++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #9,736 of 29,490

Quote:
Do they have different models, where did you pick them up and how much did you pay?

As far as I know, they don't. Based on my research, reading around about the CAL!s, it's a variation of the long-stopped Denon AH-D1001. I don't know how that will be useful though. :p

As for how much I pay for it, it's 2576 rubles, around $83 US. Picked it up at a physical store of an online shopping site, because I don't want to wait for them to send it to me. :)

Update on the CAL!: the cans are pressing, albeit very, very lightly, on the cartilage. My ears does fit in the cushion, but I think it's a bit shallow. I didn't notice it doing this first, but after a couple of hours I felt the pain. Any idea how to alleviate this? 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #9,738 of 29,490
Hi, im in the search for some headphones for gaming, i will love to get some ad700 but the only sellers (ebay) that ship to PR have them overpriced or charge too much for shipping, so which headphone in the $60 range will be good for gaming?

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #9,739 of 29,490

Quote:
AD700 vs PC360 vs HD598

Mainly for gaming but I'd like to listen some good music too.
What do you think?

Quote:
Hi, im in the search for some headphones for gaming, i will love to get some ad700 but the only sellers (ebay) that ship to PR have them overpriced or charge too much for shipping, so which headphone in the $60 range will be good for gaming?

I used both of these threads to read up on gaming headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

http://www.head-fi.org/t/482424/steggys-2nd-roundup-review-featuring-10-headsets-and-headphones

Even if in the end I end up with a CAL!, it was a very interesting read.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #9,740 of 29,490
I'm new to the headphone game but appreciate great sound.  I'm buying a set of full size headphones for my wife who wants something that sounds great but is also stylish :)  She loves the look of the Beats Studios but everything I've read point to them being incredibly over priced.

1. While it's easy to find suggestions on great headphones here, I'm looking for a recommendation that factors in the design/looks of them so appeal to my wife, and as mentioned, she loves the look of the Beats.
  2. Price <=$300.
  3. She will be using it with her iPhone 4 and mainly listens to Top 40 and Hip Hop but isn't necessary a bass head. Any type of amp cannot be required.
  4. Should be a closed design as she'll be commuting with them.
  5. "Over the ear" design
  6. Active noise cancellation not a requirement

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #9,741 of 29,490
Looking for some new headphones (either in-ear, over-the-ear, or on-ear) under $100 and my priorities are:

1) sound quality
2) comfort
3) I don't want to disturb the people around me, so as little sound leakage as possible.

Things less important but I wouldn't mind having:

1) iPhone 3 button mic/controls

I kinda want some on-ear headphones, but if a pair of over-the-ear headphones or an inner-ear one fits my price range and criteria better that's cool.

I listen to Rock, Pop, Rap, even some Country occasionally if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for such a long first post.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #9,742 of 29,490
Hello, while browsing I've come on the term "Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads." Is the following link the same product? It doesn't say EDT 200, so I'm a bit confused. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad/

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #9,743 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure your computer mixer settings are up all the way? The 840 should be able to get to earbleeding levels from a typical computer output.

sure :) and i have all three headphones in front of me, so i change them every 5 minutes to compare and the sound of 840 is lower indeed, at least 15% and there is another thing that i realized after 2 days, it is not so good for hip hop and electronic music compared to some other styles of music, even razer can produce tighter bass for hip hop but in the end razer cant come even closer to 840 in terms of quality, but i think i need get some other headphones as well, due at least 66% of music i listen to are hip hop and electronic music, thinking about Ultrasone HFI-580 S-Logic, think it is a sure shot for my style of music?

The HFi580 should be bassier, as is the Audio Technica Pro700mk2. Even the Shure 750 feels bassier because it is more V shaped in response.

Quote:
OK ,ya was advised against the BT high level models due to the high ohms ( unclear about this ) . So now have a possible list of options- please comment. Although,a post here says it would be fine from my receiver= new Sony= http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QOA920/

1) Sennheiser 558 - $150 ( maybe too smooth for Blue -ray?)
2) Audio Tech A700 - $125
3) Superlux hd681 - $40 ( cant believe they would compete - but....)
4) Audio Tech M50 - $113-137 ( 2 models the cheaper is a "s" model)

other suggestions welcomed.

1) good all-purpose, but it is also open... do you need isolation?
2) decent sound if a little wobble in response, very very comfortable
4) mild V shaped response, punchy lows, the "s" model is simply one with the straight cord while the other is coiled

Quote:
I'm new to the headphone game but appreciate great sound.  I'm buying a set of full size headphones for my wife who wants something that sounds great but is also stylish :)  She loves the look of the Beats Studios but everything I've read point to them being incredibly over priced.

1. While it's easy to find suggestions on great headphones here, I'm looking for a recommendation that factors in the design/looks of them so appeal to my wife, and as mentioned, she loves the look of the Beats.
  2. Price <=$300.
  3. She will be using it with her iPhone 4 and mainly listens to Top 40 and Hip Hop but isn't necessary a bass head. Any type of amp cannot be required.
  4. Should be a closed design as she'll be commuting with them.
  5. "Over the ear" design
  6. Active noise cancellation not a requirement

V-Moda LP2
Soul by Ludacris SL150 (if she has small ears)

Quote:
Looking for some new headphones (either in-ear, over-the-ear, or on-ear) under $100 and my priorities are:

1) sound quality
2) comfort
3) I don't want to disturb the people around me, so as little sound leakage as possible.

Things less important but I wouldn't mind having:

1) iPhone 3 button mic/controls

I kinda want some on-ear headphones, but if a pair of over-the-ear headphones or an inner-ear one fits my price range and criteria better that's cool.

I listen to Rock, Pop, Rap, even some Country occasionally if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for such a long first post.

Sennheiser PX200-IIi

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #9,744 of 29,490
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #9,745 of 29,490
So I heard the Beats Pro by Dre at a BrandsMart USA, and at the time, thought they sounded much better then anything I've ever heard. I've only been using cheap headphones all this time, but NOW, I'm looking to become an Audiophile and get some really good Headphones. I know everyone hear says the Beats Pros are overpriced and doesn't really have great sound quality. But I did like the Bass on them a lot.

I've been listening to a lot of Dubstep, Hardstyle, DnB, and other Electronica genres lately. And I would like a really good headphone that will deliver good bass, midrange, and treble.

Some headphones that caught my attention while browsing this site, that would have bass similar to, if not better then the Beats Pro, were the Denon 2000/5000 and Ultrasone HFI-580 and Pro 900s. But everyone seems to say that they have recessed mids, and or needs to be modified to get a good sound from them. I'm not really looking forward to really have to deal with any problems like that, that I may not be aware of. If only I could hear them myself perhaps.

So what I'm for is:
1) Sound Quality - (Needs good frequency response with good controlled Bass for any Electronica style music)
2) Should also sound good with other styles of music like Metal if possible as I'll probable be using these for everything. (Good Sound stage??)
3) Comfort - (Should be able to wear them for hours at a time)
4) Low Noise Leakage
5) Should be efficient enough to run from a iPhone 4 without a AMP like the Pro Beats were. Or if NOT... please recommend a amp to run it with.
6) Don't have any budget. But would like to keep it no more then $500 for my first good set of headphones.

Speaking of #5 there... would a Fiio E5 be enough power for more headphone options?

Also would I need a amp for my PC also? It's got RealTek ALC892 Audio at the moment

If you can provide links on where to buy for cheapest price. Please include them. I live in the US. Amazon.com is the only place I really know of.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #9,746 of 29,490

Hey everyone! Sound quality has suddenly become insanely important to me; I had the pleasure of listening to some real sound equipment that has made me realize the sad, limited scope of my current run-of-the-mill headphones and speakers.

I'm interested in finding a good pair of full-sized headphones with a middle-low price tag.

Things that matter to me:
-Sound leakage! I am an artist and spend a lot of time working in studios or cafes near other people, and need to be able to avoid bothering them while I listen to music. Blocking out outside sounds is good too (passively is fine, no need for noise cancellation)
-Not too terribly harsh, sharp/harsh sounds in the upper range are not great for me, though I have been told some headphones will naturally go through a period of being harsh before you break them in.
-I like bass quite a bit... until it muddies up the rest of the sound. So a nice bass that doesn't make huge sacrifices to clarity would be good.
-Relative portability, I am used to carrying huge bags of art supplies around so they don't need to be super small, but they do need to be somewhat portable.
-Comfort... ideally I could wear these for hours at a time while working

So far I'm looking at the Ultrasone Hfi-700, just going off of reviews I found online.  But I am hesitant to make what (for me) is a large purchase without getting more info and knowing more about my options.

Anyway, if anyone could provide some input here that would be great, I am new to this and would really appreciate the guidance.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #9,747 of 29,490
I am looking to buy a set of high-end headphones.  I am in college right now and all I see are the Beats by Dr. Dre and I know there are much, much better headphones that you can get for ~$300.  I've been leaning towards a set of AKG Q701's because I know they are good cans and I like the look of them.  I have never owned a set of full size headphones, and I currently listen to many genres including indie, folk, rock, classical rock, reggae, and if I want to get hyped up... dubstep and techno.  I have many songs that are from iTunes, but for my favorite songs, I usually use Apple Lossless from the CD itself.

Some questions I have about the Q701s:

1) How is the low-end?
2) How much sound leaks from them?  Are they completely open like the Sennheiser 600s?
3) I've heard that these can be very brutal and revealing headphones... Just how revealing are they?  I try to keep all of my music above 256 kbps, is that still too compressed?  Is most commercial music recorded well or will these headphones make a large portion of artists sound bad?
4) Are these what you would call "Listening for enjoyment" headphones or do you consider them purely as reference headphones for studio recording, etc.?
5)What would be a good alternative, closed headphone that would be slightly less harsh on lower quality music but have a similar frequency balance and decent imaging?

I understand that I should use an amp for these, so I don't need advice about that.

In summary:  I'm looking for something that is much better than the hyped up and overpriced Beats and Bose headphones for a similar or lower price; and it should be satisfying across many different genres.

Thank you!!

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #9,748 of 29,490

Originally Posted by Armaegis

Are you sure your computer mixer settings are up all the way? The 840 should be able to get to earbleeding levels from a typical computer output.

sure :) and i have all three headphones in front of me, so i change them every 5 minutes to compare and the sound of 840 is lower indeed, at least 15% and there is another thing that i realized after 2 days, it is not so good for hip hop and electronic music compared to some other styles of music, even razer can produce tighter bass for hip hop but in the end razer cant come even closer to 840 in terms of quality, but i think i need get some other headphones as well, due at least 66% of music i listen to are hip hop and electronic music, thinking about Ultrasone HFI-580 S-Logic, think it is a sure shot for my style of music?

The HFi580 should be bassier, as is the Audio Technica Pro700mk2. Even the Shure 750 feels bassier because it is more V shaped in response.

is there any sense to switch from xonar dg to xonar st or stx?  what do you think Armaegis?

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #9,749 of 29,490
I guess what I am looking for would really be is an under $100 alternative to the Beats By Dr. Dre Solo HD in size and performance. The iPhone mic/controls are optional, but I want something at least a little slick-looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back