++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 30, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #9,646 of 29,490
Hey, I was hoping someone can helpe out Here... Recently I got the klipsch x10.. which are great, but not too awesome for 'my' kind of music... I had my eye on the v moda maker but I really just want something with lots of clear and bumpy bass, but also great highs and mids,but mostly on the low ends, which can you recommend? Thanks

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #9,647 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for closed headphones that excel in mids and trebles with a good soundstage. I do not care about bass at all. Looking for a similar sound signature to CK10 or HD600. Comfort is important and isolation would be nice. I am looking to spend $100-300.

The m50 had too much bass and lacked the treble I was looking for. I also found it uncomfortable because i have a big head. HD25-1 had too small of a sound signature for me.

I was thinking SRH840 or 940, but it seems like I am looking for the 940 because of its treble. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

SRH940 sound nothing like the HD600 - I owned both (still have the HD600).  FA-003 is the closed can that Malveaux thought was closest to the HD600.  Brainwavz have a can just released (HM5) that appears to be a clone of the Fischer FA-003.   I've ordered it, and can let you know when it arrives (guessing in a few weeks).  It's currently on promotion - can be ordered through MP4nation.  Sounds like it could be what you are looking for.

Please note that I haven't heard this yet - but it looks like it may be close to what you are looking for.

The SRH840 is a good can - and would be closer to the HD600 than the SRH940.

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #9,648 of 29,490
Hi all! I am looking to upgrade from my Bose Triports, which are falling apart. (I know, I know. They were a gift.) I have a pair of Ety MC5 phones for on the go. I listen to opera, folk, and metal. I think I want something with brighter treble for the sopranos. Hoping for similar detail for solo strings and wind instruments like on the Etys. What I really want is something that let's me distinguish better between the instruments being played.

My budget is around $250, with some wiggle room. Unfortunately I don't have an amp and can't afford that investment.

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #9,649 of 29,490

Armaegis  Thank you so much for your advise !!!! just plugged it into my sound card and i am totally lost, its like i never listened to these tracks before :) in one word I Am Amazed !!!! :wink:
Quote:
The 840 was one of my favourites, but I just couldn't get it to fit comfortable on my head. If you get a chance to try it for comfort, I'd recommend that one. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #9,650 of 29,490
I've tried to figure out more information through the search function but alas;

I'm curious on what a good amp/dac would be for a pair of Audio Technica Pro700 MKII's. I wish I had more time to research this personally, as I am quite OCD about my audiophile purchases, I just don't have the time with school and work. This setup will be exclusively used either on my desktop or laptop. I do intentionally want it a bit bass biased (hence the headphones). I am mostly going to be listening to dance/house/downtempo/mashup. Think of stuff along the lines of deadmau5 or Daft Punk. I know the combination of cans+amp/dac is crucial, so if any of you could mention any recommendations, I would love you long time.

The one I had in mind myself was: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audinst-HUD-mx1-Hi-Fi-USB-Audio-DAC-/170651799290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bba3cefa

Also contemplated an E10 or 11. What do you guys think? Is this a decent match?

Ideally anything 200$ or less is what I'd be looking for.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #9,651 of 29,490
Hello there, this is my first post here and I can't choose between these headphones:

ATH-M50
HD 518
SRH440

I have done a lot of research about these and still can't make up my mind.
I listen to almost every genre of music so it needs to be a "jack of all trades" headphone.
I will use them at home most of the time. I also have a fiio e5(if that will help).
The problem is the price of the m50 from where I live is double that of the 440 and the 518 is cheaper by 2000 PHP(about $40) compared to the m50.

What should I buy from these?

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #9,653 of 29,490
Hello, I'm a huge noob when it comes to these things and I would like to ask for some advise. Pardon me for the long post.

I want to buy a certain vintage headphone but I was wondering if I can mod it up? I recently fell in love with those Pioneer SE-L40. I like it for the looks and I wouldn't be anal about the sound. Will it be possible to replace certain parts of it in the future if it ever breaks down? I mean it's an old headphone so I doubt it will be rock solid. I also want to know the sound quality of these.

BTW I listen to  Rap, Hip-hop, Kpop, R&B

Thank you

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #9,654 of 29,490

Hello,

I am looking for the best quality sound that can be had for around $100. I say "sound" rather than specify a particular headphone type because I don't care what it is, only that it gets me the best sound quality at my price point. The two decent pairs of headphones I have owned are the portapros and Sennheiser 202's, but I am looking for better.

I will be listening primarily to rock, though I also listen to some musical/movie soundtracks, classical, jazz & jazz/rock fusion, etc. I say that my budget is $100 but I would like to spend less if, for example, there is some pair of headphones for $80 that's better than everything available for ~$100.

I have seen the typical suggestions, like the ath-m50's, but I am not quite sure which of the good ~$100 buys is best suited for me.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #9,655 of 29,490
Hi everyone, 

Mistakably i made a thread asking for advice on headphones before noticing this thread, i apologize for that. If i may expose my questions here:

I've been using for the last 1 and 1/2, to 2 full years the Sennheiser PX 200 - II (bought them as an improvement from a now discontinued AKG earphone model) .
I've been wanting to find something better than the Sennheiser for some time now but had no clue on what to get, specially because i need headphones that can be used in several things - Listening to music/movies/games/etc at home, listening to music during the day while i'm going from home to the university and moving around, for recording and home studio use (by studio i mean a simple Line 6 Pod x3 pro )

I do realize it's impossible to have it all on just one pair of 'phones but, perhaps there is something close enough?

I listen mostly to Metal and Jazz, specifically - Technical/progressive/death/experimental, sludge/doom, fusion metal, djent. Fusion jazz, experimental.

The few models that have catched my eye are the Ultrasone HFI 780 and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro.
They appear to serve all purposes and still remain sort of portable for everyday use.
(I should point out i don't mind the larger size of headphones at all)

I would really apreciate any suggestions and recomendations for headphones based on what i need, and if possible, within the price range of the models i mentioned.

Original post in :

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #9,656 of 29,490

Quote:

Hello,

I am looking for the best quality sound that can be had for around $100. I say "sound" rather than specify a particular headphone type because I don't care what it is, only that it gets me the best sound quality at my price point. The two decent pairs of headphones I have owned are the portapros and Sennheiser 202's, but I am looking for better.

I will be listening primarily to rock, though I also listen to some musical/movie soundtracks, classical, jazz & jazz/rock fusion, etc. I say that my budget is $100 but I would like to spend less if, for example, there is some pair of headphones for $80 that's better than everything available for ~$100.

I have seen the typical suggestions, like the ath-m50's, but I am not quite sure which of the good ~$100 buys is best suited for me.

Welcome to Head-fi
Sorry about your wallet

For the best natural sound out of some cans you need to be looking at open designs but if you want to listen in a noisy environment there gonna be no good so closed is the way to go.

Open cans or listening to mostly rock music (like me
wink.gif
) you have a few options at your price point

1. Grado sr60 i   $79
  2. Grado sr80 i   $99
  3. Alessandero MS1   $99
  4. Goldring DR 150   $75 ------->(ebay)

The Grado's are the best headphones you are gonna get for the sound of guitars but they are a bit in your face and after a couple of hours the fatiguing sound is gonna make you wanna take em off
The alessandero's are very slightly more laid back and sound better than the 60's and 80's imo but some people find these and the grado's uncomfortable due to them sitting on the ear not around
The DR150 however are supreme on comfort of this line up they have a detachable QED cable and imo are the best sound from full size cans you are gonna get from this price point.

It would be the DR150 for me
beyersmile.png

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #9,657 of 29,490
Thanks for the advice... But what do you mean by "a bit in your face" and "fatiguing?"

EDIT: Also, I might be able to get very very lightly used ath-m50's from a friend who bought them a week ago and is already upgrading. Probably for a hundred or less. As far as I can tell, the ath m50's are usually ~$150. So my original question becomes: what is the best-sounding pair of headphones for rock, jazz, a bit of pop, etc. that either costs <= $100 or is the ath-m50's.

Second edit: Amazon has the ath-m50S for cheaper than the ath-m50. The only difference as far as I see is that the "S" version has a straight cable as opposed to a coiled cable. What exactly does that mean? Does "coiled cable" mean that the cable is like a tightly wound helix?

Quote:
Welcome to Head-fi
Sorry about your wallet

For the best natural sound out of some cans you need to be looking at open designs but if you want to listen in a noisy environment there gonna be no good so closed is the way to go.

Open cans or listening to mostly rock music (like me
wink.gif
) you have a few options at your price point

1. Grado sr60 i   $79
  2. Grado sr80 i   $99
  3. Alessandero MS1   $99
  4. Goldring DR 150   $75 ------->(ebay)

The Grado's are the best headphones you are gonna get for the sound of guitars but they are a bit in your face and after a couple of hours the fatiguing sound is gonna make you wanna take em off
The alessandero's are very slightly more laid back and sound better than the 60's and 80's imo but some people find these and the grado's uncomfortable due to them sitting on the ear not around
The DR150 however are supreme on comfort of this line up they have a detachable QED cable and imo are the best sound from full size cans you are gonna get from this price point.

It would be the DR150 for me
beyersmile.png

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #9,658 of 29,490
Hello head-fi! I'm going to buy a new pair of headphones soon. I own a Senn PX200-II and I really enjoy them, especially for classical music and acoustic stuff like Andy McKee and Don Ross, though my main genre is metal, and I'm a bit of a basshead when it comes to that. I listen to bands like Meshuggah, Opeth, Slayer, Symphony X, Nevermore (as you see a quite varied choice of metal) and I want a tight, punchy (and booming) bass, but not at the expense of mids and highs. However I'd gladly accept a low-focused headphone overshadowing the two. My main choices are at the point:

The XB500

The ATH-M50

The HD-25 (http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alisveris-muzikal-enstruman-dj-studyo-ekipmanlari-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-profi-dj-kulakligi-63709581/detay/? do the pics look authentical? The price is waaay low compared to others in the site)

And

The XB700 (But for almost twice the money as the XB500)

The SR80i (ONLY if it's a pure golden pick as its open and I'll listen to the cans in public)

The AH-D1100 (HEAVILY overpriced though)

Beyer DT770 Pro (See above)

I'll drive the phones from my iphone through a FiiO e5.

So what would you recommend? These are almost all I have access to actually since I live in Turkey.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #9,659 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi! I'm currently an audiophile newbie as I've been using cheap headphones and headsets for the past years when listening to music on my computer/ipod. I've always been a keyboard fanatic, so I figured I might as well get into headphones as well considering I spend a lot of time on the computer (~12 hours a day) due to work/life style. I'm really interested in an open or closed set of headphones that might align with the following specifications:

1. ~$300
    I have plenty of money to throw around so I don't really have a hard limit set on my budget but 300 is comfortable for me right now.
  2. Currently have no amp
    Although I have no amp, I would be interested in getting one now/down the line as I become more learned in the audio trade.
  3. Primarily listening to electronic, house, trance, alternative, screamo, jpop, kpop
    I do listen to almost all genres, but these are my primaries.
  4. Must be very comfortable
    As I mentioned above, I will be wearing these for 12 hours a day so they must be absolutely comfortable.
  5. Will be going into the back of a computer with no sound card, or directly into an iPod
    This means I probably won't have a whole lot of power to drive a pair of headphones.
  6. No speakers
    Don't know if this is relevant, but I don't own a single speaker.

Some headphones I've presently been reviewing are:
ATH AD900
Sennheiser 558
Sennheiser 598
Sennheiser 600
Sennheiser 650
Grado SR225i
AKG 702/1 (would need to buy an amp as well)

The only amp I've really considered is the Fiio e7 and then the e9 down the road to combine them.

With all this info, what are Head-Fi's thoughts?

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #9,660 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the advice... But what do you mean by "a bit in your face" and "fatiguing?"

EDIT: Also, I might be able to get very very lightly used ath-m50's from a friend who bought them a week ago and is already upgrading. Probably for a hundred or less. As far as I can tell, the ath m50's are usually ~$150. So my original question becomes: what is the best-sounding pair of headphones for rock, jazz, a bit of pop, etc. that either costs <= $100 or is the ath-m50's.

Well  the grado sound is kinda hard to describe, think of it this way with dr150 so to speak it feels like you are on the 5th row at at a concert where as grado's are like being on stage. some people like it some people don't it's personal preferance and due to the up-frontness of the grado some people find that they cant listen to them for long periods due to this sound signature, however it doesnt bother me.

And with regards to the ath-m50's they are highly regarded hear on head-fi and you will probably struggle to get better closed bacck cans at this price point however as i said they are a closed design

A closed design is effectively with a driver inside a case with a solid back so no sound can get in or out which is good if you want to be in your own little bubble so to speak because they don't let the outside world in, but they do suffer from internal resonance which affects sound quality they also can sound closed in but as a plus they usually have a better bass response.
Open designs such as grado are a driver in a case ith a open back this allows better airflow to the driver thus giving a better and more natural sound but if there is noise in your listening environment such as a child screaming on a bus you are gonna hear what they are saying and they are gonna hear the music youre playing.     

Overall open headphones will give you a much better sound than the same price point closed back cans.

So to answer your question either the alessandero ms1 or the goldring dr150
if you get the chance try and audition them both and let your ears decide
beyersmile.png

if you cant audition I would play it safe with comfort and imo better SQ on their side The Goldring DR 150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back