++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 25, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9,481 of 29,490

Quote:
With a mic included, the Senn PC360 is also recommended.

What's the big difference between PC360 and 350? That the 350's are closed?

I've heard a lot negative about them, but also that they are decent after a period of use.. And at 110$ they seem like a good deal. Not worth it compared to the 360?

(I did post a thread about this accidentally, I completely missed this thread..)

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #9,482 of 29,490

I have been doing some research via Google on headphones so I know which one I should buy. However, every time I see one that seems mildly perfect, the reviews are always contradictory. This goes for almost any headphone. I heard so many good reviews about the Audio-Technica ATHM50S, but there were just as many negative reviews. I'm becoming frustrated that I cannot find just one good pair of headphones that satisfies my needs. If anyone can suggest a good pair for $100~$200 max, I'd appreciate that.

Some things I'm looking for include a good, deep, yet not overpowering bass, and also excels in all the other categories.
Some stuff I listen to: The XX, Silversun Pickups, Kid CuDi, etc. Mostly laid back stuff.

Someone please help my endless search for a pair of headphones already, thanks.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #9,483 of 29,490
[size=medium]So I’m thinking of buying a DAC/AMP and need some advice.[/size]

[size=medium]Setup for my PC is a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (gaming and music) and my PS3 has an Astro MixAMP hooked up to it via optical. (gaming and blu-ray movies/tv). Current headphones I use are Sennheiser HD 598.[/size]

[size=medium]If I get an iBasso D12 will it be better than the Astro MixAMP? If I hook the D12 up to my computer via optical will it take the place of the soundcard or default as a amp?[/size]

[size=medium]I’m thinking I may be better off buying an AMP for my PC to compliment the X-Fi and getting something similar, but better than, the Astro MixAMP.[/size]

[size=medium]Thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated, thanks for your help![/size]

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #9,485 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm kind of an amateur listener - I'm only looking for headphones in the $50 (USD) range.

They need to be closed and have a somewhat attractive appearance if possible. Also, I'll probably walk (leisurely - nothing athletic) with these from time to time so don't want them to be too loose fitting. I mainly listen to electronic genres such as house and electro. I like bass a lot but don't want it to sound unrealistic. I also listen to some indie and pop, but usually these still have traces of electronics in them so I'm not sure whether that's relevant or not. I don't plan on purchasing an amp, and my music mainly comes from my computer and sometimes iPod.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

What about AKG K518 le's? They have strong bass, but it's a bit overwhelming sometimes. They are good sounding in their price range (if not compared to Superlux).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the DT880? I much preferred the balance of that one over the 990.

Yeah, but they cost 100€ more, over the budget.. Im leaning towards DT990 now, if I don't find anything better
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #9,486 of 29,490

Quote:
What's the big difference between PC360 and 350? That the 350's are closed?

I've heard a lot negative about them, but also that they are decent after a period of use.. And at 110$ they seem like a good deal. Not worth it compared to the 360?

(I did post a thread about this accidentally, I completely missed this thread..)

The 350 is based on the HD380 chassis as far as I'm aware. At $110 that's actually cheaper than buying the 380 by itself. 

Quote:

I have been doing some research via Google on headphones so I know which one I should buy. However, every time I see one that seems mildly perfect, the reviews are always contradictory. This goes for almost any headphone. I heard so many good reviews about the Audio-Technica ATHM50S, but there were just as many negative reviews. I'm becoming frustrated that I cannot find just one good pair of headphones that satisfies my needs. If anyone can suggest a good pair for $100~$200 max, I'd appreciate that.

Some things I'm looking for include a good, deep, yet not overpowering bass, and also excels in all the other categories.
Some stuff I listen to: The XX, Silversun Pickups, Kid CuDi, etc. Mostly laid back stuff.

Someone please help my endless search for a pair of headphones already, thanks.

Since you're doing due diligence and reading up on reviews, the next step is to wander over to an electronics or music store and try out headphones. We're all just a bunch of parrots squawking our heads off over here. There's no substitute for listening to headphones yourself. 

Quote:
Yeah, but they cost 100€ more, over the budget.. Im leaning towards DT990 now, if I don't find anything better
smily_headphones1.gif

Owch, really? even for the pro models? Ok well for that difference, just get the DT990 then.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #9,487 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a pair of sub-$51.24 headphones for music (mostly trance stuff) at HOME. Did a quick search and came up with a few models.
- Sennheiser HD428
- Beyerdynamic DT-235
- Audio Technica M35 or M40fs (they're the same price on Amazon).

I'd love to get some pointers. Is there a better pair at the same price range? Again, will be using them at home mostly so I'm not too concerned about size.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #9,488 of 29,490

Quote:
If you've really enjoyed the sound and comfort of the A900, it makes sense to move up the family line to the W1000x.

In case the W1000X are out of my price range, what would you guys recommend? the ATH-A900X (are they a noticeable improvement over the original A900?) or the Sony MDR-Z1000?

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #9,489 of 29,490
[size=12pt]Hello all :D

yeah im here to ask you all which headphones would you recommend for me, that[/size]

1. [size=12pt]Packs good bass, does not compromise sound quality(I generally listen to trance/dance/techno/ more)[/size]
  2. Does not require an amp
  3. Below 100 USD
  4. Portability not an issue

I currently own a portapro, but now I want some headphone that I can use for both gaming and music. Wonder if anyone can tell me the options available? Thanks a bunch! :p

I am currently thinking of Sony MDR-XB500 or xb700, any suggestions would be welcome!
    dt880smile.png

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #9,490 of 29,490
I was going to buy the Sennheiser HD 598, but unforeseen circumstances are forcing me to narrow my budget a lot, so now i'm bound to a maximum expense of 75EUR (100USD). The main field of usage would be gaming on ps3. I can't afford an amp right now, so i'll connect them to either the hp-out on the tv or directly to the ps3 through a RCA-to-3.5mm adapter, whichever will make 'em sound better. For the music listening part, i have my pc connected to a technics sa-ch550, so i have an amp for that. After some research i noticed that the Sennheiser HD429 (70EUR) can fit my needs, can you confirm this? Can you suggest other alternatives in that price range?

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #9,491 of 29,490
I have narrowed my search down to the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro's, and 990 pro's, is there a difference other than price? I need good tight bass, a great soundstage, and great clarity.

Could you tell me if a Denon AVR 1611 reciever would be able to drive a 250 ohm headphone to its fullest capabilities?

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #9,492 of 29,490

Hello,

I've been using the JVC HARX700 for a while, which are okay, but I think I'm now in the market for an significant upgrade. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for general listening (mostly music, a little gaming) that's a significant step up in quality from the HARX700. I'm a student, so price is an issue, but I can afford to spend up to around $200 USD.

I mainly listen to progressive rock, classic rock, and jazz. I like a more low/mid focused sound with very clear and precise, but not necessarily boomy bass (I want to be able to follow a bassline, but I don't need the thump). Treble is nice, so long as it isn't terribly fatiguing.  

Build quality and comfort are very important to me, probably even more important than the sound quality. I'd like these to last me quite a while, and I plan to use them a lot. I don't really know where I stand on the whole open vs closed debate though. I like the airiness of an open headphone (the HARX700 get hot and sweaty after an hour or two), but I'd still like good bass and I'll probably be using them mostly in a dorm room, so I don't want too much sound leaking.

I don't have a headphone amp, and I don't think I'm in the market for one right now, because I don't really have the money to spare, so I'd like something that sounds good unamped either from my iPod or from my desktop. Buying an amp could be a possibility for the future, though.

These are the headphones currently at the top of my list:

Beyerdynamic DT 770

Shure SRH840

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Fischer Audio FA-003

Can somebody comment on which of these best fits my needs/wants, or if there are some other headphones I should be considering in their place? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #9,493 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm looking for a set of cans, but been a little out of the loop in the head-fi game... hoping to get some recs here.

Here are some of the headphones I've owned over the years, with some impressions. My observations probably aren't accurate, but maybe a seasoned head-fier can understand me.

Sony EX-71 - Rubbish. My ears still hurt from those headphones. 
Sennheiser PX100 (old version) - loved these. Didn't mind the bass, and I loved how "fun" they were. made just about every recording sound good, but probably didn't do any justice to some of my higher-quality rips. Cord/jack eventually failed on me.
Senn HD 201 - Was a little underwhelmed at first, but were pretty nice after some burn in. Lacked bass for my tastes, didn't quite cut it for my electronic & hip hop collection. All other genres sounded decent though. Headband snapped after I sat on them at school at the time. D'oh.
Nuforce X700 - Maybe my favorite headphones thus far. The level of "clarity" seems like a notch above any other headphone I've had, while they still maintain being fun and "musical". The cord/jack is out and barely plays out of one (left) side, but I'm intent on sending these back since they're still on warranty. 
V-Moda 4S Remix - Impulsively bought these at Costco while waiting for a roll of film to develop. I intend to use these for "everyday" use, on my phone, ipod, etc. I can already tell they're not in the same league as my Nuforce's, but they appear to be much more neutral. After some burn-in, the treble isn't as harsh and the mids are excellent. Good recordings shine, while they sort of expose poor recordings/rips.

So... I'm looking for a set of circumaural headphones. Preferably I'd like for them to be closed, but open would be fine too. These will stay at home, so they won't share the same fate as my HD-201. However, I'd still like a decently durable product... preferably one with a detachable cord, connecting on only one side of the headphones.

I'd like the cans to be on par with the X700's: a notch above budget & entry levels, but still cheap lol. My collection consists of mp3s ripped at 192 or 320, and I'd just drive these through my computer. I listen to just about every genre of music (lately: David Bowie, Marvin Gaye, Fela Kuti and The Weeknd), but I do have a LARGE collection of hip hop music and I feel like my next headphones have to account for this... while still doing justice to other "traditional" recordings/genres.

Lastly, I'm hoping to spend less than $100. Thanks Head-Fi!

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #9,494 of 29,490

Quote:
In case the W1000X are out of my price range, what would you guys recommend? the ATH-A900X (are they a noticeable improvement over the original A900?) or the Sony MDR-Z1000?

Have not seen any reviews on the new Audio Technica ATH-A900X, very few places in the U.S.A. even have them in stock.
I believe they took some of the A1000X tech and put it into the A900X.
I would guess the A900X is an improvement over the A900s, but by how much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back