++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #10,186 of 29,490
What is your budget? That'll decide a lot of the suggestions.

As for amping, it is important for more power hungry headphones, which tend to be more expensive. You start to see it really become a requirement when looking at full sized headphones in the $200+ bracket. 

Quote:
I've used this site before over the years, but have no never posted. On the market for the first time in a few years so I figured I'd ask for some advice from the experts.

I'm looking for a good set of headphones that:
1.) don't leak much sound
2.) good isolation (though doesn't have to shut me off from the world)
3.) are comfortable enough for my large head/ears (6'4" with matching noggin)
4.) bass isn't the main thing. more concerned with crisp sound in general (if that even makes sense). I listen to just about all music, save some dubstep, country, or metal.
5.) is good on the go. these will primarily used at class, work, walking around different places (not running, mind you), working around the house.
6.) as such, these will mostly be used with my iphone and laptop.

I've read people on here say that there's no point getting headphones that are too nice if you don't wanna buy an amp. Is that true? I'd rather not have one on me at all time, but I also want good sound. For the record, I had some ATH ES7's for the past 3 years and enjoyed them up until the headphone jack broke. I have very little knowledge here, so be open and honest!

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #10,187 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey guys i made a post a while back and figured id confirm what i recieved for advice on here. 

Looking for new headphones to pair with E7/E9.

Preferences are, good deep bass, closed, fun and engaging/forwardish mids and highs, over ear.  Cable length is not a problem. 

Budget is probably at $350 max. 

I was reccomended Denon D2000s, but im reconsidering due to the fact that they are out of stock everywhere. 

Also props to you armaegis, seems like you practically run this thread. 

Sometimes the questions pile up at an alarming rate, but I try my best. There are a few other guys who chip in too.

The D2000s I believe are no longer in production. I think J&R or BHphoto used to have some on sale around $250, but that was a little while ago. Headroom might still have some. I've seen used D5000's in your budget on rare occasion. You could also consider the D1100.

You could maybe consider the Ultrasone Pro900 or HFi780, with the former being more V shaped ("fun"). The Shure 940 also comes to mind. Oh hey or maybe take the plunge on the new AKG K550 and let us know how it sounds 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #10,188 of 29,490
Interesting, just went to this website and it says pre-order. I wonder if this is a hint to a new model? 

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/denon-ah-d2000-around-the-ear-headphones.html

And that just about does it. After looking at headphones for what i want, and hearing all the comparisons i dont think i can enjoy/settle for anything less than the D2000, which i will probably modify to D5000 or more. If not outright buy the D5000s. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #10,190 of 29,490

I've been waiting to get myself a pair of full-size headphones for long road trips. I've been looking around and it's come down to the final two and I can't decide. I've seen a bunch of reviews for each of them. Both claim they have extensive bass and crisp trebles. I listen to heavy bass music such as dubstep, electro, etc. But also indie, rock, chill, reggae. The shure's are $50 cheaper, but lack the *bling*. I'm not saying it doesn't look good, I'm just saying it looks nothing like the crossfades. On the other hand, are the crossfades worth the extra $50 for a full steel case?

It all comes down to sound quality for me. I absolutely LOVE bass (i have a freaking Alpine Type-R in my room) but I also love nice, crisp, clean trebles to pair with the bass. Anybody have any suggestions? I'll be running this on a ZuneHD 32GB.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #10,191 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm probably getting some triplefi10s (possibly as a gift) but I'm still thinking about some full size headphones, you guys help me decide. I will probably use these to listen to music mostly but I may want to play games in them as well (bf3 anyone =D)

I listen to many genres but I mainly listen to rock, prog metal, blues, instrumental, prog jazz and classical. Some examples of my favorites are are Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, SRV, victor Wooten, Marcus miller, Blues Bros and associated acts.

I want them to be very comfortable, portability doesn't matter much to me especially if I get the tf10's. Isolation would be nice but I mainly want them to isolate any bleed to the outside environment. Im not a huge bass head that needs that hip hop thump, I am actually even thinking about relatively flat headphones for mixing my own tracks (guitar/bass usually). But feel free to throw in ideas towards more fun and musical headphones.

For a little more background I have a biosciencegeek cmoy amp, nothing special but it does its job so if a headphone needs some ampage then I at least have the cmoy. I sort of doubt I'll need a better amp since I'm not looking at the super huge expensive headphones and atm most of my music is only in the 224-320kbits range with some 192kbits sadly. But I'm still new to the audiophile scene so I have much to learn so I may be spouting nonsense. (I'm much better at audio equipment related to guitar gear lol)

My budget will probably be $150-200 possibly may be able to put another $50 on top. I looked at the vmoda m80s and they are damn sexy but I'm not sure if over ear would be uncomfortable and/or bleed audio. Also they're a little out of budget.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #10,192 of 29,490

Quote:
What is your budget? That'll decide a lot of the suggestions.

As for amping, it is important for more power hungry headphones, which tend to be more expensive. You start to see it really become a requirement when looking at full sized headphones in the $200+ bracket. 

Yeah had a brain lapse regarding price. Less than $400. Preferably over ear (didn't mention that earlier).

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #10,193 of 29,490
The V-Moda M80 is a good choice that shouldn't require amping, but those are rather bassy headphones. They have incredibly build quality, good isolation, are portable, and have pretty high sound quality for the price.
If you're willing to budge on the over ear part, the Beyerdynamic DT1350 for ~$300 is a very good portable headphone. It was slightly overdamped bass that extends deep, but is a little thin in body, but it is overall a solid all-around headphone with a lot of isolation. Tyll at InnerFidelity has a positive review on it out.
The Sennheiser HD25-II has been a classic portable headphone for years at under $200. Solid articulation, punchy bass, high isolation, pretty comfortable, and a great on-the-go headphone.

Those are the first three to come to mind for me.

Quote:
Yeah had a brain lapse regarding price. Less than $400. Preferably over ear (didn't mention that earlier).

Quote:
I've used this site before over the years, but have no never posted. On the market for the first time in a few years so I figured I'd ask for some advice from the experts.

I'm looking for a good set of headphones that:
1.) don't leak much sound
2.) good isolation (though doesn't have to shut me off from the world)
3.) are comfortable enough for my large head/ears (6'4" with matching noggin)
4.) bass isn't the main thing. more concerned with crisp sound in general (if that even makes sense). I listen to just about all music, save some dubstep, country, or metal.
5.) is good on the go. these will primarily used at class, work, walking around different places (not running, mind you), working around the house.
6.) as such, these will mostly be used with my iphone and laptop.

I've read people on here say that there's no point getting headphones that are too nice if you don't wanna buy an amp. Is that true? I'd rather not have one on me at all time, but I also want good sound. For the record, I had some ATH ES7's for the past 3 years and enjoyed them up until the headphone jack broke. I have very little knowledge here, so be open and honest!

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #10,194 of 29,490
I need advice on a Monster Beats solo alternative, but not for the reason your thinking.  I don't like their sound and i could really give @#@ about looks.  What i do like is the metal headband and the way they fold.  they look very durable and look like they would be pretty portable.  i like the Senn sound signature but i am open to all opinions.  i don't mind buying used or refurb from amazon.  any suggestions on headphones under 150 US.  thanks HeadFI

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #10,195 of 29,490
The highest end option I can think of is that you get a used Sennheiser HD580 for under $200 and run it off your CMoy. It is incredibly similar to the higher end and more expensive HD600. They don't have an especially fun sound signature, but they have great clarity. I honestly think an HD580 is probably one of the best bargains in the headphone world. They're flat and analytic. 

The HD598 is on sale for $155 or so in the Deals Thread. They are authorized, despite that concern on the site. It can be verified here by putting in the HD598 into http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_dealer-locator_authorized-retailers . That's a killer deal on that headphone.

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm probably getting some triplefi10s (possibly as a gift) but I'm still thinking about some full size headphones, you guys help me decide. I will probably use these to listen to music mostly but I may want to play games in them as well (bf3 anyone =D)
I listen to many genres but I mainly listen to rock, prog metal, blues, instrumental, prog jazz and classical. Some examples of my favorites are are Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, SRV, victor Wooten, Marcus miller, Blues Bros and associated acts.
I want them to be very comfortable, portability doesn't matter much to me especially if I get the tf10's. Isolation would be nice but I mainly want them to isolate any bleed to the outside environment. Im not a huge bass head that needs that hip hop thump, I am actually even thinking about relatively flat headphones for mixing my own tracks (guitar/bass usually). But feel free to throw in ideas towards more fun and musical headphones.
For a little more background I have a biosciencegeek cmoy amp, nothing special but it does its job so if a headphone needs some ampage then I at least have the cmoy. I sort of doubt I'll need a better amp since I'm not looking at the super huge expensive headphones and atm most of my music is only in the 224-320kbits range with some 192kbits sadly. But I'm still new to the audiophile scene so I have much to learn so I may be spouting nonsense. (I'm much better at audio equipment related to guitar gear lol)
My budget will probably be $150-200 possibly may be able to put another $50 on top. I looked at the vmoda m80s and they are damn sexy but I'm not sure if over ear would be uncomfortable and/or bleed audio. Also they're a little out of budget.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #10,196 of 29,490

Hey guys, 
I just joined this forums after reading many of your views on HD598 and Ad700/AD900's

Now my budget is around 250 for everything I need.
If worst comes to worst I will just buy the AD700 if I need to spend less money.
Now the HD598's are cheaper, so I can be a E11 or the E7. Which one?
Or
AD900's with the E6.

Which one of these 3 builds will be benefit to me.

I mostly listen to my frank sinatra or linkin park pandora radio, along with my games on my computer. Sometimes I like to just have things portable like as I am doing work so the FiiO Amps were an option for me. Now the other question is do I need the DAC from the E7 or not?

Thank You!

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #10,197 of 29,490
Well I'm going to check those out tonight and see what I can do, I think the hd598s are slightly gaudy but hell if I can get sweet headphones ate a good price, might as well.

Also are the m80s out of the equation because of the extra bassiness or because isolation? I'm not opposed to on ear, my main concern was the isolation/comfort difference if there is one; however, I should say comfort comes first, isolating the outside isn't much of a concern and isolating the audio that bleeds out of the headphones doesn't matter too much since I realize if I need that isolation I can just throw in my tf10s. The build quality and mic cables (also my slight crush I have on it's looks) are why I bring this up, they are very desirable. Thanks a ton for the reply, timely too!

The highest end option I can think of is that you get a used Sennheiser HD580 for under $200 and run it off your CMoy. It is incredibly similar to the higher end and more expensive HD600. They don't have an especially fun sound signature, but they have great clarity. I honestly think an HD580 is probably one of the best bargains in the headphone world. They're flat and analytic. 

The HD598 is on sale for $155 or so in the Deals Thread. They are authorized, despite that concern on the site. It can be verified here by putting in the HD598 into http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_dealer-locator_authorized-retailers . That's a killer deal on that headphone.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #10,199 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm new to Head-fi, and I'm hoping I'm doing this right, and I need some guidance/advice.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones, just a pair that I can enjoy, and my budget is around $200 tops. I listen to a lot of different music genres, but mostly hip hop, so I like my bass prevalent, but I also listen to classical and soundtracks and jazz and some rock, and I just want to enjoy them all. I have owned a pair of dre beats solo HDs, which I heard were frowned upon by real audiophiles. They were cool in the beginning, but now they kind of hurt my ears whenever I have them on, and my leather headband fell off as well, and I'm beginning to just not be satisfied with them. I have owned a zune hd, but I'm probably going to switch to an ipod classic, due to my zune being damaged, and only works out of the right headphone (for any headphone). I've been trying to make my decision, and have been looking at reviews and affordable pairs for a couple of days now. I love music, been playing the horn for seven years now, and I want to enjoy it when I'm listening to it. I looked into Grado sr60i's and I've heard things about them that are good, but also bad, like sharp highs. I really don't have much experience with any headphones because I am just now beginning to crave a better experience, and my past involves sets like skullcandy, and cheap wal mart buds. I have also seen that senn hd 280s are great, and the koss portapros. I really am at a loss, and I just want a good pair that I will enjoy, and are durable. Like I mentioned, I like my bass prevalent, but I'm looking for the most natural, and overall pleasant sound I can get with a $200 dollar budget. I know it's not much , but I want the best I can get, and I would appreciate the help and advice from what I believe to be very seasoned audiophiles. Thanks for reading, and I hope I can make the right decision.
~Kevin

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #10,200 of 29,490
Ah, my apologies. I don't plan on getting an amp, at least not yet, I don't even know the purpose of one. And portability isn't really a factor, just something I can listen to at home, in the car, walking on campus, watching netflix, and pretty much every day versatile use. Thank you.
~Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back