++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 30, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #9,676 of 29,490

Quote:
I was under the impression closed head phones weren't beneficial comparatively to open if you don't intend to isolate. Is this not true?

Uhm...your phrasing is kind of strange, but closed headphones aren't strictly better-sounding than open headphones. Usually, open headphones have a more expansive sound, while closed headphones allow for stronger reverb and more bass. Usually.

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #9,677 of 29,490
I'm looking to spend around $100 on over ear headphones.

I listen to some hip hop, dubstep, lots of different rock, punk, etc. Looking for something that accurately portrays what I'm listening to and isn't overly bass heavy. They also have to be closed and something I can listen to for a long stretch with no fatigue.

I've got my eyes on the HD280, but I've also browsed through the Klipsch Image Ones (nice due to the mic/buttons), and some Shure options. Is there anything else I should consider or are the HD280s the way to go?

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #9,678 of 29,490

Quote:
Go for the CAL or the XB500. Since you've actually heard the XB500, lean towards that one rather than spend money on an unknown.

You're probably right, since that's one thing I tried myself. And considering I'm a student, I don't have disposable income lol. Thanks, I'll buy it this weekend and hopefully get it by then too.

Ah I forgot about a few things: how is the noise leak of the CAL or XB500 (don't want my friends to know some of my, errr... questionable activities on the 'Net >_>), and the bass of both of them: overpowering, too bassy, etc. (although I don't know how to describe my preference to bass, umm maybe not too bassy that the vocals and other instruments are drowned by it).

I'll try to remember back that first time I tried the XB500, but its been 4 months since then >_>

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #9,679 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I'm new to head-fi.

I am looking for some cheaper headphones that my family could get me for xmas i only am allowed to spend $40 at most. The only audio equipment i really have right now are Asus xonar dg, sennheiser hd 201's. My needs are actually quite simple though as im not a true audiophile yet XD. I like to game alot and the types of music i enjoy are classical, orchestra, and alot of video game soundtracks. With the occasional big band, swing, and blues.

The choices I was really considering were

1. Jvc Harx700
2. Panasonic RP HTF600

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #9,680 of 29,490
I have done quite a bit of searching but most people who asked, seemed to listen to  rock/heavy metal/electronic. I'm thinking of these 3 :
M50s
HFI 580
CAL
I like the HFI 580 but I don't really listen to a lot of rock/heavy metal/electronic so I'm thinking HFI 580 is out. I mostly listen to more softer genres such as classical,jazz,balad,R&B,etc. I occasionally listen to rock, hip hop, electronic. I want a headphone with a good soundstage and vocals.
If you have any other suggestions, let me know! Thanks in advance.
I forgot to add that I am looking for closed headphones and SQ is the most important followed by comfort. ~$100 price range

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #9,681 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to spend around $100 on over ear headphones.

I listen to some hip hop, dubstep, lots of different rock, punk, etc. Looking for something that accurately portrays what I'm listening to and isn't overly bass heavy. They also have to be closed and something I can listen to for a long stretch with no fatigue.

I've got my eyes on the HD280, but I've also browsed through the Klipsch Image Ones (nice due to the mic/buttons), and some Shure options. Is there anything else I should consider or are the HD280s the way to go?

Thanks!

While the HD280 is not the most exciting headphone, it has a reasonably neutral sound with strong bass extension and isolation is top of the class.

Quote:

You're probably right, since that's one thing I tried myself. And considering I'm a student, I don't have disposable income lol. Thanks, I'll buy it this weekend and hopefully get it by then too.

Ah I forgot about a few things: how is the noise leak of the CAL or XB500 (don't want my friends to know some of my, errr... questionable activities on the 'Net >_>), and the bass of both of them: overpowering, too bassy, etc. (although I don't know how to describe my preference to bass, umm maybe not too bassy that the vocals and other instruments are drowned by it).

I'll try to remember back that first time I tried the XB500, but its been 4 months since then >_>

If you really want high isolation, then the Senn HD280 is the best thing.

Quote:
Hello everyone. I'm new to head-fi.

I am looking for some cheaper headphones that my family could get me for xmas i only am allowed to spend $40 at most. The only audio equipment i really have right now are Asus xonar dg, sennheiser hd 201's. My needs are actually quite simple though as im not a true audiophile yet XD. I like to game alot and the types of music i enjoy are classical, orchestra, and alot of video game soundtracks. With the occasional big band, swing, and blues.

The choices I was really considering were

1. Jvc Harx700
2. Panasonic RP HTF600

Koss PortaPro comes to mind, or just save up money for now and try to hit the $80-100 price point.

Quote:
I have done quite a bit of searching but most people who asked, seemed to listen to  rock/heavy metal/electronic. I'm thinking of these 3 :
M50s
HFI 580
CAL
I like the HFI 580 but I don't really listen to a lot of rock/heavy metal/electronic so I'm thinking HFI 580 is out. I mostly listen to more softer genres such as classical,jazz,balad,R&B,etc. I occasionally listen to rock, hip hop, electronic. I want a headphone with a good soundstage and vocals.
I forgot to add that I am looking for closed headphones and SQ is the most important followed by comfort. ~$100 price range

KRK6400
Shure 440
Sony V6
Sennheiser 448/449

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #9,682 of 29,490

Quote:
M50s
HFI 580
CAL

You probably don't want the M50's, because they have a strange midrange that makes classical music and vocals sound just a little bit off. They're nice for rock and stuff and okay with other genres, but not ideal for your purposes.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #9,683 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

Ive been looking for a pair of headphones (without an amp) in the $150 - $300 AUD price range.
I've heard good things about the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, but im someone who listens to alot of
club music and i like powerful bass, but i want everything else to sound nice also.  I listen to a variety of
music ranging from classical, rock, club etc.  Are there any headphones that will provide powerful bass
when its present in a song, but not drown out everything else (/no muddy bass).
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Fletcher

EDIT
Preferably headphones which reduce as much background noise as possible.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #9,684 of 29,490

Quote:
While the HD280 is not the most exciting headphone, it has a reasonably neutral sound with strong bass extension and isolation is top of the class.

If you really want high isolation, then the Senn HD280 is the best thing.

Koss PortaPro comes to mind, or just save up money for now and try to hit the $80-100 price point.

KRK6400
Shure 440
Sony V6
Sennheiser 448/449

I'm leaning towards KRK6400 but I'm wondering if KRK8400 worth ~$20 price difference

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #9,685 of 29,490
Bump! Wow this thread moves fast.

Quote:
Hi all! I am looking to upgrade from my Bose Triports, which are falling apart. (I know, I know. They were a gift.) I have a pair of Ety MC5 phones for on the go. I listen to opera, folk, and metal. I think I want something with brighter treble for the sopranos. Hoping for similar detail for solo strings and wind instruments like on the Etys. What I really want is something that let's me distinguish better between the instruments being played.

My budget is around $250, with some wiggle room. Unfortunately I don't have an amp and can't afford that investment.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #9,686 of 29,490
Alright, per the advice offered in this thread and my own research, I've narrowed things down to the Ultrasone Pro750 and the ATH AD900. Although these headphones are radically different and the Pro750 (with kees mod) are seemingly perfect based on my profile, I can't completely forsake the AD900's since I'm not addicted to bass nor have I ever been. This conundrum has left me quite indecisive. Any thoughts on the matter?

Hello Head-Fi! I'm currently an audiophile newbie as I've been using cheap headphones and headsets for the past years when listening to music on my computer/ipod. I've always been a keyboard fanatic, so I figured I might as well get into headphones as well considering I spend a lot of time on the computer (~12 hours a day) due to work/life style. I'm really interested in an open or closed set of headphones that might align with the following specifications:
  1. ~$300
    I have plenty of money to throw around so I don't really have a hard limit set on my budget but 300 is comfortable for me right now.
  2. Currently have no amp
    Although I have no amp, I would be interested in getting one now/down the line as I become more learned in the audio trade.
  3. Primarily listening to electronic, house, trance, alternative, screamo, jpop, kpop
    I do listen to almost all genres, but these are my primaries.
  4. Must be very comfortable
    As I mentioned above, I will be wearing these for 12 hours a day so they must be absolutely comfortable.
  5. Will be going into the back of a computer with no sound card, or directly into an iPod
    This means I probably won't have a whole lot of power to drive a pair of headphones.
  6. No speakers
    Don't know if this is relevant, but I don't own a single speaker.
Some headphones I've presently been reviewing are:
ATH AD900
Sennheiser 558
Sennheiser 598
Sennheiser 600
Sennheiser 650
Grado SR225i
AKG 702/1 (would need to buy an amp as well)
The only amp I've really considered is the Fiio e7 and then the e9 down the road to combine them.
With all this info, what are Head-Fi's thoughts?

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #9,687 of 29,490

Quote:
Bump! Wow this thread moves fast.

You could try looking into a pair of Shure SRH940's, which place an emphasis on the mids and highs. I wrote a review of them in my signature. They might not be the most ideal headphones for metal though since they lack the bass punch that you're probably used to, but for folk and sopranos, they really shine. For metal, Grado headphones are usually recommended, but I haven't tried a pair myself.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #9,688 of 29,490
good day everyone, here is my question, yesterday my Shure SRH840 has arrived and i was blown away by the quality it could reproduce, but i have a small issue, comparing to my razer orca and Sennheiser HD thes sound level is lower, no questions about quality, its way better, but i am not totally satisfied with max volume reproduction, using xonar dg as main sound card. so any advise how can i get higher volume not spending more then 100 usd? thanx ppl 

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #9,689 of 29,490
hi.. hail to all audiophile senior

i seeking for headphones, i prefer great detail, for classic rock, rock, pop, jazz, n even classical..

i also hearing j pop, j rock, etc....

some recommended ad 700, or ms1i....

so whats headphones most suited for me??

whats different grado sr60, sr80, sr125, or alessandro MS1i...

p.s: ad700 it seems sold out in my country,, and alessandro just 50? left (based on jaben)...

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #9,690 of 29,490
I'll be getting some money for both my birthday and christmas very soon so what would be a worthwile upgrade from my Superlux HD668b? I love them overall but the highs are a bit harsh and the lows can distort in some rare instances (mostly in films). 
I'm thinking about getting a Xonar ST(X) or a desktop AMP (FiiO e9 maybe). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back