++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 5, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #9,871 of 29,490

Quote:
Before I pull the trigger real soon, I just want to make sure that the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm is a good choice for a person that's receiving a good pair of closed-cans? He's mainly going to use it for movies. Another question is that how long does it take to break these in? It's just that its going to be going to be his Xmas present and I hope the quality will be there for what I'm paying for.
On another note, I'm ordering my Audio Technica ATH-M50s (coiled) today. It's going to be my first audiophile phones.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm will work without a headphone amplifier, but it's best to use one.
Does your friend have headphone amplifier?

Break in time, just leave them hook up and running when not being used, 50 hours maybe.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #9,872 of 29,490
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm will work without a headphone amplifier, but it's best to use one.
Does your friend have headphone amplifier?

Break in time, just leave them hook up and running when not being used, 50 hours maybe.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I appreciate it.

He does not have an amplifier. But if does decide to buy one, it will have to be later on in the future.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #9,873 of 29,490
Hello all im looking for a nice entry level closed ear ive been looking at the Shure SRH840.
im look to use these headphones for personal listening, like ipod and desktop
I listen to rock like foo fighters, zeppelin, mudvayne,
Acoustic like ray lamontagne and Tommy Emannuelle.   
I was wonder if these would get the job done im looking for something with good isolation, good seperation and a somewhat analytical sound
and was wondering how these would take to an amp because id like to experience an actually rig

Thanks,
Monty

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #9,874 of 29,490
I found the thread by Mad Lust Envy and have been narrowing down what pair of gaming headphones i want, but i had some questions.

First, I see there's high praise for Dolby Headphone Virtual Sound; My questions are: do i need to download it? do i need to get a certain sound card? or do i just buy a pair of headphones that uses the technology? 

Second, I'll be using these headphones for a mix of pc games, and music, but mostly games. Here's what im looking at so far, any feedback would be appreciated. It should be noted i'll be using these at home, and dont need to worry about disturbing anyone, im just looking for a good pair of fullsize headphones for gaming. I also am using my on-board sound card from the computer i built this year, i'd rather not buy a sound card, but if it's a must, i would definitely appreciate any recommendations.

Here's what i'm looking at:

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser PC 360 Headset for Pro Gaming[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser PC 350 Collapsible Gaming Headset with Vol Control & Microphone Mute[/size]

Razer Megalodon 7.1 Surround Sound USB Gaming Headset

Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones

TLDR: What do i need to get a basic gaming setup? Do i need a soundcard? An amp? what else? Also need a recommendation for a pair of headphones 150-200 bucks.

Furthermore: Forgive what i suspect to be an uber-noob question, but do i need a headphone amp if i'm just using it on my PC?

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #9,875 of 29,490

Quote:
I found the thread by Mad Lust Envy and have been narrowing down what pair of gaming headphones i want, but i had some questions.
First, I see there's high praise for Dolby Headphone Virtual Sound; My questions are: do i need to download it? do i need to get a certain sound card? or do i just buy a pair of headphones that uses the technology? 
Second, I'll be using these headphones for a mix of pc games, and music, but mostly games. Here's what im looking at so far, any feedback would be appreciated. It should be noted i'll be using these at home, and dont need to worry about disturbing anyone, im just looking for a good pair of fullsize headphones for gaming. I also am using my on-board sound card from the computer i built this year, i'd rather not buy a sound card, but if it's a must, i would definitely appreciate any recommendations.
Here's what i'm looking at:
[size=1.7em] Sennheiser PC 360 Headset for Pro Gaming[/size]
[size=1.7em] Sennheiser PC 350 Collapsible Gaming Headset with Vol Control & Microphone Mute[/size]
Razer Megalodon 7.1 Surround Sound USB Gaming Headset
Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones
TLDR: What do i need to get a basic gaming setup? Do i need a soundcard? An amp? what else? Also need a recommendation for a pair of headphones 150-200 bucks.

Furthermore: Forgive what i suspect to be an uber-noob question, but do i need a headphone amp if i'm just using it on my PC?
Thanks!

No such thing as "Dolby" headphones, just Stereo 2.0 channel headphones that come with a separate Dolby device.
If your not disturbing any one and there is no outside noise to bother you, get open headphones.
On board sound will work with headphones in the 25-Ohm to 60-Ohm range, but does not provide Dolby Digital.

I would say get the Sennheiser HD-558s (50-Ohm), go to the Electronics-Expo website, select the HD-558s and use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
Way cheaper (like $75-$80 cheaper) then the PC360s, with that price difference, you can buy a separate mic.

An Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card is $20-$30, comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms,
also comes with Dolby Digital (Dolby Headphone).

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #9,876 of 29,490
Thanks for the info, i appreciate it.

I've been looking at those Sennheiser HD-558s, they look to be right within my price range and the kind of thing i'm looking for. I added them to my list of potential purchases.

Quote:
No such thing as "Dolby" headphones, just Stereo 2.0 channel headphones that come with a separate Dolby device.
If your not disturbing any one and there is no outside noise to bother you, get open headphones.
On board sound will work with headphones in the 25-Ohm to 60-Ohm range, but does not provide Dolby Digital.

I would say get the Sennheiser HD-558s (50-Ohm), go to the Electronics-Expo website, select the HD-558s and use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
Way cheaper (like $75-$80 cheaper) then the PC360s, with that price difference, you can buy a separate mic.

An Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card is $20-$30, comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms,
also comes with Dolby Digital (Dolby Headphone).

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #9,877 of 29,490
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones:

1. They have to be closed
2. Punchy bass
3. Price limit: Euro 500
4. I really liked Triple.fi 10, especially it's bass. Looking for something similar in headphones, as triple.fi10 are a pain to wear.
5. This song should be produced well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygGw_zo_W8A (Ride - Vapour Trail)

My previous headphones have been on recommendations here (thanks guys!), including the last two:

Shure 840
Pioneer HDJ2000 (was good, but lacked tightness, bass underwhelming)

Any suggestions?

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #9,879 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry I'm still new to this, what are some brand/models of receivers? and what do they do exactly?

A receiver or integrated amp is what you normally power your home theatre speakers from, and hook up your tv, dvd player, etc into. They can cost a grant, or a couple bucks at a flea market/garage sale.

Quote:
^ thanks for the repsonce but just two questions. Should I still get the 32 ohm if I will be using my computer to listen to music as well as my iPod? And for this headphone should I get a portable amp or a non portable one, if so what one would you recommend and if for a amp if I need a higher ohm what one should I get?

If you don't want to use an amp, then get the 32 ohm. If you do decide you want an amp, if you go portable then up to 250ohm should be fine. Just read up on the amp subforums to see your options.

Quote:
Hello all im looking for a nice entry level closed ear ive been looking at the Shure SRH840.
im look to use these headphones for personal listening, like ipod and desktop
I listen to rock like foo fighters, zeppelin, mudvayne,
Acoustic like ray lamontagne and Tommy Emannuelle.   
I was wonder if these would get the job done im looking for something with good isolation, good seperation and a somewhat analytical sound
and was wondering how these would take to an amp because id like to experience an actually rig

Thanks,
Monty

The 840 were one of my favourite headphones for general listening, although I had issues with the fit/headband. It did not change significantly with amping in my opinion.

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones:

1. They have to be closed
2. Punchy bass
3. Price limit: Euro 500
4. I really liked Triple.fi 10, especially it's bass. Looking for something similar in headphones, as triple.fi10 are a pain to wear.
5. This song should be produced well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygGw_zo_W8A (Ride - Vapour Trail)

My previous headphones have been on recommendations here (thanks guys!), including the last two:

Shure 840
Pioneer HDJ2000 (was good, but lacked tightness, bass underwhelming)

Any suggestions?

More punch? Perhaps an Ultrasone Pro750/900

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #9,880 of 29,490
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from my Audio Technica A700's, for something with more clarity, but hopefully a similar bass level.  Looking to keep under $300.  I currently have a Fiio E10 to drive them with.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~Rock

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #9,881 of 29,490
Newbie with a query
tongue.gif

In a bit of a dilemma between two pairs of headphones: SRH840 and DT990 -- which do you recommend I buy?

I'm what you'd consider a 'basshead', so bass is my main concern. Any input will be much appreciated!
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #9,882 of 29,490
Another question from the Newbie:  Right now I'm planning on getting a pair of AKG K240 MKII's (55 Ohm) and I need a portable amp. What would be a great portable amp to drive these headphones under $150?

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #9,885 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from my Audio Technica A700's, for something with more clarity, but hopefully a similar bass level.  Looking to keep under $300.  I currently have a Fiio E10 to drive them with.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~Rock

I thought the A900 was a pretty good upgrade from the A700.

Quote:
Newbie with a query
tongue.gif

In a bit of a dilemma between two pairs of headphones: SRH840 and DT990 -- which do you recommend I buy?

I'm what you'd consider a 'basshead', so bass is my main concern. Any input will be much appreciated!
rolleyes.gif

If you're a basshead, go with the DT770 (you may want an amp to deliver adequate volume/headroom though).

Quote:
Isn't the O2 kind of big for a portable amp?  Is it a good deal to get one preassembled in a case and with a front panel for around $135 or is it much cheaper to build one yourself?

The O2 is really too big to be used portably. It falls under the class of "transportable" unless portable to you means huffing it around in a backpack. Consider any of the smaller offerings by FiiO or iBasso or Leckerton, amoung others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back