++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #9,916 of 29,490
Looking for headphones to upgrade out of my Panasonic RP-DJS400s, I liked them, but the head band seemed to be made of stale chips. Brittle as screw. Anyway, after spending 2.5 months with them and getting them reordered under warranty TWICE (i broke the headband twice), my patience has been exceeded and I simply need an upgrade into some durable headphone.

What do I want?
- 0-100ish (I'm okay with going a lil over, but would prefer under) dollars.
- Something that'll raise me correctly as an audiophile (I dont wanna revert back to the "Lol skullcandies and bose" stage.*shiver*" Anyway, I'm really starting to get a finer ear for sound quality now as a trip to the Sony Style store really left me with a lot of opinions on each headphones. Its a nice feelings knowing that you know which is better and which is overpriced.
- Treble, Mid, and Bass are all important to me obviously, but I dont want somethign that has bass that'll sound like a rocket is blasting off right next to my ear. Powerful bass is nice, but dont overdo it. Also, I learned to appreciate treble as I started out on Sony Giiq's (yeah you can all laugh now, but we all started somewhere!).
- DURABILTIY. BIIIG ONE RIGHT HERE.
- Comfortability. These'll be everywhere with me. When I eat, when I'm walking home, when I'm in my room, etc. Gotta be comfortable around the next and on the ears :)
- Some styling. Im not asking for super stylish ones, as even the MDR-V6 Sony's are decently styled enough for me, but lets not pick out the ugliest headphones of life :frowning2: Like the GS1000s (dont bite me D: I know they sound like an angel's choir, I just dont like how they look, thats it.)
-I'll probably be running the Fiio E6 with it. It's getting shipped to me as we speak, so I dont know what else to say about em other than the headphones will be amplified most of the time.

Thanks! :) Hope I can get some help here! :)

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #9,917 of 29,490
Looking for something around $200

If anyone uses IEMs, I really enjoyed the sound signature my RE0s (besides build quality).

Something that's bright, transparent, analytical and articulate. As well as a spacious soundstage. 

Suggestions?

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #9,918 of 29,490

Quote:
Here are some of the recommendations I have hauled in ... plus an interesting twist.

Today at work, a guy hears me talking about headphones and he says, 'I actually have a pair of headphones I am looking to get rid of because I don't need them anymore'.  Then he goes on to tell me they are Bose something or others and sends me this link http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-7877_7-21174534.html .  He also said that he would sell me these for only 130$.  I told him to bring them in tomorrow and I would give a listen but nobody who replied to my cries for help suggested a Bose product.  Interesting huh?

Anyway ... here is what people have weighed in with:

- SONY MDR-ZX700
 - DENON AH-D2000
 - BEYERDYNAMIC DT 1350
 - SENNHEISER PX-200II

I have to admit, the names that I knew of before this hunt are not the names I am being presented with and that is a bit of a shock.  Frankly, it seems like whatever I would buy at BestBuy would be junk.  That seems so strange and I can't figure out why a store like that wouldn't carry these products that get great reviews and such.  Its probably the whole big box attitude or something.

Thank you to all who replied. I'm doing my homework on these models trying to make a judgement call on what will do the job.  I really appreciate the feedback.

A head-fier once said... Bose = Buy other sound equipment. If you have the money, the Denons are the best. I'm sure they will last, and you can mod them if you want. The headphones most stores carry are "style" headphones. Audiophile headphones are different entirely. I wouldn't recommend getting the Bose. I doubt too many people on this site would.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #9,919 of 29,490
Hey. First poster here.
Looking for a pair of headphones with extreme noise isolation. My home tv is in the same room as my computer as well as a wood stove with a VERY loud blower. Im looking to eliminate these noises as much as possible. (ambient noise is almost always over 70 decibels)

Price range : 150 but cheaper is better (<100 would be great)
Primary function: Noise is olation

I own a pair of Semnheiser HD 555s (foam modded) and love the comfort and sound quality. But when i want some peace and quiet they really do not cut it.

I would perfer passive noise cancelling if possible as the sound from the tv varies alot and i doubt active noise cancellation would be very effective. I dont care about brand/portability or sound quality. These are for studying purposes.

Some models i have thought of :

Koss QZ5
Audio Technica ATH-ANC7D
Beyerdynamic DT770

thanks a ton.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #9,921 of 29,490

Quote:
Does it need a new sound card? cause I'm only using Realtek on-board sound card,

On-board sound can usually work fine with headphones in the 25-Ohm to 65-Ohm.
But using a dedicated headphone amplifier can usually improve the sound of headphones over on-board sound, to some degree or another.
Sennheiser HD-558s are 50-Ohms.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) that comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms.
Comes with Dolby headphone, great for DVD movies and helps with some games.

Fiio E10 headphone amplifier/DAC, plugs into a computer's USB port.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #9,924 of 29,490
Hey everyone!  I bought a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's a few weeks ago, and I have been really enjoying them.  I however have caught the "upgrade bug" and have decided that I need a pair of open head phones to give myself another "sonic point of view", if you will.  I have been toying with the idea of getting the Sennheiser HD650's, but I am a little concerned about the dark veil that everyone talks about.  I want something that is different than the Ultrasones because I enjoy all different types of music.  I feel like Ultrasones are my go-to for hip-hop and house/trance, so I'd really like a pair that would excel in the mid-range and work best with classic rock and classical music.  As far as price range is concerned, I would really like to keep it around $350-400.  I will be purchasing an amp and a DAC to go with this new pair as well, but I haven't been able to decided yet.  I have been leaning towards maybe the Schiit Biforst + Asgard because their website is so witty!  Anyways, thank you in advance!

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #9,925 of 29,490

Quote:
Which one would you recommend i get? Xonar DG or the Fiio? Any significant difference between the Xonar DG, DS, and DX's? or the X-Fi's are better?

If all you care about is good stereo 2.0 channel sound, then get the Fiio.

The DS or DX would not be any better for headphones over the DG, and the DG is cheaper.

X-Fi cards are the best pick for game support.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #9,926 of 29,490
Gaming related question:
I got some Sennheiser 598s, i was wondering, when i'm in a game, what settings do i use for them? just set the audio to headphones? or 5.1? 7.1?

Pardon the noob question, i'm a audio noob.

Thanks!

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #9,927 of 29,490

Quote:
If all you care about is good stereo 2.0 channel sound, then get the Fiio.

The DS or DX would not be any better for headphones over the DG, and the DG is cheaper.

X-Fi cards are the best pick for game support.

Well i currently have my sights on the Beyerdynamics DT880 Pro. I was thinking Xonar DG for when im using it on my PC and a DAC/Amp when i use it with my Samsung Galaxy S2?

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #9,928 of 29,490

Quote:
Try the Koss DJ100 http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Pro-Professional-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI

Well regarded, quality cans. It's tone should be pleasing to you based on your preferences. Also, if you don't like them for some reason, the Sony V6 is a good option.

Ah thanks, I'll read up on those Koss. Yeah a LOT of people have been referring me to the Sony's, and today I went into Sony Style and tried on the V600. Obviously the V6 and V600 sound differently, but the build are identical. They're comfy as all hell! :D

Also, I've been looking at  the Shure SRH750DJ too; no one particularily recomended them to me, I just found a lot of people with similar "headphone preferences" as me have those.

Oh. And the M50s were always up there. Still undecided to that though, need to do some more reading and looking and trying and such.

Also, it's nice to know I'm not the only guy on the forum who seemed to know what the DJS400s sound like :) No one  but you has made any comparison to them, or even a comment to them. :/ Must be real uncommon or something.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #9,929 of 29,490
hey guys. now that ive got my the iems that i wanted, its time to ask for a full size for christmas. im really looking for accurate reproduction, a flat frequency reponse and im hoping to keep it under $100, what would you guys reccomend. so far ive only really looked at the Sennheiser HD448, akg k99 or k240, CAD MH310 audio technica aths, sony mdr

i want an over the ear design. also would having an open back make them more comfortable in the long run? thanks so much

again looking for accurate reproduction. both my iems are balanced armature based, i really like to hear the music as it should be. thing is, today i put on my friends cans and my god the soundstage was so much nicer sounding right off the bat, so i want to get myself a pair.

thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back