++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 17, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #10,216 of 29,490

Hey guys, 
I just joined this forums after reading many of your views on HD598 and Ad700/AD900's

Now my budget is around 250 for everything I need.
If worst comes to worst I will just buy the AD700 if I need to spend less money.
Now the HD598's are cheaper, so I can be a E11 or the E7. Which one?
Or
AD900's with the E6.

Which one of these 3 builds will be benefit to me.

I mostly listen to my frank sinatra or linkin park pandora radio, along with my games on my computer. Sometimes I like to just have things portable like as I am doing work so the FiiO Amps were an option for me. Now the other question is do I need the DAC from the E7 or not?

Thank You! 

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #10,217 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey guys, 
I just joined this forums after reading many of your views on HD598 and Ad700/AD900's

Now my budget is around 250 for everything I need.
If worst comes to worst I will just buy the AD700 if I need to spend less money.
Now the HD598's are cheaper, so I can be a E11 or the E7. Which one?
Or
AD900's with the E6.

Which one of these 3 builds will be benefit to me.

I mostly listen to my frank sinatra or linkin park pandora radio, along with my games on my computer. Sometimes I like to just have things portable like as I am doing work so the FiiO Amps were an option for me. Now the other question is do I need the DAC from the E7 or not?

Thank You! 

It is generally accepted that the sound card in your computer (if it isn't a more expensive one) will not be as good as the one from a separate DAC. If you only plan on listening from your computer, then I think the better choice (SQ wise) would actually be to purchase the Fiio E10 headphone amp/DAC. Sound quality wise, many reviews claim that it is better than either and can be had for less money. In fact, I plan on purchasing it myself after the holidays. 

As for the headphones, Audio Technica's AD series is fairly well agreed to be perfectly fine without an amp, so that might save you money. I'd personally say to go with the HD 598s with the E10 so you have an amp+DAC (albeit only usable at the desktop).

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #10,218 of 29,490
This might be quite a challenge:

I'm looking for a headset with decent bass, good sound quality and a microphone for up to £35. Obviously I'm not expecting anything amazing in terms of sound quality but I'd like it to be decent at least. Also, I'd like to be able to easily tell the direction of sounds, even if they are stereo headphones.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #10,219 of 29,490

I've been looking at the Shure SRH440,KRK KNS 6400 and several others I'm having trouble deciding what to get my brother for Christmas. He listens to the most electronic music I've ever heard, so I feel like bass is pretty important. That's why I haven't looked too much at the typical entry level open headphones. I'd like them to be over ear because comfort is an issue, he'll be using them well into the AM. Also another important factor is that these won't be amplified, other than maybe a EMU 0202, which doesn't do much. 

I keep getting very mixed reviews on all the headphones that have any real bass presence, so I was hoping for some insight on their sound signatures and perhaps other suggestions for headphones that match the criteria. 

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #10,220 of 29,490

Quote:
It is generally accepted that the sound card in your computer (if it isn't a more expensive one) will not be as good as the one from a separate DAC. If you only plan on listening from your computer, then I think the better choice (SQ wise) would actually be to purchase the Fiio E10 headphone amp/DAC. Sound quality wise, many reviews claim that it is better than either and can be had for less money. In fact, I plan on purchasing it myself after the holidays. 

As for the headphones, Audio Technica's AD series is fairly well agreed to be perfectly fine without an amp, so that might save you money. I'd personally say to go with the HD 598s with the E10 so you have an amp+DAC (albeit only usable at the desktop).

I mean I understand where your coming from. Great Idea. But the thing is I am purchasing my stuff from amazon and the E7 is only about 8 dollars more. I don't really know how much of public use I would use my headphones, I like to have my portability for home use because I normally connect to my phone and just walk around my house doing chores etc. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #10,221 of 29,490
Quote:

Blue Scholars...
cool.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #10,222 of 29,490
I am looking for an IEM between $100 and $250 that would be good for mostly listening to hiphop. I have done a lot of research so far and have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser IE 60s and the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s. Both seems to be very good headphones with great reviews making it hard to decide between the two.
Any suggestions? Or are there other IEMs that I should be considering?
Thanks in advance!

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #10,223 of 29,490
Hi all ,

New to this site and after going through numerous appreciation threads like Sennheiser HD598,Sennheisser HD 25 1 -II  ,Sennheiser hd 448 and many others I am still confused

Basically my requirement is a versatile headphones which works great with movies and games too.As I am not a lan gamer i don't require a microphone and travel a lot I have narrowed my choices to Sennheiser Adidas HD 25  as they are closed ones which would provide good noise insulation while travelling too but heard that they are not too good with movies and games.Anyone can throw a light on it? Also how are the Sennheiser HD 380 pro($130 less), sennheiser's pc 350($50 less price range) or even Sennheiser PXC 450 ($120 more in my country) compared to the hd 25(I know they are meant for different purpose but anyone can compare their versatility?) 

Any other suggestions and please restrict to sennheiser(as these are easily available where I live) if possible?
Main requirements
Portability
Noise isolation(for travel)
Versatile i.e good for music,movies and games(for home)

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #10,225 of 29,490
The only DT770 that works well unamped is the 32-Ohm, but it's the lightest bass of the DT770s.
The DT770 80-Ohm (the bassest one) will work decently unamped, but a headphone amplifier brings out it's best.
The DT770 are fairly durable headphones, I own two (80 and 250-Ohm).

Alright, I've been looking up the Byer 770s in 80 ohm and I found them at Amazon for $180. Any places you know of where I can find it cheaper?

I'll be going in Guitar Center tomorrow to give them a test drive. Any backup pair you would recommend me, preferrably something with a more street design?

Sorry for the accidental post earlier, doin this from my iphone. Thanks for the advice!

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #10,226 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm probably getting some triplefi10s (possibly as a gift)
(I'm much better at audio equipment related to guitar gear lol)

The triple fi are awesome especially if they are a gift. I love mine but now I'm doing the inevitable after getting upgraditis (very contagious around here so it seems) to the JH16's. After having the urge to go back to playing live. I'm also a guitar player. What gear do you have? I'm currently using a Gibson SG Supreme midnight burst through a Marshall JVM410c. I love that classic midrangey crunchy tube sound. Speaking about all this guitar stuff makes me wonder if there is a guitar audiophile forum or maybe a section for that here on head-fi

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #10,227 of 29,490
The triple fi are awesome especially if they are a gift. I love mine but now I'm doing the inevitable after getting upgraditis (very contagious around here so it seems) to the JH16's. After having the urge to go back to playing live. I'm also a guitar player. What gear do you have? I'm currently using a Gibson SG Supreme midnight burst through a Marshall JVM410c. I love that classic midrangey crunchy tube sound. Speaking about all this guitar stuff makes me wonder if there is a guitar audiophile forum or maybe a section for that here on head-fi

Yeah, the main reason I'm looking at some full sizers are for when my ear canals get tired/sore after prolonged use and so I can try multiple headphones to get more into the audiophile thing.

As for my rig I use an Ibanez JemDBK modded up (not the prettiest and been gigged to hell but it plays like butter) and an ibanez rg1527, I decided to delve into 7 strings with that. I hope to get another vintage style guitar tho since I do miss my fender cleans. My amp is a carvin legacy with a modded choke and soon a modded tranny with an added master volume. I swap my od's and distortions a lot but my main fx are from a digitech gsp1101.

Also the closest thing I can think of to a guitar audiophile forum is sevenstring.org, cool guys just I'm not into the heavy scene like half of them are, they have turned me onto some audiophile-esqu gear though, such as the axe-fx, soldano slo and bare knuckle pickups. I'm getting a bare knuckle in my 7 string soon :) ...wish I could afford a soldano or axe fx though haha. The Slo-100 is literally the epitome of guitarist audiophilery (made that word up haha)

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #10,228 of 29,490

Quote:
This might be quite a challenge:

I'm looking for a headset with decent bass, good sound quality and a microphone for up to £35. Obviously I'm not expecting anything amazing in terms of sound quality but I'd like it to be decent at least. Also, I'd like to be able to easily tell the direction of sounds, even if they are stereo headphones.

Plantronics. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #10,229 of 29,490
    I'm looking for a pair of full size headphones to listen to audio from a laptop and desktop setup. My price limit is around 200$, lower is better, the lower limit is 100$.  Currently I only have a laptop so I don't have a good sound card. If I get a pc i plan on building in a X-fi or something in that price range(for the gaming and audio quality). I also plan on getting an amp like the  FiiO e10 USB amp for laptop and or desktop use ( idk if its neccesary if I  have an X-fi).
    I don't particularly like totally closed headphones (some make me feel funky, sick, and get hot...but some seal is fine; I don't want to leak noise all over the place). I also don't usually like in-ear headphones because of the comfort and my concern about listening to my music too loud.  My current headphones are an old pair of JVC HA-G77 . 35$ when I bought them.  I find them to lack some bass (punch and deep bass) and they get uncomfortable on my ears. Also they are a bit too loose, but they've lasted about 8 years. Durability is a plus. I don't want   them breaking when I drop them or the cord fraying like so many portables. 
Music I listen to: most genres including classical. 
I live in a crappy town...anyhow I'll be traveling through/by the following places in NC on my way home: Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Greensborro, Winston Salem. If you know anywhere to try your headphone recommendations in those that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back