++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #9,721 of 29,490
Hey,

Can someone tell me what is the difference between Sennheiser HD25-13 II and Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

I saw that ohm impedance is different and the hd25-13 come with a 3m cable. Is that 3m cable an accessory or the headphones come directly attached with it?
And what is ohm impedance? 
Thanks

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #9,722 of 29,490
Hello. I've been surfing this site and it seems that SR80s are really good headphones for listening to pandora and competitive gaming? I was wondering if there was a close ear version? if not could you guys give recommendations for a $100 dollar headphone and under that's as good? Thanks. I also don't have an amp!

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #9,723 of 29,490
So I've realized that I do far more listening at work than I do at home.  Just an unfortunate consequence of spending far too much time at work, I guess. But to make that time more enjoyable, I've decided to invest in some decent headphones to keep at the office.  With this in mind, I'm definitely looking for something that is closed with good isolation (I don't want to leak a lot of sound and bug my neighbor, but I want to still be able to have decent volume levels).  I have an M^3 amp I built a while back with a STEPS (think this is what it's called, can't even recall it's been so long) power supply, source being a Sony E345 (horribly limited at work, due to restrictions in my work environment), so something that will pair nicely with this setup is ideal (would rather not buy/build another amp).  My musical tastes vary a bit, with no one genre jumping out more than another -- depends on the day.  Some of my top listens: Swell Season, The Civil Wars, The Black Keys, Ray LaMontagne, Damien Rice, Muddy Waters, Foo Fighters, Adele, John Legend, the list goes on and on.  With that said, beautiful vocals are hugely important to me.  I am hoping to get something in the $200-300 range -- doesn't have to be new, though that would be nice (would rather not spend hours looking for a used product).

Thanks for any help!

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #9,724 of 29,490
How well do the hd428 fare?

Thinking of switching my jvc m750 for a pair.
I like the sound of the jvc's but there not comfortable. I tried a pair of hd201 and those were damn comfortable.
Are the hd 428 similar to the 201's in comfort and similar to the jvc's with sound? Less bass I can live with.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #9,725 of 29,490
I've been thinking about getting a new set of full-sized phones. Currently all the headphones I have lean towards the bright side, Beyerdynamic DT880/250, modded Grado SR80, Shure 440. I'm looking for a complementary phone, something with more mid and bottom, but with a high level of clarity and detail. I live in mid-fi land, so probably 600 or so would be my top.

Thanks, in advance.

Oh and for genre, I'm all over the map, there's no one type of music I listen to.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #9,727 of 29,490
Sounds like this guy needs some Sennheisers.  HD650 would be in your price range.

Quote:
I've been thinking about getting a new set of full-sized phones. Currently all the headphones I have lean towards the bright side, Beyerdynamic DT880/250, modded Grado SR80, Shure 440. I'm looking for a complementary phone, something with more mid and bottom, but with a high level of clarity and detail. I live in mid-fi land, so probably 600 or so would be my top.
Thanks, in advance.
Oh and for genre, I'm all over the map, there's no one type of music I listen to.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #9,728 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright, I feel it's about time to upgrade my headphones.  I've been using my Sennheiser HD 555s for quite a while, but they're failing to meet all my expectations.  They're not the best set of cans to trek too and from class with, and definitely not meant for listening to while I'm sitting around the Library or school buildings.  The main reason I like these headphones though is because they're really light and feel great to wear for extended sessions at my computer desk.  Plus they're the best sounding headphones I've ever really gotten to listen to (scratch maybe my 30 second encounter with some Beyerdynamics).

Anyway, a few things I have questions about first.  My main device for listening on the go is an iPod Touch 3rd Generation, however I've read around that an iPod isn't the best thing to use for listening.  How true is that?  Second, I'm a little lost on what the difference is between amped an un-amped is.  I mean, I have a basic understanding of the words but I don't know how worth it getting an amp would be.  So, is it worth grabbing an amp as well?  While reading around I also noticed that the pair of headphones you want should be based on what kind of music you're listening to.  That sounds like something that makes sense, but I'd love to have this confirmed by someone with much more knowledge than myself.  And I just read the tutorial on equalizing your headphones from this forum and was curious if it would be worth it for me.

Now that my basic questions are out of the way, onto the main point of my post.  I'm looking for headphones, obviously, but my budget is fairly strict.  I'm looking to spend less than $200 and probably less than $150.  I like comfort over style (I can have these on for upwards of 6 hours a day, daily), quality over quantity, and I want them to last.  I'm not one to treat all of my things super delicately, these cans will probably end up getting dropped over the course of a couple years and might find other methods of being damaged physically so I'd like something with a nice, solid frame.  I also listen to a pretty wide variety of music.  It ranges from pop to metal to soft rock to classical and anywhere in between.  I honestly can't think of a genre I don't listen to besides Country (but that has its roots in stuff I do listen to)  The majority of my music is definitely metal - specifically progressive.  I only included the music part because I'm not entirely sure about the answer to my question and figure more information couldn't hurt.

Side Note: I don't expect anyone to go into extreme detail in answering my questions.  Simple answers that include some hard facts would be best, but if you feel like leaving me links/sources to more fulfilling information I will definitely take a look at it and possibly post again or revise my post to include what I learned.

Thanks to anyone who answers 
smily_headphones1.gif

- Zack

An ipod is sufficient for most portable headphones. Extra amping isn't really required unless you start getting into the heftier cans. 

For clarification, an ipod (and any other mp3 player for that matter) already has a built in amp. Getting an external amp is basically just feeding the ipod signal into a (supposedly) higher quality amplifier. 

Here are some good durable cans:
Sony V6 - moderate isolation, large pads but on-ear, folds very compactly
Senn HD25-1-ii (the blue Adidas version will have a shorter cord) - strong clamp, high isolation
V-Moda M80 - lousy isolation, very good build, on-ear, light clamp
KRK 6400 - over ear, balanced sound

Quote:
What do you think about the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro? It's about the same money as the HD25 and about 1.5 as much as the M50. Do you think it would meet my specifications? 
PS Are they supraaural or circumaural? I mean the DJ1 Pros

I wasn't a huge fan of the DJ1; I'd rather go for the HD25 which have better sound overall and which I think suit your genres better. The only point I'd give the DJ1 here is comfort for being circumaural.

Quote:
OK - I just joined the site- SO, I guess most people start here to ask about buying some higher end headphones. Never really had good headphones- but it is time as the wife is complaining about my night activity of watching movies and listening to music. So here goes:

1) Price= preferable under $250, I know you get what you pay for - hoping to get a deal this time of year. 
2) Use=  Home theater and music ( no rap - but almost everything else- played trumpet thru college - so must be accurate and tight - no booming distorted bass please) 
3) Connectivity - is there such a thing to plug into both USB on a PC and an AV Receiver? Adapters?
4) Must be comfortable, do not care what they look like. 
5) Do not want to purchase headphone amp.

* I originally started looking for a wireless product- but have read the sound quality really suffers, please confirm this as fact or fiction.

Thanks in advance.

Edit : Found a par of DT990 Pro 's for under $175 - good deal or not? Will these fill my expectations? Sorry for all the questions.

That's a decent price for DT990, although new ones can typically be found around $180-190. If you're looking for a more all-purpose sound, I would say go for the DT880pro. However, the big Beyers generally want an amp behind them to sound their best (out of a receiver will be more than enough power though). Other good all-rounder headphones that I frequently recommend are the Sennheiser HD5xx family (the 598 being the current top of the line in that range). 

Headphones do not typically plug into a usb port unless they are a gaming one with a built in sound card. 

Quote:
Hello,

Firstly sorry to create another thread about these two headphones, should of replied here as topic will likely get left alone,, hopefully get advise on this thread.

Sennheiser HD205 II or Superlux HD668B

I've done allot of reading on here and gathered how both of these sound, but I have not really seen a direct compare between the two and I am a bit stuck of which to go for for my personal needs.

I have Adam A7X monitors which are for primary use, I will use the headphones for checking closer up details and the low end on productions I'm working with, they will also be used for later at night when it's to late for the main monitors. 

I know the HD668B have great detail and a Beyer type of sound which I like very much and I want the headphones to pick out all the details etc, but after reading I know they lack some in the mid range, and some say the low end is not that deep (While others say it's fine) and I am not that keen on modding them to get the full potential out of them.

For me I need to hear what's going on down deep but also hear the mid range in full good detail, and generally want a headphone that's going to pick all the general details, with a good wide sound stage.

The HD205 II I know will go down deep enough, and have a nice warm laid back sound, but do they have the ability to pick out the details as good as the HD668B?

What I would really like to know is how detailed the HD205 II are compared to the HD668B and if they will be up to the job in terms of reproducing good mid range detail while picking up the general fine details.

I am not concerned about comfort, so this does not need to be brought up.

Music Genre will mostly be bass heavy electronic, such as techno, dubstep and many other genres which have a tendecy to be more bass heavy, but some tracks have allot going on so it's important to hear the details on the headphones.

£35 is the maximum I can spend, so it's come down to these two. But AKG K77 are in price range to, but not really read much on these.

Thanks In Advance.

Based on my limited experience with those... my vote is for the Senn. 

Quote:
i am looking for a new headphone to replace my Grado Sr 80i, I think the Grado is a bit too harsh and it can have some more detail/depth.

I will need a new amp too, source is Moon 100d dac.

thnks in advance

Would you consider modding the SR80?

Maybe try a Senn PX100 or HD518, or AKG K140/240. 

Quote:
Alright, need to buy a new pair of headphones and could really use some advice.

Can History:

1. Bunch of crappy Sennheiser's that were extremely uncomfortable on my ears and poor sound quality, made me give up low end earphones
  2. Bought ATH-a700's twice.  Perfect size for my head, extremely comfortable, got them for around $80 each time.  Very good sound quality.  Less than desirable durability.  Each broke after 18-24 months, one stopped transmitting sound along the cord, and for the second, the left ear can literally snapped off at the most fragile connection point.
  3. Bought some ATH-a55's.  Fine for the top portion of my head, but pretty uncomfortable on my ears.  Basically too small for my head, I cannot comfortably wear them for more than an hour.  Good sound quality, identical to the a700s.  Likely more durable overall than the a700s, but the pleather still flakes right off as happened with the a700s.

What I need:
  1. Large cans, as large as a700's or larger
  2. Good sound quality, I do not need something amazing, if I had to pick between perfect comfort or sound, I would pick comfort
  3. Durable, preferably something that lasts longer than just a 1-2 years max.  Preferably not pleather, but I can live with it.
  4. Price: $50-$200 range

What I use them for:
  1. Gaming
  2. Techno/Electronica

I have read about the m50's and xb-500s.  I am little worried about some comments that the m50's are uncomfortable and I am also a little worried about some of the comments that the xb-500s have lackluster sound quality.  I am also looking at the HA-RX900.  So I would really like some suggestions.

If you're not a competitive gamer, then consider the Beyer DT770. Strong bass, very durable build, large size. 

Quote:
Hey,

Can someone tell me what is the difference between Sennheiser HD25-13 II and Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

I saw that ohm impedance is different and the hd25-13 come with a 3m cable. Is that 3m cable an accessory or the headphones come directly attached with it?
And what is ohm impedance? 
Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

The 3m cable on the 25-13 is stock.

Quote:
Hello. I've been surfing this site and it seems that SR80s are really good headphones for listening to pandora and competitive gaming? I was wondering if there was a close ear version? if not could you guys give recommendations for a $100 dollar headphone and under that's as good? Thanks. I also don't have an amp!

There are no closed grados, although you're welcome to try modding one into a closed version. 

For a closed gaming headphone under $100... perhaps the Sony V6/ZX700, KRK6400 or Shure 440. 

Quote:
So I've realized that I do far more listening at work than I do at home.  Just an unfortunate consequence of spending far too much time at work, I guess. But to make that time more enjoyable, I've decided to invest in some decent headphones to keep at the office.  With this in mind, I'm definitely looking for something that is closed with good isolation (I don't want to leak a lot of sound and bug my neighbor, but I want to still be able to have decent volume levels).  I have an M^3 amp I built a while back with a STEPS (think this is what it's called, can't even recall it's been so long) power supply, source being a Sony E345 (horribly limited at work, due to restrictions in my work environment), so something that will pair nicely with this setup is ideal (would rather not buy/build another amp).  My musical tastes vary a bit, with no one genre jumping out more than another -- depends on the day.  Some of my top listens: Swell Season, The Civil Wars, The Black Keys, Ray LaMontagne, Damien Rice, Muddy Waters, Foo Fighters, Adele, John Legend, the list goes on and on.  With that said, beautiful vocals are hugely important to me.  I am hoping to get something in the $200-300 range -- doesn't have to be new, though that would be nice (would rather not spend hours looking for a used product).

Thanks for any help!

Shure 840/940
Senn HD380
Beyer DT770/600

Quote:
How well do the hd428 fare?

Thinking of switching my jvc m750 for a pair.
I like the sound of the jvc's but there not comfortable. I tried a pair of hd201 and those were damn comfortable.
Are the hd 428 similar to the 201's in comfort and similar to the jvc's with sound? Less bass I can live with.

The 428 are larger than the 201 I believe, but should have a similar comformity to the head.

Quote:
Thanks, in advance.

A Senn HD600/650 or a Denon D5000 methinks, or maybe even an HE-4 or used HE-500. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #9,729 of 29,490
hey everyone, as I somehow managed to miss this thread after searching and read though the last 10 pages, sorry about that, I decided to leave the thread I posted to die and move to this one instead :p rather then copy and post everything that happened I will link the old thread and replies if any could be posted in this thread, then I won't paste a huge wall of text and annoy everyone even more :p

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583149/yet-another-which-headphones-should-i-buy-thread-p-gaming-music-tv#post_7934257

i
f people could read that thread and reply here with advice that would be awesome :)

thanks everyone 

Craig

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #9,730 of 29,490

Quote:

Are you sure your computer mixer settings are up all the way? The 840 should be able to get to earbleeding levels from a typical computer output.

sure :) and i have all three headphones in front of me, so i change them every 5 minutes to compare and the sound of 840 is lower indeed, at least 15% and there is another thing that i realized after 2 days, it is not so good for hip hop and electronic music compared to some other styles of music, even razer can produce tighter bass for hip hop but in the end razer cant come even closer to 840 in terms of quality, but i think i need get some other headphones as well, due at least 66% of music i listen to are hip hop and electronic music, thinking about Ultrasone HFI-580 S-Logic, think it is a sure shot for my style of music?

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #9,731 of 29,490
OK ,ya was advised against the BT high level models due to the high ohms ( unclear about this ) . So now have a possible list of options- please comment. Although,a post here says it would be fine from my receiver= new Sony= http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QOA920/

1) Sennheiser 558 - $150 ( maybe too smooth for Blue -ray?)
2) Audio Tech A700 - $125
3) Superlux hd681 - $40 ( cant believe they would compete - but....)
4) Audio Tech M50 - $113-137 ( 2 models the cheaper is a "s" model)

other suggestions welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back