++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 14, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #10,111 of 29,490
@evarin I would like to add that quite a number of people say that the D7000 is not worth the jump from the lower models (D2/5000). 

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #10,112 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for headphones that have great detail, clarity, and soundstage for under $100. I have the m50 which are great, but was wondering if there was anything better in those terms. I have listened to the dj100 which were nice but uncomfortable and the 428s which I thought had a little more seperation and soundstage then the m50.  The headphones can be open and don't have to be portable.

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #10,113 of 29,490
Hey guys, was hoping to get some recommendations on buying new headphones. Just got a new job where i can listen to music so i've decided to do some investing :D. freakin skull candy earbuds are destroying my soul. anyway, im upgrading from sennheiser hd-590's, which are pretty old, they sound pretty decent but the bass is kinda lackluster (although they are insanely comfortable). im not a huge bass-head either, i checked out the dre beat pros at best buy and if anything they were tiny bit bass-heavy for me (also i don't know all the audiophile terminology but ive heard people use the word "muddy" and they sounded a little like that to me a little as far as clarity goes regarding the more vocal and instrumental sounds). i've been considering the audio technica m50, FA-003, denon d2000 and the krk 8400, however here is what im looking for in a headphone right now. 

Price Range- $425 and under
Type - closed over-ear, sound proof not required but sound reducing is a plus
Source - ipod, no amplifier but i would consider if you guys recommended it enough
Comfort - high, since i will be wearing them in 2 hour intervals totaling 8 hours a day (just a note, the dre beats pros were way too tight for my head!)

i listen to a lot of types of music, but if i had to break it down the genres would be something like this.
50% hip hop
20% vocal heavy with piano/guitar (ie. city and colour, adele, jim croce, jack johnson)
20% rock (ie. beatles, minus the bear, phoenix, AFI, arcade fire, red hot chili peppers)
10% instrumental (ie. rjd2, nujabes, russian circles, ancient astronauts)

if you guys could give me some recommendations/advice i would greatly appreciate it! after i decide ill write up a review once i get them. thanks!

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #10,114 of 29,490
I am looking to get a good a good headset to pair with my Creative Recon3D which I use on my XBOX 360. I curently have a Sennheisser PC360 but I use that mainly for PC gaming and was wondering if the Creative Tactics3D Sigma was any good. The only difference between the Sigma and Omega is wired vs wireless? Because the price difference is massive.

Omega $197 : http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Wireless-Headset/dp/B0058D8D3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323864827&sr=8-1
Sigma: $54 : http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Headset-70GH014000002/dp/B0041OMWNY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Edit: I see they make a Tactic360 Sigma headset for the XBOX360, would this one be better to pair with the Recon3D?

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #10,115 of 29,490

Quote:
@evarin I would like to add that quite a number of people say that the D7000 is not worth the jump from the lower models (D2/5000). 

I've read that as well, though if I am thinking that if I can get the 7k's at about 100 above the 5k's it might be worth it even with the diminishing returns. I will need to do some more reading into the Beyer's flagship closed headphones and see how they stack up in terms of price and performance.

Can you guys tell me where I might be able to get my hands on these types of headphones in the Baltimore/DC area? I live in Frederick MD, and I simply haven't found anywhere near me with a high end headphone retailer. Any suggestions on where I could get a listen of the D7k's or the Beyer line would be extremely helpful.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #10,116 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking to get a good a good headset to pair with my Creative Recon3D which I use on my XBOX 360. I curently have a Sennheisser PC360 but I use that mainly for PC gaming and was wondering if the Creative Tactics3D Sigma was any good. The only difference between the Sigma and Omega is wired vs wireless? Because the price difference is massive.

Omega $197 : http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Wireless-Headset/dp/B0058D8D3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323864827&sr=8-1
Sigma: $54 : http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Headset-70GH014000002/dp/B0041OMWNY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Edit: I see they make a Tactic360 Sigma headset for the XBOX360, would this one be better to pair with the Recon3D?

If you haven't already I would highly suggest popping over to this thread and see if MLE & Co. hasn't already reviewed the products in question. If not, post in the thread and you'll likely get as detailed a response as you could hope for: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Have you looked into using an Astro Mixamp 5.8 (or wired if you want to go cheaper?) Pairing those with the PC 360's for console gaming (PS3, 360, etc) has produced VERY positive reviews from anyone who has attempted the setup.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #10,118 of 29,490
So if i'm looking to have a custom chassis made up, and am making a psuedo-mock up in Google sketch-up, who should I show the design to so things can get made?

I've tried googling custom metal work, etc. Nothing has shown up yet though
I'm in Australia.

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #10,119 of 29,490
Ahoi Shipmates! As many have said before, i too have just started looking into some decent headphones. I was originally going to go for Beats by Dre Pro's, till i seen so much hate for them. Searching about it seemed they were more for the looks rather than sound. But...i haven't seen many headphones that look that good. To be fair, i don't even know where to start looking.

I'm about to start collecting vinyl, so the main use will be for listening at home. But i was also looking to take them out when I'm out shopping for mp3 playback ect ect. Music taste, I'm into pretty much everything, mostly rock though. I'm looking for something Under £300, aesthetically pleasing. Other than the pro's i was looking at the B&W P5's. Other than that I'm pretty lost.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #10,120 of 29,490

Quote:
Music taste, I'm into pretty much everything, mostly rock though. I'm looking for something Under £300, aesthetically pleasing. 

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

This might sound really cliche... but you might want to look into getting some Grados, used or new. They are not very comfortable though as they sit on your ear but most people get used to it. You might want to poke around in the Grado fan club thread to ask more questions. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #10,121 of 29,490
I disagree partially.  The "comfy pads" are actually pretty comfortable.  All the other ones blow though where that is concerned.

Quote:
This might sound really cliche... but you might want to look into getting some Grados, used or new. They are not very comfortable though as they sit on your ear but most people get used to it. You might want to poke around in the Grado fan club thread to ask more questions. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #10,122 of 29,490
They are supra-aural and have quite a fair bit of clamping force in stock. 

I didn't even make any mention of pads...

but imo, the comfies feels like sandpaper. 

The Sennheiser pads are much better, but the bowls offer a sonically superior sound (ymmv).

Still waiting on the stock to arrive in SG. Can't believe it's been over 2 months. Phail.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #10,123 of 29,490
They do feel that way until you wash them.  Sennheiser pads are light years ahead in comfort.

Quote:
They are supra-aural and have quite a fair bit of clamping force in stock. 

I didn't even make any mention of pads...

but imo, the comfies feels like sandpaper. 

The Sennheiser pads are much better, but the bowls offer a sonically superior sound (ymmv).

Still waiting on the stock to arrive in SG. Can't believe it's been over 2 months. Phail.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #10,124 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for the best Headphones I can get from near local store such as Apple, Best Buy, Frys and where ever else that might have headphones.

Budget ~ $300

Looking for an over the ear headphone at local stores, will not be used with amps, and most likely will not be used with any sort of equaliser program.

Will be used for:
  - Gaming (Starcraft, Assassin's Creed, ect._
  - Watching Anime
  - Watching Streams (JTv / TwitchTv)
  - Music:
        #Té - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YhFHqIlaY&feature=BFa&list=PLAB3887FFE4C8F8BD&lf=results_main
        #Saycet - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Saycet&oq=Saycet&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2463l6238l0l7229l16l13l6l0l0l0l209l723l4.2.1l7l0
        #Toe - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Toe&oq=Toe&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=52123l52408l0l52490l3l2l0l0l0l0l63l121l2l2l0
           &Other Anime / Japanese Music, I listen to a bit ither genere as well but not as often, Dubstep & Remix would probably be my 2nd type of music I listen to most.

Info:
I've bought the Dr. Dre Studio Beats I love the looks of it so much, but for $300 I was not satify muddy highs and mids, it has like this white noise that can be heard when theres no music on, headphones puts a tad to much pressure on my head. Other then being negative they are very good loud sounding headphones and has nice base I guess. I've been thinking about geting the Bose Q15, but I've been reading that they are just a over hype brand. I've compared the Dr. Dre Studio Beats with my cousin's Bose Q15 and the Bose Q15 are better in my oppion, that have better dynamic sounds, better quality sound, but the bass is weak and the volume is fairly low compared to the Studios.

Bose and Dr. Dre are like the onle 2 that I saw that seemed nice for an over the ear headphone, but then again I know very little about headphones. If nothing else I'm goin return these Studio for the Bose but I would like some expert oppion on Headphones before I go make the exchange.

I want to buy my Headphones from a local store so that if I have any problems with them I can just return them easily, without having to ship them back online.

So can you reccomend me some good headphones I can get at my local stores?

Apple

Frys

Bestbuy

I will edit this post after I get back from work to add more info and make it more clean.

Thank You for your time on reading this out, hope to see many informative replys ♪

For best sound regarding my last post which Headphones should I go with; these are the ones that I looked at the Apple and Sony Store:

MDR-V700DJ

MDR-V500DJ

MDR-nc7

sol republic

bose qc15

or should I try to find something else, and if something else can you give me some good recemedations?

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #10,125 of 29,490
Hey all, I am looking for new headphones: I was looking at the Sony MDR-7506, but I think I want a headphone with a little more character.

1) I want a fairly flat response with a slightly increased bass (I don't want it to kick me in the head, but I want a nice love tap, if that makes sense)
2) My ears are really sensitive to super bright headphones , so a slight dip or a flat high end is preferable
3) A slightly elevated mid range would be nice, but not much - again I want these relatively flat.
4) $300 or less (Please do NOT recommend anything above it because I cannot go above this price)
5) I love a huge soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back