

I listen to classic (mostly violin concerto, sonata or other), rock, psychadelic trance, some jazz and some accoustic guitar.

I am looking at of budget of 350$ or less and doesn't mind buying used from this forum.  If less don't mind having more money for other hifi improvements.

At work I have a closed door office, so open headphone help me hear if someone arrives in my office and is somewhat less rude.  Since the grado are a open design, it is possible to switch headphone sometimes.

I built my own CMoy amp to power these.  A dac may be something that I will build in the future for this.

I am looking for headphone which are easy to listen for prolongated use, comfy, not too hot, not overpowering your hear etc.

I like a little sparkly high,
well define mids without beiing overwhelming
I like bass but nothing that will pound my head, and clear bass is much preferable to muddy.

The headphone will not always be amped, so it may come from ipod directly sometimes.

Model I was looking at are

AKG-701
beyerdynamic DT880
Fischer audio FA-003
Denon Ahd2000
Audio Technica AT-AD900
Phiaton MS 400

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Since they'll be going unamped sometimes, your choices then are:
D2000 - rich tone, warmish sound with very good bass extension, somewhat laid back
AD900 - airy sound, much "faster" and brighter though it's general sound is quite flat and well extended
MS400 - very warm and laid back sound
(I don't know about the Fischer)

I think the AD900 would be the best fit for you, with very clear mids and clean precise highs.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and by no means an audiophile yet, but I've been loving the posts I've read so far and I'm looking to buy a new pair of over ear headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD428's that I got about a year ago but they have recently started playing out of only one channel (or something that makes it so I only hear part of the recording, usually not the vocals). I sent them in on warranty but they won't get back before I will be leaving the country for more than 3 months so I want to get a new pair.

I am looking for closed cans that are portable and less than $150. I will be using them for both movies and music. I listen to a pretty even mix of Rock, Folk, Electronic, and Hip-Hop so I'm looking for a good well-rounded pair of headphones. I appreciate clarity of sound over bruising bass but I still want something that can do Justice justice if you know what I mean. I'm currently considering HFI580's based on things I've read from this site but I could be easily convinced to go with something else.

Thanks!

The 580 is a solid choice. The Aviators might also be worth considering.

Quote:
hi guys!
i own a sr60i but recently i'm finding myself not satisfied in their bass.
i'm not a bass-head.. i listen mostly rock, indie-rock, acoustic (rock) etc..but i've discovered that my sr60 has a really limited and dry bass that compromises the "body" or the "presence" of the song.
example: with florence and the machine (all their song, but in this case in particular i'll talk about "dog days r over") i can enjoy all the mids and highs but i cant appreciate fully the song cuz i miss all the drums growing up and creating that particular contrast of really low and high that is typical of the machine. Florence, of course, is all there, but she's feeling a bit lonely! :)
i had a senn hd518 borrowed from a friend of mine, that is really happy about them, but that didnt help me much. here's why.
ive found the hd518 rich in the bass and generally well balanced, probably a really nice can....if taken alone.
at my first test i was quite happy about it, and thought that i could easily fix everything... but in a A/B comparison everything changed.
the hd has a nice bass (but i can be happy even whit a little bit less than that) good details in mids and highs, and more neutral..
but my little grado, even if coloured, it's just in another world with mids and highs, much more in your face, energetic etc.
and i'm definitely not willing to give up on those..for few bass.
the logic solution will be an upgrade in the grado line but:
- how "hi" in the grado line i have to go for have a right compromise??
- do the grado have that kind of bass that i'm looking for, or is always kind of "dry", putted down for leaving space at mids & highs, etc??

- this is only a logical solution, so i'm open to other option, brand etc...if u guys have one!

since i dont have the opportunity of testing some grado, and headphone over 200$ in general,  by myself (cuz i live i italy and we got only ****ty general stores, with only the average quality stuff, and for anything else u can only buy it directly online) i'm looking forward for some opinions or wise-advices!

thanks in advance at everyone!

I didn't find any meaning improvement in the Grado line until hitting the HF-2 which is over twice your budget. If you're willing to try modding, get yourself another SR60 and check out the numerous threads here on headfi (or just do a google search) on how to mod grados. I've done it a few times now; not too hard to do.

Quote:
Wow, I'm almost in the same boat as xirtam85 is above.  I'm upgrading from grado sr80's and listen to mostly rock and "alternitive" music (garbage, radiohead,pearljam,,the pixies, the killers, and  cake), with a fair amount of female vocalists(fiona apple,little boots, the tingtings).  I love, love,love my sr80i's  but decided it's time to get something a little nicer .

I'm not a big bass head, but have started to enjoy its presence a little more. I think I'm looking for something with a strong uppers and mids.  When  a cymbal crashes or horns are implemented in songs (cake) it just brings a smile to my face, but I also want something that can bring out the warmth in  vocalists with a deep slightly raspy voice (fiona apple, later johny cash)

What I'm looking for is going to be used almost entirely from my ipod, so
1) needs to be easily driven (I'm not intersted in getting an amp)
2) fairly portable, so big headphones are probably off the list unless you can convince me otherwise
3)$170-225 price range

Based off of some of the reviews/comparisons (specifically Armaegis shootout, I'm strongly looking at the sennheiser hd-25-1-ii and v-moda m-80's, but having experience with Grado's I wanted to try a pair of SR-325is's a s well.  I haven't seen any comparisons of the Grado with these two, and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts or other options I should consider. 

Many thanks ahead of time.

The 325 emphasises more on the treble side than the bass. The HD25 and M80 are both solid headphones; not really much I can say that hasn't already been covered in my review. The HD25 can usually be found cheaper if that makes a difference. I've also modded both of mine if you're curious about anything along those lines as well. 

Quote:
Will be buying these next week hopefully to accompany a set of Grados for Christmas. Asked for those for Christmas and want another set of headphones to go with it. Look at that, can't even enjoy my first set without wanting to have a second set to play with also, haha!

-Genres: Rock, metal, jazz, classical / piano. (Examples: Muse, The Strokes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, Frank Sinatra, Bob Marley and the Wailers (Stuff like Studio 1, not his reggae so much), August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, Kashiwa Daisuke, etc.)

-No equipment, but not unwilling to buy some if included within the budget. Playing FLACs from on-board PC and Clip+.

-What's your suggestion for a 175-200 dollar budget?

-Suggestion for a 275-300 budget? (This is the most likely amount, wondering if it's worth an amp to be included in the budget with 200 phones or just get 300 dollar cans)

-Suggestion for a 375-400 dollar budget? (I'm impatient and would expect this to be like 300 dollar headphones with like a Fiio added on within the month? The budget is more of a like, 300 dollars now + 100-150 next month thing)

-I listen for 3-6 hours a day, so comfort is somewhat of an issue.

-Closed, ideally.

-Don't want overpowered bass, but having demo'd the HD280 Pros they seemed almost weak in bass? Not sure what to compare to other than Beats and 5.1 speakers, so don't hurt me. Beats had almost too much bass for comfortable hearing all day.

-Mostly home listening, but would be cool to be able to take them around campus when walking. But I may look into IEMs for this.

-I want new, not used, and new from ideally a place that isn't ebay. Been scammed once, not trying to go for another. More than likely looking at Amazon, dat free 2 day shipping.

-I'm thinking the DT-770s at 250 ohms with a Fiio of some sort, or even the 80 ohm version with no amp. Thoughts?

V-Moda LP2
Ultrasone HFi-580
Beyer DT770 (though they're a bit big for portable use); get the 250ohm with an amp; the 80 is a bit blaring in the bass

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for around $200 (willing to go a bit over).  And I listen to a wide variety of music classical, rap, hip-hop, rock, metal, dubstep, alternative, country, and a few more.

What I want is...
-Good sound (obviously)
-Nothing really bass heavy, but still has a nice thump to it
-A bass that doesn't ruin the mids or highs
-Noise Isolation,  I hate having to hear outside noises when all I'm trying to do is listen to my music.  So it is important to me.
-Comfort, simple I want to be able to wear these for hours without any discomfort
-Build quality, I hate flimsy plastic or something that feels like a good drop will brake it

Out of those I'd say isolation, sound quality, and comfort are the most important.

A few option I've considered...
-V-moda LP2's
-AKG K 172 HD's
-Waiting for the V-moda M-100's

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Senn HD280/380 offer very high isolation and are full sized so are fairly comfortable (though they have somewhat strong clamping force, which lessens over time).

Quote:

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I have the Ultrasone HFI-780 driven from a Zero DAC with OPA 627. 
I have Mediamonkey (Wasapi) --> Zero DAC --> Ultrasone HFI-780
I have a budget of 400 dollars which can best spent on headphone and possible amp if needed. 

I Listen to: 
Progressive Rock
Alternative
Electronic
Trance
Dubstep
Ambient
Classical
A small amount of Rap

I'm looking for an upgrade in soundstage and imaging, as well as bass quality and mids. I would prefer an open set of headphones because i want an expansive soundstage, yet i would consider closed. 

Right now i'm looking at the DT990 600Ohm, or Fisher Audio FA-011. Obviously i would spend the remaining budget on an amp.

Anyone have some suggestions for an amp, or a different headphone?

Thanks!

I would lean more towards the DT880 which has a more balanced sound, though for most of your genres the 990 may be better with it's emphasized bass and treble. I happen to like the Beyers with tube amps. 

Quote:
Hi everyone! First post here and I need some major advice toward which headphones I should get. 
My budget is around $150 but I'm willing to a go a little more if it's really worth it.
I listen to all kinds of music. Mostly rock and alternative but also classical, pop, electronic..everything really. 
I've been doing a whole lot a research and I think I've settled between:

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI-580[/size]
[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH-M50[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
Like I said, I listen to a lot of different genres of music but I'd really like for the music to have a good punch and be a bit bass-y.
From what I've read, the M50's wont offer that but the 580's will?

I listened to a friend's Beats Studio and if they sound anything like that, I think I'd be happy. 

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Go with the HFi580. It's one of the most commonly recommended alternatives/improvements to the Beats.

Quote:
Hey head-fi,

I'm in the process of buying a new set of headphones and this will be the first non-cheapo pair that I'm looking at picking up.  If anyone here could give me some suggestions on some mid range headphones that would be much appreciated as I'm seeing a lot of differing opinions and don't know where to start.

Needs To Be:
Full Sized Headphones
Max of 75-80$
Comfortable for extended periods (I wear glasses)

A few I've looked at are the Grados Prestige 60i's, JVC HARX900's, and the Seinnheiser HD448's.

I'll be using these for gaming also, so headphones that perform well at that is also a plus.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Senn HD448

Quote:
Hi, first post looking for some advice as I am new to this game.  I am a member of another audio forum and they have provided some good advice but thought I ask here as well.  The info:
 - Looking for full sized cans, over ear.  Budget is about $400 or so.
 - Sources - iPod Classic (Apple lossless), MacBook Pro
 - Amp - still trying to figure this one out as well.  The Schiit Lyr seems to be a favorite.
 - Types of music - Prog rock (think Rush, Porcupine Tree, etc), alt rock/rock (Foo Fighters, Tool, PJ, The Police), singer/songwriter/acoustic (Ryan Adams, Mark Knofler...).

So far the good advice I've gotten have recommended Sennheiser HD650, AKG 702, Grado SR325is, Shure SRH940.  Anything else I should be focusing on or, of these, which would you choose?  Thanks!

Do you need isolation? or portability? those will greatly affect your choices.

HD650: warmish midbass tilt, excellent all-rounder
K702: more neutral than the Senn, more emphasis on uppermid, wide stage
SR325: strong treble, in your face sound and stage, does not need amp
Shure 940: closed, neutral leaning to bright sound, does not need amp

Quote:
Simple question here!

Which has better overall sound for these genres? 
Genres: Dubstep, house, atlernative, rock, indie, reggae

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2
VModa Crossfade lp2
Denon D1100
Ultrasone HFI-780

I'd say the Ultrasone is the most well-rounded of the bunch. The rest are bassy.

Quote:
Hi,

I really want to buy a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s (the straight cable version). I live in Europe (Ireland to be precise) and I can't find a single shop that actually stocks them here. Online the best deal I can find for them is on http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-technica-ath-m50s.html Unfortunately they are out of stock right now.

Does anyone know of other places online that I could find them at and that ship to Ireland? I don't really want to wait until they're back in stock there since I have no idea how long that might take.

Thanks in advance!

Ebay?

or amazon.co.uk? 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Audio-Technica-Ath-m50s/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324351654&sr=8-1

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #10,273 of 29,490
Holy cow Armaegis!!!  Thanks  for answering all these posts.  It is greatly appreciated.  I'll try searching, but could you point me out to any threads about the mods for these respective cans.  Also, I'm lucky enough  to be able to try these headphones for about a week and was wondering if any of these sound significantly different after break in.  I got the sennheiser hd-25's  today,  and they seem a little too bass heavy for me.  It seems like some of the vocals are getting overshadowed by them.  What are your opinions on the beyerdynamics dt 1350 compared to the cans I'm considering ( do those things ever go below 300?)

Thanks again

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #10,274 of 29,490

Quote:
Holeymoley I don't check up for a day and there are 80+ posts... I apologize for the brevity but this is nuts and I'm going to try and run through all the ones that didn't look like they got an answer (and probably some that did, but it never hurts to double up)...

V-Moda LP2
Ultrasone HFi-580
Beyer DT770 (though they're a bit big for portable use); get the 250ohm with an amp; the 80 is a bit blaring in the bass

Very very much appreciate the reply. Was afraid nobody was going to see it :p

How do all of those compare for rock / metal to the HD 25-1 II? I really was looking at the DT770s and almost had my heart set, but then came across the HD 25's and they seem portable, don't require an amp (making them significantly cheaper), and supposedly have a very forward sound for rock and metal like Grados. With that said, I'm one who believes in getting what you pay for. Would the amp + DT 770 be a better buy than the HD 25s in the long haul? Would probably pick up an E7 or E10, would those be enough? I know the E7/E9 combo works great and I would probably pick up an E9 next month.

Definitely going to look into the LP2s, look very cool imo.

Edit: Not too interested in the M80s or LP2s.
Also curious about DT 770s with a cMoy or PA2V2? Problem with the PA2V2 would be the wait that would be included. :\ Impatient haha.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #10,275 of 29,490
Hey guys, I have never owned a decent pair of headphones so this is a bit overwhelming for me as I have never heard of most of these brands. I apologize if my request is a bit generic but I am just looking for something in $150 range give or take. I want some comfortable over the ear ones with decent all around sound as I listen to all kinds of music mostly rock, hip hop, and techno. So far I am leaning towards the ATH M50's but I have seen some people say they are outdated. All I am going to use it for is to listen to songs here and there on my iPod. Can anyone recommend a good headphone for a noob?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back