++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #9,496 of 29,490
What would everyone recommend for best all around full size headphones for Music and Gaming?  If possible I'd like to buy just one set.  Based on what I've read my best bet might be the DT990s but maybe I missed something. 

My gaming sources are the xbox360 and PS3.  What dolby decoder/amp would you recommend?  Is there an alternative to the astro mixamp?

My music sources will be ipod/iphone/macbook.  In addition I also have a vintage stereo receiver I use for my turntable.

I'm a noob in the audiophile world(esp. headphones) and would appreciate your help in making the right purchase.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #9,497 of 29,490
Hello all!
Ok, so I've narrowed down my search to 3 in ear headphones. Sennheiser's IE7, IE8, and Monster Cable's Pro gold Turbines. I Really love bass  but still want clear mids and highs, along with durability. Also, would any of these benefit from the FiiO e7? Please help me decide which one would most fit my criteria!

-Lots of bass and sub bass
-Texture in the bass region
-Clear mids (not the most important)
-Clean treble
-Build quality
-Large soundstage
-Good for drum and bass mixes from artists like TYKE, DisasZt, and NC-17

--Please compare and contrast these headphones for me, and give me any advice that you can!

Many thanks,
Connor

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #9,498 of 29,490
Hi
I'm looking for some headphones around $300. They are strictly for home use, and sound leakage is not a problem.
I will be buying a $200-300 DAC/amp to power them.

I listen to a lot of different stuff, but mainly "indie" folk/pop/rock and some electronica (ambient/glitch). So no jazz, classical or metal (or any kind of rock thats heavy on distorted guitars).
Some examples:
http://grooveshark.com/s/Monkeys+Uptown/3HfbmD?src=5
http://grooveshark.com/s/Fahrenheit+Fair+Enough/2L4Hjm?src=5
http://brokeforfree.bandcamp.com/track/the-album-leaf-streamside-broke-for-free-remix

I would also like them to do fairly well with movies, but that would probably only be what I use them for 10% of the time.

The Beyerdynamics dt880 (600 ohm) seem to fit the bill quite well, but are there others that would be better suited for my needs?

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #9,499 of 29,490
Hey guys (again...)

I am pretty sure i'm going to get some sennheiser hd25s but as it's the first serious money i've ever spent on headphones i want to check.

For, good noise isolation, comfort, overall sound quality (non amped, using a htc) (used for rock, metal, jazz, orchestral stuff, swing some hip hop), durability and ok looks for less than £250 (preferably £200) the sennheiser is the best out of:

Sennhesier hd25,
ath-m50,
B&W P5,
Beyerdynamic DT1350

Also any other suggestions ar welcome
Thanks (I know this isn't the first time i've asked, sorry but i just want to be sure)

Edit: you probably realised, but these need to be portable.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #9,500 of 29,490
So I just went to a local guitarcenter and demo'd a SRH840.
Here's some of my (quick and very brief) impressions:
-Neutral as ****
-Pretty heavy
-If the headband didn't hurt, might be comfortable, but the way it is the top of my head still hurts after that 10-15 min demo
-Lacking bass (I mean it's there and it can have impact but it's not exactly what I'm looking for)
-Not fun for listening

Wish I had more time to try out the AT-M50 and DT770 PROs that were also on the same shelf but I only had enough time for a quick demo of the neutral sounding SRH840 (keep in mind the SRH840 prooobably didn't have any burn-in whatsoever).

But, what I realized was that I wanted a little more bass than an SRH840 could offer, was just wondering if I could get any suggestions? (People vouching for the DT770? M50? FA-003? Other suggestions welcome! Preferably closed, driving the headphone out of an iPod, preferably around the same 150$USD price range)

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #9,501 of 29,490
You may be able to get the HD518 on that budget.

Quote:
I was going to buy the Sennheiser HD 598, but unforeseen circumstances are forcing me to narrow my budget a lot, so now i'm bound to a maximum expense of 75EUR (100USD). The main field of usage would be gaming on ps3. I can't afford an amp right now, so i'll connect them to either the hp-out on the tv or directly to the ps3 through a RCA-to-3.5mm adapter, whichever will make 'em sound better. For the music listening part, i have my pc connected to a technics sa-ch550, so i have an amp for that. After some research i noticed that the Sennheiser HD429 (70EUR) can fit my needs, can you confirm this? Can you suggest other alternatives in that price range?

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #9,502 of 29,490
Hey guys, just looking for some preliminary suggestions as to my next upgrade. Probably going to be looking into the $200-400 range and probably my first true mid-fi/low end hifi can.

After listening to my M50s for about a month I have come to be really satisfied with them but they have also helped me come to realize some things I want into my next can.

- They definitely need to be open and full sized, I appreciate the sound that comes with that type of headphone.

- Must be a balanced headphone that can fit multiple styles. I am a very diverse listener and I think the problem is both my current headphones...well, aren't the most diverse lol. The M50 actually is pretty balanced in pure sound response(it being a studio monitor and all) but it's cramped staging really detracts from a lot of jazz and classical music. So I think having a can that has the bass response and slam to handle modern pop, hip-hop, and R&B but still be subtle enough with a great sound stage to cater towards classical fans and the like would be suitable. This is probably a bit too demanding but anything that can get close to this is probably right down my alley.

- Being great for movies is always a plus. I love putting my AD's on for a nice film
darthsmile.gif

The rest I'm not too sure on. I've never really looked into this field and I just need some cans to look into while I stock the fund back up. This will probably be my last can before I look into upgrading equipment again.

Just throwing out some popular cans within this range

Sennheiser HD650
AKG Q701
Beyerdynamic DT990

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #9,503 of 29,490
Sennheiser HD600 or HD650.

Quote:
Hey guys, just looking for some preliminary suggestions as to my next upgrade. Probably going to be looking into the $200-400 range and probably my first true mid-fi/low end hifi can.

After listening to my M50s for about a month I have come to be really satisfied with them but they have also helped me come to realize some things I want into my next can.

- They definitely need to be open and full sized, I appreciate the sound that comes with that type of headphone.

- Must be a balanced headphone that can fit multiple styles. I am a very diverse listener and I think the problem is both my current headphones...well, aren't the most diverse lol. The M50 actually is pretty balanced in pure sound response(it being a studio monitor and all) but it's cramped staging really detracts from a lot of jazz and classical music. So I think having a can that has the bass response and slam to handle modern pop, hip-hop, and R&B but still be subtle enough with a great sound stage to cater towards classical fans and the like would be suitable. This is probably a bit too demanding but anything that can get close to this is probably right down my alley.

- Being great for movies is always a plus. I love putting my AD's on for a nice film
darthsmile.gif

The rest I'm not too sure on. I've never really looked into this field and I just need some cans to look into while I stock the fund back up. This will probably be my last can before I look into upgrading equipment again.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #9,504 of 29,490

Quote:
What would everyone recommend for best all around full size headphones for Music and Gaming?  If possible I'd like to buy just one set.  Based on what I've read my best bet might be the DT990s but maybe I missed something. 
My gaming sources are the xbox360 and PS3.  What dolby decoder/amp would you recommend?  Is there an alternative to the astro mixamp?
My music sources will be ipod/iphone/macbook.  In addition I also have a vintage stereo receiver I use for my turntable.
I'm a noob in the audiophile world(esp. headphones) and would appreciate your help in making the right purchase.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro or Premium?
32-Ohm, 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm?

Any Beyerdynamic DT 32-Ohm headphone will have the least amount of bass.
The 600-Ohm versions will have the best sound
The 250-Ohm versions will sound almost as good as the 600-Ohm versions.

The Turtle Beach Earforce DSS ($70) has Dolby Headphone, a digital optical input and is cheaper then the Astro Mix-Amp.
But has one or two less features then the MixAmp
Not sure if the DSS will work with even 250-Ohm headphones?

You can get a Fiio E6 headphone amplifier ($30) with the Fiio L3 or L9 cable and the E6 will plug into the Line out Dock on the iPod & iPhone.
Not sure if the MacBook has a Line Out Dock?

Hope this helps.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #9,505 of 29,490
Thanks for the recommendation  on the Earforce DSS.  I'll definitely add that to the shopping list.

I'm thinking the DT990 may be overkill for my first good set of headphones and I'd like to avoid the need for an additional amp for now....

I think I might go for either the Senn HD598 or ATH AD900.  I've read reviews for both and am leaning towards the HD598.  Might even save some money and go with the HD558s.  Are there any other sets I should be considering in this range?

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro or Premium?
32-Ohm, 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm?

Any Beyerdynamic DT 32-Ohm headphone will have the least amount of bass.
The 600-Ohm versions will have the best sound
The 250-Ohm versions will sound almost as good as the 600-Ohm versions.

The Turtle Beach Earforce DSS ($70) has Dolby Headphone, a digital optical input and is cheaper then the Astro Mix-Amp.
But has one or two less features then the MixAmp
Not sure if the DSS will work with even 250-Ohm headphones?

You can get a Fiio E6 headphone amplifier ($30) with the Fiio L3 or L9 cable and the E6 will plug into the Line out Dock on the iPod & iPhone.
Not sure if the MacBook has a Line Out Dock?

Hope this helps.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #9,507 of 29,490
Hello all! I'm looking to buy a pair of cans for my iPod for around 100 bucks. I was looking at the ATH-M50s, but they are slightly out of my range and I'm not too sure they are really meant for iPods/MP3 players. Listen to a lot of Rock/Metal. Thanks for the help!

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #9,508 of 29,490
I've been trying to decide for day's what to get for Christmas and i finally decided I think a good pair of headphones would be a good investment. I've seen lots of beats solo hd's around school but I think they are just to flashy and wouldn't look good give 2 years time. I hear that they don't sound that good too. Now I'm no audiofile I just want to listen to good sounding music coming out of my phone and laptop (mp3s mostly). I don't want big bulky headphones either that would look really weird walking around school with on (I like the size of the beats). I have been looking at the AIAIAI's TMA-1 which I hear are really good but a tad expensive personally. Are there any other good alternatives? 
I mostly listen to pop i guess with rap,rock and country thrown in sometimes. thanks

ps Really want them just to be on ear headphone not full size huge

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #9,509 of 29,490

Quote:
I've been trying to decide for day's what to get for Christmas and i finally decided I think a good pair of headphones would be a good investment. I've seen lots of beats solo hd's around school but I think they are just to flashy and wouldn't look good give 2 years time. I hear that they don't sound that good too. Now I'm no audiofile I just want to listen to good sounding music coming out of my phone and laptop (mp3s mostly). I don't want big bulky headphones either that would look really weird walking around school with on (I like the size of the beats). I have been looking at the AIAIAI's TMA-1 which I hear are really good but a tad expensive personally. Are there any other good alternatives? 
I mostly listen to pop i guess with rap,rock and country thrown in sometimes. thanks

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back