++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #10,127 of 29,490
This is gonna be a tough one.

Sub-$50, maybe a little more if really necessary.
Closed - good isolation.
Decently portable - not like my JVC HA-RX700s which are massive...
Decent looking.
Good sound.

Anyone?

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #10,128 of 29,490

Quote:
What do you guys think about the Audio Technica ATH-M35's? They seem like decent headphones for a decent price?

Cheap Audio Technicas are trash, imo.  That said, I've never heard the M35s. What's your price range and music preferences (bass/treblehead/midjunkie)? Open/Closed?

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #10,129 of 29,490

Quote:
Cheap Audio Technicas are trash, imo.  That said, I've never heard the M35s. What's your price range and music preferences (bass/treblehead/midjunkie)? Open/Closed?

well theyre like $60 and so far theyre the ones i like best. Heres a review of them.

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/audio-technica-ath-m35-review-185666.html.

Im willing to drop anywhere under $150. But for that kind of money i would expect amazing. Well i listen to indie/hip hop/electronic so i like bass but its not the main thing i just want an overall good pair of headphones. Ill probably be listening to them around school and at home and stuff so i probably want them closed. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #10,130 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I am looking for new headphones: I was looking at the Sony MDR-7506, but I think I want a headphone with a little more character.

1) I want a fairly flat response with a slightly increased bass (I don't want it to kick me in the head, but I want a nice love tap, if that makes sense)
2) My ears are really sensitive to super bright headphones , so a slight dip or a flat high end is preferable
3) A slightly elevated mid range would be nice, but not much - again I want these relatively flat.
4) $300 or less (Please do NOT recommend anything above it because I cannot go above this price)
5) I love a huge soundstage

If you want a huge soundstage, you might want to pick up some open headphones. Here's a link that might help:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/572823/bass-heavy-open-headphones
If those don't interest you, you can check out the denon d2000. They have slightly elevated bass, good mids, good highs, and a decent soundstage for a closed can. There are some on sale now for 250.
Quote:

Closed - good isolation.
Decent looking.
Good sound.

Anyone?

Might want to try this:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-htf600-s-step-monitor/reviews/5748

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #10,133 of 29,490
Hello again Head-Fi'ers.
I received my ATH pro 700 MKIIs on Monday and have been rigorously testing them since. I've found that they really don't sound that great when plugged in to any of my portable devices (in all honesty, not much better than my CX6 IEM) however,when plugged in to anything with a good inbuilt amp (my keyboard, and HiFi) they sound so much better. So of course I am now interested in a portable amp for them, so that they also stand out while on the go!

I've taken a look around, the marketplace seems to be dominated by the FiiO brand here in the UK and pretty much each of their product descriptions make them out to be the best thing since bread. So in short, which FiiO would be best suited to power the ATH 700's nicely? I've heard the E5 is rather useless as an actual amp, so I'll rule that out.
The E7 seems like the best bet considering it has USB connectivity and it's own, 80 hour, battery life, where as the more expensive E10 only has USB connectivity?
I also noticed the E11, which didn't seem to do anything that the E7 didn't do either, perhaps it provides more power (given it has a similar battery to the E7, but only 1/8th of the life)?
Anyway, can anyone clear up the differences (pros/cons) in the FiiO range, or let me know if there is there anything else worth considering as a portable amplifier?
Again, thanks in advance for any advice!

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #10,134 of 29,490
Thank you armaegis. I am new and don't know how to quote my old post. Im on the page before this. I owned the px100 and heard the px200 and wasn't a fan of the signature. I love female vocals, Taylor Swift and Adele. I'm willing to spend under $100 but if I don't have to spend the full 100 that would be better. I just don't want to keep upgrading. I want vocal clarity with a good amount of instrument separation if that makes sense. Also remember im coming off the Akg 430s. Any suggestions, I'm looking at the pro dj 100 but I'm open to suggestions 

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #10,135 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello again Head-Fi'ers.
I received my ATH pro 700 MKIIs on Monday and have been rigorously testing them since. I've found that they really don't sound that great when plugged in to any of my portable devices (in all honesty, not much better than my CX6 IEM) however,when plugged in to anything with a good inbuilt amp (my keyboard, and HiFi) they sound so much better. So of course I am now interested in a portable amp for them, so that they also stand out while on the go!

I've taken a look around, the marketplace seems to be dominated by the FiiO brand here in the UK and pretty much each of their product descriptions make them out to be the best thing since bread. So in short, which FiiO would be best suited to power the ATH 700's nicely? I've heard the E5 is rather useless as an actual amp, so I'll rule that out.
The E7 seems like the best bet considering it has USB connectivity and it's own, 80 hour, battery life, where as the more expensive E10 only has USB connectivity?
I also noticed the E11, which didn't seem to do anything that the E7 didn't do either, perhaps it provides more power (given it has a similar battery to the E7, but only 1/8th of the life)?
Anyway, can anyone clear up the differences (pros/cons) in the FiiO range, or let me know if there is there anything else worth considering as a portable amplifier?

Here are some links to check out:
http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e11-portable-amplifier/
http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/
http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #10,136 of 29,490

Quote:
The M80 is a really good all-rounder. You could also consider a Phiaton MS300/400.

Thanks for the reply! For my preference do you think the Phiaton MS400 would be better suited? I checked a few reviews on them and they seem to be well recieved, and shouldn't need much amping. Also I am going to purchase the Monoprice HiFi DJ (same as the Kickers) just for the hell of it since they are only $20. I'll probably give a couple as Xmas presents if I don't end up keeping them. Thanks again!

Alex

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #10,137 of 29,490
Hello all, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will (in sound) be the headphone equivalent of my JVC FXT90s. I previously thought of myself as a basshead, but its becoming clear that I very much enjoy sharp, crystal clear mids and highs as well. I listen to a lot of electronica and electronic orchestral music, and I believe the soundstage and the overall fun factor is second to none. The FXT90, I use with my Rockbox Clip+ with a slight EQ bump in 50-60Hz frequencies. I have a Digizoid ZO2 on the way for use with my Zune 120, and am considering:

a) BeyerdynamicsDT880 Pro (250 ohm)
b) AKG K701/2

Since I'm still very much a n00b, I have no idea how far off my expectations and assumptions are, and would love some feedback on my choices, and indeed any other viable alternatives to them. My budget ceiling currently remains at around $350.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #10,138 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for headphones that have great detail, clarity, and soundstage for under $100. I have the m50 which are great, but was wondering if there was anything better in those terms. I have listened to the dj100 which were nice but uncomfortable and the 428s which I thought had a little more seperation and soundstage then the m50.  The headphones can be open and don't have to be portable.

Thanks!

I'd shoot for something like a Sennheiser HD555/558 then. 

Quote:
Hey guys, was hoping to get some recommendations on buying new headphones. Just got a new job where i can listen to music so i've decided to do some investing :D. freakin skull candy earbuds are destroying my soul. anyway, im upgrading from sennheiser hd-590's, which are pretty old, they sound pretty decent but the bass is kinda lackluster (although they are insanely comfortable). im not a huge bass-head either, i checked out the dre beat pros at best buy and if anything they were tiny bit bass-heavy for me (also i don't know all the audiophile terminology but ive heard people use the word "muddy" and they sounded a little like that to me a little as far as clarity goes regarding the more vocal and instrumental sounds). i've been considering the audio technica m50, FA-003, denon d2000 and the krk 8400, however here is what im looking for in a headphone right now. 

Price Range- $425 and under
Type - closed over-ear, sound proof not required but sound reducing is a plus
Source - ipod, no amplifier but i would consider if you guys recommended it enough
Comfort - high, since i will be wearing them in 2 hour intervals totaling 8 hours a day (just a note, the dre beats pros were way too tight for my head!)

i listen to a lot of types of music, but if i had to break it down the genres would be something like this.
50% hip hop
20% vocal heavy with piano/guitar (ie. city and colour, adele, jim croce, jack johnson)
20% rock (ie. beatles, minus the bear, phoenix, AFI, arcade fire, red hot chili peppers)
10% instrumental (ie. rjd2, nujabes, russian circles, ancient astronauts)

if you guys could give me some recommendations/advice i would greatly appreciate it! after i decide ill write up a review once i get them. thanks!

I'd go with the D2000 (you can find them for $250-300) and maybe consider some upgraded pads to improve seal and comfort. 

Quote:
I am looking to get a good a good headset to pair with my Creative Recon3D which I use on my XBOX 360. I curently have a Sennheisser PC360 but I use that mainly for PC gaming and was wondering if the Creative Tactics3D Sigma was any good. The only difference between the Sigma and Omega is wired vs wireless? Because the price difference is massive.

Omega $197 : http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Wireless-Headset/dp/B0058D8D3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323864827&sr=8-1
Sigma: $54 : http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Headset-70GH014000002/dp/B0041OMWNY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Edit: I see they make a Tactic360 Sigma headset for the XBOX360, would this one be better to pair with the Recon3D?

Why not just use your PC360 on your xbox? The Senn is arguably a leap ahead of all those other options.

Quote:
Can someone explain how  "Wow effect" on Wmp works, and which of these two headphones naturally recreates that effect better. (Ath-m50 vs Senn hd 598)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-10921_7-6384149-4.html

Quote:
So if i'm looking to have a custom chassis made up, and am making a psuedo-mock up in Google sketch-up, who should I show the design to so things can get made?

I've tried googling custom metal work, etc. Nothing has shown up yet though
I'm in Australia.

Machine shops are typically where you'd go. Prices are likely going to be high though... custom chassis are very expensive depending how they're designed. 

Quote:
Ahoi Shipmates! As many have said before, i too have just started looking into some decent headphones. I was originally going to go for Beats by Dre Pro's, till i seen so much hate for them. Searching about it seemed they were more for the looks rather than sound. But...i haven't seen many headphones that look that good. To be fair, i don't even know where to start looking.

I'm about to start collecting vinyl, so the main use will be for listening at home. But i was also looking to take them out when I'm out shopping for mp3 playback ect ect. Music taste, I'm into pretty much everything, mostly rock though. I'm looking for something Under £300, aesthetically pleasing. Other than the pro's i was looking at the B&W P5's. Other than that I'm pretty lost.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

V-Moda LP2 or M80
Phiaton MS300/400
B&W P5

Quote:
For best sound regarding my last post which Headphones should I go with; these are the ones that I looked at the Apple and Sony Store:

MDR-V700DJ

MDR-V500DJ

MDR-nc7

sol republic

bose qc15

or should I try to find something else, and if something else can you give me some good recemedations?

The V700 are decent. The V6/7506 is also a staple, and the ZX700 are quite highly regarded.

Quote:
Hey all, I am looking for new headphones: I was looking at the Sony MDR-7506, but I think I want a headphone with a little more character.

1) I want a fairly flat response with a slightly increased bass (I don't want it to kick me in the head, but I want a nice love tap, if that makes sense)
2) My ears are really sensitive to super bright headphones , so a slight dip or a flat high end is preferable
3) A slightly elevated mid range would be nice, but not much - again I want these relatively flat.
4) $300 or less (Please do NOT recommend anything above it because I cannot go above this price)
5) I love a huge soundstage

KRK 6400
V-Moda M80

Quote:
What do you guys think about the Audio Technica ATH-M35's? They seem like decent headphones for a decent price?

That pretty much sums them up... decent sound, decent price... for a few bucks more I'd get the M40

Quote:

Closed - good isolation.
Decent looking.
Good sound.

Anyone?

Senn HD202, or maybe a used Sony V6/7506

Quote:
Hello again Head-Fi'ers.

e7 - portable dac and amp
e10 - dac/amp usb only
e11 - portable amp only (charges via usb)

It sounds like the e7 will be the most suitable for you since you can use it as a portable amp when on the go, or plugged into your computer/laptop. 

Quote:
Thank you armaegis. I am new and don't know how to quote my old post. Im on the page before this. I owned the px100 and heard the px200 and wasn't a fan of the signature. I love female vocals, Taylor Swift and Adele. I'm willing to spend under $100 but if I don't have to spend the full 100 that would be better. I just don't want to keep upgrading. I want vocal clarity with a good amount of instrument separation if that makes sense. Also remember im coming off the Akg 430s. Any suggestions, I'm looking at the pro dj 100 but I'm open to suggestions 

Hmm...
Sony V6/7506
Beyer DT235
Shure 440

Quote:
 Thanks for the reply! For my preference do you think the Phiaton MS400 would be better suited? I checked a few reviews on them and they seem to be well recieved, and shouldn't need much amping. Also I am going to purchase the Monoprice HiFi DJ (same as the Kickers) just for the hell of it since they are only $20. I'll probably give a couple as Xmas presents if I don't end up keeping them. Thanks again!

Alex

The MS400 has a warmer sound and isolates better, but I'd say the technical merit badge goes to the M80. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #10,139 of 29,490
I was looking for some headphones for around 100$. I want them for listening to music (mostly portable music) and gaming. I listen to mostly like rock and alternative. Im not sure if im a bass head or not but i guess you can say i like the little "thump" you get. I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, but im not sure if their any good for playing video games or not. Their currently priced at 160$ and i dont think i wana spend more than that. Also, would anyone recommend me buying refurbished headphones http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=ATH-M50s-FR&source=bing? Is there any other headphones you would recommend other than the ad700s, because i have a small head and their kinda big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back