++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 29, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #9,631 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm stuck between the Sennheiser and Audio Technica M50. If extended my budget to £150 (approximately US $230), probably for next year, is there any other ones worth noting?

The choice is easily made depending if you want/need open or closed headphones...

Quote:
hello, i need a quick help to get a headphone for
christmas, here in Brazil a good headphone (that
costs 100 $ in USA, here it costs around 600
dollars) So I need a recommendation of a good
headphone to private listening, but also good for
bass. (my hobby is dubstep music producing).
I plan to spend 100~ 150 USD headphone (price in
USA)
but it needs to have good isolation, i was thinking
about a Sennheiser hd555 or a good bass sony
headphone, what do you think?
thanks very much

AKG K518/181
Sony XB500/700
Pioneer HDJ-500

Keep an eye on the sale forums here or ebay. Buying used is probably the best way to get headphones without ridiculous import fees.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #9,632 of 29,490
The choice is easily made depending if you want/need open or closed headphones...

AKG K518/181
Sony XB500/700
Pioneer HDJ-500

Keep an eye on the sale forums here or ebay. Buying used is probably the best way to get headphones without ridiculous import fees.

The pioneer isnt over ear, is it?

but thnks for the answer, i am considering to get a sony xb700

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #9,633 of 29,490
Hey everyone :]. New here to head-fi.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that can sound great for music, but can also work for playing games and watching films and such. I've been told by my buddy its better to get headphones that are open, non-isolating, and have a large soundstage. He recommended the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

Would those be my best choice? I really liked the Audio Technica M50s before his recommendation. I listen to all types of music, so I can't really pinpoint, but when I listen to hip-hop, I like a hard bass and the sounds of the snares and such with rock. I'm just not sure how those would sound with video games.

Thanks a ton guys!

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #9,634 of 29,490
Hey,

I really need an advice now.

I don't know what to choose between Sennheiser HD 25 and Sennheiser PXC 310.

I've listened to Senn HD 25 SP and BOSE QC 3 and was pretty surprised by Bose's noise cancelling technology. I didn't have the chance to try Senn's NoiseGuard yet so I can't pronounce myself. I'm going to tell you what I'm looking for and probably you might be able to help me.

I want the headphones with the clearest sound (between Senn Hd 25 and PXC 310, obviously), which don't have any distortions at a high volume and which I don't have to press with my hands for a better sound quality.

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

Cheers.

P.S. Just wanted to say that I've tried Beats and they are crap.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #9,635 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm gearing towards closed headphones. Which means I may go for the ATH M50. One that particularly caught my intrest, which lies in my price range that's also closed back and if I decide to buy one next year, is the V-Moda Crossfade M-80 but i'm not sure if that suits my type of music I listed in my previous post.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #9,636 of 29,490
HD 25.  You don't want noise canceling for sound quality.

Quote:
Hey,

I really need an advice now.

I don't know what to choose between Sennheiser HD 25 and Sennheiser PXC 310.

I've listened to Senn HD 25 SP and BOSE QC 3 and was pretty surprised by Bose's noise cancelling technology. I didn't have the chance to try Senn's NoiseGuard yet so I can't pronounce myself. I'm going to tell you what I'm looking for and probably you might be able to help me.

I want the headphones with the clearest sound (between Senn Hd 25 and PXC 310, obviously), which don't have any distortions at a high volume and which I don't have to press with my hands for a better sound quality.

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

Cheers.

P.S. Just wanted to say that I've tried Beats and they are crap.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #9,637 of 29,490
Hey all, I didn't think I would need advice so soon after I bought my AKG 240 stutio, but here I am!!!

I bought the K240 a few weeks ago and has been listening to them since then, everyday. I absolutely love them ,the soundstage is really amazing for 100 bucks, and the bass is enough for me. However, due to its semi-open structure and its marketing position, I think i'm ready to go one step above, meaning < $300 pair.

My main musics are: hiphop, pop, foreign music, old classic rock, some classical music. However I am really not a bass head and I really feel overwhelming with 2 hours of boom boom paws....

I have narrowed down to two choices, if i go closed, it will be DT 1350 (for its portability) , if I go open, it will be AKG K701.
I'm also interested in sennheiser, but don't know how I will like its hd598 (hd 650 and 600 are a bit out of my budget)

Any suggestion is welcomed, such as ultrasone, however please elaborate a little since I have very limited knowledge on them.

My setup currently is: Sager Notebook, iphone 4, Fiio E10 and Fiio E9, and I don't see upgrading those in the next 6 months

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #9,638 of 29,490
Quote:
I listen to almost only metal and I'm looking for full-size headphones with the following qualities:
- Circumaural
- Good for metal
- Comfortable
- In $200-$300 dollar range (incl. amp if necessary - but at this price point I don't think I'd need an amp?)

Right now I have HD-280s - I'm relatively happy with them, especially in terms of fit and comfort, but they're falling apart after 7 years and its time to upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Quote:

Open: Grado something
Closed: Ultrasone HFi 680/780

Why are those Ultrasone models particularly recommended? Couldn't find an entry for them on head-fi.

I was also looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - anyone have thoughts on this one for the above criteria?

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #9,639 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for a second pair of headphones to accompany my HD-25's. They're a great pair of headphones and are good for rock, but now I'd like something that's almost the opposite. I'd like headphones with a large soundstage and a bit more thump to the bass (but still crisp, and not muddled). So, in list form:

- Circumaural
- Closed
- Comfortable for long periods of listening - (I used to have the Beats and (disregarding the music quality) I found the weight of the headphones to become annoying after listening for a while)
- Large soundstage
- Heavy, but crisp bass
- Preferably below $200, but that's up for consideration

Thanks for any advice

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9,640 of 29,490
please help me to decide what to buy!!!!!!

i listen to metal and dubstep.

my headphone choices are:

1) Grado sr60i
2) Sony ZX700
3) Philips SHL5800

all them have the same price here in the philippines so that's why i chose them.

thanks in advance

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #9,641 of 29,490
Armaegis said:
 Best isolation I've heard in full sized cans: Beyer DT770, Senn HD280/380

for on-ear: Senn HD25, Beyer DT1350/T50p, P5

Of these, the DT770, HD280/380 and HD25 should be easy to find within budget. The others are typically a bit higher.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my mother saw a good deal online and went for it. Hopefully they're all right.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #9,642 of 29,490
I'm about to purchase the Beats by Dre headphones but so many people claim there are others just as good or better for a cheaper price. Can you guys give me examples to check out?

I'm looking for 4 key things:

1) Noise cancellation. Since i will be wearing these on the go this is important.

2) Bass. 99.99 percent of my music collection is hiphop and downtempo so I'm a big fan of this.

3) Nuances and intricate sounds. As mentioned above, I listen to downtempo so i would like headphones that could bring out sounds that I wouldnt notice on average headphones.

4) Style. Since I will be wearing these outdoors i'm looking for something that looks good. I'd also prefer something small and not too bulky if possible.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #9,643 of 29,490
Looking for closed headphones that excel in mids and trebles with a good soundstage. I do not care about bass at all. Looking for a similar sound signature to CK10 or HD600. Comfort is important and isolation would be nice. I am looking to spend $100-300.

The m50 had too much bass and lacked the treble I was looking for. I also found it uncomfortable because i have a big head. HD25-1 had too small of a sound signature for me.

I was thinking SRH840 or 940, but it seems like I am looking for the 940 because of its treble. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #9,644 of 29,490
I was actually listening to my 940's as I read the first paragraph, and I thought to myself, this guy wants a pair of 940's. I love the mids and highs on the 940's; female vocals really shine. I have the M50's as well, and their comfort certainly left me wanting. The velour pads are a big plus for comfort, and the isolation is decent if not pretty good. The soundstage is quite nice as well for closed headphones.

Obviously, I'm sure you'll want other opinions from more veteran Head-Fi'ers, but I thought I'd chime in just because of the similarities in our headphone choices. And although the 940's seem to be a highly polarizing set of cans, I don't think you'd be disappointed by them
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Looking for closed headphones that excel in mids and trebles with a good soundstage. I do not care about bass at all. Looking for a similar sound signature to CK10 or HD600. Comfort is important and isolation would be nice. I am looking to spend $100-300.

The m50 had too much bass and lacked the treble I was looking for. I also found it uncomfortable because i have a big head. HD25-1 had too small of a sound signature for me.

I was thinking SRH840 or 940, but it seems like I am looking for the 940 because of its treble. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #9,645 of 29,490
If you like bass, take a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club
I'm not that into bassy headphones, unfortunately, so I can't help you further than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back